Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

Weird!

Perhaps one of the devices is emitting some nasty IR interference during 3D playback. Since you have tried two sources, the only other suspect is the TV. Any chance you have an extra 3D TV laying around?

Not sure about this. Do you think that both 3D/Blue-Ray players are emitting the same interference, somehow leaking out through the cable, and ONLY when a 3D disk is being played? Not sure there's anything RF related being transmitted through the cable, or even emitted internally, while any is being played - and I don't see why the television would up and decide to output a signal just because it is receiving 3D data.

---------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1829 Old 01-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I really think I just want it because it looks cooler with the door covering the bottom buttons and connectors.

For sure! That was a factor in my decision also - aside from power.

post #903 of 1829 Old 01-01-2011, 12:36 PM

Good question. Why does the remote work after I went up close to the receiver with as little interruption as possible then stepped back? Why isn't the tv interfering now? I just don't know, but it seems to have fixed my problem.

I can't be the only person with a Panny 58VT25 and an Onkyo 808, yet I could not find anyone mentioning this problem anywhere. This includes tech support at Onkyo.
post #904 of 1829 Old 01-01-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have a Toshiba 46RV530u TV. It emits some sort of IR interference that disrupts my cable box IR signal. I have to wait for the TV to warm up for about 2 minutes before I can control the cable box and that is after I put a piece of blue painters tape over the IR sensor on the box. Without the tape it doesn't work at all.

Not sure why it only affects your system during 3D playback, but I've seen some weird stuff!

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #905 of 1829 Old 01-01-2011, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post

I have tried removing and replacing the cable. That did not help.

I looked into the latest firmware update but it didn't say anything about correcting network issues. However, as I write this it dawns on me that the firmware I have may be several generations old and some previous firmware revision, which I don't have, may address networking problems. I'll give that a shot.

In case anyone else with the same issue comes across this thread, updating the firmware did in fact fix the problem. Network settings option is no longer grayed out. This is on a HT-RC270.
post #906 of 1829 Old 01-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstservt View Post

Interestingly enough, it is now working from a distance as well. What seemed to make the difference was taking the remote a few inches from the receiver while I shielded the remote from the tv with my body. Now the remote works from both close and far away from the receiver.

I doubt it was the glasses as I did not even have them out of the case and turned on a few of the times when the remote was inoperative.

Are you still pressing the "MODE" button first, before selecting the "RECEIVER" button?

post #907 of 1829 Old 01-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Has anyone had any problems getting HDMI video out from the NR808? I've been installing a new one today, really simple config, PS3 and a Satellite receiver as the input via HDMI on both HDMI output to a projector, both the PS# and the Sat Receiver work if plugged directly into the projector but if I try to go through the NR808 I get no signal on the projector input, I can reconfigure and get video out of the Component outputs and I can get Audio from either input devices through the NR, I've run out of ideas HELP
post #908 of 1829 Old 01-01-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post

Are you still pressing the "MODE" button first, before selecting the "RECEIVER" button?

Just switched over to the 3D broadcast of the Fiesta Bowl, and at first the remote did not work. I then pressed "Mode" button and the remote began to work fine. Soooo, I'm pretty embarrassed about all of my speculation. Looks like the "Mode" is a factor. I'm still a little confused as earlier with the 3D test, it did not respond to the "Mode" button at first. Now it works with "Mode" button. Once again, I'm just glad to have things working properly.

Thanks, and sorry about any confusion my ramblings may have caused. I'll leave the speculation to the experts.
post #909 of 1829 Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstservt View Post
Just switched over to the 3D broadcast of the Fiesta Bowl, and at first the remote did not work. I then pressed "Mode" button and the remote began to work fine. Soooo, I'm pretty embarrassed about all of my speculation. Looks like the "Mode" is a factor. I'm still a little confused as earlier with the 3D test, it did not respond to the "Mode" button at first. Now it works with "Mode" button. Once again, I'm just glad to have things working properly.

Thanks, and sorry about any confusion my ramblings may have caused. I'll leave the speculation to the experts.
Good to hear it is working. No confusion or ramblings that I noticed chrstservt.

post #910 of 1829 Old 01-02-2011, 02:55 PM

Just curious, do you guys have a "favorite" listening mode for watching regular TV or do you pan thru each mode to see what sounds best?
I bought my 808 from Crutchfield and they recommended that I leave it on "Dolby D". It seems to sound fine on my 5.1 surround. Just curious what everyone else does?
Thanks
post #911 of 1829 Old 01-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

I'd say they're right if they're referring to Free HD Over The Air (OTA) broadcasts - since most should have DD audio. Watching GB vs. Chicago game right now, hitting "Info" it says that it is in fact DD audio. This is HD-OTA, but this t.v. isn't hooked up to the 808 - but having the 808 process as DD would decode accurately, I believe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Though that reminds me of one thing that disappoints about this receiver - why doesn't it accept OTA Antenna connections for passing through HD OTA broadcasts, and decoding the DD audio? I guess you'd have to run audio out from the t.v. and then into the receiver - more wire management. Just seems absurd. It should accept and process the OTA antenna connection (audio & video) and/or have the capability of passing it through to the television, even while the receiver is in Standby Mode.

I mean, this thing IS an AUDIO/VIDEO Receiver right?

post #912 of 1829 Old 01-02-2011, 04:52 PM

Thanks litew8.
post #913 of 1829 Old 01-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

no problem, processing DD for cable t.v. (cable box) would also make sense.

post #914 of 1829 Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd say they're right if they're referring to Free HD Over The Air (OTA) broadcasts - since most should have DD audio. Watching GB vs. Chicago game right now, hitting "Info" it says that it is in fact DD audio. This is HD-OTA, but this t.v. isn't hooked up to the 808 - but having the 808 process as DD would decode accurately, I believe.

Though that reminds me of one thing that disappoints about this receiver - why doesn't it accept OTA Antenna connections for passing through HD OTA broadcasts, and decoding the DD audio? I guess you'd have to run audio out from the t.v. and then into the receiver - more wire management. Just seems absurd. It should accept and process the OTA antenna connection (audio & video) and/or have the capability of passing it through to the television, even while the receiver is in Standby Mode.

I mean, this thing IS an AUDIO/VIDEO Receiver right?

Receivers are not HD tuners, and never have been. In the case of OTA broadcasts your TV acts like a "cable box", doing all the work. So you need to send the signal from the TV to the receiver. In the case of ARC you don't even need an extra cable. The HDMI out of the receiver carries the audio back to the AVR from the TV.

Mike

post #915 of 1829 Old 01-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Sometimes I get no sound from my speakers and there will be no speaker lights lit. The mode will be THX cinema, Dolby Digital, etc. I will try switching sources and modes, but the speakers don't come back on.
If I manually pull the power plug then the receiver will reset and the speakers and speaker indication will start working again. Does anybody know what causes this and is there a way to start speakers without pulling the plug and resetting.
post #916 of 1829 Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Receivers are not HD tuners, and never have been. In the case of OTA broadcasts your TV acts like a "cable box", doing all the work. So you need to send the signal from the TV to the receiver. In the case of ARC you don't even need an extra cable. The HDMI out of the receiver carries the audio back to the AVR from the TV.

Yeah, I know the difference (HD tuner, non HD tuner). I had already mentioned running audio out from the tv to the AVR. My complaint is why don't they incorporate HD tuners into AVRs? They should incorporate them. It's all audio/video related right? The AVR's job is to decode, so I don't see the problem.

post #917 of 1829 Old 01-02-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I know the difference (HD tuner, non HD tuner). I had already mentioned running audio out from the tv to the AVR. My complaint is why don't they incorporate HD tuners into AVRs? They should incorporate them. It's all audio/video related right? The AVR's job is to decode, so I don't see the problem.

I think the answer is that the TV already does that job. Why do we need the receiver to do it? Aren't there enough problems with today's receivers? Why add another useless (IMO as I cable and not OTA broadcasts) feature to an already overloaded device?

Mike

post #918 of 1829 Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobb88 View Post

Sometimes I get no sound from my speakers and there will be no speaker lights lit. The mode will be THX cinema, Dolby Digital, etc. I will try switching sources and modes, but the speakers don't come back on.
If I manually pull the power plug then the receiver will reset and the speakers and speaker indication will start working again. Does anybody know what causes this and is there a way to start speakers without pulling the plug and resetting.

I had the same issue with my first 808. Returned it and the second one did not exhibit the same issues.
post #919 of 1829 Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Is this your first AVR? Your posts are often misleading and at the least, confusing. Your previous post said,

Quote:

Though that reminds me of one thing that disappoints about this receiver - .....

This might have some people thinking that this receiver doesn't do something that other AVR's do! This is what I mean by misleading or confusing. And I have to agree with in2photos. It doesn't make sense for them to have to include TV tuners into an AVR.
post #920 of 1829 Old 01-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

You both don't seem to grasp the concept of management. Your cable is inferior to ota hd also. It's prob confusing for you because you don't understand.

post #921 of 1829 Old 01-03-2011, 05:24 AM

Has anyone used the Audyssey mike supplied with the 808, together with some PC software, to do SPL tests? AFAIK the mike is specifically tailored (or has a known response) for Audyssey measurements, but does not necessarily have a flat response. Is the response available somewhere to enable correction?
post #922 of 1829 Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You both don't seem to grasp the concept of management.

No I fully grasp the concept. And I completely understand what you want. I just think you are in a small minority of folks that would want this feature. Your reason for wanting it in the receiver was to eliminate a cable, yet we don't need a cable anyway (with ARC).

Quote:

Your cable is inferior to ota hd also. It's prob confusing for you because you don't understand.

It is only inferior in quality since cable (and satellite as well) is compressed versus OTA signals (OK, I'll give you price too since it's free). However, in content, OTA signals don't hold a candle to cable/satellite!

And why would you want to add another link in the chain if your desire is the best possible picture and sound? Now you have to wonder if your AVR is truly passing the signal unchanged.

Mike

post #923 of 1829 Old 01-03-2011, 09:48 AM

I just wanted to add I got my 808 up and going and aside from initial firmware update issues (that were immediately corrected by methods outlined in earlier posts) that everything is going great!!! 3D is going really well, and looks no different, to me, than a straight shot into the TV, and I'm liking the OSD better than my older 806. My 806 had great sound already, and I haven't really had a chance to stretch my 808's legs yet, but I really have no complaints at all. I have to re-run the Audessey because I changed my room around a little bit because of getting rid of the X'mas tree, but balance had been great. I'm not using many of the features (internet radio, PC networking, etc.), but everything I've connected to it is happy as a clam and I'm happier than a pig in sh*t. The heat is no comparison to my 806, but I still installed a fan in the cover, anyways, just for piece of mind .

If I had a gripe, it'd be the bulk of the front flip-down cover. I love how the receiver looks from the front, but that thing is just too big, lol. I was looking to be able to use the USB port with my entertainment center door open, with the cover down, but that can't happen. I'll have to trim a little more of the back to see if I can move it rearward more, but I'm really not that bothered by it. I have other devices I can use when it comes down to it

Anyways - I sincerely appreciate all the posts from those who've been contributing in this thread I'm looking forward to many years of A/V happiness with this new purchase

Chuck
post #924 of 1829 Old 01-03-2011, 07:42 PM

Liked: 15
Anyone have an issue with CD playback where the 808 does not playback the first 2 seconds of audio? I'm using an lg bd390 player and when inserting a CD, the first track won't be heard until 2 seconds in. Also, if I skip tracks (for example go to track 8 from track 2) the audio wont be heard on track 8 for the first 2 seconds. When this happens, I see the stereo light disappear on the 808 then come back on when audio is finally heard. I guess the 808 is trying to determine the signal type and is just not able to quick enough? Don't have another CD player to try at the moment so can't tell if this is an LG or 808 issue. Appreciate any comments on this.
post #925 of 1829 Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 View Post

Anyone have an issue with CD playback where the 808 does not playback the first 2 seconds of audio? I'm using an lg bd390 player and when inserting a CD, the first track won't be heard until 2 seconds in. Also, if I skip tracks (for example go to track 8 from track 2) the audio wont be heard on track 8 for the first 2 seconds. When this happens, I see the stereo light disappear on the 808 then come back on when audio is finally heard. I guess the 808 is trying to determine the signal type and is just not able to quick enough? Don't have another CD player to try at the moment so can't tell if this is an LG or 808 issue. Appreciate any comments on this.

If I'm switching sources, that sounds about right, or in certain other circumstances when I'm, for example, making changes on my PS3, I'll get a similar delay while the 808 is working it out (so-to-speak). I'm a little worried that it sounds like yours is doing it just skipping tracks, though... Does it do something similar with other sources? Maybe the tracks are coded differently?...
post #926 of 1829 Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

You might want to check that your default listening mode for that source is set appropriately so it doesn't have to detect and switch
post #927 of 1829 Old 01-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No I fully grasp the concept. And I completely understand what you want. I just think you are in a small minority of folks that would want this feature. Your reason for wanting it in the receiver was to eliminate a cable, yet we don't need a cable anyway (with ARC).

Yeah, whatever. Do you realize how many prerequisites it takes to use ARC?
Quote:

It is only inferior in quality since cable (and satellite as well) is compressed versus OTA signals (OK, I'll give you price too since it's free). However, in content, OTA signals don't hold a candle to cable/satellite!

Gee, thanks for at least acknowledging all the proper comparisons. Quantity has nothing to do with it.
Quote:

And why would you want to add another link in the chain if your desire is the best possible picture and sound? Now you have to wonder if your AVR is truly passing the signal unchanged.

Huh?

post #928 of 1829 Old 01-04-2011, 10:32 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post

If I'm switching sources, that sounds about right, or in certain other circumstances when I'm, for example, making changes on my PS3, I'll get a similar delay while the 808 is working it out (so-to-speak). I'm a little worried that it sounds like yours is doing it just skipping tracks, though... Does it do something similar with other sources? Maybe the tracks are coded differently?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlepir8 View Post

You might want to check that your default listening mode for that source is set appropriately so it doesn't have to detect and switch

Folks, thanks for the replies, I did set the default listening mode but that didn't seem to help. So can somone confirm that when listening to a CD if they skip from one track to another does the audio begin right away or is it delayed? Note I don't experience any delay if I let the CD move from track to track, it's only when skipping tracks or when first inserting the disc. Thanks
post #929 of 1829 Old 01-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Folks, thanks for the replies, I did set the default listening mode but that didn't seem to help. So can somone confirm that when listening to a CD if they skip from one track to another does the audio begin right away or is it delayed? Note I don't experience any delay if I let the CD move from track to track, it's only when skipping tracks or when first inserting the disc. Thanks

Maybe it has something to-do with the fact that the lg bd390 isn't a CD player.

post #930 of 1829 Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

jav1, have you tried changing the output method on the bd390?

"HD-audio output turns out to be extremely versatile on the BD 390 you can choose whether the player outputs HD sound as an analogue, PCM, or bitstream signal. But we recommend you forget about the analogue output, since the speaker setup lacks sufficiently fine adjustment there's no delay-correction setting, for example. Praiseworthy, on the other hand, is the LG's ability to convert Dolby Digital Plus and TrueHD into newly encoded DTS audio for receivers that lack an HDMI input."

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page