The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 1629 Old 10-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
insync44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Doesn't seem too long ago when I purchased my Onyo 707. Is the 708 a big improvement on my 707? In other words is it worth the upgrade?
insync44 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 1629 Old 10-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44 View Post

Doesn't seem too long ago when I purchased my Onyo 707. Is the 708 a big improvement on my 707? In other words is it worth the upgrade?

It depends if you want the extra features. The 707 is not network-enabled, right? No USB ports either. Those are the two big differences from what I see.

If these aren't majorly important and can wait, then hold off until summer/fall when the 708's go on closeout like the 707s are now. Plus you get the added benefit of not having to wait for Onkyo to shake out a few more bugs out of it.

I jumped on it even though I had a serviceable HT-RC180, mainly because I am developing software to communicate with these over the network, wanted to play with/test against the new features, and I got a killer deal on it. Besides, it fit better in my rack setup where the 180 just did not have enough clearance. The 180 is now running a stereo setup in the bedroom - talk about overkill.
rworne is offline  
post #453 of 1629 Old 10-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Newbie
 
Lint Brush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I think I realized the problem (perhaps). The Onkyo isn't the probem--rather, my Squeezebox Classic only outputs 24/48; it apparently downconverts 24/96 signals. Oh well--am enjoying the receiver and wondering if bi-amping will give a meaningful boost to the sound quality.
Lint Brush is offline  
post #454 of 1629 Old 10-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Newbie
 
BidNo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another case of endless "Networking initializing...” The issue is almost certainly in the Onkyo software and not hardware. See below for my full diagnostics (confirms what has been said by others)

Upgraded and confirmed unit had newest firmware (08/13/10). Switched the network cable/connection for the 807 with the HTPC (i.e. which has no networking issue). Configured 807's network setting with static IP. Successfully connected to vTuner, servers, etc. Set network "remote control" to enabled. Put unit in standby and waited overnight. Powered unit and successfully connected to vTuner, etc.

Set network "remote control" to disabled. Put unit in standby and waited overnight. Powered unit and FAIL -- unit displays "Network initializing" message in a never-ending scroll (> 40 minutes). Despite this I then pinged the 807's IP from a network PC -- response from the 807 was fast and flawless. I then logged on my network router and the router showed the 807 as connected. I then performed connection diagnostic from the router to 807 (which tests connectivity) -- test succeeded.

It seems clear the 807 HAS network connectivity. Rather the issue seems to be in the unit's ability to reconnect to the network stack after a period of standby (and with remote control disabled).

My cabling is Cat 6, the above devices are all connected to a D-Link Gigabit switch. The Gigabit switch is then connected to an Actiontec MI424WR (w/current firmware) that connects through 100MB Ethernet to the on-house ONT for Internet connectivity. The only network issues I have are with the Onkyo 807 and the inability to "Play to" from Windows 7. I haven't troubleshot latter but it's probably due to (lack of ) Actiontec support for IP6.

Hope this helps get this issue resolved. I bought the 807 for its networking. And leaving the power on (i.e. with remote control enabled) isn't a viable option in my household.

BidNo is offline  
post #455 of 1629 Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My HT-RC180 (which is essentially the same thing) does not show these problems. In fact, I think it's performance is quite stellar considering I am hammering the network connection to it while developing my iOS application.

This is also after repeated power cycles. I did not mess with the network control function, but I do have mine set up with a static IP. My issues mostly have been loss of sound problem others reported here. That's been fixed now and I have been quite happy with the last firmware update.

Now the 708 is another issue entirely, the network stack on that is very twitchy.

Edit: Now I see you may have written 807 instead of 708.

Well here's my findings on the 708:

I had the Initializing problem from right out of the box. My DHCP setup which serves out IP's between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.20 works for all my devices in the home. The Onkyo will sometimes get an IP by the "unplug & replug" method, but it gets an IP of 192.168.0.X (where X is some low number). I have NO idea where that is coming from, but I do believe it is messing up the IP address it receives over DHCP. Once I changed it to a static IP, all the of the initialization problems went away.

Here's the other issues I've found:
1. Network stack dies unexpectedly. There are two causes for this. First is by sending a large message. If you send it a large packet, you will kill it. The usual behavior to this is while you may be able to connect via network control, the AVR will not respond to any commands. I've also seen it dead for no apparent reason after the AVR has been idle overnight. I've also run the app I've been developing that polls it every 100ms and had that run overnight and it was happy in the morning. If these occur, only a plug-pull fixes it.

2. Somewhere, something messes up and the AVR can no longer communicate with any streaming protcols. This is where the AVR behaves normally, sees the song title and other info, starts buffering then pops an error message "Cannot start ..." and skips to the next song - and this continually repeats. Only a plug-pull fixes it.

Considering my experiences with my 180 in the past, I have little doubt this will be fixed or improved as future firmware updates are released. My 180 went from a weekly case of frustration to a solid AVR that I no longer need to worry about. I hope the 708 does the same, because I really like it so far.
rworne is offline  
post #456 of 1629 Old 10-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Newbie
 
BidNo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my above post I failed to mention that, after confirming successful update to the latest firmware, I reset the 807 (holding the BD/DVD button while pressing Power/Standby) and received "Clear" followed by standby.

On another note, if you are unable to upgrade the 807 firmware via USB (i.e. the USB is not recognized and grayed on Setup menu), press "Power/Standby", disconnect the network cable and again press "Power/Standby". After a few seconds the USB should then be recognized and you can upgrade the 807 firmware from the USB.

BidNo is offline  
post #457 of 1629 Old 10-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Member
 
grod777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bronx,NY
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Considering this as an upgrade to my 705 but I think I will wait to see if network problem is resolved. That and 3D readiness will be my primary reason for upgrade.
How does the Web Gui and OSD for the Net function look? Can someone post pics of each?

Also from I understood HDMI 1.4 has an ethernet function where it can share all the connection with all devices connected HDMI 1.4? I did not see any info in the manual regarding this so i emailed Onkyo and was told that it is not supported. Not sure I understand why because that would just pass through the HDMI cable.

On another note has anyone connected a USB HDD to the front? The manual states not all USB devices will work and when I emailed Onkyo for a list of supported devices I was told they did not have one. I don't understand how they can say not all USB devices will work and not have a list of supported devices.

I am thinking of getting a BD Player with 2 HDMI so that video will go to the straight to the TV. Is this not recommended? I know that the 708 is 3D ready but I just would prefer not to have the video touched.

Currently I have my listening modes preset on my 705 and I plan to do the same on the 708. If I set Dolby TrueHD and the other HD codecs to another preset, lets say THX Select will I be losing out on the HD codecs or will it still process them?
grod777 is offline  
post #458 of 1629 Old 10-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Senior Member
 
ilkevinli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As Requested.




ilkevinli is offline  
post #459 of 1629 Old 10-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Member
 
grod777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bronx,NY
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thx ilkevinli. Better than I thought. If you or someone else can please post the OSD (TV) screen shots.
grod777 is offline  
post #460 of 1629 Old 10-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Member
 
grod777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bronx,NY
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am assuming this is not where you browse to a network folder just Internet Radio. Correct.
grod777 is offline  
post #461 of 1629 Old 10-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Senior Member
 
ilkevinli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Those screen shots are of the receivers web interface. You get it by typing the receivers IP address in Internet Explorer (or any other web browser) from a computer that is on the same network as the receiver.



Quote:
Originally Posted by grod777 View Post

I am assuming this is not where you browse to a network folder just Internet Radio. Correct.

ilkevinli is offline  
post #462 of 1629 Old 10-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Member
 
grod777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bronx,NY
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figured that but I can't browse to a network folder with music files from what I can see.
grod777 is offline  
post #463 of 1629 Old 10-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Newbie
 
BidNo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grod777 View Post

I figured that but I can't browse to a network folder with music files from what I can see.

You can use the 807's remote, click "Net/Usb" until "Servers" is displayed. From there you can select the server (actually a PC where you've shared the media library with your network) and you'll see the list of music that you can play.

Alternatively, with a Windows 7 PC and WMP (or alternative DLNA player), you can select "Play to" to send/play music on the 807.

As near as I can tell the former approach lacks features such as paging, search, playlists, etc. (i.e. limited utility with a large music collection) The latter approach SHOULD give you all this flexibility -- and should be fantastic. However, as noted above, I have unknown DLNA issues and the latter doesn't work for me.

BidNo is offline  
post #464 of 1629 Old 10-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
litew8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qenex View Post

I just got my receiver this week and was wondering what speaker config should I use for the Front. I have the klipsch quintet speakers and I plan to add two more speakers in the ceiling for 7.1. I'm only going to use two fronts that will be mounted from the ceiling, but I'm not sure which config to use.
Here what the choices are:

Front speakers (Left and Right)These output the overall sound. Their role in a home theater is to provide
a solid anchor for the sound image. They should be positioned
facing the listener at about ear level, and equidistant from the TV.
Angle them inward so as to create a triangle, with the listener at the
apex

Front high speakers (Left and Right)These speakers are necessary to enjoy Dolby Pro Logic IIz Height, and
Audyssey DSX™. They significantly enhance the spatial experience.
Position them at least 3.3 feet (100 cm) above the front speakers (preferably
as high as possible) and at an angle slightly wider than the front
speakers.

Front wide speakers (Left and Right)These speakers are necessary to enjoy Audyssey DSX. They significantly
enhance the spatial experience. Position them well outside of the
front speakers. See also http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dsx.html
about optimum speaker placement for Audyssey DSX.

IF I'm understanding you correctly, you are going to set up a 7.1 system - and have 2 speakers mounted to the ceilling. That means you'll probably will want 2 FRONT (on the floor), 2 SURROUND, 1 SUB and 2 FRONT HIGH (on the ceilling).

Someone correct me if this sounds wrong.

---------------------------------------
litew8 is offline  
post #465 of 1629 Old 10-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by grod777 View Post

Thx ilkevinli. Better than I thought. If you or someone else can please post the OSD (TV) screen shots.

These aren't screen shots of the GUI, but of an app I'm writing to control the receiver. the menus appear like this:

iRadio, DLNA, DLNA Selected
LL
LL
LL
rworne is offline  
post #466 of 1629 Old 10-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
ilkevinli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice idea ! Good luck with it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

These aren't screen shots of the GUI, but of an app I'm writing to control the receiver. the menus appear like this:

iRadio, DLNA, DLNA Selected

ilkevinli is offline  
post #467 of 1629 Old 10-24-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Got an interesting issue with a friend's brand new 708. Maybe someone has an answer or suggestion.

He has a Sony S570 Blu-ray player and a new Comcast MPEG-4 DVR decoder box (both for 3D) running through the 708 via HDMI to his new Sony Bravia KDL-55HX800 3D TV.

Randomly he gets these split second picture dropouts where the TV blinks to a black screen and then the image comes back. Every so often there is a multicolored static burst before it happens. The sound is not affected. Neither the receiver's HDMI indicator blink nor does the TV indicate it has lost signal sync.

It seems to only happen with 1080p/60 source content such as the Blu-ray player's Home menu or with a Blu-ray disc or TV program with 1080i or 720p/60 resolution. 1080p/24 movie content stays solid as a rock with no video hiccups.

This also only seems to happen when looped through the receiver. Hooking either HDMI source up directly to the TV makes the problem go away. An analog component video source such as his old DVD/VCR player also has no issues that I can see going through the receiver to the TV via HDMI cable (analog source up-conversion).

Personally, I've only seen these kinds of weird handshake issues with faulty HDMI cables with bandwidth issues. But could it also be something with the Faroudja video processor chip that the signal has to go through that is causing an unstable video handshake (again, there is no audio problem)?

Is there a way to completely bypass the internal video processor chip entirely or is that a no-go to see if the problem lies there?

Help!!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #468 of 1629 Old 10-24-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hughh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Go to the menu and and select #1 - Input/Output Assign
Select #1 - Monitor Out
Then in Resolution select Through

The manual states: For optimal video performance, THX recommends that video signals pass through the system without upconversion...

This is for my TX-SR707 but is should carry as well to the 708.
hughh is offline  
post #469 of 1629 Old 10-24-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I had set Through, but it still seemed to do it. Hmmm...

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #470 of 1629 Old 10-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
litew8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I had set Through, but it still seemed to do it. Hmmm...

So this is happening to different inputs, and varying resolutions - ? correct?
Do you have to go in and set "Through" for each input?

---------------------------------------
litew8 is offline  
post #471 of 1629 Old 10-25-2010, 09:13 AM
coy
Newbie
 
coy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I had set Through, but it still seemed to do it. Hmmm...

Try the "For optimal video performance, THX recommends that video signals pass through the system without upconversion
(e.g., component video input through to component video output).
To by-pass video upconversion in the AV receiver, simultaneously press the VCR/DVR and RETURN on the AV
receiver. While continuing to hold down the VCR/DVR, press RETURN to toggle until “Skip” appears on the
display. Release both buttons.
To use the video upconversion in the AV receiver, repeat the above process until “Use” appears on the display and
release the buttons." from page 22 of the 708 manual. I did this on mine! Do I also need to set 'through' on the monitor out?
coy is offline  
post #472 of 1629 Old 10-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Member
 
qenex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post

IF I'm understanding you correctly, you are going to set up a 7.1 system - and have 2 speakers mounted to the ceilling. That means you'll probably will want 2 FRONT (on the floor), 2 SURROUND, 1 SUB and 2 FRONT HIGH (on the ceilling).

Someone correct me if this sounds wrong.

I have my speakers like this:
1 Center Channel
1 Sub

Ceiling Mounted:
2 Front speakers
2 Side speakers
2 Rear Speakers

I have another pair of speakers that I'm going to try out that will be on the floor. I have to test them out to see if the sound is ok. If they are no good, then I will have only two ceiling front speakers. If that is the case, which speaker input should I use for them.
qenex is offline  
post #473 of 1629 Old 10-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
litew8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qenex View Post

I have my speakers like this:
1 Center Channel
1 Sub

Ceiling Mounted:
2 Front speakers
2 Side speakers
2 Rear Speakers

I have another pair of speakers that I'm going to try out that will be on the floor. I have to test them out to see if the sound is ok. If they are no good, then I will have only two ceiling front speakers. If that is the case, which speaker input should I use for them.

Look at the diagram on page 12
http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...50211541726047

I think you have too many speakers already mounted on the ceiling. It sounds as if you are trying to configure a 9.1 system, which you cannot do with this receiver. You can only have 7 speakers, total (plus 1 or 2 subs), connected. The only configuration for FRONT ceiling mounted speakers - requires only 2 speakers. You should not have 4 mounted on the ceiling up front.

Page 13 notes:
"*2 Front high, surround back and front wide speakers cannot be
used at the same time."


You have to decide which method you'd like to have. Either FRONT WIDE or FRONT HIGH. You cannot have both, and you should especially have 2 FRONT MAINS (on the floor). If you choose WIDE, they don't show them as being mounted on the ceiling up front, only the HIGHS are mounted on the ceiling, thus the term "high".

So... for what you have, you can do -

2 Front (mains) on the Floor (necessity)
2 Surrounds ((left/right) mounted on the ceiling, facing you directly - along side your seating)
1 Center
1 Sub
Then either - 2 Front HIGHS (on ceiling), OR 2 Front WIDE (on the floor).

---------------------------------------
litew8 is offline  
post #474 of 1629 Old 10-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Member
 
qenex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post

Look at the diagram on page 12
http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...50211541726047

I think you have too many speakers already mounted on the ceiling. It sounds as if you are trying to configure a 9.1 system, which you cannot do with this receiver. You can only have 7 speakers, total (plus 1 or 2 subs), connected. The only configuration for FRONT ceiling mounted speakers - requires only 2 speakers. You should not have 4 mounted on the ceiling up front.

Page 13 notes:
"*2 Front high, surround back and front wide speakers cannot be
used at the same time."


You have to decide which method you'd like to have. Either FRONT WIDE or FRONT HIGH. You cannot have both, and you should especially have 2 FRONT MAINS (on the floor). If you choose WIDE, they don't show them as being mounted on the ceiling up front, only the HIGHS are mounted on the ceiling, thus the term "high".

So... for what you have, you can do -

2 Front (mains) on the Floor (necessity)
2 Surrounds ((left/right) mounted on the ceiling, facing you directly - along side your seating)
1 Center
1 Sub
Then either - 2 Front HIGHS (on ceiling), OR 2 Front WIDE (on the floor).

Ok, thanks for the info but I only have 2 speakers mounted on the ceiling for the Front. The others 2 sets are for the Surround Side & Back. According to their chart on page 13, looking at the first 9 check list, I should be able to use this config with 9 speakers or am I reading it wrong?

2 Front High
2 Front Main (Floor)
2 Surrounds (Side L&R)
2 Surrounds (Back)
1 Center
1 Sub
qenex is offline  
post #475 of 1629 Old 10-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
litew8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qenex View Post

Ok, thanks for the info but I only have 2 speakers mounted on the ceiling for the Front. The others 2 sets are for the Surround Side & Back. Can I do this config or do I have to eliminate one of the surrounds to stay within 7.1?

2 Front High
2 Front Main (Floor)
2 Surrounds (Side L&R)
2 Surrounds (Back)
1 Center
1 Sub

Look at how many speakers you have listed.
It is showing as a 9.1 configuration (9 speakers and 1 sub = 9.1).
You cannot use all of those speakers. You need to eliminate 2 of them from somewhere.

Front high, surround back and front wide speakers cannot be used at the same time.

If you go with FRONT HIGH, you cannot use [either] SURROUND BACK OR FRONT WIDE.

If you go with FRONT WIDE, you cannot use [either] SURROUND BACK OR FRONT HIGH.

If you go with SURROUND BACK, you cannot use [either] FRONT HIGH OR FRONT WIDE.

You will have to experiment to see which one you like best and stick with it.

You'll have 2 FRONT (mains on the floor), 2 L/R SURROUNDS, 1 SUB, 1 CENTER, and then you can only have ONE of these:

FRONT HIGH
FRONT WIDE
SURROUND BACK

---------------------------------------
litew8 is offline  
post #476 of 1629 Old 10-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Member
 
apaiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Got an interesting issue with a friend's brand new 708. Maybe someone has an answer or suggestion.

He has a Sony S570 Blu-ray player and a new Comcast MPEG-4 DVR decoder box (both for 3D) running through the 708 via HDMI to his new Sony Bravia KDL-55HX800 3D TV.

Randomly he gets these split second picture dropouts where the TV blinks to a black screen and then the image comes back. Every so often there is a multicolored static burst before it happens. The sound is not affected. Neither the receiver's HDMI indicator blink nor does the TV indicate it has lost signal sync.

It seems to only happen with 1080p/60 source content such as the Blu-ray player's Home menu or with a Blu-ray disc or TV program with 1080i or 720p/60 resolution. 1080p/24 movie content stays solid as a rock with no video hiccups.

This also only seems to happen when looped through the receiver. Hooking either HDMI source up directly to the TV makes the problem go away. An analog component video source such as his old DVD/VCR player also has no issues that I can see going through the receiver to the TV via HDMI cable (analog source up-conversion).

Personally, I've only seen these kinds of weird handshake issues with faulty HDMI cables with bandwidth issues. But could it also be something with the Faroudja video processor chip that the signal has to go through that is causing an unstable video handshake (again, there is no audio problem)?

Is there a way to completely bypass the internal video processor chip entirely or is that a no-go to see if the problem lies there?

Help!!

I have similar setup with KDL-55NX810, Directv DVR Receiver and Sony S770 Blu-Ray player. I have my Directv DVR Box connected to the TV because of the 3D issue with Directv so its only processing sound, but my S770 is connected to HDMI on the 708.

I had a similar issue with my video while using blu-ray player and updated my firmware on the 708 and the S770. Right after the firmware update set the source to THROUGH and the problem was gone, it's been solid ever since.

I am not sure if the firmware corrected the problem or just setting the source to THROUGH fixed it. After those changes the S770 and 708 have been rock solid.
apaiz is offline  
post #477 of 1629 Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Shag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Minneapolis, MN USA
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are the current outstanding bugs/issues with the Onkyo 708? Considering this receiver as one possibility for an AVR preamp, but I get the impression there have been a fair number of issues. The feature set is great, but need to figure out if any of the issues are show-stoppers for me...

Anyone compared this directly to a Pioneer 1120?

-Shag
Shag is offline  
post #478 of 1629 Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Member
 
qenex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post

Look at how many speakers you have listed.
It is showing as a 9.1 configuration (9 speakers and 1 sub = 9.1).
You cannot use all of those speakers. You need to eliminate 2 of them from somewhere.

Front high, surround back and front wide speakers cannot be used at the same time.

If you go with FRONT HIGH, you cannot use [either] SURROUND BACK OR FRONT WIDE.

If you go with FRONT WIDE, you cannot use [either] SURROUND BACK OR FRONT HIGH.

If you go with SURROUND BACK, you cannot use [either] FRONT HIGH OR FRONT WIDE.

You will have to experiment to see which one you like best and stick with it.

You'll have 2 FRONT (mains on the floor), 2 L/R SURROUNDS, 1 SUB, 1 CENTER, and then you can only have ONE of these:

FRONT HIGH
FRONT WIDE
SURROUND BACK

Ok. I'll use this config
2 Front
2 Surround L/R
2 Surround Back
1 Center
1 Sub
Thanks for all the info!
qenex is offline  
post #479 of 1629 Old 10-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Member
 
Nillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've recently got a Samsung 3D plasma and needed a 3D capable receiver to go along with it so I replace my Sony ES receiver with the Onkyo 708. Couldn't be happier, with one exception....

I have a DirecTV HD-DVR hooked up to it on the Cab/Sat HDMI input. Every time I change channels there is a significant delay....I'm guessing that the thing is performing an HDMI handshake every stinking time I switch the channel. I never encountered this with my Sony receiver which was also hooked up over HDMI. Does anyone else see this issue, and is there a known solution? I'd switch over to component inputs but then I wouldn't have access to DTV's 3D channels.
Nillaz is offline  
post #480 of 1629 Old 10-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Newbie
 
den1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my 708 a few weeks ago. I'm using a ps3 for bluray & B&W 602 speakers for fronts & center, Altantic tech 4.5 dipole surrounds & SVS pb12nsd for sub. The receiver is great for movies but when I play those bluray concert disc(Metalica, Billy Idol, John Mayer, Bon Jovi, etc...), I'm not really impress with the sound I'm getting. It gets tiring to the ear. My old receiver is a Yamaha RXV1300, I got satisfying results playing those same disc & it's even playing in plain dolby or dts. Does anyone have the same experience? I read in this thread all about the wonderful features that the 708 has but I never read about how the sound is with music/concert bluray disc. Before I return/sell this receiver, i like to hear from the users of 708. Maybe I'm missing some settings here or there...
den1224 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off