The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR808 Thread - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR808 Thread

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Nameless1's Avatar Nameless1
03:37 PM Liked: 10
post #91 of 1851
08-02-2010 | Posts: 17
Joined: Jul 2007
Ditto ...just ordered from New Egg last night
calebju's Avatar calebju
01:41 PM Liked: 10
post #92 of 1851
08-03-2010 | Posts: 33
Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc5 View Post


streaming flacs through ethernet is what i thought all 'networked' receivers should be able to do... but if you're able to stream mp3s, but not flacs, what type of flacs do you have. i thought i read in the manual that flac streaming is limited to 2channel flac. you have any 2 channel flacs to test stream?

No problem to stream flac. However, I cannot stream m4a (itune) files. Anyone?
a4toronto's Avatar a4toronto
06:42 PM Liked: 10
post #93 of 1851
08-04-2010 | Posts: 61
Joined: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyw View Post

Does the 808 remote comes with most other devices' code?
I can't seem to find the Oppo BDP-80's code from the database.
Can it replace like a Logitech Harmony?

not only does the remote have most codes in the manual, but the network features of the receiver allow you to look up "new" codes and update the remote.
abc5's Avatar abc5
07:03 PM Liked: 10
post #94 of 1851
08-04-2010 | Posts: 163
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebju View Post

No problem to stream flac. However, I cannot stream m4a (itune) files. Anyone?


hi, flacs from a pc 'play to' the nr808, as well as the reverse... from the GUI of the nr808 selecting flac files off a source?
hummer28's Avatar hummer28
09:24 PM Liked: 13
post #95 of 1851
08-04-2010 | Posts: 160
Joined: Jun 2003
I'm having an issue with my 808 that is driving me crazy. Whenever I am watching a station that isn't producing a Dolby Digital 5.1 feed the sound on my receiver goes out every few seconds very quickly. I can't determine what is causing this, but it happens only when "All Ch Stereo" is displayed. I've read through the manual a million times to no avail. I also can't figure out why the orange Dolby logo (pictured under the word "Audyssey") lights up although a stereo signal is being received from the Uverse box. I have attached a picture of exactly what my receiver looks like when the stuttering occurs. Any suggestions?
LL
mpyw's Avatar mpyw
01:53 AM Liked: 11
post #96 of 1851
08-05-2010 | Posts: 280
Joined: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4toronto View Post

not only does the remote have most codes in the manual, but the network features of the receiver allow you to look up "new" codes and update the remote.

I was online to try to look for code for my Oppo BDP-80, it could not found it but list BDP-83, so I try to save the BDP-83 code to the Onkyo remote but it says code not available..
MandM's Avatar MandM
03:43 AM Liked: 16
post #97 of 1851
08-05-2010 | Posts: 1,218
Joined: Jun 2004
Any Canadians get there hands on this receiver yet? What is Onkyo Canada waiting for? Is there that many 807's still kicking around? The real bonus with the 808 is the inclusion of Slacker radio and Last.fm. Two kick a$$ internet radio stations available to us Canadians.
tboo's Avatar tboo
06:43 AM Liked: 10
post #98 of 1851
08-05-2010 | Posts: 1,222
Joined: Jan 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer28 View Post

I'm having an issue with my 808 that is driving me crazy. Whenever I am watching a station that isn't producing a Dolby Digital 5.1 feed the sound on my receiver goes out every few seconds very quickly. I can't determine what is causing this, but it happens only when "All Ch Stereo" is displayed. I've read through the manual a million times to no avail. I also can't figure out why the orange Dolby logo (pictured under the word "Audyssey") lights up although a stereo signal is being received from the Uverse box. I have attached a picture of exactly what my receiver looks like when the stuttering occurs. Any suggestions?

What TV service are you using?
JChin's Avatar JChin
07:21 AM Liked: 140
post #99 of 1851
08-05-2010 | Posts: 8,637
Joined: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboo View Post

What TV service are you using?

OP stated on post, Uverse AT&T.
JChin's Avatar JChin
07:29 AM Liked: 140
post #100 of 1851
08-05-2010 | Posts: 8,637
Joined: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer28 View Post

I'm having an issue with my 808 that is driving me crazy. Whenever I am watching a station that isn't producing a Dolby Digital 5.1 feed the sound on my receiver goes out every few seconds very quickly. I can't determine what is causing this, but it happens only when "All Ch Stereo" is displayed. I've read through the manual a million times to no avail. I also can't figure out why the orange Dolby logo (pictured under the word "Audyssey") lights up although a stereo signal is being received from the Uverse box. I have attached a picture of exactly what my receiver looks like when the stuttering occurs. Any suggestions?

Hi hummer28, Uverse has issue with audio drop out with DD 5.1.

On the remote press "Receiver" and then "Display" repeatedly to cycle through for information on signal format. Your listening mode is set to play equal sound from all speakers but actually its still recieving DD 5.1.
tboo's Avatar tboo
07:44 AM Liked: 10
post #101 of 1851
08-05-2010 | Posts: 1,222
Joined: Jan 2002
As said before its you box not the receiver. I have Uverse & have had the same problem with several receivers. There is a huge thread on this in the ATT Uverse forums.
hummer28's Avatar hummer28
09:42 AM Liked: 13
post #102 of 1851
08-05-2010 | Posts: 160
Joined: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboo View Post

As said before its you box not the receiver. I have Uverse & have had the same problem with several receivers. There is a huge thread on this in the ATT Uverse forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi hummer28, Uverse has issue with audio drop out with DD 5.1.

On the remote press "Receiver" and then "Display" repeatedly to cycle through for information on signal format. Your listening mode is set to play equal sound from all speakers but actually its still recieving DD 5.1.

Thanks for helping me out. I have to break character for a moment and state that this completely sucks. I don't see a resolution in sight based upon everything I've read. The odd part is that I never had this problem with my Onkyo TX-NR905 using the exact same cable box. I'm not technical enough to venture a guess at what changed, but something did.
tboo's Avatar tboo
10:14 AM Liked: 10
post #103 of 1851
08-05-2010 | Posts: 1,222
Joined: Jan 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer28 View Post

Thanks for helping me out. I have to break character for a moment and state that this completely sucks. I don't see a resolution in sight based upon everything I've read. The odd part is that I never had this problem with my Onkyo TX-NR905 using the exact same cable box. I'm not technical enough to venture a guess at what changed, but something did.

With my Uverse boxes, if I set them to 2 channel audio, the drop-outs go away. Not a big deal for me since I really dont care about 5.1 audio for TV shows.
abc5's Avatar abc5
02:18 PM Liked: 10
post #104 of 1851
08-06-2010 | Posts: 163
Joined: Sep 2007
how do you acquire the firmware version off the GUI?
a4toronto's Avatar a4toronto
07:38 PM Liked: 10
post #105 of 1851
08-06-2010 | Posts: 61
Joined: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

Any Canadians get there hands on this receiver yet? What is Onkyo Canada waiting for? Is there that many 807's still kicking around? The real bonus with the 808 is the inclusion of Slacker radio and Last.fm. Two kick a$$ internet radio stations available to us Canadians.

i've had mine for two weeks.
la9ers's Avatar la9ers
08:37 PM Liked: 10
post #106 of 1851
08-06-2010 | Posts: 121
Joined: Feb 2006
just got my new 808 yesterday..... any recommended settings i need to adjust?

thanks.
MandM's Avatar MandM
01:50 AM Liked: 16
post #107 of 1851
08-07-2010 | Posts: 1,218
Joined: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4toronto View Post

i've had mine for two weeks.

You networked? Have you tried Slacker radio or Last.fm?
direwolfpgh's Avatar direwolfpgh
06:06 AM Liked: 10
post #108 of 1851
08-07-2010 | Posts: 60
Joined: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc5 View Post

hi, flacs from a pc 'play to' the nr808, as well as the reverse... from the GUI of the nr808 selecting flac files off a source?

I'm now able to stream flac on the network directly into the receiver.

I could not get the receiver to play flac from shared folders. (.mp3 but not flac).. so..

After installing the Foobar2000 UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point 0.99.28 - and a few clicks to configure Flac only streams.. all is well!
native 24/96 flac playback using the receivers built-in browser - nice!

here is my current config for the server plugin:
Attachment 182492

you must have the Foobar DLNA server software running on the computer that hosts the audio.

I would be very curious if anyone can stream flac from a NAS.. i dont believe you'll be able to.

great receiver it brings much enjoyment to the man cave.
LL
abc5's Avatar abc5
06:04 PM Liked: 10
post #109 of 1851
08-07-2010 | Posts: 163
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolfpgh View Post

I'm now able to stream flac on the network directly into the receiver.

I could not get the receiver to play flac from shared folders. (.mp3 but not flac).. so..

After installing the Foobar2000 UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point 0.99.28 - and a few clicks to configure Flac only streams.. all is well!
native 24/96 flac playback using the receivers built-in browser - nice!

here is my current config for the server plugin:
Attachment 182492

you must have the Foobar DLNA server software running on the computer that hosts the audio.

I would be very curious if anyone can stream flac from a NAS.. i dont believe you'll be able to.

great receiver it brings much enjoyment to the man cave.


Hi there... man cave is right! lol.
say, how are you streaming...
having the foobar software w/ the dlna server 'started', the 808 can then detect the pc 'server' that has foobar active.
have you been going to the 808's OSD, then toggling to
'playback stream capture'.... while you['re playing a flac on foobar...

the OSD shows 'PCM 24bit/96kHz while playing...

basically is there a way to configure things whereby you'd click on a flac file on the pc, and foobar can immediately route it to the nr808? Thus I won't need my LCD turned on to see the nr808's OSD.
RichB's Avatar RichB
08:20 PM Liked: 291
post #110 of 1851
08-07-2010 | Posts: 8,977
Joined: Nov 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolfpgh View Post

I would be very curious if anyone can stream flac from a NAS.. i dont believe you'll be able to.

I stream 44.1/CD quality and 24/96 FLAC files from my ReadyNAS pro to the Onkyo 5507 preamp and the HT-180 receiver.

- Rich
mpyw's Avatar mpyw
09:46 PM Liked: 11
post #111 of 1851
08-07-2010 | Posts: 280
Joined: May 2007
AVS review of the 608 said that it can be configured to a 9.1 setup by adding an external amp. Can 808 do that also?

All I knew if I want the Wide or Height or powered Zone 2/3, I'll have to give up the rear surround channel....

Also, how to make the 12v trigger work in main zone??
Bleeding Edge's Avatar Bleeding Edge
05:37 PM Liked: 10
post #112 of 1851
08-09-2010 | Posts: 13
Joined: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by la9ers View Post

just got my new 808 yesterday..... any recommended settings i need to adjust?

thanks.

I've had my 808 for a few days, and these settings sound fantastic:

Start with the Audyssey automated setup. It's very accurate with speaker distances, phase, EQ, even levels. Except for the subs. No bass lover will ever be happy with truly "flat" (accurate-on-paper) bass. Bump your subs up about 3-6dB manually after setup, and thank me later.

You'll find two menus to navigate, and one often overrides the other. The first, Setup, is where you do your calibration and overall preferences. Some Setup options also let you do per-input preferences. Be sure to check those out. I was able to force all music to Stereo out of my Sonos, while letting the home theater gear go with chosen surround formats.

While we're on the subject of Stereo, the 808 also provides "audiophile" settings, called "Direct" and "Pure," which turn off all unneeded processing for the most direct audio signal path. I didn't use these, because they disable some very cool audio enhancements (Audyssey Dynamic EQ and THX Loudness Plus, for example) that I fell in love with.

I stayed away from Audyssey Dynamic Volume. (Don't confuse it with Audyssey Dynamic EQ, which is awesome.) I've never used any dynamic range limiter, and I never will, regardless of the time of night. Feel free to experiment with this "Midnight" mode if you'd like, though. I hear it can save a marriage.

I also didn't need IntelliVolume, where you can set individual volume levels for each input. It may be handy to try, if you switch between different sources and the volume goes up or down significantly. I was lucky...no such problem.

The second menu is accessed by the remote's Home button, and that's for on-the-fly sound/picture adjustments that override some of the Setup choices. (Jockeying between the two menus can get aggravating, but I do like the level of control.) Sometimes that override works vice-versa. For example, if you choose a Setup option such as THX Loudness Plus, the Audyssey Dynamic EQ option will be grayed out in the Home menu for any source using THX (the two competing loudness enhancers cannot work together on a particular source). Explore the Home menu thoroughly. Via that menu, I was able to turn off THX's Re-EQ, which sounds dull (and is unnecessary) on DIRECTV.

You should listen to the sound of both music and movies, with Audyssey Dynamic EQ, then THX Loudness Plus, to determine if you like one better. They are two competing solutions for low-volume listening, both using sophisticated new algorithms for loudness compensation. I didn't prefer Dynamic EQ so much for TV (slightly chesty male voices on some TV channels and, yes, I know, it's the networks' fault for boosting the midbass). Either way, it's pretty dang sweet for both music and Blu-ray movies. THX Loudness plus only works on THX modes (so, no dice for stereo), but its lighter touch and superb handling of surround at low volume made it the winner for video. Fortunately, the 808 lets you choose both simultaneously, as long as you keep Audyssey Dynamic EQ away from sources using THX surround modes (you can use Audyssey Dynamic EQ with THX modes if you disable THX Loudness Plus). I chose Audyssey Dynamic EQ for Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, and stereo sources (great for movies and music), and THX Loudness Plus for any source using THX surround modes (great for DIRECTV).

While you're in the Home menu, make sure you turn off anything having to do with video processing or noise reduction. Those items always introduce more problems (artifacts) than they solve.

If you have a stellar HDTV, like a Pioneer Kuro or something, set the Resolution (Input/Output Assign in main Setup) to "Through." This will pass any HDMI signal to the TV, unaltered. Your kickass TV can then do its own upconverting/scaling kung fu. (Note: This is NOT the "HDMI Passthrough" that allows HDMI signals to pass from a source through the receiver to the TV, even when the receiver is off. I recommend that you don't use that feature if possible--it's a power hog, and who cares about TV sound.)

For best handling of video, use only HDMI-based sources. Banish all analog video from the system. That shouldn't be a problem, as anyone upgrading to this receiver should have both feet planted in the HD realm. HDMI switching with the receiver is reasonably quick; when you introduce analog video, upconverting, and outputting it via HDMI, you'll slow switching down. Every significant reason for buying this receiver over last year's model is digital, anyway.

Don't forget to check your speakers' impedance, and adjust the receiver accordingly in "Speaker Settings." You have two choices: 6 Ohms and 4 Ohms.

I moved to this unit from a Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH receiver that originally cost $400 more at retail. While the two sounded neck-and-neck unequalized (and EQ'd at full volume), the 808's Audyssey Dynamic EQ and THX Loudness Plus are better for the lower volume levels of everyday listening. That's why I bought the 808--for its uncanny ability to push bits around. Everyone tells me that the Onkyo amp section sounds better than the Pioneer's, but I wouldn't know either way. I'm using an Audio Refinement external amp for the fronts, and it sounds epic. I'm letting the two Revel B15a subs handle bass management. Since the juice comes from elsewhere, the Onkyo merely needs to put its digital stank on the full-range signals, and make them sound pretty.

And boy, does it sound pretty. So I got that going for me. Which is nice.
jiris's Avatar jiris
07:00 AM Liked: 10
post #113 of 1851
08-10-2010 | Posts: 4
Joined: May 2010
Hi
Found the first review of the 808 here.

Im getting one (when the ridiculous price in Sweden drops , now about 1500$)
tboo's Avatar tboo
08:02 AM Liked: 10
post #114 of 1851
08-10-2010 | Posts: 1,222
Joined: Jan 2002
I really like the new on-screen gui. A big improvement over previous Onkyos.
johnnycat15's Avatar johnnycat15
08:42 PM Liked: 10
post #115 of 1851
08-10-2010 | Posts: 1
Joined: May 2010
Can someone who owns the 808 conferm that you can log int the reciever an turn on the different zones and switch inputs? I would like to be in the back yard log in with my iPhone and turn on zone 2 to listen to music.

Thanks
hummer28's Avatar hummer28
09:22 PM Liked: 13
post #116 of 1851
08-10-2010 | Posts: 160
Joined: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiris View Post

Hi
Found the first review of the 808 here.

Im getting one (when the ridiculous price in Sweden drops , now about 1500$)

Thanks for the link to the review. I noticed that the reviewer falsely claims that the 808 has two HDMI video outs. I'm fairly certain this is not the case. The step up 1008 should add that feature. I just wanted to be sure you caught that!
MandM's Avatar MandM
10:19 PM Liked: 16
post #117 of 1851
08-10-2010 | Posts: 1,218
Joined: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer28 View Post

Thanks for the link to the review. I noticed that the reviewer falsely claims that the 808 has two HDMI video outs. I'm fairly certain this is not the case. The step up 1008 should add that feature. I just wanted to be sure you caught that!

European (review source) and Asian models have 2 hdmi outs.
mpyw's Avatar mpyw
11:16 PM Liked: 11
post #118 of 1851
08-10-2010 | Posts: 280
Joined: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer28 View Post

Thanks for the link to the review. I noticed that the reviewer falsely claims that the 808 has two HDMI video outs. I'm fairly certain this is not the case. The step up 1008 should add that feature. I just wanted to be sure you caught that!

I am in Malaysia and my NR808 do have 2 HDMI out...minus the Sirius HD Radio (which is not available here anyway) of the US model.
onesolo's Avatar onesolo
06:31 AM Liked: 11
post #119 of 1851
08-11-2010 | Posts: 45
Joined: May 2009
There are new firmwares for download for the European models, 708/808 and 1008
http://www.eu.onkyo.com/firmware/fir...en_8719306.php
phonon00's Avatar phonon00
12:53 PM Liked: 10
post #120 of 1851
08-11-2010 | Posts: 2
Joined: Jan 2010
I got my 808 hooked up yesterday. I'm able to program the remote to control my Samsung TV, and my Popcorn Hour media tank. But for some reason I can't get the Onkyo remote to control my Dish Network VIP622. I've tried both through the entering of remote codes into the remote, and through the IR programming from the receiver.

Anyone else have a similar issue?
Tags: Onkyo Tx Nr808

Gear in this thread - Nr808 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3