Do receivers need left/right "breathing" room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Short and sweet: The Onkyo RC260 receiver I'm looking at getting is 17 1/8" wide. The table I'm looking at for my center speaker, receiver, Xbox, TV, etc, is this one. The two cubbies in the middle are 17 5/8" wide (I'm viewing the line-art).

The shelves are adjustable, so I know I have enough height, and depth is fine. What I'm wondering, as a complete noob in audio, will the 17 1/8" receiver be alright in a 17 5/8" size space? Is it like a computer, it will overheat in a very small cubby space? Is 1/4" on each side enough, or should I look at a different table?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I admit that I have always put receivers into a cabinet with almost no room on the sides. I don't think my receivers have side vents though. I think it's important to have enough room on the top for adequate ventilation. And I think you need room to vent behind, so I don't use cabinets with closed backs.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

The back has a back panel, but pretty big holes for all the cables... Is that alright? I can move the shelves down to give it tons of top-room. How much is suggested? 2 inches? 3? 4? Curious now.

Thanks.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 10:51 AM

Would losing the back of the stand hurt rigidity? If not, I would get rid of the back and get a fan to move the hot air. If the back cannot be removed, I would think twice about the stand as Onkyo's are known to get very hot. I briefly had an Onkyo. It had vents on the sides, towards the back. I would feel more comfortable with more space to the sides if the receiver you're considering has the same side vents.

Regards,
Brian
post #5 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 10:53 AM

About 8 inches on top of the unit is what Onkyo recommends. Actually, they recommend plenty of space all around the unit, but stress the space above.

Regards,
Brian
post #6 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antibayi View Post

Would losing the back of the stand hurt rigidity? If not, I would get rid of the back and get a fan to move the hot air. If the back cannot be removed, I would think twice about the stand as Onkyo's are known to get very hot. I briefly had an Onkyo. It had vents on the sides, towards the back. I would feel more comfortable with more space to the sides if the receiver you're considering has the same side vents.

It could. I had one set of shelves I never put the back in place on, because I like shelves without backs, and it was not stable.

My AV rack seems to have held up to years of hacking pieces of the back though (there's almost nothing left of the original hard cardboard back). I was thinking of adding some bracing using cheap moulding.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #7 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I can see it now, someday the OP will be posting in an "Onkyos run hot" thread.

Bottom line: If you have to ask that means you have reservations and probably shouldn't do it. Error on the side of caution.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, perhaps I'll look into different different stands... I really liked this one though. >_< Bah.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page