post #181 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

I spoke with Onkyo's support team today and they confirmed the fans will only engage in extreme heat. So, as it seems my issue was blown our of proportion because I thought they were for general cooling. My unit is not getting nearly as hot as my 804 did, and I had an external fan hooked up to it. I sold it with my old unit, so I will purchase a new thermal controlled fan for precaution. Although, the unit isn't getting alarmingly hot. I appreciate everyone's help.

Good to hear. Glad they aren't for general cooling - it'd fill up with dust easier. Not good. You must run your unit all day long - or something else, because running mine for even 5 hours yields nearly no heat above the heat sink. I can't imagine it'd change any time soon.

---------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post

I don't think it's an issue. It all depends on your choice of speakers that counts most imo. This thing is pushing my reference Klipsch (125w) very well (bi-amp'd)! My surrounds are designed for foreground music (I think) and the 808 brings them to life. The highs in my JBL's are brighter now and the bass being produced perfect! These are only rated at 60w! haha

The things to consider is your combination. Speakers that match up well with the receiver's ability.

I too listen at 50 - 60 % volume, but that's PERFECT for my available [area]. I think the receiver springs to life at that volume level, WITHOUT being overpowering. If at that level > I'm utilizing 80 > 100 w, that's good enough for what I need/have.

A

I agree, this isn't a problem but a matter of preference. However, if you feel that you have to push the volume higher than normal, check your level settings for your speakers. After running Audyssey, my levels were all set at -8 and -9, which caused me to have to amp up the volume. I simply adjusted the volumes back around 0 and used a sound meter to check my settings. Hope that helps.

fdsfds
post #183 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 06:09 AM

I have a weird small issue..I set up "my tv" on the remote. My Samsung TV turns on correctly..The cable box turns on...The 808 turns on to TV instead of Cable/Sat which I have it set up for. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. Anyone have any ideas?
post #184 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless1 View Post

I have a weird small issue..I set up "my tv" on the remote. My Samsung TV turns on correctly..The cable box turns on...The 808 turns on to TV instead of Cable/Sat which I have it set up for. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi Nameless1, your Samsung Tv HDMI-CEC feature is turned On. Try turning this feature Off, Samsung calls it AnyNet+.
post #185 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 07:20 AM

Thank you !..Too many damn settings to figure out at once..haha
post #186 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 AM

I'm wondering why more people aren't talking about one of the most important features of these new amps...new channels. PlIIz adds a height channel and Audyssey DSX adds a height and width channel. Playing with these new surround technologies is a blast and will add some joy to your life.

Anyone have strong opinions about plIIz versus the competing Audyssey DSX?
post #187 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Gam, not sure if this helps but try to by-pass video upconversion in the AV receiver by simultaneously press the VCR/DVR and RETURN on the receiver (see page 22 in OM).

Hi JChin!
Guess what! When I disable video processing as you recommend, the transmission problems disappear on HDMI Main output, WTF!?!

On top of that, I get pops in the speakers when I turn the receiver on and twice since I bought the Onkyo last week, I came home with the electricity off!

Not so happy to have switched from Yamaha to Onkyo. The Yam's ergonomic was much better...

Gam.

PS: wrote to Onkyo last week, still no answer.
post #188 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 10:12 AM

Liked: 11
I have the 808 coming this week and find that my room is wired with a single coax for the subwoofer. The sub I will use is an older HSU VTF that has L and R inputs but only one was used in the last 7.1 install.

My question is about the payoff in running another line to drive the sub... since the 808 is a 7.2 unit does it require two sub outputs to perform properly? Is there an option to combine all sub output to one? ...and what is the impact?
post #189 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamov View Post

Hi JChin!
Guess what! When I disable video processing as you recommend, the transmission problems disappear on HDMI Main output, WTF!?!

On top of that, I get pops in the speakers when I turn the receiver on and twice since I bought the Onkyo last week, I came home with the electricity off!

Not so happy to have switched from Yamaha to Onkyo. The Yam's ergonomic was much better...

Gam.

PS: wrote to Onkyo last week, still no answer.

I suggest you check your connections, you may have a short somewhere or a bad unit. The popping and power outages are obviously not a normal design criteria of Onkyo. Call the manufacture and/or your retailer and get a new unit assuming you don't have a short in your system setup.
post #190 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post

I have the 808 coming this week and find that my room is wired with a single coax for the subwoofer. The sub I will use is an older HSU VTF that has L and R inputs but only one was used in the last 7.1 install.

My question is about the payoff in running another line to drive the sub... since the 808 is a 7.2 unit does it require two sub outputs to perform properly? Is there an option to combine all sub output to one? ...and what is the impact?

I think I can answer my own question after finding a manual online (European version) with the folllowing quote:

"You can connect the powered subwoofer with two
SUBWOOFER PRE OUT jacks respectively.
The same signal is output from each jack."

Assuming the US version is the same I should be OK with one line to one jack on the sub.

Concur?
post #191 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 01:36 PM

Has anyone done any comparisons of the Onkyo 808 to the Denon 3311 or the Pioneer VSX-33? I have 8 more days to decide if I want to keep mine or return it for another receiver. So far it seems to be working fine after the firmware update.

I was hoping that my wife could use the cable box remote to control everything, however there are several issues. Unfortunately Onkyo uses two buttons on the remote to turn the unit on and off, rather than one button like most receivers. Therefore it is possible to turn the receiver on from the Cable Box Remote but it's not possible to turn the receiver off. There is no button on the Cable Box Remote that will perform the Off function for the receiver. Yuk.

Also, When using the HDMI Power Control function, whenever the TV is turned off, the receiver is also powered-down. This is good, however the receiver also powers down even if the input selector is set so another source like CD. I would like to be able to select CD input, then turn the TV off without the receiver also turning off. Onkyo says this is normal operation and that when the TV is powered off, the receiver will power off regardless of which input is selected on the receiver. What does everyone think about this? Is it s bug?
post #192 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

I agree, this isn't a problem but a matter of preference. However, if you feel that you have to push the volume higher than normal, check your level settings for your speakers. After running Audyssey, my levels were all set at -8 and -9, which caused me to have to amp up the volume. I simply adjusted the volumes back around 0 and used a sound meter to check my settings. Hope that helps.

I'm not versed (listening to 1.fm High Voltage out of CA, nice sound), but wouldn't that negate the changes Audessy made or makes? Throwing the balance off? e.g. equilibrium/ balance: equality of distribution

post #193 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

What I remember doing to increase my volume's punch was to enable (turn on) the Dynamic EQ and changing the Dynamic Volume to Light for each source ("active"). I think they were turned off initially (default).

Doing so opened up my speakers alot.
Bi-amping the two front also helped alot.

My config may be different than most, but it might help.

While source is "active", select:
1) Home button on remote
2) Audio / Dybamic EQ On
3) Dynamic Volume: Light (sounded best for me)

Repeat for other sources/

post #194 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

since the 808 is a 7.2 unit does it require two sub outputs to perform properly?

7.1 = 1 sub woofer
7.2 = 1 sub woofer + 1 sub woofer (optional)

post #195 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoney326 View Post

I'm wondering why more people aren't talking about one of the most important features of these new amps...new channels. PlIIz adds a height channel and Audyssey DSX adds a height and width channel. Playing with these new surround technologies is a blast and will add some joy to your life.

Just what I need, more speakers!

post #196 of 1829 Old 08-18-2010, 11:23 PM

I was going to buy the Onkyo TXNR807 open box from from Fry's for $660

Then,after C.city told me they wouldn't have the 807 I originally bought from them any longer, said me they'd give me the new TXNR808 for the same price as the 807($689)/ Should I get it from the C. City on line store or stick with the 807 from a local store I can return it to should I have any problems?

Is the TXNR808 that much of an improvement over the 807 ( costing me only $30 more) and brand new instead of a open box?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!!

Life, Sometimes you wake up in the middle of it !
post #197 of 1829 Old 08-19-2010, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

I'm not versed (listening to 1.fm High Voltage out of CA, nice sound), but wouldn't that negate the changes Audessy made or makes? Throwing the balance off? e.g. equilibrium/ balance: equality of distribution

No, because all you are doing is pumping the levels up. Your equalizer settings and speaker distances will remain untouched and still have the same setting provided by Audyssey. As long as you check your settings with a sound level, you will be doing the exact same thing Audyssey did, just pumping them up to a higher level.

fdsfds
post #198 of 1829 Old 08-20-2010, 08:42 AM

I am trying to find a way to get my sub woofer to play/engage while playing sources that are not Dolby or DTS on my new 808. If I select any source other than BluRay or Cable (which both play in 5.1) the only speakers I can get to work are FL & FR.

I have tried playing with all the listening modes and messing around with the setup but no matter what I try nothing but FL & FR. There has got to be a way to get my sub woofer (or my surrounds for that matter) to play on other sources.

So far the sources that will NOT utilize the sub woofer and surround are:

Tuner (FM)
Network
Internet Radio & Pandora

Can anyone provide some suggestions on what I might have done wrong in the setup to prevent my sub woofer from being used while selecting these sources?

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #199 of 1829 Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeske01 View Post

I am trying to find a way to get my sub woofer to play/engage while playing sources that are not Dolby or DTS on my new 808.

I don't have mine up and running yet but a quick glance at the manual suggests you are not using Dolby PLIIx which should expand any source to 7.1.
post #200 of 1829 Old 08-20-2010, 10:03 AM

That is what I thought as well. The problem is that when I try using the listening mode buttons to engage PLIIx (or any other mode) the message "unavailable" flashes on the display. So far I can find no way to utilize the listening modes while using the sources I mentioned.

Thanks for the quick response and help!

Quote:

I don't have mine up and running yet but a quick glance at the manual suggests you are not using Dolby PLIIx which should expand any source to 7.1.

post #201 of 1829 Old 08-20-2010, 12:48 PM

Listening modes work on:

Bluray
Cable/Sat
Tuner

Listening modes do not work (and therefore nothing but FL and FR speakers on:

CD
Net/USB

I hit setup on the remote with both NET/USB and CD selected. Speaker setup was grayed out. Other settings look normal. I looked at the input section but didn't really see anything there that looked like it would help.

Can you be more specific or is there any additional information I can provide?

PS Seems kind of strange that the listening modes wouldn't work on the CD player...

Thanks for your help.

Quote:

While one of the sources is selected, hit setup on the remote. Check the Input section. What is selected for the source(s)?

post #202 of 1829 Old 08-20-2010, 01:14 PM

The manual says there are a number of caveats about selecting listening modes... DVD connection must be digital, depends upon input signal, NA with headphones, TV speakers on.

I have just fired mine up and don't have a monitor yet so I have little actual experience.
post #203 of 1829 Old 08-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Does this mean that it's not possible to use the subwoofer when listening to the CD Input? I can't believe that is true. That just doesn't make sense. I need for the subwoofer to function no matter what input source I have selected. I just ordered a sub and it should arrive tomorrow. It is not acceptable if the sub doesn't work for all input sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeske01 View Post

Listening modes work on:

Bluray
Cable/Sat
Tuner

Listening modes do not work (and therefore nothing but FL and FR speakers on:

CD
Net/USB

I hit setup on the remote with both NET/USB and CD selected. Speaker setup was grayed out. Other settings look normal. I looked at the input section but didn't really see anything there that looked like it would help.

Can you be more specific or is there any additional information I can provide?

PS Seems kind of strange that the listening modes wouldn't work on the CD player...

Thanks for your help.

post #204 of 1829 Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 PM

Liked: 15
After much deliberation over AVRs I picked an 808 to replace an aging Sony STR-SE501. We've been missing out on using the receiver for video and a lack of DTS-HD decoding. The 808 should have plenty of power to power my Boston Acoustics VR setup (old school!).

Thanks to this thread for highlighting the greatness of a receiver!
post #205 of 1829 Old 08-22-2010, 07:18 AM

I received my sub yesterday and I don't have any problems with it. It seems to work from all input sources and in all listening modes including STEREO and ALL SPEAKER STEREO. It also works in all 5.1 and 2.1 listening modes.
post #206 of 1829 Old 08-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

For vTuner, when powering the unit on - sometimes when I select Net/USB, it remembers that I was connected to vTuner last time, connects to the last station I was listening too, but it then other times sometimes says "no server" or sometimes says "cannot play". Forces me to go into the menu and reselect the channel manually.

post #207 of 1829 Old 08-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

vTuner Settings

Okay, so I broke down and actually read the manual for creating presets and favorites. lol
Using a computer/web browser, I have to access the AVR's IP address.

1) Sign onto Onkyo's vTuner portal (http://onkyo.vtuner.com/)
2) Use my AVR's MAC address to create an account
3) Use AVR's IP address (which change via DHCP everytime AVR is powered on) to access the vTuner GUI.

There I can add my Favorites etc...
Sort of defeats the purpose of having it incorporated into the AVR, but eh, whatever.

post #208 of 1829 Old 08-22-2010, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Was really hoping this unit would do both Slacker radio and Last.fm. Been doing some research and from what I gather Last.fm is for European models only. Thank goodness as Slacker has really impressed me over the last few months.
post #209 of 1829 Old 08-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

Was really hoping this unit would do both Slacker radio and Last.fm. Been doing some research and from what I gather Last.fm is for European models only. Thank goodness as Slacker has really impressed me over the last few months.

Yep. Looks like the European version has Last.FM and not the NA version.
Though the NA version has Pandora, Rhapsody and Sirius - the European version does not have them.

post #210 of 1829 Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 PM

Are you 808 guys suffering from the same network issues the 708 people are dealing with?

- Barry
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page