The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR808 Thread - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 1829 Old 08-14-2013, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

have anybody experienced problems with jerky video and audio in case of Dolby TruHD audio use ?. I have about 6 ripped movies which has also DTS HD soundtrack. When playing this movies it is not played well, the video and audio is kind of jerky with some green horizontal strips. It is played from my PC via HDMI. When i choose another audio stream with the same movie (DD,DTS etc.) it is all ok. I have latest firmware version

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1829 Old 08-14-2013, 02:18 PM

wink.gif
post #1803 of 1829 Old 08-23-2013, 07:41 AM

Dang it! I just lost audio, more than likely the HDMI board.

I called the nearest authorized repair center, Norman's Electronics in Atlanta. They said average repair was $250.00, but they wouldn't commit.

They also said 80% of all A/V receivers that come in for repair have a bad HDMI board. He said no brand is better than another, they all have HDMI board issues.

Now, I'll have to decide whether to replace the unit or get it repaired. If I replace, I think I'll go with the cheapest A/V with preamp outs and get an outboard amp. This is a bummer!
post #1804 of 1829 Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMac View Post

Dang it! I just lost audio, more than likely the HDMI board.

I called the nearest authorized repair center, Norman's Electronics in Atlanta. They said average repair was $250.00, but they wouldn't commit.

They also said 80% of all A/V receivers that come in for repair have a bad HDMI board. He said no brand is better than another, they all have HDMI board issues.

Now, I'll have to decide whether to replace the unit or get it repaired. If I replace, I think I'll go with the cheapest A/V with preamp outs and get an outboard amp. This is a bummer!

How long did you have it for? I still have my fingers crossed.
post #1805 of 1829 Old 10-19-2013, 04:42 PM

Just FYI, Onkyo is fixing this issue well outside of warranty, and the process is quite easy. Unfortunately I'm going on week 8 that mine has been in the shop, with no estimate on time of completion.
post #1806 of 1829 Old 11-23-2013, 11:42 PM

I don't believe it. I just rushed out and paid too much money for one of these "clunkers" (having seen the impressive review a while back in What Hifi..their machine obviously worked for the demo period ha ha!) without taking time to check the HUNDREDS of failure problem posts, both here and on Amazon.Wow. Looks like I am committed to this "dog"..at least the guy assures me it is working now..but just for that little ray of hope and glimmer of sunshine, is there anyone in the world who has not had a problem with this lemon:eek:.....anyone? Because mine is second hand I done think Onkyo will be doing me favours way down here in New Zealand!! I will be holding onto my reliable Yamaha RXV671 in the meantime...and I thought I was upgrading eek.gif

Cheers
post #1807 of 1829 Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 64
You just bought the 808 or the newest model, the 828? I've had mine since July of 2010 and have never had a problem with it. Onkyo is aware of the problems with their HDMI boards and have extended service past warranties for many of those affected. Every brand has their shortcomings, just reading through these forums makes you want to stay away from all of them. I will continue to purchase Onkyo's as long as they make competitively-priced, feature-heavy, high-powered receivers. I hope whatever issue your receiver is having is fixed and doesn't repeat.

fdsfds
post #1808 of 1829 Old 11-29-2013, 08:13 AM

Hi guys,

I have this wonderfull AVR but I don't know which impedence is correct to set, my speakers are all 8hm but the recevier let me select 4 or 6 ohm.

What is the correct impedence?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings from Italy :)

post #1809 of 1829 Old 11-29-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaz View Post

Hi guys,

I have this wonderfull AVR but I don't know which impedence is correct to set, my speakers are all 8hm but the recevier let me select 4 or 6 ohm.

What is the correct impedence?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings from Italy smile.gif

Hi Goaz, from the manual.

Speaker Impedance
> 4ohms: Select if the impedance of any speaker is 4 ohms or more but less than 6.

> 6ohms: Select if the impedances of all speakers are between 6 and 16 ohms.
post #1810 of 1829 Old 03-08-2014, 01:50 AM

Hello

Got a TX NR 808 - Any idea what are the best speaker combinations for a 7.2 system.

If i could get a recommendation on some brands for speakers and this amp, it would be great.

Thanks in Advance

Nash

Email - nash.saldanha@gmail.com
post #1811 of 1829 Old 03-09-2014, 04:34 AM

Just bought a defective TX-NR808.   first it would not turn on .  after disconnecting the powerline to the amplifier boards everything works fine exept ofcourse the amplifier part.  Internetradio works and probably the hdmi connections although i have not yet tested that.  Now i have it connected to my quad 303 amp. works like a charm.

Now i would like to fix the amplifierboards.  my best guess is it is shortcircuited somehow.  How would you rule out the individual connected boards?

It's a nice buy for only 40 euro's , but i'd like to set it up in my cinema room.

post #1812 of 1829 Old 03-26-2014, 10:14 AM

my aging 808 just got the "no audio via HDMI" bug.

Really weighing time and trouble to get this fixed vs just dropping $400-500 on a 4K ready, 7.2channel comparable...thoughts?

I like the Sirius integration, I use it quite a bit when hosting card/board game friends.

I like the audyssey automatic sound tuning.

I have game consoles on HDMI, a server RAID array HTPC on HDMI, and having more HDMI would be nice, but only 5 required.

I NEED 7.2 native since I currently have some Energy RC, some Energy sides, front, center, and a Klipsh 10" powered sub.

I also use the Channel B audio for some outside speakers that I can pump Sirius tunes to when I'm lounging on my patio. THIS seems like the hardest feature to match in a 7.2 Reciever...
post #1813 of 1829 Old 03-29-2014, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

I recently went from the 808 to the 1010 and couldn't be happier - no 4k pass through, but I don't plan to adopt for a few years. The 1010 can be found for a great price at Onecall.com. Another great option is the NR929.

fdsfds
post #1814 of 1829 Old 04-08-2014, 03:50 PM

Liked: 12

I turned on my rec. Saturday to watch a movie and had no sound. I was to lazy to get my manual to do a reset so I googled it. Then My heart stopped when I started to see posts about no audio. Spent sunday reading up on how to fix, even found a ship and repair on ebay for $85.00. Then I came across this and was going to try http://www.avsforum.com/t/1246078/how-to-diy-tx-sr576-tx-sr606-etc-hdmi-daughterboard-repair-for-dummies

Then I read this forum and decided I would contact Onkyo. I emailed my receipt and serial number. Today I got email back with a warranty repair authorization. Cost me $45 to ship from work and all repair is covered. I bought a refurb unit back in dec. 2011 and they are fixing it. Another reason I will not buy any other manufacture's product (well maybe Denon) I really think you should Contact Onkyo for repair.

post #1815 of 1829 Old 04-23-2014, 09:54 AM

Hello All,

I just moved my av gear around today (APR-23-2014) & cleaned the shelves & gear of dust & got everything hooked back up to discover my TX-NR808 has "died" from the apparent HDMI board issue!? So, I called ONKYO (210-785-2600 option 4) & was sent an email to contact them with my issue. I purchased the unit on APR-19-2011, I'm clearly out of warranty.. (the gentleman I spoke with on the phone today confirmed this) so, I'm now going to wait & see what ONKYO does from here!? START THE TIMER. . . . LOL If they are willing to fix it, great!
Good luck to all & lets hope ONKYO does the right thing here.. I'll post an update when I hear from them!
Later, Phil B.
post #1816 of 1829 Old 04-23-2014, 05:57 PM

Mine is still in repair jail. They got it on the 11th worked on it on the 16th, ordered the part that day. The part was supposed to arrive today the 23rd, no part today maybe tomorrow they said. This sucks I hate repair jail. Not to mention I had to ship it to a repair facility in MI. so even if they get part tomorrow no rec. till next week.  

post #1817 of 1829 Old 04-24-2014, 02:34 AM

My TX-NR808 died last winter. Jumped through Onkyo's hoops of no shipping box and no close repair shops. Too expensive with out a guarantee the fix would stick, which has happened.
After considering the cost and time involved to get this fixed and the fact that Onkyo explained to me that if they found anything else wrong with it other than the HDMI board, I would have to pay for that, I decided to eat the loss and buy another brand of AVR. What I bought is excellent.
post #1818 of 1829 Old 04-25-2014, 03:56 PM

Just got email with tracking number. Now the shipping wait. :eek: Will update post once I get it.

Ok got it today via FedEx Ground. Hooked it up and it works like new. They replaced the processing board. So a total of 3 weeks shipping to and from and the repair time.

post #1819 of 1829 Old 05-22-2014, 05:03 PM

well I got my 808 in February of 2011 and today my kids come in saying that there is no sound. I try every input and get nothing and then I noticed I didn't even get the usb/net menu so I went to menu and network, remote, firmware are grayed out. I am freaking out as I cant afford another new receiver and I hit this page looking for a factory reset (which did not help). now I need to call onkyo tomorrow and hope the bout did not sail on this problem of theirs and they fix my receiver fingers crossed.
post #1820 of 1829 Old 06-06-2014, 06:44 AM

My 808 Receiver stopped working today. For the last 2 weeks I sometimes had no sound when I turned the receiver on. This happened when turning on the receiver or when switching from one input to another. When I totally switch off the receiver (so not standby) I got it working again, until I switch to another input. But since today the receiver only gives sound for about 5 to 10 seconds and then it stops.. No error or anything. I disconnected al unnecessary cables, without any result. I'm using both HDMI (for video) and Optical (for audio). Video keeps working fine.

Im going to do a factory reset tonight. Anyone has some other options?

post #1821 of 1829 Old 06-06-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoff View Post

My 808 Receiver stopped working today. For the last 2 weeks I sometimes had no sound when I turned the receiver on. This happened when turning on the receiver or when switching from one input to another. When I totally switch off the receiver (so not standby) I got it working again, until I switch to another input. But since today the receiver only gives sound for about 5 to 10 seconds and then it stops.. No error or anything. I disconnected al unnecessary cables, without any result. I'm using both HDMI (for video) and Optical (for audio). Video keeps working fine.

Im going to do a factory reset tonight. Anyone has some other options?

I think you have the same problem as the rest of us have had. Contact Onkyo and hopefully they will repair it for you. You need to have your receipt and hope you bought it from an authorized seller. 

Sorry but it is a major issue with that year of all receiver's.

post #1822 of 1829 Old 06-07-2014, 02:36 PM

Mine died of the no audio condition last October. I replaced it with a Yamaha RX-A2020 because I was thought there was no way Onkyo would fix a Refurb Unit purchased from Amazon in January 2011. Figuring I had nothing to lose I got around to contacting Onkyo in March 2014 to see what they could do. I was surprised they approved the warranty replacement but I was in the middle of a move across country so I didn't send the unit to the NJ repair facility until late May. I got it back today. I haven't hooked it up yet but the repair invoice says they replaced the offending HDMI board and a couple other ancillary items. While bummed the unit had this common problem that impacted so may models/units I'm happy they at least stepped up to fix it (assuming it works when I get around to hooking it up smile.gif )
post #1823 of 1829 Old 06-08-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't been in the forums for ages; because everything has been working so well I guess. That is until the No Audio out HDMI board problem finally surfaced on my NR808. I purchased from OneCall via Amazon back in November of 2010. From seeing issues repaired by slow cooking the HDMI board in the oven on youtube, and someone's comment above that the repair was to reflow the IC-3000 it has me believe it's possibly a bad pcb assembly. It could be that the heat simply gets to this board and component after a while.

Since it's Sunday, I'm going to just try opening the case and spraying the board with some Corrosion Block, (magic spray), especially around the IC's and caps. Then I'l contact Onkyo tomorrow and see what they say about repair. There is an authorized service place not too far from my work, so I'm hoping I can keep the unit until they get the part in if it goes that route. Otherwise, there's ebay.

For now, I sometimes can get audio and network functions back with the factory reset, but it's not all the time. It's been a really great AVR until this, so I hope I can either get it fixed under what Onkyo's been doing with a one-time fix post-warranty or with the $85.00 ebay board swap. Otherwise it'll be time for a new AVR. Sigh..
post #1824 of 1829 Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlepir8 View Post
I haven't been in the forums for ages; because everything has been working so well I guess. That is until the No Audio out HDMI board problem finally surfaced on my NR808. I purchased from OneCall via Amazon back in November of 2010. From seeing issues repaired by slow cooking the HDMI board in the oven on youtube, and someone's comment above that the repair was to reflow the IC-3000 it has me believe it's possibly a bad pcb assembly. It could be that the heat simply gets to this board and component after a while.<br><br>
Since it's Sunday, I'm going to just try opening the case and spraying the board with some Corrosion Block, (magic spray), especially around the IC's and caps. Then I'l contact Onkyo tomorrow and see what they say about repair. There is an authorized service place not too far from my work, so I'm hoping I can keep the unit until they get the part in if it goes that route. Otherwise, there's ebay.<br><br>
For now, I sometimes can get audio and network functions back with the factory reset, but it's not all the time. It's been a really great AVR until this, so I hope I can either get it fixed under what Onkyo's been doing with a one-time fix post-warranty or with the $85.00 ebay board swap. Otherwise it'll be time for a new AVR. Sigh..
Well I can't say anything bad about my experience with Onkyo support thus far. I called the support line, left a message to receive a call back. I go the call within 24 hours. I had to email my information including the bill of sale, then after a week I received this email:

Thank you for writing us here at Onkyo USA. It is very important for us to hear from our customers and to respond to them as soon as possible.

We would like to assist you. We will provide a one time warranty accommodation for your TXNR808 as long as there isn't any misuse or abuse to the unit.

When you ship or mail your unit please provide your contact information for the service center that has been chosen:

Teletron Service Company Inc
4415 Aurora Ave
Seattle, WA 98103
206-633-0789 (Tel)
www.teletronservice.com

All necessary warranty paperwork will be forwarded to the service center.
Thank you,

Nothing wrong with that customer service IMHO.
post #1825 of 1829 Old 07-01-2014, 04:05 PM

Progress report, long-term 808 user

My 808 wacked out late in 2011...Unlike some people, I had a good experience with Onkyo's warranty coverage (though the receiver had to go to L.A. for repair). It has been working flawlessly ever since.

I'm considering upgrading to a receiver with Audyssey Multeq XT32...anybody comment about reliability of the 1010, 3009, 3010, 5009?

Bummed to hear that Onkyo is going to drop Audyssey. Comments? Thanks. Jack
post #1826 of 1829 Old 07-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

I upgraded from the 808 to the 1010 and there was a big difference. XT32 is amazing.

fdsfds
post #1827 of 1829 Old 07-04-2014, 06:07 AM

Liked: 11
You lucky bugger!

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.
-John Donne

My Home Theater (QTVR)
"Thirst is worse than homesickness"
post #1828 of 1829 Old 07-07-2014, 10:16 PM

Liked: 0
When I play Internet radio in both Zone 2 and the main Zone 1, it goes out
of sync. Does each Zone connect to the internet radio through its own Network Connection?

If yes, this is lame. There is noticeable d - e - l - a - y in the music between the two zones. It starts out in sync, but then drifts off after a few min. So when you stand between the two rooms in the doorway, you hear playing at ~350ms Delay. Most annoying.

Any ideas?

Peace from Vancouver, Can.

Last edited by savmancr; 07-07-2014 at 10:21 PM.
post #1829 of 1829 Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by savmancr View Post

Vancouver, Can.

I should add that I recently had my unit serviced on warranty. They said the HDMI board crapped out
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page