The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR808 Thread - Page 62 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1831 of 1851 Old 09-29-2014, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How did you get Onkyo to send you packing materials and shipping label? They told me I had to pay for my own packing and shipping, so I opted to forget it and bought a Denon instead. I still have my 808 and would consider sending it back they paid for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1851 Old 09-29-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkspotted View Post
How did you get Onkyo to send you packing materials and shipping label? They told me I had to pay for my own packing and shipping, so I opted to forget it and bought a Denon instead. I still have my 808 and would consider sending it back they paid for it.
Have you been to this site?
http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php#
post #1833 of 1851 Old 09-29-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMac View Post

No, I never saw that link.

I contacted them over a year ago. They took my info and approved the repair, but would not provide packing (I got rid of the box years ago. No space.) or shipping.
Looks like they will pay for it now (as of 8/2014).
They also made it clear that there was no guarantee with the repair and if they found something "else" wrong with it, I would have to pay for that.

BTW, from what I have read (here), the repair hasn't lasted for several people.

Thanks for the link. I'll give that a try tomorrow anyway.
post #1834 of 1851 Old 10-05-2014, 06:53 PM

Well, they shipped me the box in 5 days. Everything, including a return label and packing tape was included. I mailed it off Saturday. We'll see what happens.
post #1835 of 1851 Old 10-12-2014, 12:11 PM

I checked with FedEx. My receiver was delivered to Onkyo last Wednesday. I have yet to hear from them. Hopefully I'll get news this coming week.

Breaking News: I just checked the page and they have repaired my unit. It has a shipping number and is waiting to be picked up by FedEx!

Last edited by DougMac; 10-12-2014 at 12:20 PM.
post #1836 of 1851 Old 10-17-2014, 02:45 PM

Well, my receiver arrived Wednesday and I set it up in the Home Theater Thursday evening. Everything seems to be working fine. I was going to run Audyssey, but it sounds so good I'm going to wait.

I bought two external fans and placed them directly above the HDMI card. The unit sits in a rack whose back is in an 8x10 climate controlled storage room. There's a short shelf 4" above the unit, so the back half is open to the room.

I really hope this fix sticks. I'd like to get at least a couple of more years out of it. I may add external amps, but I've read that the chip on the HDMI board gets hot on its on.
post #1837 of 1851 Old 10-17-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
No, I never saw that link.

I contacted them over a year ago. They took my info and approved the repair, but would not provide packing (I got rid of the box years ago. No space.) or shipping.
Looks like they will pay for it now (as of 8/2014).
They also made it clear that there was no guarantee with the repair and if they found something "else" wrong with it, I would have to pay for that.

BTW, from what I have read (here), the repair hasn't lasted for several people.

Thanks for the link. I'll give that a try tomorrow anyway.
Used the link you provided. They sent all packing material and return label. I'll post when I get it back.
post #1838 of 1851 Old 10-18-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Used the link you provided. They sent all packing material and return label. I'll post when I get it back.
Glad I got you headed in the right direction. Hope the repair is successful.
post #1839 of 1851 Old 10-24-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi People!
Can anybody explain if it might be normal that putting the speaker crossover at e.g. 70Hz, the fronts already start to roll-off a lot earlier (above 100Hz....).
In conjunctoin with that, the subwoofer(s( already start losing output before the crossover point.
For example, if I want the subwoofer(s) to give straight output till 70Hz, I should put the crossover at 100Hz. This on it's turn results in a start of the main speaker rolloff way above 100Hz.

To me this does not seem OK. Found this out by measuring with REW and keeping in mind what a room can do to low frequencies.

Should I put the 808 on the side of the road and go shopping for a new one?
post #1840 of 1851 Old 11-10-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
Glad I got you headed in the right direction. Hope the repair is successful.
Quote:

Onkyo sent me shipping materials and paid for shipping. They received it, fixed it and send back all on the same day. Finally got a change to connect it today. WORKS GREAT!

Thanks Onkyo.
majkman likes this.
post #1841 of 1851 Old 12-10-2014, 11:09 AM

Liked: 0
Does anyone know if the 808 handles dsd straight to analogue or does it convert to pcm first?
post #1842 of 1851 Old 12-11-2014, 06:22 PM

808 just quit after 4 good years

As the title indicates, my 808 just developed the no audio issue. It started about two months back and I've been leaving it on to help keep it warmed up and functional.

I just sent off for the repair after finding this thread and the link to Onkyo's website for this issue.

Once I get it back, I plan on adding a RAM sink to the chip to keep the temps under control and hopefully prevent this from happening again. I may do a small and quiet fan, too.

I'll update with more findings when I get them.
post #1843 of 1851 Old 12-14-2014, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haste347 View Post
As the title indicates, my 808 just developed the no audio issue. It started about two months back and I've been leaving it on to help keep it warmed up and functional.

I just sent off for the repair after finding this thread and the link to Onkyo's website for this issue.

Once I get it back, I plan on adding a RAM sink to the chip to keep the temps under control and hopefully prevent this from happening again. I may do a small and quiet fan, too.

I'm sorry for your problem, but could I ask you where exactly I'll put the heat sink?
I would like to prevent any possible damage but I don't understand which is the board/chip involved
post #1844 of 1851 Old 12-22-2014, 07:56 AM

My refurbished 808 died yesterday after 4 years of service, so now I'll be switching over to the 636 forum. On first impressions, the 636 with its new propriety equalization produces a better sound! And I am now set for 4K and ATMOS, should it take off. Buh-bye!
post #1845 of 1851 Old 12-27-2014, 03:25 PM

Does anybody knows if there is a battery to change in the 808? I left mine without any power on for a week, and after return many settings were gone.

First there was no audio on any channel. Second there was nog 5V power on the USB-connection @ the front panel. Third all FM-settings were gone. Fourth no speaker settings were saved. Sixth my equalizer settings were set to standard. Seventh the internet connection was lost. Eighth probably many more I'm not aware of.

I did a reset on the 808 to the factory settings but still no luck. I left the machine on power for a while and then rebooted the receiver. YES! I was returned with audio and a few settings, but many were lost still.

Is this due to a memory loss caused by a bad battery?
post #1846 of 1851 Old 12-28-2014, 06:16 AM

Okay, HDMI board needs to be replaced. Thanx all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerreZ View Post
Does anybody knows if there is a battery to change in the 808? I left mine without any power on for a week, and after return many settings were gone.

First there was no audio on any channel. Second there was nog 5V power on the USB-connection @ the front panel. Third all FM-settings were gone. Fourth no speaker settings were saved. Sixth my equalizer settings were set to standard. Seventh the internet connection was lost. Eighth probably many more I'm not aware of.

I did a reset on the 808 to the factory settings but still no luck. I left the machine on power for a while and then rebooted the receiver. YES! I was returned with audio and a few settings, but many were lost still.

Is this due to a memory loss caused by a bad battery?
post #1847 of 1851 Old 12-30-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo.Kiwi View Post
I'm sorry for your problem, but could I ask you where exactly I'll put the heat sink?
I would like to prevent any possible damage but I don't understand which is the board/chip involved
I did some testing after getting it back and found that the DTS chip actually doesn't get very hot at all. It stayed among the cooler of the chips on the HDMI board.

I put 4 heatsinks on the largest chip as it was getting up to about 160F, and one on each of the smaller chips to the left of the large chip. They were in the 140-150F range. The two identical chips above the large chip got warm, around 110F. The others seemed to be around 100F. The heatsinks alone dropped the temp to around 120F and I ordered some 40x10mm silent fans to get some air moving across everything back there as there was another hot spot under the HDMI board, also in the 160F range, and adding a fan brought things down to near ambient. During the mild test, the main heatsink got in the 115-120F and the two factory fans never came on. I wonder how hot things must get before they do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2008.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	451138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2029.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	451146  
post #1848 of 1851 Old 12-30-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:

**Update**

I received the packing materials about 12/15 and I received the repaired unit back on 12/22. After verifying everything was working as it should, I popped the top and checked temps.(see post above for findings)
Unfortuately, I came across some busted ceramic. It's a bit hard to make out in the picture, but the white ceramic is broken off on the upper board marked with "F".
I don't see it causing an issue, but I will get with Onkyo to see if I should be concerned as it is marked "F" which may mean "fail". The other cards are marked as well, giving me the belief that all the amp boards were replaced as well. The fact that they have less dust on them than the surrounding parts supports this as well.

So far, Onkyo has me second guessing my decision to never buy from them again. They took care of their problem well out of warranty. Kudos to Onkyo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2023.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	451162  
post #1849 of 1851 Old 12-31-2014, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
**Update**

I received the packing materials about 12/15 and I received the repaired unit back on 12/22. After verifying everything was working as it should, I popped the top and checked temps.(see post above for findings)
Unfortuately, I came across some busted ceramic. It's a bit hard to make out in the picture, but the white ceramic is broken off on the upper board marked with "F".
I don't see it causing an issue, but I will get with Onkyo to see if I should be concerned as it is marked "F" which may mean "fail". The other cards are marked as well, giving me the belief that all the amp boards were replaced as well. The fact that they have less dust on them than the surrounding parts supports this as well.

So far, Onkyo has me second guessing my decision to never buy from them again. They took care of their problem well out of warranty. Kudos to Onkyo.
Unfortunately, many of their newer units also have the same HDMI failures, just not in as high volumes. After going to an 818 from my 808, that I had immediate issues with, and then to a 1010, I made the decision to go with a Marantz SR7008. I'm very pleased with my decision.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #1850 of 1851 Old 01-31-2015, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Unhappy < 4years of working NR808

My Onkyo began the random scrolling through audio modes a couple months ago, after having the unit since 2/2011. I contacted Onkyo, and they provided shipping material for me to send the unit to them for repairs.

When the unit returned from Onkyo repair, within 2 days the audio modes started scrolling through again. I called Onkyo, and they had me send the unit to a place called Bigston. I made it clear to them (and left a note in the box) that the unit has the issue not immediately after it is plugged back in, but after a couple days.

I just received the unit back from my second "repair". This time, my unit lasted 3 days before scrolling through the audio modes.

Once again, I contacted Onkyo and am waiting to see what now.

Unfortunately, also after this "repair" there seems to be an addition video/ color issue that I had never seen before. There are some occasional green highlights, and for a while the volume bar (and then later the random scrolling through audio modes) was happening in a bright pink rather than black bar. I have let Onkyo know about all of these issues. I don't know how much this is worth continuing to try to fix. Unfortunately, I don't have extra money to buy a new receiver right now. :-/

If any of you have thoughts, it would be appreciated!!
post #1851 of 1851 Old 02-01-2015, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaw View Post
My Onkyo began the random scrolling through audio modes a couple months ago, after having the unit since 2/2011. I contacted Onkyo, and they provided shipping material for me to send the unit to them for repairs.

When the unit returned from Onkyo repair, within 2 days the audio modes started scrolling through again. I called Onkyo, and they had me send the unit to a place called Bigston. I made it clear to them (and left a note in the box) that the unit has the issue not immediately after it is plugged back in, but after a couple days.

I just received the unit back from my second "repair". This time, my unit lasted 3 days before scrolling through the audio modes.

Once again, I contacted Onkyo and am waiting to see what now.

Unfortunately, also after this "repair" there seems to be an addition video/ color issue that I had never seen before. There are some occasional green highlights, and for a while the volume bar (and then later the random scrolling through audio modes) was happening in a bright pink rather than black bar. I have let Onkyo know about all of these issues. I don't know how much this is worth continuing to try to fix. Unfortunately, I don't have extra money to buy a new receiver right now. :-/

If any of you have thoughts, it would be appreciated!!
Turn the video processions off - I believe your press cab/sat plus enter at the same time ( on the receiver) until it says "skip". This may not be it - haven't had this unit for over a year. It's mentioned somewhere within this thread - search "video skip" - or I believe it's on page 21 of the manual. You will lose the HUD onscreen, but this unit has bad video processing anyway and your picture will benefit.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread - Nr808 by PriceGrabber.com