Marantz SR5005 / Marantz SR6005 HDMI V1.4 ABT AV Receiver Owners' Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 827 Old 01-27-2015, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for everyone's input on this thread. It's been a big help for the last couple of years owning my SR5005.

Generally very happy with it, but as of late, it seems to be acting a bit weird. It's almost as if Audyssey is either self-regulating, intervening, or simply forgetting settings. Should it need to be rerun on a regular basis?

e.g., the center channel volume sometimes is so low as to be almost silent. Dialog is so low, you have to turn on closed captioning. I thought maybe the cat had knocked the speaker wires out of joint, but they were fine. Sounds was coming out, so it was in straight 2-channel stereo mode.

I've rerun the Audyssey setup a few times, with inconsistent results. Now the center channel is bumped up +10 dB, so it's dominating in volume, but the quality is shoddy at best. Boxy, muffled...as someone else mentioned, like Loudness is turned up way too high.

I can related to what Patrick relayed in post #794 , so I played with the custom / manual EQ. Seems better, but the levels are still funky by speaker. Can I re-run Audyssey without it goofing up the EQ? Couldn't find an easy spot on the on-screen menus to adjust each channel's level manually.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks kindly in advance.

-- Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 827 Old 01-27-2015, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5300 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
^^
You shouldn't have to run Audyssey again. Try setting Dynamic Volume to OFF if using it. Could also be the center channel amp is going out. Try doing a soft reset by unplugging the power cable for 10 minutes.

--------
2015 Denon AVR thread ----> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html

Think your AVR is defective? Check the Owner's manual and do a factory reset 4-5 times if necessary.
post #813 of 827 Old 03-09-2015, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Source Displayed on StartUp

Hello,
Is there a setting to force the SR5005 to switch to a specific Source upon startup? For some reason, mine is stuck (always turns on to) BD. I'd like it to default to SAT.

Thank you,
Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #814 of 827 Old 03-09-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
Hello,
Is there a setting to force the SR5005 to switch to a specific Source upon startup? For some reason, mine is stuck (always turns on to) BD. I'd like it to default to SAT.

Thank you,
Scott
It should remember the last source used when the unit was powered off, however, you should also be able to select the SAT button on the remote to power on the AVR and select that source.

--------
2015 Denon AVR thread ----> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html

Think your AVR is defective? Check the Owner's manual and do a factory reset 4-5 times if necessary.
post #815 of 827 Old 03-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

So the answer is "no," right? There is no menu setting to set a default source upon startup? There was something like that on the cable box I had at one time.

It must have something to do with my connection to my Panasonic TV via HDMI. The AVR keeps defaulting to BD; we watched a BluRay about 3 months ago, but have watched TV in the interim. Weird.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #816 of 827 Old 03-09-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^
Correct. Although if you have HDMI Control enabled, you could try setting it to OFF. Or another option, if HDMI Control is enabled, set the Standby Source to SAT.

--------

post #817 of 827 Old 03-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #818 of 827 Old 03-11-2015, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

There is no SAT under Standby when HDMI Control is On, just Off, Last, HDMI, 1, 2, and I think 3. So I tried Last to no avail, still defaults to BD.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #819 of 827 Old 03-11-2015, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
There is no SAT under Standby when HDMI Control is On, just Off, Last, HDMI, 1, 2, and I think 3. So I tried Last to no avail, still defaults to BD.
Select whichever HDMI input is used for the SAT/CBL source. Try unplugging the AVR power cord for 10 minutes (ie. soft reset).

--------

post #820 of 827 Old 04-08-2015, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hey, can anyone comment on the headphone amp found in the SR 6005? I bought some nice headphones which are pretty hard to drive, 120 ohms but according to many people actually seem harder to drive than other higher impedence headphones. I'm wondering if this receiver will be good enough to drive these headphones.
post #821 of 827 Old 04-08-2015, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
hey, can anyone comment on the headphone amp found in the SR 6005? I bought some nice headphones which are pretty hard to drive, 120 ohms but according to many people actually seem harder to drive than other higher impedence headphones. I'm wondering if this receiver will be good enough to drive these headphones.
Give it a go. You can always buy an external headphone amp if you feel it is required.

--------

post #822 of 827 Old 04-08-2015, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Give it a go. You can always buy an external headphone amp if you feel it is required.
yea, will do. I'm just hoping to avoid the whole buying another amp for headphones, given how expensive a unit this is. Its a little frustrating that not only is there nothing to be found in the manual or marantz online, even when I contacted Marantz themselves they told me they don't know anything regarding the headphone amp. Seems a little sloppy on their part, how could an entire facet of the receiver like this be completely not documented anywhere?
post #823 of 827 Old 04-10-2015, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Here's one I haven't seen addressed yet:

We have the Dish Hopper HD DVR Receiver connected to our 5005. I believe most inputs are defaulting to Auto for the surround mode.

Unfortunately, half or more of the time, it doesn't go to the correct setting. Sometimes it's in 2ch Stereo, so my center channel gets nothing.

I've had to manually change the surround mode to Dolby Digital, or PLII Movie to get the right setting.

I'm guessing part of that is the source info from the Hopper, as some feeds may default to stereo, or a non-surround mode. It doesn't seem consistent, making it even more frustrating.

Is there a way to force / default it to a 5.1 mode? Either DD or PLII Movie?

Thanks much in advance!

-- Doug
post #824 of 827 Old 04-10-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^
AFAIK, there are only 3 types of audio that the Dish box can produce .... PCM 2.0, DD 2.0, and DD 5.1. Once you select DD PLII - Movie for each of the non DD 5.1 sources, the AVR should remember this setting and always simulate 5.1 from the 2.0 source.

--------

post #825 of 827 Old 04-12-2015, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dje31 View Post
Here's one I haven't seen addressed yet:

We have the Dish Hopper HD DVR Receiver connected to our 5005. I believe most inputs are defaulting to Auto for the surround mode.

Unfortunately, half or more of the time, it doesn't go to the correct setting. Sometimes it's in 2ch Stereo, so my center channel gets nothing.

I've had to manually change the surround mode to Dolby Digital, or PLII Movie to get the right setting.

I'm guessing part of that is the source info from the Hopper, as some feeds may default to stereo, or a non-surround mode. It doesn't seem consistent, making it even more frustrating.

Is there a way to force / default it to a 5.1 mode? Either DD or PLII Movie?

Thanks much in advance!

-- Doug
If my 5005 was left in PLII Movie the last time I used it, PLII Movie will be the sound setting when its turned back on. Also, I'm out of town right now so I can't check but I very vaguely remember a settings in the Manual portion of the Menu that lets you select a sound field for each source. Don't quote me on this, its been a long time though.....

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #826 of 827 Old 06-30-2015, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looking at picking up a used SR5005. Anything I should be aware of? Are there any newer offerings out there that sound about the same that would be a better buy at this point? Looking to stay under $400. Care more about sound than the latest apps etc. Only using 3.1 right now. Klipsch RF5 L&R and an RC7 center and a 10" Onix Rocket sub. Fairly small living room, seating position is only about 10-12 feet away from the TV. I use it mostly for TV/movies, but do like to connect the iPhone5 to listen to music. I also have a fairly old turn table, but it doesn't get as much use. I know I like the Marantz sound compared to the older (2008ish) Yamaha AVR's with these Klipsch speakers. I have heard that some of the newer Yamaha's are a bit less harsh though. What about comparable Denon offerings? Also saw a CA Azur 351r which is quite a bit less powerful, but I don't really need 100+ watts in this room.
post #827 of 827 Old 06-30-2015, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01svtL View Post
Looking at picking up a used SR5005. Anything I should be aware of? Are there any newer offerings out there that sound about the same that would be a better buy at this point? Looking to stay under $400. Care more about sound than the latest apps etc. Only using 3.1 right now. Klipsch RF5 L&R and an RC7 center and a 10" Onix Rocket sub. Fairly small living room, seating position is only about 10-12 feet away from the TV. I use it mostly for TV/movies, but do like to connect the iPhone5 to listen to music. I also have a fairly old turn table, but it doesn't get as much use. I know I like the Marantz sound compared to the older (2008ish) Yamaha AVR's with these Klipsch speakers. I have heard that some of the newer Yamaha's are a bit less harsh though. What about comparable Denon offerings? Also saw a CA Azur 351r which is quite a bit less powerful, but I don't really need 100+ watts in this room.
I LOVE my 5005. I bought it when that model first came out and as the Marantz line got more complicated and Internet-connected, I've often thought of upgrading but I'm glad I didn't. The sound is warm, yet detailed. I can connect my iPOD to the front USB connection and all sounds great. The iPOD does sometimes drop connection but not so often to piss me off. I do not have a turntable and honestly can't tell you if the 5005 has a connection for that. The only other thing is that menu system is sometimes a bit unintuitive but you just have to fight your way thru that. All details, manual, etc are here:
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=SR5005

As far as other options, you're on your own on that, like all of us cuz its all subjective.

Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5005 Audio Video Receiver Black , Marantz Sr6005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Sr5005 by PriceGrabber.com