AVS Forum banner

Marantz SR5005 / Marantz SR6005 HDMI V1.4 ABT AV Receiver Owners' Thread

226K views 885 replies 240 participants last post by  Dbman05 
#1 ·

Marantz appears to have some very competitive mid-range receivers out soon. They have certainly pushed featureset (abt chips with digital video scaling, 6 hdmi for the 6005).

Traded emails this morning with Marantz Sales Rep who confirmed it will be shipping this month.

Now debating whether the 6005 is worth the extra $200.

Link to Outlaw 5005 manual: http://www.outlawaudio.com/marantzguidesr5005.html

See less See more
#77 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirche5
Thanks for the response, Dane--helpful. To answer your questions... I'll be using it for a home theater set up (connected to an HTPC). I care more about how my music (pretty wide variety, including bit of jazz and ambiance music, decent amount of bluegrass, electronica, hiphop/R&B, rock, etc...) sounds than how my DVDs/Bluray sounds, since I don't really have the space for surround speakers and won't in the foreseeable future. My apt is about 14 deep (from couch to TV) and 25 wide, and I plan to listen to it mostly just to fill the room or lower, but occasionally to bug the neighbors (apt. neighbors, that is).

So I guess, given what I'm looking for, should I be concerned about 6 ohms upping the distortion? --Perhaps better to look for a decent set of 8 ohm speakers anyway?

ADDITION: One more thing to note, which is of concern: will using 6 ohm speakers only rated for 125 watt max (ie, the MA RX6s) damage my speakers over the long run, since they'll be running with 180 watts??
IMHO, you'd be well served with a Marantz 7xxx series AVR for a setup like that. I would not worry about your 6ohm load at all. Remember-- they won't be running with 180 watts. ACTUAL wattage during normal listening volumes is well under 10 watts most of the time. It's only the musical peaks that drive it higher.

Another point to always remember is that it is only 0.003% of the time that "excessive power" busts a speaker. 99.997% of the time a speaker is damaged due to too much distortion. In other words, a MORE power amplifier will treat your speakers much better than a LOW power amplifier. Why? Because in a low power amplifier, you turn the volume up and you're increasing the THD (to the 10% range and beyond!). With a high power quality amplifier (like the Marantz AVR you're looking at) you turn the volume up and the THD stays low. It isn't until you get to a HIGH volume that the THD starts to increase.

You'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprao
Hi Guys

I have the same questions as Pologuy and Kirche5.

I have a HK AVR 8500 (THX Ultra 2, 105 x 5) which was the top of the HK line when I bought it. (sold as 8000 in the US, I think). The receiver stopped functioning the other day. Anyway I had been thinking of upgrading. While my first preference would have been HK, only the 460 has HDMI 1.4 and the the 660 / 760 might get it later this year.

I have the Dynaudio Audience 82 as the fronts and a Dynaudio Center / Surrounds. These are 4 ohm speakers. Will the 7005 be able to drive these? The HK could easily drive them. Also will the HK 460 be able to drive them? It is 60 x 7 and also costs more than the 7005 here.

Thanks

ppr
One reviewer on audioreview.com indicated "contrary to what many have said, these speakers present a very easy load to an amplifier" -- if that's true, then the Marantz will be a no-brainer. It's a terrific amp. I have a SR7001. A few years older than the current 7005 being discussed, but an absolutely terrific performer nevertheless. Before that was a Marantz SR780, and before that was a Marantz Model 7 (tube pre) with a DynaKit ST-70 (tube amp). Marantz has been "high quality" for a few years now.
There was a short stint in the 70's and 80's where IMO quality dropped off like a rock, but the last decade or more they have really come back strong.

cheers,

..dane

#78 ·
Thanks Dane

Anyway I will be using an external power amp for the front 2 speakers. I have an old Phase Linear 200 x 2. I will bi amp the center from one of the surround back channels. I got worried because somewhere else, it said that the Denon 3311 does 6 - 16 ohms, and I thought the 7005 is a similar amp. The 4311 apparently has a switch for 4 ohm speakers!

ppr

#80 ·
i have issues right now with my 35' cable as hdmi display out. i don't know if it's the JVC HD250 projector or the Marantz SR5005. i haven't been able to test a shorter cable yet.

every once in a while when i turn off a device in the chain and turn it back on, the jvc never recognizes the input again until i mess with everything in the display chain.

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tribeman /forum/post/19165196

Hello all,

Hello all,

Since Outlaw Audio is offering the SR 5005, we have written and published The Outlaws' Guide To The Marantz SR5005

This illustrated 60 page document should answer a number of questions not addressed in the original Marantz owner's manual. The Guide is FREE for downloading and viewing online. If you have any comments or questions about the information please let us know. For those interested just go to the Outlaw Audio home page and click on the link to the SR 5005.

Peter Tribeman

Outlaw Audio

The link is broken on your site

#83 ·
Has anyone bought the 6005 yet? Weird I can't find anyone whose purchased it and can review it for us..I've been back and forth whether to get a denon 3311,which seems to have a number of problems..or get a marantz 6005,or stretch the budget and get a 7005. Some good advise would be much appreciated..

#86 ·
I'll be purchasing the 6005 this weekend and will post my thoughts after a thorough testing.

Just finished trying out a 5005, comparing it (in home) to the Yamaha 667 and Denon 3310. I found the sound of the 5005 considerably more pleasing (at least to my ears) than the others. The sound was fuller, louder, and vocals/dialogue much more clear. Two downsides to the 5005: (1) the user interface was a bit antiquated, and (2) television images seemed to contain a slight purple tinge, which I figured related to the lesser ABT chipset used. The specs on the 6005 would appear to overcome these factors.

#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitsticks /forum/post/19505839

I'll be purchasing the 6005 this weekend and will post my thoughts after a thorough testing.

Just finished trying out a 5005, comparing it (in home) to the Yamaha 667 and Denon 3310. I found the sound of the 5005 considerably more pleasing (at least to my ears) than the others. The sound was fuller, louder, and vocals/dialogue much more clear. Two downsides to the 5005: (1) the user interface was a bit antiquated, and (2) television images seemed to contain a slight purple tinge, which I figured related to the lesser ABT chipset used. The specs on the 6005 would appear to overcome these factors.

Once callibrated, you really should not hear a difference, especially with a denon 3310. the 5005 is a more connectivity-laden 1911 and the 6005 is akin to the 2311.

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/19506019

Once callibrated, you really should not hear a difference, especially with a denon 3310. the 5005 is a more connectivity-laden 1911 and the 6005 is akin to the 2311.

That was my expectation--it was just a matter of calibration. But after four hours of tinkering with all the settings, and much to my surprise and displeasure, the sound of the 3310 just couldn't get anywhere near the 5005. Better connectivity, in my view, can never overcome inferior sound (as subjectively determined). We'll see how the 6005 works. I'll likely compare it to an Onkyo 808.

#90 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajenn
i just did a listen to the 6005 and the 3311 and there's a definative difference in sound...denon had "finer" treble in details, the 6005 had an almost tubelike clarity and warmth..
Please elaborate about the testing - we're they both callibrated with room correction software or levels adjusted with an spl meter

If you're comparing them at best buy through two stereo speakers, it's not a very accurate way to compare them

#91 ·
winston i have no idea where your coming from,not meant as an insult in anyway,im just mystified..my experiance in listening, over 40 years worth,have shown me that each component and wiring have a sonic signature..to say that a marantz and denon or pioneer will sound the same if room correction software is used and an spl meter.It would put things on a more even footing,but there are still differences in sound..and it was a private listening room well setup and calibrated..and this was my "opinion" only, someone else in the same room might have "heard" it differently.

#92 ·
Just to clarify regarding my testing of the 5005 vs the Denon 3310, they were conducted in my home, after running Audyssey and tweaking the settings as I deemed appropriate to get what I believed to be the best sound. Accordingly, I'm not surprised that someone has found there to be a material difference in sound between the 6005 and Denon 3311. I thought there might have been something wrong with the 3310, but I no longer feel that's the case. I just prefer, by a wide margin, the sound provided through the Marantz. And I've never had, or listened to, a system powered by a Marantz (prior receivers have all been Denon and Yamaha). Perhaps I'm now a convert, but I'll also try an Onkyo.

#93 ·
You have to realize that Winston has been trying to give Marantz a bad name for quite a while. Go to Amazon and search for Marantz SR 5004 and read WDH review.

He is telling us that all amps calibrated with Audessy sound the same and that listening with 2 speakers is not a good way to listen. I guess he never heard of stereo. He started this thread with one thing in mind.

His rants about owning 5 or 6 Marantz SR 5004 and all of them going bad within a week or a month were all over the internet last year.

Disgusting to me.

#96 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajenn /forum/post/19513913

winston i have no idea where your coming from,not meant as an insult in anyway,im just mystified..my experiance in listening, over 40 years worth,have shown me that each component and wiring have a sonic signature..to say that a marantz and denon or pioneer will sound the same if room correction software is used and an spl meter.It would put things on a more even footing,but there are still differences in sound..and it was a private listening room well setup and calibrated..and this was my "opinion" only, someone else in the same room might have "heard" it differently.

Don't get me wrong - there are differences amongst DACs, implementation, power supplies, and capacitors that could create a different sound stage. That said, I think most folks would be hard to tell sub $1,500 receivers apart once callibrated, especially those from sister companies.

For the record, I have nothing against Marantz, just trying to point out that the 3311 and 6005 should be very, very similar at the end of the day.

#98 ·
I received a Marantz 6005 a few days ago and have been auditioning it since then. I've also auditioned, over the last four weeks, the Yamaha RX-V667, Marantz SR5005, Denon 3310, Pioneer 1120, and Onkyo 808. So how does the 6005 compare to the others? Here are my thoughts:

Sound Quality: No surprises here. Having loved the sound quality of the 5005, the 6005 performed equally as well. As noted in a prior post, I had never listened to anything powered by a Marantz prior to auditioning the 5005, having previously used either Denon or Yamaha receivers. There's just something special about the Marantz sound that sets it apart from the others. It has a full-bodied, life-like sound that gives it a pleasing depth and range. Perhaps this is what others refer to as "warm." Whatever it is, it's absolutely wonderful. I'd rank (subjectively) the Onkyo and Yamaha second and third, respectively, in the sound quality department, with Denon and Pioneer bringing up the rear.

Video Quality: As noted in a prior post, the 5005 seemed to add a slight purple tinge to video images. The 6005's higher quality ABT chip appeared to fix that shortcoming, with no noticeable degradation in video quality (whether it improved the quality, I couldn't discern). By comparison, the Onkyo 808 appeared to give images a slightly greener hue.

GUI: The 6005 also overcame the 5005's GUI shortcomings. While the 5005 had a black & white on screen display that didn't overlay on images, the 6005 has a much easier to use color GUI that overlays. While the 6005's GUI isn't quite on par with Yamaha's (which has the best GUI I've encountered), I really have no complaints.

Remote: The 6005's remote is essentially the same as the 5005's, with a small LCD window at the top that indicates the source being controlled. It won't win any awards, but certain third party remotes are clearly much better than any stock remote provided with a receiver.

Other Features: I encountered no issues when plugging in my iPhone to the USB connection. Worked just fine. And if looks are important, the Marantz's understated, brushed aluminum facade is nothing short of classy.

Overall, I rank the Marantz 6005 as the best receiver I've auditioned. And after enduring a range of comments from my wife regarding why I have been purchasing so many receivers, the 6005 will also be the last receiver I'll audition for at least the next few years. This one's a keeper. Granted, the 6005 doesn't win any awards in the value department and it was the only receiver where I paid full price. But I confidently believe it is worth it.

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitsticks /forum/post/19525607

As noted in a prior post, the 5005 seemed to add a slight purple tinge to video images. The 6005's higher quality ABT chip appeared to fix that shortcoming, with no noticeable degradation in video quality (whether it improved the quality, I couldn't discern).

Is it possible to disengage the ABT chip when processing video signals over HDMI inputs? For example, if a Blu-Ray player is feeding 1080p input to Marantz receiver, why should there be a slight purple tinge? Is it not possible for 5005 to pass the video signal untouched to the TV? Is the purple tinge present on all video inputs?

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdv5 /forum/post/19556311

Is it possible to disengage the ABT chip when processing video signals over HDMI inputs? For example, if a Blu-Ray player is feeding 1080p input to Marantz receiver, why should there be a slight purple tinge? Is it not possible for 5005 to pass the video signal untouched to the TV? Is the purple tinge present on all video inputs?

I didn't notice any ability to disengage the video processing on the 5005 (the 6005 doesn't appear to have the ability either).

#101 ·
Hi, i use at the moment a Intergra DTR 70.2

Its a great receiver but i find the sound to be on the "cool" side compared to

a Marantz SR7500 i had in the past.

I would like to use the 5005 as a pro-amp, to get the warm Marantz sound back.

Would this be a good set, Marantz 5005 and Intergra 70.2 or would an other Intergra/Marantz combo, like the SR7005 and Integra, be a better warm sounding soluttion

(i am not specific looking for a high power amp !)

I do not know if a lower priced 5005 receiver gives the same "Warm Marantz sound" like the far higher priced SR 7005 ? (so your just paying for features, not a better sound)

Thx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.