Marantz SR5005 / Marantz SR6005 HDMI V1.4 ABT AV Receiver Owners' Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 793 Old 10-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

The 7005 looks packed...28 lb weight doesnt excite me much, and I wish you could pre-out to 9/11 channels, but, overall, this looks very tough to beat at $1699. Hopefully it will allow for digital inputs in Zones 2 and 3...CHECKED and it WILL play 2 channel digital PCM sources in Zones 2 and 3...just like CI Denons.

What are the GUIs like on these things, anyone?

This may shoot a challenge to the Denon 4311, although that's a 9 channel unit rumoured to have the new Aud XT 32.

James

Can someone explain to me the Marantz "sound"?

I am coming from a Harman Kardon and love the rich, warm sound of the HKs...

I have been told by quite a few people that the Denons do not have that same "warm" sound but are rather "thin" sounding...

I am looking into Marantz and wondering the same...

Panasonic 65VT25 (09/17/10)
Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD blu-ray player
Infinity Interludes IL60, IL50, IL36C, IL10

"I see stoopid people..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 793 Old 10-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Hi everyone,

am contemplating picking up the Marantz SR5005 but I am confused by the user's manual. Page 74 shows that basically Direct (2channel) and Pure Direct (2channel) need to have the LFE+Main selected in order to use the subwoofer in 2.1 mode for stereo listening. Is this the case?

I would like to listen to SACDs with my subwoofer and front speakers in as pure a form as possible so I would want to turn off all processing except bass management and use a good crossover between my Revels and my subwoofer. I can do this now on my Pioneer (in Source Direct mode) but the quality difference between analog pure direct and analog/HDMI source direct is night and day in terms of quality. The pure direct analog feed sounds much better.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
post #63 of 793 Old 10-19-2010, 01:23 PM

Anybody with an SR6005 who would like to review their unit?

I'm contemplating getting one.
post #64 of 793 Old 10-23-2010, 06:48 PM

Is anyone using the SR5005 with a Harmony 900 remote? The codes don't seem to be in the database yet.
post #65 of 793 Old 10-28-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Just got the SR5005 to use as a prepro.

This thing sounds very good with HT material. It is a noticeable improvement over the 3-year-old Denon receiver I had been using in the same capacity. I have the pre-outs connected to an Adcom GFA-7605. The sound is natural, open, and very detailed.

I have a separate fancy McCormick preamp for music, so I can't report how good it is in this role.

However, as a pre-pro I highly recommend it--a great buy for $799.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #66 of 793 Old 10-28-2010, 12:04 PM

Hi Tom - which Denon were you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

Just got the SR5005 to use as a prepro.

This thing sounds very good with HT material. It is a noticeable improvement over the 3-year-old Denon receiver I had been using in the same capacity. I have the pre-outs connected to an Adcom GFA-7605. The sound is natural, open, and very detailed.

I have a separate fancy McCormick preamp for music, so I can't report how good it is in this role.

However, as a pre-pro I highly recommend it--a great buy for $799.

post #67 of 793 Old 10-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl209 View Post

Is anyone using the SR5005 with a Harmony 900 remote? The codes don't seem to be in the database yet.

I was. Just get codes from another Marantz like SR5004.
post #68 of 793 Old 10-28-2010, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_w View Post

hi tom - which denon were you using?

avr-2807

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #69 of 793 Old 10-30-2010, 06:04 PM

I just got the 5005 a couple of days ago.Have been trying to run my universal player thru hdmi(pioneer dv48)I can only get stereo unless using one of the soundfields.I feel I'm being shortchanged wit super audio with this unit.
hopefully omeone hasd an answer.
they told me to run it on auto but still no multichannel.I've spoken with Marantz and pioneer and they both blame the other.I have all my setting correct on the player .
post #70 of 793 Old 10-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunerguy View Post

I just got the 5005 a couple of days ago.Have been trying to run my universal player thru hdmi(pioneer dv48)I can only get stereo unless using one of the soundfields.I feel I'm being shortchanged wit super audio with this unit.
hopefully omeone hasd an answer.
they told me to run it on auto but still no multichannel.I've spoken with Marantz and pioneer and they both blame the other.I have all my setting correct on the player .

Make sure your player's display is set to 1080p If you wonder why read up on HDMI.
post #71 of 793 Old 10-31-2010, 03:13 PM

I changed the display ratio on the 5005 to 1080p.Still the same thing(stereo).Do I need to change it on the universal also? My player isn't BD but it does upscale.
post #72 of 793 Old 10-31-2010, 04:32 PM

Changed my setting on the player to 1080p and bingo.I have multi channel SA-CD thru HDMI without having to put it in a soundfield. Thanks for all the help unclemat.Was ready to toss in the towel.Even came up multichannel in on the reciever.Still have the pop of death when I turn it on.
post #73 of 793 Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 PM

Apologies if I'm taking the post in a different direction, but perhaps someone can clarify something for me on the SR5005.

The specs state the following power amplifier rated output for the front speakers:
100 W + 100 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)
180 W + 180 W (6 Ω, 1 kHz with 10 % T.H.D.)

Am I to understand that 6 ohm speakers will result in 180 watt output and 10% distortion??? (I don't understand how the 1 kHz comes into play...) That seems pretty awful. I suppose the solution would be to buy 8 ohm speakers, but I was looking at the Monitor Audio RX6, and now I am terribly afraid to buy them considering they are rated for 40 - 125 watt power handling, and I can potentially be getting 10% THD.

...Can anyone comment, or perhaps suggest an alternative to look at?
post #74 of 793 Old 11-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirche5 View Post

Apologies if I'm taking the post in a different direction, but perhaps someone can clarify something for me on the SR5005.

The specs state the following power amplifier rated output for the front speakers:
100 W + 100 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)
180 W + 180 W (6 Ω, 1 kHz with 10 % T.H.D.)

Am I to understand that 6 ohm speakers will result in 180 watt output and 10% distortion??? (I don't understand how the 1 kHz comes into play...) That seems pretty awful. I suppose the solution would be to buy 8 ohm speakers, but I was looking at the Monitor Audio RX6, and now I am terribly afraid to buy them considering they are rated for 40 - 125 watt power handling, and I can potentially be getting 10% THD.

...Can anyone comment, or perhaps suggest an alternative to look at?

those are giving you two points on a curve-- 1% THD and 10% THD. Those are generally measurements to give you "upper end numbers."

This being an Audio/Video Receiver, it has a volume control.. these specs simply indicate a measure of "how loud can it go" and "what kind of quality can I expect at that volume?"

10% THD is the accepted max amount of 'noise' by some (esp. the subwoofer industry). 1% is much better. 0.08% is much better still. So the above specs indicate pushing 100W per channel, there is no more than 0.08% THD (total harmonic distortion--- "noise") generated by the receiver itself across the entire standard audio spectrum (20Hz to 20,000Hz). That's pretty respectable for a receiver. lowering to a 6ohm load increases the power output but also increases the "noise" generated. But again, these are max numbers.

A much better question to ask is "what kind of listening do you plan on doing and in what kind of environment? Stereo (CDs, etc), multi-channel audio (DVD-A, SACD, etc), or home-theater (DVD, Bluray), etc? And lastly-- how loud do you plan to typically play it? (loud enough to fill the room [in which case, what is your room size WxDxH?], loud enough to annoy the neighbors, background music during social events, etc)"

Knowing how you plan to use the equipment goes a long way to ask if it is a good pick.

cheers,
..dane
post #75 of 793 Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the response, Dane--helpful. To answer your questions... I'll be using it for a home theater set up (connected to an HTPC). I care more about how my music (pretty wide variety, including bit of jazz and ambiance music, decent amount of bluegrass, electronica, hiphop/R&B, rock, etc...) sounds than how my DVDs/Bluray sounds, since I don't really have the space for surround speakers and won't in the foreseeable future. My apt is about 14 deep (from couch to TV) and 25 wide, and I plan to listen to it mostly just to fill the room or lower, but occasionally to bug the neighbors (apt. neighbors, that is).

So I guess, given what I'm looking for, should I be concerned about 6 ohms upping the distortion? --Perhaps better to look for a decent set of 8 ohm speakers anyway?

ADDITION: One more thing to note, which is of concern: will using 6 ohm speakers only rated for 125 watt max (ie, the MA RX6s) damage my speakers over the long run, since they'll be running with 180 watts??
post #76 of 793 Old 11-08-2010, 10:04 AM

Liked: 11
Hi Guys

I have the same questions as Pologuy and Kirche5.

I have a HK AVR 8500 (THX Ultra 2, 105 x 5) which was the top of the HK line when I bought it. (sold as 8000 in the US, I think). The receiver stopped functioning the other day. Anyway I had been thinking of upgrading. While my first preference would have been HK, only the 460 has HDMI 1.4 and the the 660 / 760 might get it later this year.

I have the Dynaudio Audience 82 as the fronts and a Dynaudio Center / Surrounds. These are 4 ohm speakers. Will the 7005 be able to drive these? The HK could easily drive them. Also will the HK 460 be able to drive them? It is 60 x 7 and also costs more than the 7005 here.

Thanks

ppr
post #77 of 793 Old 11-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirche5 View Post
Thanks for the response, Dane--helpful. To answer your questions... I'll be using it for a home theater set up (connected to an HTPC). I care more about how my music (pretty wide variety, including bit of jazz and ambiance music, decent amount of bluegrass, electronica, hiphop/R&B, rock, etc...) sounds than how my DVDs/Bluray sounds, since I don't really have the space for surround speakers and won't in the foreseeable future. My apt is about 14 deep (from couch to TV) and 25 wide, and I plan to listen to it mostly just to fill the room or lower, but occasionally to bug the neighbors (apt. neighbors, that is).

So I guess, given what I'm looking for, should I be concerned about 6 ohms upping the distortion? --Perhaps better to look for a decent set of 8 ohm speakers anyway?

ADDITION: One more thing to note, which is of concern: will using 6 ohm speakers only rated for 125 watt max (ie, the MA RX6s) damage my speakers over the long run, since they'll be running with 180 watts??
IMHO, you'd be well served with a Marantz 7xxx series AVR for a setup like that. I would not worry about your 6ohm load at all. Remember-- they won't be running with 180 watts. ACTUAL wattage during normal listening volumes is well under 10 watts most of the time. It's only the musical peaks that drive it higher.

Another point to always remember is that it is only 0.003% of the time that "excessive power" busts a speaker. 99.997% of the time a speaker is damaged due to too much distortion. In other words, a MORE power amplifier will treat your speakers much better than a LOW power amplifier. Why? Because in a low power amplifier, you turn the volume up and you're increasing the THD (to the 10% range and beyond!). With a high power quality amplifier (like the Marantz AVR you're looking at) you turn the volume up and the THD stays low. It isn't until you get to a HIGH volume that the THD starts to increase.

You'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprao View Post
Hi Guys

I have the same questions as Pologuy and Kirche5.

I have a HK AVR 8500 (THX Ultra 2, 105 x 5) which was the top of the HK line when I bought it. (sold as 8000 in the US, I think). The receiver stopped functioning the other day. Anyway I had been thinking of upgrading. While my first preference would have been HK, only the 460 has HDMI 1.4 and the the 660 / 760 might get it later this year.

I have the Dynaudio Audience 82 as the fronts and a Dynaudio Center / Surrounds. These are 4 ohm speakers. Will the 7005 be able to drive these? The HK could easily drive them. Also will the HK 460 be able to drive them? It is 60 x 7 and also costs more than the 7005 here.

Thanks

ppr
One reviewer on audioreview.com indicated "contrary to what many have said, these speakers present a very easy load to an amplifier" -- if that's true, then the Marantz will be a no-brainer. It's a terrific amp. I have a SR7001. A few years older than the current 7005 being discussed, but an absolutely terrific performer nevertheless. Before that was a Marantz SR780, and before that was a Marantz Model 7 (tube pre) with a DynaKit ST-70 (tube amp). Marantz has been "high quality" for a few years now. There was a short stint in the 70's and 80's where IMO quality dropped off like a rock, but the last decade or more they have really come back strong.

cheers,
..dane
post #78 of 793 Old 11-08-2010, 06:35 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks Dane

Anyway I will be using an external power amp for the front 2 speakers. I have an old Phase Linear 200 x 2. I will bi amp the center from one of the surround back channels. I got worried because somewhere else, it said that the Denon 3311 does 6 - 16 ohms, and I thought the 7005 is a similar amp. The 4311 apparently has a switch for 4 ohm speakers!

ppr
post #79 of 793 Old 11-09-2010, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How does the HDMI switching work on the 5005 with the HDMI cable being 35' long?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #80 of 793 Old 11-09-2010, 06:25 AM

i have issues right now with my 35' cable as hdmi display out. i don't know if it's the JVC HD250 projector or the Marantz SR5005. i haven't been able to test a shorter cable yet.

every once in a while when i turn off a device in the chain and turn it back on, the jvc never recognizes the input again until i mess with everything in the display chain.
post #81 of 793 Old 11-09-2010, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hmmm - that is the PJ I plan on getting early next year. Hope the answer is an easy one.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #82 of 793 Old 11-11-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tribeman View Post

Hello all,

Hello all,

Since Outlaw Audio is offering the SR 5005, we have written and published The Outlaws' Guide To The Marantz SR5005

This illustrated 60 page document should answer a number of questions not addressed in the original Marantz owner's manual. The Guide is FREE for downloading and viewing online. If you have any comments or questions about the information please let us know. For those interested just go to the Outlaw Audio home page and click on the link to the SR 5005.

Peter Tribeman
Outlaw Audio

The link is broken on your site
post #83 of 793 Old 11-15-2010, 07:13 AM

Has anyone bought the 6005 yet? Weird I can't find anyone whose purchased it and can review it for us..I've been back and forth whether to get a denon 3311,which seems to have a number of problems..or get a marantz 6005,or stretch the budget and get a 7005. Some good advise would be much appreciated..
post #84 of 793 Old 11-15-2010, 05:09 PM

bump...anyone who has bought and used the 6005 please give a review...
post #85 of 793 Old 11-17-2010, 06:56 AM

bump
post #86 of 793 Old 11-17-2010, 06:56 PM

I'll be purchasing the 6005 this weekend and will post my thoughts after a thorough testing.

Just finished trying out a 5005, comparing it (in home) to the Yamaha 667 and Denon 3310. I found the sound of the 5005 considerably more pleasing (at least to my ears) than the others. The sound was fuller, louder, and vocals/dialogue much more clear. Two downsides to the 5005: (1) the user interface was a bit antiquated, and (2) television images seemed to contain a slight purple tinge, which I figured related to the lesser ABT chipset used. The specs on the 6005 would appear to overcome these factors.
post #87 of 793 Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitsticks View Post

I'll be purchasing the 6005 this weekend and will post my thoughts after a thorough testing.

Just finished trying out a 5005, comparing it (in home) to the Yamaha 667 and Denon 3310. I found the sound of the 5005 considerably more pleasing (at least to my ears) than the others. The sound was fuller, louder, and vocals/dialogue much more clear. Two downsides to the 5005: (1) the user interface was a bit antiquated, and (2) television images seemed to contain a slight purple tinge, which I figured related to the lesser ABT chipset used. The specs on the 6005 would appear to overcome these factors.

Once callibrated, you really should not hear a difference, especially with a denon 3310. the 5005 is a more connectivity-laden 1911 and the 6005 is akin to the 2311.
post #88 of 793 Old 11-18-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Once callibrated, you really should not hear a difference, especially with a denon 3310. the 5005 is a more connectivity-laden 1911 and the 6005 is akin to the 2311.

That was my expectation--it was just a matter of calibration. But after four hours of tinkering with all the settings, and much to my surprise and displeasure, the sound of the 3310 just couldn't get anywhere near the 5005. Better connectivity, in my view, can never overcome inferior sound (as subjectively determined). We'll see how the 6005 works. I'll likely compare it to an Onkyo 808.
post #89 of 793 Old 11-18-2010, 11:42 PM

i just did a listen to the 6005 and the 3311 and there's a definative difference in sound...denon had "finer" treble in details, the 6005 had an almost tubelike clarity and warmth..
post #90 of 793 Old 11-19-2010, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajenn View Post
i just did a listen to the 6005 and the 3311 and there's a definative difference in sound...denon had "finer" treble in details, the 6005 had an almost tubelike clarity and warmth..
Please elaborate about the testing - we're they both callibrated with room correction software or levels adjusted with an spl meter

If you're comparing them at best buy through two stereo speakers, it's not a very accurate way to compare them
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5005 Audio Video Receiver Black , Marantz Sr6005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Sr5005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page