Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpez179 View Post

Originally Posted by jpez179
Hello everyone...I'm sorry to hear everyone's issues with the networking ( luckly using a bridge I haven't had the issue knock on wood).. My Issue is my sound and picture are not in sync when watching cable TV. I have the Lip sync inabled and still have that issue bad!!! sometimes. I have 55" LED samsung 8000 series 2009 model and it is connected via HDMI to a Motraolla Cox cable box.
I help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks for the future help!

Jeff.

Bump.. Sorry any help??

Junk the cable crap (which is what, reprocessed x5? 720p) and get a BUD. The cleanest signal available.

---------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1632 Old 09-23-2010, 06:12 PM

Posted this in the 808 thread, but thought someone here might be able to answer as well.

Even though I am connected to the net, my 808 is unable to connect to the remote code database.

Anyone else with this issue? Could someone else try and see if they are able to connect? It is under setup and remote control setup I believe. Enter your TV manufacturer and see if you can then pull the code by the model number.

Appreciate it!
post #363 of 1632 Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 PM

Hi,

I have a question regarding the TX-NR708. I skimmed through this thread and couldn't quite find an answer to this.

Can I stream video from a network video server through this receiver?

What I mean is this: I have a network server with video files and also running playon video server. Can I stream the video content from the network server to this receiver so that the video can be displayed to a TV connected to this receiver?

This is probably a newbie question, but I couldn't quite find an answer while searching.

Any info on this is certainly appreciated.

-G
post #364 of 1632 Old 09-24-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetaFix View Post

Hi,

I have a question regarding the TX-NR708. I skimmed through this thread and couldn't quite find an answer to this.

Can I stream video from a network video server through this receiver?

What I mean is this: I have a network server with video files and also running playon video server. Can I stream the video content from the network server to this receiver so that the video can be displayed to a TV connected to this receiver?

This is probably a newbie question, but I couldn't quite find an answer while searching.

Any info on this is certainly appreciated.

-G

No. Only audio supported.
post #365 of 1632 Old 09-24-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post

Junk the cable crap (which is what, reprocessed x5? 720p) and get a BUD. The cleanest signal available.

Thanks for the reply.. Sorry for my ignorance what is a BUD
post #366 of 1632 Old 09-24-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi74 View Post

No. Only audio supported.

Thank you for your reply Govi. No wonder, I couldn't find any information about video streaming.

-G
post #367 of 1632 Old 09-24-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:

Big Useful Dish as opposed to LSD, Little Silly Dish. BUD's are usually 10 feet in diameter.
post #368 of 1632 Old 09-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The other term is Big Ugly Dish (I like CarrollRobbins's acronym better) . You get the BEST, CLEANEST signal from a BUD (known as C-BAND). NOTHING can compare because you are getting a close to raw feed as apposed to a DISH network or especially cable. The later two are so watered down it isn't funny. LSD signals are over compressed and crap.

Depending on your location, you can get away with a smaller sized BUD. Of course you need to buy the hardware for it to work - you can receive HD signal too - but regular DIGITAL signals are damn near HD quality on a BUD. I have a 4DTV which I might try and hook back up. The industry has pushed them out for the most part, but they are still there. There are other brands available too. The price for hardware might be a little high for some, but the overall cost, signal quality and subscription you receive from a BUD is unbeatable.

http://skyvision.com/store/Receivers.html

post #369 of 1632 Old 09-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Read more about 1st Generation feeds - the better source

http://www.satellitetheater.com/C-Band%20World.htm

post #370 of 1632 Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 PM

I just set up my 708 and already have a point of frustration. I cannot get the receiver to recognize HD audio formats from a PS3. DTS-HD and DTS-MA show up as DTS and Dolby TrueHD shows up as Dolby Digital 5.1. I checked the Onkyo site and the top FAQ was on that subject (not specific to the PS3 though) and the suggested solution was to set the HDMI audio output from the source to Bitstream. I checked and that's what the PS3 was set to already. The other suggestion was to go to hardware setup on the receiver and set the HDMI audio out to off and I did that too. I also tried setting the PS3 HDMI audio out to PCM and the receiver sees those as Multichannel 5.1, etc.

I am stumped. Has anyone successfully set up the PS3 / 708 to work with the HD audio formats? If so, will you please tell me which settings you used on both ends? Thanks.

BTW, the PS3 firmware is 3.42.
post #371 of 1632 Old 09-29-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you have the older 'fat' ps3 (which Im assuming you do) set output to PCM. Your ps3 is decoding DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD and sending the signal to your receiver (thats why your receiver displays Multichannel 5.1). If you had a ps3 'slim' you have the option of your receiver doing the decoding by selecting 'bitstream' or the ps3 decoding by selecting 'PCM'.
post #372 of 1632 Old 09-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't looked into it too much, but I think I have the exact same situation (except I have an 808). I'm using OPT for sound. I'll have to go out and get a BD and test for sure. Not sure my PS3 (slim) is set to bitstream or not, but it only shows DTS on the display of the reciever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvali View Post

I just set up my 708 and already have a point of frustration. I cannot get the receiver to recognize HD audio formats from a PS3. DTS-HD and DTS-MA show up as DTS and Dolby TrueHD shows up as Dolby Digital 5.1. I checked the Onkyo site and the top FAQ was on that subject (not specific to the PS3 though) and the suggested solution was to set the HDMI audio output from the source to Bitstream. I checked and that's what the PS3 was set to already. The other suggestion was to go to hardware setup on the receiver and set the HDMI audio out to off and I did that too. I also tried setting the PS3 HDMI audio out to PCM and the receiver sees those as Multichannel 5.1, etc.

I am stumped. Has anyone successfully set up the PS3 / 708 to work with the HD audio formats? If so, will you please tell me which settings you used on both ends? Thanks.

post #373 of 1632 Old 09-29-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Fat ps3 does not support HD audio in bitstream. It will do the decoding and you will get it as 7.1 LPCM.

Check this link for more details
http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html#PS3_Audio
post #374 of 1632 Old 09-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

So if I'm reading that website right, here's what is capable?
Since I'm using an OPTICAL out (which is bitstream) for the PS3, I can only get the DTS Digital Surround (last one in list)?
Which is why it only shows DTS on the receiver?
To correct this, I'd have to select HDMI out (which is also bitstream) for the PS3 audio. (I think)

Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Bitstream (HDMI) Yes (Slim only)
LPCM (HDMI) Yes
Bitstream (TOSLINK - Optical) No

dts-HD MA (7.1)
Bitstream (HDMI) Yes (5.1) (Slim only)
LPCM (HDMI) Yes

dts-HD HRA (7.1)
LPCM (HDMI) Yes

dts Digital Surround
LPCM (HDMI) Yes
Bitstream (TOSLINK - Optical) Yes

post #375 of 1632 Old 09-29-2010, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are they still useful? If so, how? I still have my 10 footer, but I trashed the C-receiver as I could not get any subscription.
post #376 of 1632 Old 09-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I just hooked my 4DTV receiver back up the other day. The internal battery is still good (was replaced about 2 yrs ago). So my ID is valid. Did some research these last couple of days and came across some interesting information. Looks as if they are going to change the signals up there - and that my 4DTV unit will not be able to decipher it. But there seems to be good news for me (not sure it applies to anyone else). I'll be able to point my dish at the W5 bird, reset my 4DTV receiver and download a new operating system that will be able to pick up (dechiper) the digital channels on W5 (which has a lot of new digital channels).

This is all slated to take place at the end of this year! So the 4DTV unit will be able to download the DSR410 operating system and will still be able to deciper the signals. I guess that means that if you have a DSR410 receiver (or equivalent?), you should be okay.

Just a side note, unless I'm mistaken - the feeds you get directly from the satellites are 1st gen when using a BUD. Small pizza dishes actually first receive this first gen signal, but then uplink and compress the signal - making it crap. Going straight to the source is where you get the best PQ - and that is only possibly with a BUD.

Official Motorola (who made the 4DTV unit) Notice
http://www.callnps.com/motorola-notification.pdf

Programming availability for W5 satellite
Page 1 http://www.programming-center.net/Page1_PACKAGES.pdf
Page 2 http://www.programming-center.net/Pa...CKAGES%202.pdf
Page 3 http://www.programming-center.net/Page4_ALACARTE.pdf

I don't know how this effects people that do not have the 4DTV unit. Maybe there is no change for owners of other brands. Again, I'm not certain and you should contact a provider to better understand your individual situation. And in order to deciper, your receiver must be capable (digitally).

For sure though, if you wanted to set up your BUD again, you can buy the 410 from Skyvision (who offers it). It seems it only requires you to point your BUD at one bird (W5 sat). http://www.skyvision.com/programming...tml#all_movies You can also still get (free) FTA channels across the spectrum with other types of receivers.

As for pricing - since I've been out of the game for a while, I'm not sure how they compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Are they still useful? If so, how? I still have my 10 footer, but I trashed the C-receiver as I could not get any subscription.

post #377 of 1632 Old 09-29-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the information. I never upgraded to the expensive 4DTV. I got int it way back in 1980 and finally gave up around 1995-8.

<<>>
Quite right you are!
post #378 of 1632 Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

So if I'm reading that website right, here's what is capable?
Since I'm using an OPTICAL out for the PS3, I can only get the DTS Digital Surround (last one in list)?
Which is why it only shows DTS on the receiver?
To correct this, I'd have to select HDMI out / Bitstream for the PS3 audio. (I think)

Dolby TrueHD 5.1
LPCM (HDMI) Yes

dts-HD MA (7.1)
Bitstream (HDMI) Yes (5.1) (Slim only)
LPCM (HDMI) Yes

dts-HD HRA (7.1)
LPCM (HDMI) Yes

dts Digital Surround
LPCM (HDMI) Yes
Bitstream (TOSLINK - Optical) Yes

Correct. PCM if you want the PS3 to decode or BITSTREAM if you want the receiver to decode.
post #379 of 1632 Old 09-30-2010, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Using OPT out (considered bitstream) HAS (decoding) PS3 LIMITATIONS -
sends DTS DIGITAL SURROUND (generic) to the 808 - thus only processes/shows only DTS on the 808 display.

Changing the PS3 audio out as HDMI (also considered bitstream) - the receiver is now processing accurately (DTS-HD MASTER).
===================================================
The "bitstream" (by name) output option for PS3 v3.50, is listed under VIDEO SETTINGS (why) >> "BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI).

Here's what I've understood about Linear PCM (LPCM):

1) LPCM (HDMI OUT) is decoded first by the PS3 and passed (uncompressed) to the receiver. 2) Bitstream (HDMI OUT) is untouched by the PS3 and passed (uncompressed) to the receiver, allowing the reciever to process.

post #380 of 1632 Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 AM

Hi All I've just registered but I've been reading this forum for at least 2 years now, just wanted to thank you all.

I've a question for the TX-NR708 Owners, is it posible to assing the back channels to front height or wide and still have surround back channel through the preamp outs?

I live in argentina, and the prices are much higher here, I'm dubting to buy this one or the integra DTR 40.2 just to have the 9.1 preouts.
I would be paying the same price with both although I would not have warranty with the integra and I would need a 220v to 110v tranformer to use it. The reason for this is that Integra doesn't reach argentina and I would buy it in the US through an importer.

Sorry for my english!!

Regards
post #381 of 1632 Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

After many months of reading an researching MANY different models of receivers I finally pulled the trigger on a ht-rc270. Did basic set-up last night and so far very impressed. Today I'll run Audyssey and try networking for the first time.

nice.. I am about to do the same.. seems like the 270 is a good fit for my needs.. I've been a Yamaha guy for the last 10 years also... but read nothing but good stuff about these new Onkyos.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
post #382 of 1632 Old 10-01-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:

Fat ps3 does not support HD audio in bitstream. It will do the decoding and you will get it as 7.1 LPCM.

Check this link for more details
http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html#PS3_Audio

That was the ticket. I do have a launch week fat PS3 so this applies. Thanks so much!
post #383 of 1632 Old 10-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Since changing audio output from the PS3 (slim) from OPT to HDMI, I've been switching (while watching a BD, press triangle >> AV Settings) between BITSTREAM and Linear PCM (Audio Output Format). I have to say - the Linear PCM is more clear - able to hear sounds (highs) and voices more clearer, the bass is also enhanced.

post #384 of 1632 Old 10-01-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Daniel,
According to the instructions of my AVR, you lose the accessibility to the rear channels. In my case, I prefer to use THX Cinema and it utilizes both the height and rear speakers.

I DO NOT own the 708, mine is last years, the 707.

Sorry for my english!!>>>

No hay que disculparse de su ingles. Bienvenido al AVS Forum!

Hugh
post #385 of 1632 Old 10-01-2010, 01:29 PM

Thanks Hugh! , The manual on the integra 40.2 says the same as the 708. but if it isn't possible, I don't see the point in it having 9.2 preouts. I'm thinking in stepping up to the TX-NR1007, but I'll miss the USB. I don't really care for 3D. I'll have to pay 200U$S more for the 1007.
post #386 of 1632 Old 10-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But from my understanding, Bitstream and LPCM are nearly identical in nature - other than "who" gets to process the data. In my testing recently with PS3 slim - when I select LPCM OUT on the PS3, the 808 says Multich on the display - which is correct, due to the PS3 doing the decoding first. Even though the receiver says Multichannel, it is playing the audio correctly as it was intended to be heard.

So, even though it says Multich - it is correct, and you should be hearing whichever format the BD is in.

post #387 of 1632 Old 10-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also tried setting the PS3 HDMI audio out to PCM and the receiver sees those as Multichannel 5.1, etc.

If I'm understanding correctly - what you say above, the 808 IS CORRECTLY "receiving" the correct sound format from your PS3 - but because the PS3 is doing the decoding itself, your receiver simply says Multich instead, but it is working right, and is outputting the correct format - it just doesn't display it as such.

post #388 of 1632 Old 10-01-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:

But from my understanding, Bitstream and LPCM are nearly identical in nature - other than "who" gets to process the data. In my testing recently with PS3 slim - when I select LPCM OUT on the PS3, the 808 says Multich on the display - which is correct, due to the PS3 doing the decoding first. Even though the receiver says Multichannel, it is playing the audio correctly as it was intended to be heard.

So, even though it says Multich - it is correct, and you should be hearing whichever format the BD is in.

The only difference is which decoder is better. Sony or Onkyo. Since Onkyo is made for audio purpose i believe in Onkyo. I lost my faith with Sony. Yesterday I purchased WD TV Live plus, after the screwed up update from Sony, which messed up the goto function for mkv files thru PS3 media server. PS3 will be a better media player if they could support network shares and play mkv natively.

Sony is jack of all and master of NONE. Sorry thats my personal opinion.
post #389 of 1632 Old 10-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The only difference is which decoder is better. Sony or Onkyo. Since Onkyo is made for audio purpose i believe in Onkyo. I lost my faith with Sony. Yesterday I purchased WD TV Live plus, after the screwed up update from Sony, which messed up the goto function for mkv files thru PS3 media server. PS3 will be a better media player if they could support network shares and play mkv natively.

Sony is jack of all and master of NONE. Sorry thats my personal opinion.

No need to be sorry. I agree with you that Onkyo should be the better compiler, but from what I've heard (and am sorry to even say ), the PS3 renders BD sound more vividly (using LPCM) for my setup. That's not to say that the 808 isn't helping it to sound the way it does, because it does. They are working co-op. The 808 doesn't seem to compile/decode the data as efficiently - thus the difference in sound. Given the PS3 is designed to compile/decode BD video/sound - it seems logical that it is probably the better of the two - in that regard. The 808 helps in defining the sound, just not compiling/decoding it initially (to analog). From what I've heard.

post #390 of 1632 Old 10-02-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No need to be sorry. I agree with you that Onkyo should be the better compiler, but from what I've heard (and am sorry to even say ), the PS3 renders BD sound more vividly (using LPCM) for my setup. That's not to say that the 808 isn't helping it to sound the way it does, because it does. They are working co-op. The 808 doesn't seem to compile/decode the data as efficiently - thus the difference in sound. Given the PS3 is designed to compile/decode BD video/sound - it seems logical that it is probably the better of the two - in that regard. The 808 helps in defining the sound, just not compiling/decoding it initially (to analog). From what I've heard.

Sounds like a good opinion/theory. Any tests you can point us to?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page