AVS Forum banner

Marantz SR5005 / Marantz SR6005 HDMI V1.4 ABT AV Receiver Owners' Thread

226K views 885 replies 240 participants last post by  Dbman05 
#1 ·

Marantz appears to have some very competitive mid-range receivers out soon. They have certainly pushed featureset (abt chips with digital video scaling, 6 hdmi for the 6005).

Traded emails this morning with Marantz Sales Rep who confirmed it will be shipping this month.

Now debating whether the 6005 is worth the extra $200.

Link to Outlaw 5005 manual: http://www.outlawaudio.com/marantzguidesr5005.html

See less See more
#653 ·
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the help on my previous post.

I have another question regarding distance cables run and female-to-female for cable extension.

Is this ok with signal sending from the amp? Or I will suffer lots or less of signal loss? And will this degrade the subwoofer bass?

I already have a 15 fts cable but it is glued to the wall and I don't want to rip it out and get a long cable. I have order a 12fts cable from monoprice and returning it will be a hassle since it is shipped from US to Canada.

Thanks all,

Nhsice

#655 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowx800 /forum/post/22018267

I'm looking at 5005 or a 6005

Any big differences in the two?

How hot do they run ?

Are the 5006 and 6006 any better just did not like the port hole?

the difference i saw is that the 6005 has a better onscreen menu, overlaid over the pic during play, and 10 watt per channel advantage. the 5005 i have does not run hot at all. noticeably warm though.

#656 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynexit /forum/post/22074825

Hey gang, I've got an SR6005. I'd like to use a record player for my LP's. Do I need some sort of Orr amp or can I just plug it into one of the other inputs? Thanks !

(new to the vinyl thing)

The 6005 doesn't have a dedicated PHONO input so unless the record player comes with it's own pre-amp, you'll need to add a phono pre-amp similar to this one before plugging into any of the analog inputs on the 6005.

#657 ·
Hi everyone,

I don't know if I should start a new thread regarding the issue I am having currently but I rather keep it here.

I am encounter an odd issue with volume on my sr5005. Whenever, I increase the volume on the knob or from the remote control, the db shows on the screen will go from -80 to -70 then back to -75.

I have reset the processor but it is not helping me. I want to ask if any of you guys have the same thing happened to you?

#659 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1261847/marantz-sr5005-marantz-sr6005-hdmi-v1-4-abt-av-receiver-owners-thread/630#post_22108929

^^

So you're saying you rotate the volume knob from -80db to -70db ... stop at -70db and the volume display returns to -75db? Does this happen at volumes where you can actually hear something?

No, this does not happen at all when I turn the knob from -80 to -79 ( this is when I can hear something). The odd thing is 25% of the time it does not exhibit the problem and the 75% it does. Even, it is from -70 to -60 then it revert to -63.

#660 ·
Sorry I forgot to include this. If I keep rotating the knob, it exhibit the same symptom. Let says if I want it to be -60 for my reference listening. the volume will display -70 then -73 when I keep turning the knob clockwise. It also does it on the volume from the remote control.

#661 ·
Your current issue not withstanding (ie. volume changing on it's own), if the volume knob were responding correctly there's just no way you could hear something at -79db when the lowest setting is -80db with volume increasing to a maximum of +18db and the vast majority of owners likely need to get to at least -50db to even hear anything. Are you sure you're not talking about the "absolute" scale in which volume increases from 1-99 where "reference" volume is 81?

#662 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1261847/marantz-sr5005-marantz-sr6005-hdmi-v1-4-abt-av-receiver-owners-thread/660#post_22109052

Your current issue not withstanding (ie. volume changing on it's own), if the volume knob were responding correctly there's just no way you could hear something at -79db when the lowest setting is -80db with volume increasing to a maximum of +18db and the vast majority of owners likely need to get to at least -50db to even hear anything. Are you sure you're not talking about the "absolute" scale in which volume increases from 1-99 where "reference" volume is 81?

I do hear people sang at -79 where the lowest is -80. All I have to do is increase volume by 0.5 and I can hear sound. Maybe you refer to levels was set by after you run room correction.

I have modified the db by increasing it after I run room reconnection if that is what you referring too to be able to hear you have to increase the volume a lot.

This has never happen up until now.

#663 ·
I have owned the SR6005 for about 9 months now, it seems the audio is sometimes ahead of the video when watching blurays or directv. I contacted Marantz and asked them if there was a firmware available or if there was a way to check what firmware version I have, they were not helpful at all and would not provide me the information ( i am aware that any firmware updates need to be performed by an authorized service center). Does anyone know how to check the firmware version on the SR6005 and what the latest firmware versions resolve? Also, the video on directv only seems to sometimes distort slightly, not sure if this is directv or the receiver. I am running mediabridge and monster hdmi on all my connections.

#664 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartwater  /t/1261847/marantz-sr5005-marantz-s...v-receiver-owners-thread/650_50#post_22126362

I have owned the SR6005 for about 9 months now, it seems the audio is sometimes ahead of the video when watching blurays or directv.

You can use the "A.Delay" button (p. 59) on the remote to delay the audio to more closely match the video.

#665 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1261847/marantz-sr5005-marantz-sr6005-hdmi-v1-4-abt-av-receiver-owners-thread/660#post_22126464

You can use the "A.Delay" button (p. 59) on the remote to delay the audio to more closely match the video.

Thanks JDS.. does anyone have any info on the firmware question or possibly a web link?

#666 ·
Have the option to buy a SR5005 used for sub-$200. Wanting to replace an Onkyo SR-706 with this...

Good move? or no?

Also, what should I look for/test to make sure it has not been tampered with. I'm familiar with Onkyo and Denon warranty repair work...but not so much Marantz.

Thanks in advance.

#668 ·
Greetings, all. I have an issue that I haven't been able to figure out. Last Christmas, we picked up the Sony 55" HX729, and a Marantz SR5005 AVR. Nice setup on both counts. Haven't made the jump to satellite HD, as money has been tight, need to take out some trees, etc. Using Dish Network---happily I might add---for 12 years now, and will move to the Hopper system in the next couple of months.

Not sure if it's the TV, the AVR, the satellite receiver, or some combo of how they're setup and interact. I'm pretty sure I have the settings consistent between input settings, both for video and audio, but something is clearly amiss.

The AVR has a setting for SAT, which goes through HDMI, and TV, which goes through the coax, as it's setup right now.

Here's the issue:

If the input for the TV is TV, it goes through the coax, and the picture quality is noticeably better, but it doesn't go through the audio of the AVR correctly. It's noticeably quieter, and not as crisp, and isn't at full power, or full 5.1 mode. Again, I think I have the audio settings matching the way it is on HDMI.

If the input is set to HDMI, the audio is improved, but the picture quality suffers.

Not sure if all this will go away when we move to the Hopper system or not, when it all goes through HDMI.

I'm posting this to the HX729 thread as well. I used the Setup Guide that Outlaw Audio put together, as it was significantly more useful than the one provided by Marantz. I'm usually pretty handy with technical matters like these, but this has me kind of stumped.

If anyone has any thoughts or help, I'd be greatly appreciative. Thanks kindly in advance.

Doug

#669 ·
I guess I am not sure what is going on with your set up. You have HDMI going from the Satellite to the AVR for audio and Coax going from the Satellite to the TV for picture? Is that correct? I would just send the HDMI from the Satellite to the AVR and then HDMI from the AVR to the TV. That's how I have all my stuff hooked up. Everything goes to the AVR and then one HDMI cable up to the TV.

#670 ·
Can I use the Pre Amp outputs and the Speaker outputs at the same time ?

I recently purchased a used Marantz SR6005, I have not hooked it up yet. My intention was to use the Speaker outputs for a 7.1 home theater setup in one area of the family room, and use the Pre Amp outputs to drive a 2.1 or sometimes 4.1 setup with dedicated speakers for music in another part of the room. The Pre Amp outputs would drive the Main In on two vintage Marantz Amps, (170DC and 1122DC ) that I purchased in the late 70s and have recently brought back from retirement.

Unfortunately the manual for the Marantz SR6005 states,"• When an external power amp is connected to the PRE OUT terminal, do not connect speakers to the speaker terminals."

I'm not usually one to go against the manufacturer's recommendations, but aren't the Pre Amp outs and the Main In sections usually fairly high impedance and can easily withstand being split at least once with no ill affects ?

I have never noticed this kind of statement in the literature for any receiver before, Does anybody know why it would be specified this way ? A look back at the manual for the SR6004 could be interpreted to imply the same restriction, but is not explicit,"Be sure to connect each speaker to the corresponding external power amplifier."

I was really hoping to use this configuration, since I do not have room to add another power amp for the home theater area, and making room would add some serous WAF issues, ( that I would rather avoid). This family room system is my secondary system, I thought it would inherit units from my primary living room system, but that has not really worked out...

#672 ·
Anyone know what the output voltage is for the Subwoofer pre-out? I checked the manual and the general specifications and couldn't find it. Should be between 1-2 Volts.

#673 ·
I'm looking to downgrade from an Onkyo NR1007 to a lower-end used AVR. At the same time, I'd like to ensure I can use the lower-end AVR as a pre-pro in the future.

Since the SR5005 doesn't have pre-outs for the HEIGHT channels, are its amps assignable if the main channels are offloaded to an external amp?

For example, would I be able to power the front three (LEFT MAIN / CENTER / RIGHT MAIN) with something like an Emotiva XPA-3 and then power SIDE SURROUNDS, BACK SURROUNDS, and HEIGHTS from the SR5005 (6 channels total powered by the AVR)?

Thanks in advance!

#674 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins  /t/1261847/marantz-sr5005-marantz-sr6005-hdmi-v1-4-abt-av-receiver-owners-thread/660#post_22896204

Since the SR5005 doesn't have pre-outs for the HEIGHT channels, are its amps assignable if the main channels are offloaded to an external amp?

For example, would I be able to power the front three (LEFT MAIN / CENTER / RIGHT MAIN) with something like an Emotiva XPA-3 and then power SIDE SURROUNDS, BACK SURROUNDS, and HEIGHTS from the SR5005 (6 channels total powered by the AVR)?

Anyone? Thanks!

#675 ·
Sorry for the delay. As much as I try to keep up with all the D&M models, sometimes the older models go by the wayside so thanks for bumping the post.

The answer to your question is the configuration you are suggesting is not possible using the 5005. As noted in the image below, although the 5005 actually does have pre-outs for the FHL/FHR speakers, as it is only a 7.1 AVR, it can only pass a maximum of 7 channels of audio at a time (ie. you have the choice of using either the surround rear speakers OR the front height speakers but not both at the same time). For the configuration you suggest you would need to upgrade to a 9.1 AVR (eg. Denon 4311CI, 4520CI, AV8801).

#676 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1261847/marantz-sr5005-marantz-sr6005-hdmi-v1-4-abt-av-receiver-owners-thread/660#post_22915369

Sorry for the delay. As much as I try to keep up with all the D&M models, sometimes the older models go by the wayside so thanks for bumping the post.

The answer to your question is the configuration you are suggesting is not possible using the 5005. As noted in the image below, although the 5005 actually does have pre-outs for the FHL/FHR speakers, as it is only a 7.1 AVR, it can only pass a maximum of 7 channels of audio at a time (ie. you have the choice of using either the surround rear speakers OR the front height speakers but not both at the same time). For the configuration you suggest you would need to upgrade to a 9.1 AVR (eg. Denon 4311CI, 4520CI, AV8801).

So the 7 channel restriction is related to the processing, not just the number of amplifier channels onboard? So even with 2 or 3 channels of outboard amplification, the SR5005 can only drive 7 channels at a time? Thanks for the clarification!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.