Need help buying a digital receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 07-11-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im going to college and my parents have allowed me to buy a receiver for my dorm so id like to get ur guys opinions on what to buy. It will only be powering 2 medium sized bose speakers and a sub while I'm at college but I will get around to using it for more. Being that its a college dorm room I need a small one so id like it to be digital because they are so much smaller. I will be plugging it into my tv via fiber optic out and from my computer via hdmi (it should be noted my computer has a blu ray drive). My budget is $200 max. A lot of digital receivers I've seen only come in home theater packages, I don't necessarly need the speakers but ill buy the whole set if I have to. I've seen some rca ones at walmart that look fine but if you guys have any good ones you know please tell me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-11-2010, 11:16 AM
bfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron52101 View Post

Im going to college and my parents have allowed me to buy a receiver for my dorm so id like to get ur guys opinions on what to buy. It will only be powering 2 medium sized bose speakers and a sub while I'm at college but I will get around to using it for more. Being that its a college dorm room I need a small one so id like it to be digital because they are so much smaller. I will be plugging it into my tv via fiber optic out and from my computer via hdmi (it should be noted my computer has a blu ray drive). My budget is $200 max. A lot of digital receivers I've seen only come in home theater packages, I don't necessarly need the speakers but ill buy the whole set if I have to. I've seen some rca ones at walmart that look fine but if you guys have any good ones you know please tell me.

If the bose are anything but the old 301s or 501s, just go to Craigslist, buy a cheapo receiver and enjoy! This way, when you spill beer into the top of it, you won't care! Plus, remember, girls (I would get in trouble for saying this except only guys are on this forum) don't really care about music fidelity. This is a broad generalization, and you'll run into this a lot in college and even more later in life...Girls ears for the most part, work differently than guys. They are more sensitive to high frequencies. So that loud **** bugs them. Plus, they will prefer if you pay more attention to them than the cranked ac/dc. What!
Seriously man anything will work. You'll probably blow it up during a kegger anyway. If you don't your Dad will be disappointed.
post #3 of 30 Old 07-11-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Might I add that I want serious answers only, if u don't know anything don't post.
post #4 of 30 Old 07-11-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Yamaha Neo is a smaller form factor device. Not sure whether it's class D or not. Also not sure it's in your budget.

Maybe some HTIB systems use class D amps.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #5 of 30 Old 07-11-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Neo is nice but at its cheapest $100 out of my price range
post #6 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else out there who could help me out?
post #7 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
You're best best is probably checking the used market, Ebay, Craigslist, etc. If you're lucky enough to find one in good condition the Panasonic XR-55 or 57 were widely considered to be excellent performers and a steal when they were in production.

JVC also produced some good digital receivers in the past, after a quick search I found a RXD301S currently on Ebay. Any of those should be well within your price range on the used market.
post #8 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

I see the JVC your talking about, at first glance it looked ok, but I realized that it is incredibly old, and doesn't even have HDMI support.

Those Panasonics are fairly old too and are missing some features current amps commonly have.

Here is a newer JVC I found

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RT2910-100...d=DMH6Z4R6LSHM

It seems fairly nice. Would anyone else disagree or recommend something else?
post #9 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Here is a newer JVC I found

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RT2910-100...d=DMH6Z4R6LSHM

It seems fairly nice. Would anyone else disagree or recommend something else?

Actually, it is an RCA. And it appears to be some sort of RCA licensed (but not manufactured) product.

Most notably, it decodes none of the lossless codecs; of the lossy codecs, it decodes Dolby Digital but not DTS. So, on those BDs that have DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS tracks, this system may be incapable of digital audio.

AJ
post #10 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 AM

Liked: 12
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR308...956905&sr=1-15

This is about the only thing in the world(new) that will give you what you need and allow for future expansion. It's slightly above your price limit, but worth it,IMHO.
post #11 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see the JVC your talking about, at first glance it looked ok, but I realized that it is incredibly old, and doesn't even have HDMI support.

Those Panasonics are fairly old too and are missing some features current amps commonly have.

If you want to get everything your looking for with HDMI and HD Audio and stay in the extreme smallish digitial form factor you're probably going to have to up the budget.

If you can go slightly larger Onkyo and Denon have receivers that fit your criteria. I've got the Denon 1610 which is very small and light weight for an analog receiver and features HD Decoding and MultEQ, with some searching you shouldn't be much over budget or possibly within going that route or with the Onkyo 507 or 308, especially if you don't mind going refurbished or used.
post #12 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

If you want to get everything your looking for with HDMI and HD Audio and stay in the extreme smallish digitial form factor your looking for you're probably going to have to up the budget.

If you can go slightly larger Onkyo and Denon have receivers that fit your criteria. I've got the Denon 1610 which is very small and light weight for an analog receiver and features HD Decoding and MultEQ, with some searching you shouldn't be much over budget or possibly within going that route or with the Onkyo 507 or 308, especially if you don't mind going refurbished or used.

+1. You have a budget of $200 for a digital receiver and want HDMI? Used only, and even then only if you get lucky...
Best,
Chris

denon 1610 is over TWICE his budget...
post #13 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

+1. You have a budget of $200 for a digital receiver and want HDMI? Used only, and even then only if you get lucky...
Best,
Chris

denon 1610 is over TWICE his budget...

His budget is $200, the 1610s MSRP is $375, that's not over twice and it never went for MSRP anyway. I didn't say it would be easy. I just did a history search on Ebay 3 have sold for < $200 since June 28 so it can be done. A refurb 507 is also going within his budget at accesorries4less.
post #14 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Im sorry I meant RCA not JVC, brainfart.

HD surround sound decoding is NOT necessary. It's a nice feature, but I don't require it cause I don't find it makes a huge difference for movies other than concerts.

And I'm gonna have to disagree with CCONKLIN1, I have found a handful of NEW receivers that are digital, suppport HDMI and are under $200. Digital receivers are generally cheaper than AB type anyway.

And I am very adamant that I want a digital one. I like the technology and portability is a big deal for me.
post #15 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Is your sub powered? Most standalone receivers, especially in the price range you're looking at, will expect a powered sub and provide only a sub pre-out.

Finally, I'd like to add that your neighbors (on the sides and above/below) will hate you unless they don't like sleeping.

Honestly, just get a nicer 2.1 set for the computer and run everything through those. Whatever you buy WILL get some sort of liquid spilled on it. Plan on replacing it after school.
post #16 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Liked: 12
It's a nice feature, but I don't require it cause I don't find it makes a huge difference for movies other than concerts.

If this is truly the way you feel, then you're advertising your ignorance/inexperience. You need to spend some time with a properly set up surround system to educate your ears, if not, then buy that pos $163 RCA system.
post #17 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HD surround sound decoding is NOT necessary. It's a nice feature, but I don't require it cause I don't find it makes a huge difference for movies other than concerts.

You misunderstand the ramifications. Unless your computer w/ BD drive can internally decode DTS, then you will get *no audio* from this RCA system on BDs w/ DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS tracks.

AJ
post #18 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by putox1051 View Post

It's a nice feature, but I don't require it cause I don't find it makes a huge difference for movies other than concerts.

If this is truly the way you feel, then you're advertising your ignorance/inexperience. You need to spend some time with a properly set up surround system to educate your ears, if not, then buy that pos $163 RCA system.

I have a 5.1 setup in my parents house that I personally bought all the componets for and it has lossless. I've read plenty of reviews and blogs of people saying lossless audio for strictly movie wataching is an overated feature and I at least slightly agree. Its a movie, composed of dialogue and sound effects, why on earth does that need to be lossless audio? I can understand concerts but I can live without watching the occasional lossless concert. Most people can't even tell the difference between mp3 and lossless formats on music, movies are even less demanding.

And to spivonius, Yes I have a powered sub. And don't worry I realize when is a good and not a good time to play music. And Im not worried about liquid in a TV cabinet, Id have to try to get liquid on it in there.
post #19 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

You misunderstand the ramifications. Unless your computer w/ BD drive can internally decode DTS, then you will get *no audio* from this RCA system on BDs w/ DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS tracks.

AJ

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if my computer can. But if it really can't decode DTS I think its off the list.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Im sorry I meant RCA not JVC, brainfart.

And I'm gonna have to disagree with CCONKLIN1, I have found a handful of NEW receivers that are digital, suppport HDMI and are under $200. Digital receivers are generally cheaper than AB type anyway.

And I am very adamant that I want a digital one. I like the technology and portability is a big deal for me.

Let me get this straight... In your first post you ask for help in finding a digital receiver and want HDMI....then I say it is not going to happen at that price point.

You then post "I have found a handful of NEW receivers that are digital, suppport HDMI and are under $200. Digital receivers are generally cheaper than AB type anyway.

And I am very adamant that I want a digital one. I like the technology and portability is a big deal for me. "

So WTH? If you found so many why are you asking for help? Also, I would really like an example of a digital $200 receiver with HDMI that will work with your Bose!

Also, my bad on the Denon. I was thinking 1910 not 1610...
post #21 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Let me get this straight... In your first post you ask for help in finding a digital receiver and want HDMI....then I say it is not going to happen at that price point.

You then post "I have found a handful of NEW receivers that are digital, suppport HDMI and are under $200. Digital receivers are generally cheaper than AB type anyway.

And I am very adamant that I want a digital one. I like the technology and portability is a big deal for me. "

So WTH? If you found so many why are you asking for help? Also, I would really like an example of a digital $200 receiver with HDMI that will work with your Bose!

Also, my bad on the Denon. I was thinking 1910 not 1610...

Well I said I've found a handful, not "many". And I'm not asking for a list of all of them, I'm asking for which one would be the best, so obviously that's why I'm asking. I'd expect on a board like this I can find someone who knows a little more than I do.

Well first you can look at the link of that RCA I found. Sony makes a few in their HTIB packages you can look at on their website.
post #22 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And to spivonius, Yes I have a powered sub. And don't worry I realize when is a good and not a good time to play music. And Im not worried about liquid in a TV cabinet, Id have to try to get liquid on it in there.

Man, you must have nice dorms. There's no way I could fit a TV cabinet in mine. Two beds, two desks, a small refrigerator, and an old 19" TV and my room was getting pretty cramped.

Anyway, I still stand by my recommendation of a nice 2.1 set for the computer. Some have a second digital input that you could run the TV through. Save the home theater setup for when you have the space and money to do it right.
post #23 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Well I said I've found a handful, not "many". And I'm not asking for a list of all of them, I'm asking for which one would be the best, so obviously that's why I'm asking. I'd expect on a board like this I can find someone who knows a little more than I do.

Well first you can look at the link of that RCA I found. Sony makes a few in their HTIB packages you can look at on their website.

So, you do not want a "receiver" per se. You are looking at using a piece from a HTIB system. Also, if you found a few you like, you would get a much better response by posting those so people can give you their opinion and not guess at what you have found. I will go on record that most of those HTIB receivers you are looking at using will suck big time with your Bose as the speakers they are built to drive have been specifically designed to work with the amplifier in the main unit. As always, there are exceptions, but the majority will suck,especially at your price point
post #24 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Man, you must have nice dorms. There's no way I could fit a TV cabinet in mine. Two beds, two desks, a small refrigerator, and an old 19" TV and my room was getting pretty cramped.

Anyway, I still stand by my recommendation of a nice 2.1 set for the computer. Some have a second digital input that you could run the TV through. Save the home theater setup for when you have the space and money to do it right.

Ya were lofting out beds so we have lots of room under each one which works great for the 32" tv we split on.

The thing is most 2.1 sets are equiped to run actual speakers you bave to buy like specially designed computer speakers. Plus in a few years I'll have an apartment so buy then I'd have to buy a new setup.

But thanks for your input.
post #25 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So, you do not want a "receiver" per se. You are looking at using a piece from a HTIB system. Also, if you found a few you like, you would get a much better response by posting those so people can give you their opinion and not guess at what you have found. I will go on record that most of those HTIB receivers you are looking at using will suck big time with your Bose as the speakers they are built to drive have been specifically designed to work with the amplifier in the main unit. As always, there are exceptions, but the majority will suck,especially at your price point

Well as I stated in my first post, HTIB sets often come with digital receivers so I would get one and could sell the speakers as most suck. Sorry if I am being inconvenient in my question and the way I am asking it, I apologize.

So here is a sony system. I found just the receiver on ebay for $140:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666077692

At $140 it's cheap enough, but would anyone find any major problems that might arise at that price by looking at the specs on the site?
post #26 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Well as I stated in my first post, HTIB sets often come with digital receivers so I would get one and could sell the speakers as most suck. Sorry if I am being inconvenient in my question and the way I am asking it, I apologize.

At $140 it's cheap enough, but would anyone find any major problems that might arise at that price by looking at the specs on the site?

Too funny! I just bought that exact same system and a 1000es blu ray for the bedroom. It will suck with your Bose speakers at anything other than really low volume if it will even drive them. Here's why:

* Audio Power Output : 1000W (165X5 +175, 3ohm, 1kHz, 10%THD)
* Impedance : 3 ohms

Further, even if it did drive them you will also have to go and find those stupid ass speaker plugs at Radio shack as they use a non standard connector on the back of the receiver, unless the one you are buying comes with the speaker cables.

The aforementioned JVC, even though it is old, would sound MUCH better.
Best,
Chris
post #27 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Too funny! I just bought that exact same system and a 1000es blu ray for the bedroom. It will suck with your Bose speakers at anything other than really low volume if it will even drive them. Here's why:

* Audio Power Output : 1000W (165X5 +175, 3ohm, 1kHz, 10%THD)
* Impedance : 3 ohms

Further, even if it did drive them you will also have to go and find those stupid ass speaker plugs at Radio shack as they use a non standard connector on the back of the receiver, unless the one you are buying comes with the speaker cables.

The aforementioned JVC, even though it is old, would sound MUCH better.
Best,
Chris

Alright this is why i ask you guys. So what exactly is it about those specs that make it a bad mix?
post #28 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:

Alright this is why i ask you guys. So what exactly is it about those specs that make it a bad mix?

Because 99% of the HTIB receivers are designed to drive cheaper low impedance speakers. Also the 10% THD figure is a HUGE amount. Your bose speakers are probably 8 ohms which means they will be starved for power trying to drive them off of this thing. I would also bet you could fry a tweeter if you tried playing it too loud due to the distortion figures...
Best,
Chris
post #29 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is your existing subwoofer self powered? That Sony HTiB does not readily allow for any other self powered subwoofer, as it lacks line level sub out. Instead, the sub amp is built into the receiver unit, and the sub out is speaker level. Such is fairly common among HTiBs.

As CCONKLIN1 aptly puts it, other speakers tend to "suck" w/ a(n) HTiB.

AJ
post #30 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Because 99% of the HTIB receivers are designed to drive cheaper low impedance speakers. Also the 10% THD figure is a HUGE amount. Your bose speakers are probably 8 ohms which means they will be starved for power trying to drive them off of this thing. I would also bet you could fry a tweeter if you tried playing it too loud due to the distortion figures...
Best,
Chris

Well they are rated 4 to 8. So alright I guess that means I need to keep looking.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page