The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread
rworne's Avatar rworne 12:56 PM 12-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post

If I have a dvr/vcr connected, can I record from a source other than what I'm watching?

I just replaced a TX-DS676 and that was one of its nice features. I could pick the "Rec Selector" and then send any picture and sound to the DVR. I can't find a recording selector in the 708. I looked at manuals for the higher models, and it seems like it's been eliminated from everything. This is pretty annoying. It basically means that the "outs" to the dvr/vcr are really just another monitor out.

While it does not help your situation, with the rise of HDMI, less and less material is able to be recorded. Onkyo must have saw the writing on the wall and eliminated them.

rrgg's Avatar rrgg 04:31 PM 12-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

While it does not help your situation, with the rise of HDMI, less and less material is able to be recorded. Onkyo must have saw the writing on the wall and eliminated them.

Fair enough but if it were only due to the rise of HDMI, it seems like the 708 wouldn't support s-video and composite in the first place. Besides, if they change their model every year, what's the rush?

Really I just asked in case I overlooked this missing feature, or there was some trick to it. I guess they really did get rid of something useful.

Thanks.
rworne's Avatar rworne 05:09 PM 12-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post

Fair enough but if it were only due to the rise of HDMI, it seems like the 708 wouldn't support s-video and composite in the first place. Besides, if they change their model every year, what's the rush?

Really I just asked in case I overlooked this missing feature, or there was some trick to it. I guess they really did get rid of something useful.

Thanks.

I'm looking at my feature chart and it seems that REC OUT was removed after the TX-NR1000 was released. 2004-2005 or thereabouts. The TX-NR803 and subsequent models seem not to have this feature.
xmeome's Avatar xmeome 04:23 PM 12-07-2010
Any one hear about compatibility with the Apple Ipad and Airplay with the TX-NR708? Very interested how about you for Onkyo to support?
haullin's Avatar haullin 07:58 PM 12-08-2010
I just completed the latest update (the internet connection seems to be fixed).. The reason I am posting is I've lost my OSD (on screen display).. I'm using all HDMI connects and I have it turned on in the settings.. Any suggestions ?.. It was fine b4 the update..
rworne's Avatar rworne 11:04 AM 12-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmeome View Post

Any one hear about compatibility with the Apple Ipad and Airplay with the TX-NR708? Very interested how about you for Onkyo to support?

I wondered myself. A Google search turned up a post by someone stating that Onkyo had no plans for Airplay support in the current (2010) models.

http://gdgt.com/discuss/onkyo-wont-b...y-current-a9f/

Of course, things may change with time, but from what I've seen, Onkyo tends to lock features on a released model, and any new "improvements" to the feature set get pushed to the next year's model - even if these are firmware-based features. So if it appears, it will most likely be in the TX-NR709.

This is not to dump too much on the 708. The 708 is quite an improvement feature-wise from the 707.
haullin's Avatar haullin 01:06 PM 12-09-2010
Reference my previous post.. How do you turn on/off the video processing maybe that's why I can't see the on screen display ?
Doing some research I came across a post where someone said it wasn't worth the video processing to keep the on screen display..

That wasn't it either .. Still no on screen display.... Anyone ?
stgdz's Avatar stgdz 09:33 PM 12-10-2010
So I got my 708 hooked up tonight and I have a question.

Isn't reference considered 85 instead of 82db? The onkyo has ref as 82.0db
Moebius's Avatar Moebius 09:28 AM 12-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Moebius, have him check that "Auto Power On" is set to On (default is Off) found under Setup Menu on the Panasonic Tv.

Long time between replies (was out of town for a couple weeks). Just had a chance to check and Auto Power On is set to "set" (options on that model are set or off) already.

It's strange, power down works perfect on it, but power up just doesn't seem to. The TV comes up, and within a few seconds is showing the HDMI pass through signal from the TiVo.
brendans13's Avatar brendans13 02:09 PM 12-11-2010
hey, thought i would reply to this thread as the one i created hasn't had any replies yet

i am the proud new owner of an onkyo tx-nr708

not all is peachy though

i've been trying for the past 2 days but i can't get my receiver to see my main windows 7 desktop pc as a media server using the 'net/usb' function

it can however, see my laptop and play mp3s from that

i've been using windows media player to share my main pc's content to my xbox360 and laptop for ages without any problems.. but the receiver just won't play ball

the pc can see the receiver on the network, can ping it, have added it as 'allowed' under WMP streaming options, have installed it as a digital media device, can use the 'play to' function to push mp3s to it, but it still won't show up as a 'media server' so i can browse my mp3s and play them on the receiver

running latest firmware, tried static and dhcp ip's, triple checked all firewalls, etc..

anyone else had this problem or have any ideas?
ajistheman's Avatar ajistheman 05:39 PM 12-11-2010
Where do I hook up the Wii's orange, blue, green, red, white connector? I see areas where I can hook up a Red/White connector, and an area where I can hook up the orange, blue, green connector, but not for both?
cagenuts's Avatar cagenuts 08:43 PM 12-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajistheman View Post

Where do I hook up the Wii's orange, blue, green, red, white connector? I see areas where I can hook up a Red/White connector, and an area where I can hook up the orange, blue, green connector, but not for both?

I'm guessing the orange, blue and green are video component connections so plug them into one of the component inputs together with the red/white audio connectors into one of the analogue audio inputs. Then configure the sound in the setup for the game (or whatever input you chose).

Does this make sense?
CAPTJOE's Avatar CAPTJOE 01:36 PM 12-12-2010
Just getting ready for my new 708 when I get home from offshore working.
I pretty much game on my PS3 and watch Blue Ray movies on same player.
I have another TV that is used for basic TV feed from Dish Network.
My questions is what would be a step by step method for getting me up and runnning ASAP.
Here is what I will be working with.
Klipsch Hersey ( R & L Surrounds )
Klipsch RF 52Floorstanding Spkrs ( R & L Fronts )
Klipsch 12" reference subwoofer ( Single Sub )
New tv will be either a LG 50" pk550 or 750 or Panny 50 G25.
I will look at best price and picture quaility myself as soon as I get home.

Here is what I am thinking!! Will the new 708's be shipped with the most updated firmware installed ???

I have downloaded firmware updates onto my thumb drive to install once I get home.
My network is slow at home I'm on Hughes net sat for internet.

Do I have this in proper order.

1. Connect all hardware.
2.Power up 708 and install updates.
3.config system on Audessy.
4.??????? What setting for the individual speakers.

Thanks for the help.!!!!
crbaldwin's Avatar crbaldwin 06:32 AM 12-13-2010
The manual indicates that there is menu output only over HDMI so I guess this is the case for Internet Radio as well (no component video output display for playback menus, etc.)?
haullin's Avatar haullin 09:22 AM 12-13-2010
It has to be HDMI.. Unfortunately after the firmware update I lost my on screen menu all together...
jazzman161's Avatar jazzman161 09:37 AM 12-13-2010
Does anybody have any experience with this receiver and connecting an HTPC via HDMI. I saw one post about how a 1080i/p input from the HTPC wouldn't work???

If somebody could let me know that'd be great as my HTPC runs pretty much 85% of what I use my home theater for.

Thanks!
chs4000's Avatar chs4000 12:02 PM 12-15-2010
Does the 708 get access to the network/online/live database of remote control codes? According to the manual, it doesn't, a plain difference from the 808's manual, which shows that the 808 -- does. I find it hard to believe they'd create this very artificial market segmentation but I do have to go by what the manual tells me. Could somebody with a unit at hand tell me if the manual is wrong?
unclemiller's Avatar unclemiller 07:14 PM 12-15-2010
Hey Jazzman161,
I am currently running a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P mobo with an EVGA GTX470 using the HDMI. I am using the PC HDMI input on the 708 and I have the mode set to [through] as well. It passes a full 1080P signal and 7.1 audio just fine. I mostly play games so I don't know how a movie would work, but I assume that it would. I had a lot of problems getting it to work though. I think it was a problem with the Nvidia drivers. Miracously it has been working great for about a week now. I have heard of other people who were not so lucky for one reason or another. Hope this helps and hope you get yours going.

unclemiller
TripleFun's Avatar TripleFun 09:05 PM 12-15-2010
Jazman161

I use a GA-e7aum-ds2 and the HDMI output (with Nvidia GTS450, Q6600, 2GB RAM, W7, WMC and Shark 007 codecs) surpasses all other devices including Blu Ray player and PS3
markus767's Avatar markus767 03:19 AM 12-16-2010
Hi guys,

I get a picture shift to the left when connecting a Mac mini (1.66 GHz Core Duo) to my TX-NR708:

Mac mini is connected via DVI-to-HDMI cable and via optical cable for audio. TX-NR708 firmware is 1041-0800-0010-2103 (most current version).

Changing screen resolution on the Mac mini has no effect. Restarting the Mac sometimes resolves the issue but the probelm is back after switching inputs on the AVR.
No picture problems when connecting the Mac directly to the TV (Philips 52PFL5605H) via DVI-to-HDMI.
When switching off the 708's video processor (VCR/DVR + Return > skip), the problem is solved but now there's no audio. Is the video processor needed to mix audio and video or is this a bug?

I was talking to Onkyo support and their solution was to buy a new player. Funny people. Any ideas how to solve this issue?

Thanks
thebard's Avatar thebard 10:32 AM 12-16-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Changing screen resolution on the Mac mini has no effect.

Have you tried changing resolution on the Onkyo? You said the problem went away when video processing was disabled; maybe it's a bug with one particular output resolution.
markus767's Avatar markus767 12:26 PM 12-16-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Have you tried changing resolution on the Onkyo? You said the problem went away when video processing was disabled; maybe it's a bug with one particular output resolution.

Setting "1-1. Monitor Out > Resolution" has basically no influence. The receiver passes through whatever resolution the Mac mini supplies.
thebard's Avatar thebard 12:36 PM 12-16-2010
Quote:

Setting "1-1. Monitor Out > Resolution" has basically no influence. The receiver passes through whatever resolution the Mac mini supplies.

- What cable are you using between the 708 and the display? HDMI or Component?
- On the Onkyo select Setup > Input/Output Assign > Monitor Out/resolution. Try a different setting. (I couldn't tell from your post whether you tried that or not; if so, disregard.)

That should narrow down whether the problem is coming from the specific output or a setting on the receiver.
markus767's Avatar markus767 12:44 PM 12-16-2010
Quote:

- What cable are you using between the 708 and the display? HDMI or Component?

HDMI

Quote:

- On the Onkyo select Setup > Input/Output Assign > Monitor Out/resolution. Try a different setting.

I did. Tried all of them but the 708 switches automatically to the resolution provided to its HDMI input.
thebard's Avatar thebard 01:12 PM 12-16-2010
Quote:

Tried all of them but the 708 switches automatically to the resolution provided to its HDMI input.

Ahh... is your Mac set up at 1080p? Because that should be the only resolution the Onkyo won't rescale over hdmi.

Try setting the Mac mini to 1080i or 720, and see if the Onkyo will let you select a different resolution. At least to see where the problem lies...
markus767's Avatar markus767 02:45 PM 12-16-2010
Quote:

Ahh... is your Mac set up at 1080p? Because that should be the only resolution the Onkyo won't rescale over hdmi.

Try setting the Mac mini to 1080i or 720, and see if the Onkyo will let you select a different resolution. At least to see where the problem lies...

When the Mac is set to 1080p or 1080i, I get the picture shift. When set to 720p the picture is ok but after switching inputs, the picture doesn't come back and all I see is a black screen.

Do you own a 708? Does switching Monitor Out > Resolution work with your unit?
thebard's Avatar thebard 03:17 PM 12-16-2010
Quote:

When the Mac is set to 1080p or 1080i, I get the picture shift. When set to 720p the picture is ok but after switching inputs, the picture doesn't come back and all I see is a black screen.

Do you own a 708? Does switching Monitor Out > Resolution work with your unit?

I do own a 708, but I don't have a Mac mini, so I can't reproduce the problem.

And yes, changing output resolutions on the Onkyo works fine with my sources.
markus767's Avatar markus767 03:22 PM 12-16-2010
Quote:

I do own a 708, but I don't have a Mac mini, so I can't reproduce the problem.

And yes, changing output resolutions on the Onkyo works fine with my sources.

So setting the 708 to let's say 480p will scale any input to that resolution? Checked it with an Apple TV (2) and didn't get it to work either. Do you need to restart the AVR to make it work? Do you have RIHD enabled?
thebard's Avatar thebard 03:26 PM 12-16-2010
Quote:

So setting the 708 to let's say 480p will scale any input to that resolution? Checked it with an Apple TV (2) and didn't get it to work either. Do you need to restart the AVR to make it work? Do you have RIHD enabled?

Yep, works without a restart. I have RIHD disabled.
markus767's Avatar markus767 03:35 PM 12-16-2010
Quote:

Yep, works without a restart. I have RIHD disabled.

Looks like something's wrong with my 708. I'll try a complete reset tomorrow.
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop