The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1629 Old 12-27-2010, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the TX-NR708 downmix multichannel audio to stereo when headphones are plugged in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1629 Old 12-28-2010, 12:54 AM

Okay so awhile back I had the Onkyo 605. I was not happy that it would not take a DTS-HD 5.1 signal or a DD True HD 5.1 signal and derive two more channels to make it 7.1. I ended up replacing it with a Pioneer avr that could do this. Does anyone know if this is something that the 708 is capable of doing?
post #813 of 1629 Old 12-28-2010, 03:53 AM

Given a choice, should I choose surround back speakers or front highs? I'd like to try the Pro-Logic IIz/DSX modes but not sure what I'm losing by not plumbing back surrounds.

I know the two can co-exist but I'd rather not have to change listening modes all the time hoping the respective speakers will kick-in at some stage. Am I understanding this scenario properly?

Thanks for the input.
post #814 of 1629 Old 12-30-2010, 07:14 AM

Just picked up the RC270 from Amazon because they were offering a nice discount.

I went back and forth between the RC270 and the 708 for quite some time (had my eyes on the 708 for a while). In the end I decided to go with the RC270 as these were the differences that I could find:

708 vs 270
1 extra HDMI input
110watts vs 100watts
Sirius Satellite Ready
RS-232
and 12 volt trigger

Otherwise they all seemed to be the same. Did I make a mistake? The extra HDMI, sirius, rs-232 are not important to me but I did go back and forth on whether the 12 volt trigger and extra 10 watts were important.

Questions:
1) Did I make a mistake should I have held out for the 708?
2) How will this thing sounds with Polk speakers? How will it sound in general, on occasion I hear people think the Onkyo's are soft
3) How is the reliability of the 708/270. There are reports of HDMI failure, is this really widespread?
4) How is the heat dissipation? My understanding is it's definitely improved but what are your thoughts?

THANKS for any help!
post #815 of 1629 Old 12-30-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2375 View Post
Just picked up the RC270 from Amazon because they were offering a nice discount.

Quote:
Questions:
Quote:
1) Did I make a mistake should I have held out for the 708?
Huge mistake! You'll regret it forever and never sleep again properly.

Seriously, you made the decision so focus on the positives and what YOUR AVR can do.

Quote:
2) How will this thing sounds with Polk speakers? How will it sound in general, on occasion I hear people think the Onkyo's are soft
Probably fantastic. I'm busy setting up my 708 with RTiA3s, CSiA4 and PSW125. All my previous Onkyos sounded just fine with Polk speakers.

Quote:
3) How is the reliability of the 708/270. There are reports of HDMI failure, is this really widespread?
It won best AVR for 2010. Home Theater Reviews's 2010 Best of Home Theater Awards
post #816 of 1629 Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 AM

I had a quick question here as well. I am coming from an 8 year old Denon 1803 and having a bit of "fun" trying to decide which receiver to proceed with. I had narrowed down my decision to the 708 and 808. I then decided, that between them, the 708 would work great for me, especially since I didn't need to worry for the power so much - I plan on getting an Emotiva next year.

This morning I noticed a great deal on the RC270 that would add a good bit towards my amp fund if I went with this over the 708. Going back and forth between the two, the main benefits of the 708 over the RC270 were:

-Sirius radio (don't have it and don't plan on getting it anytime soon)
-10 watt diff (should not really matter since I plan on upgrading to a separate amp)
-1 more hdmi (I don't have nearly enough inputs for this to matter)
-12v trigger (zone 2)
-RS-232

Of all the above, the 12v trigger and RS-232 are the only ones that I don't know too much about. I know the 12v trigger is used to turn on items - what is meant by being zone 2? What use is the RS-232? This I know nothing about.

Thanks for any help!
post #817 of 1629 Old 12-30-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagenuts View Post
Huge mistake!
Thanks for the reply I was more asking if I would REALLY miss some of the features that I listed. Like for example if someone chimed in and said "I never planned on having a 12 volt trigger but found it to be very useful" that would be good.

This isn't about receiver envy, it's about features.

Thanks for the help and the link!
post #818 of 1629 Old 12-30-2010, 08:49 AM

Well AFAIK, the 12v trigger is just there to remotely turn on and off the Amp in Zone 2. So if you don't need any of this then you won't miss it.

The RS-232 I think is for maintenance.
post #819 of 1629 Old 12-30-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagenuts View Post
Well AFAIK, the 12v trigger is just there to remotely turn on and off the Amp in Zone 2. So if you don't need any of this then you won't miss it.

The RS-232 I think is for maintenance.
Thanks. That is kind of what I thought the trigger was for - so I don't think I would miss that. The RS-232 was the one I really didn't know anything about....and it doesn't seem like I would have any reason to use it.
post #820 of 1629 Old 12-30-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi mrjulius, the PS3 can output two cable connection simultaneously by setting "Audio Multi-Output" to On.

You can find this by going to Settings -> Sound Settings -> Audio Multi-Output.

With this enabled it may affect the BD audio playback through HDMI. But I'm not sure so play a BD disc to see what it output.

JChin,
Thanks for the tip. I looked in the manual and it said something about multi-output and setting other outputs to 2-channel.

I'll look further.

MrJulius

The Evil Plan = (Dynasty + Empire) / at 40 Hz !
post #821 of 1629 Old 12-30-2010, 11:24 AM

Does anyone know if the 708 will pass a 24 frames-per-second film through to the TV? I'm thinking about buying this receiver, and I'm concerned that it will always do 3:2 pulldown on film content. I have a pretty nice TV that handles film content really well (96fps), so I don't need or want frame rate conversion.

I've been studying the manual. There's a Picture Adjust menu that has a Film Mode category. The "Video" setting just says "Does not process in either 3:2 or 2:2". I don't really understand that statement. It sort of sounds like what I want, but it's vague. What does "does not process" mean?

Thanks.
post #822 of 1629 Old 12-30-2010, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

All I know is when I hit Display while playing a BluRay, it shows 24fps in and out.

(Now, unfortunately, I think my Vizio 553SV TV does the 3:2 and shows it at 60fps.)

-- TiVo FAQ Editor: www.tivofaq.com
post #823 of 1629 Old 12-30-2010, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Another question: When I hit Display it always shows PCM 2.0ch audio input, whether the source is an old DirecTiVo or a new BluRay disk. Does this mean that I am only getting stereo from all of my sources?

-- TiVo FAQ Editor: www.tivofaq.com
post #824 of 1629 Old 12-30-2010, 11:27 PM

I've also got this question on another thread but thought there may be more action on this one. I have the ht-r270 and I can't figure out why I can't get any volume from sub, nothing. Havn't had a chance to do audyssey yet.
post #825 of 1629 Old 12-31-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwab View Post

All I know is when I hit Display while playing a BluRay, it shows 24fps in and out.

Perfect, thanks.
post #826 of 1629 Old 12-31-2010, 08:33 AM

hi,
I would appreciate, if someone could answer this...

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisbandi View Post

I bought a TX-NR 708 for Xmas.
I saw, that it has a fan inside, but don't know, whether it should operate all the time (of course, when the amp is on), or not. Mine have not moved yet, and I don't know, what's the reason of that.

Will it just flow the air, when it's getting too hot (reaches a certain temperature)?
Or should it always rotate, and I got a faulty one?

Could someone check this on his/her own receiver?
It can be seen with a flashlight through the top of the unit.

post #827 of 1629 Old 12-31-2010, 11:14 AM

Fixed the problem with the sub. It blew a fuse a while ago and it decided that immediately after I hooked up my new receiver was the most convenient time to blow again. So after some painful messing with the receiver and doing an even more painful thing, reading the destructions, I checked to see if the amp blew a fuse again.
post #828 of 1629 Old 12-31-2010, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I just got an Onkyo HT-RC270. The thread for that receiver is new and not many users yet. Someone suggested that people have had the same problem with this receiver and that you guys might be helpful. I searched but didn't find the exact same problem.

When I go into my settings to configure set up the network, the Networking option is grayed out and not selectable. I have the receiver plugged into a network switch and the light on the switch comes on so the switch sees the receiver.

Any idea what I need to do to get access to the Networking setup screen?

Thank you!
post #829 of 1629 Old 12-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

hi,
I would appreciate, if someone could answer this...

Thanks in advance!

Someone had asked Onkyo this question a while back. I believe their response was - It is temperature control, and will activate when a certain temperature is reached (thermal control).

---------------------------------------
post #830 of 1629 Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post

I just got an Onkyo HT-RC270. The thread for that receiver is new and not many users yet. Someone suggested that people have had the same problem with this receiver and that you guys might be helpful. I searched but didn't find the exact same problem.

When I go into my settings to configure set up the network, the Networking option is grayed out and not selectable. I have the receiver plugged into a network switch and the light on the switch comes on so the switch sees the receiver.

Any idea what I need to do to get access to the Networking setup screen?

Thank you!

Download the Firmware update on a computer. Copy the files to a USB drive. Update the Receiver via the USB. See my signature for more info.

post #831 of 1629 Old 12-31-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post

Someone had asked Onkyo this question a while back. I believe their response was - It is temperature control, and will activate when a certain temperature is reached (thermal control).

Thanks for your reply!

I couldn't find this information anywhere.
May be I was searching for it by typing wrong keywords.
post #832 of 1629 Old 12-31-2010, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for your reply!

I couldn't find this information anywhere.
May be I was searching for it by typing wrong keywords.

You are welcome. You might want to go through the 808 thread also for information. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19741488

post #833 of 1629 Old 01-01-2011, 06:59 AM

OK, everythings out of the box, network is fine, firmware is updated with no problem. I've tried to run Audyssey several times and it hangs during the calculating phase. I've even let it run overnight and it still hangs. I've tried 3 and 6 positions for calibration - same problem. I've tried re-setting the unit and starting over - same problem. My speaker configuration is set for 5.1 although I have front-high's on order. The progress bar is stuck right in the middle during the calculating phase and doesn't move. Faulty unit or am I missing something???? Could it be problems with the Audyssey Mic?? When it says set your sub to 75db, the Mic measures that with no problem. Help!
post #834 of 1629 Old 01-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

I'm beginning to look for a new AVR to replace my older Denon. Onkyo seems to be the bang-for-the-buck champ right now, this model in particular.

Is anyone using the 708 (or 808) with the new Oppo BDP-93 disc player?

Happy with the combination?

Any issues with audio sync or audio dropouts?

Thanks,

DE

Calvin & Hobbes - Greatest. Comic. Ever.
post #835 of 1629 Old 01-01-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1959 View Post

OK, everythings out of the box, network is fine, firmware is updated with no problem. I've tried to run Audyssey several times and it hangs during the calculating phase. I've even let it run overnight and it still hangs. I've tried 3 and 6 positions for calibration - same problem. I've tried re-setting the unit and starting over - same problem. My speaker configuration is set for 5.1 although I have front-high's on order. The progress bar is stuck right in the middle during the calculating phase and doesn't move. Faulty unit or am I missing something???? Could it be problems with the Audyssey Mic?? When it says set your sub to 75db, the Mic measures that with no problem. Help!

I'd ask your question in the Audyssey thread in the sticky section. More Audyssey folks will see it.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #836 of 1629 Old 01-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1959 View Post

I'd say calculation is performed after the mic data has been acquired, which allows the software to continue onto the next step (thus - as to your description, it sounds as if the mic is relaying the data to the receiver) - so it probably isn't the mic itself. Just for good measure, make sure there isn't any background noise that may be interfering.

post #837 of 1629 Old 01-01-2011, 11:07 AM

I'm desperately looking for some help. i just got this receiver the other day and i love it. i was setting up the harmony remote, powered everything off and when the receiver came back on i'm not getting any video now. when i hit the display button on the top right of the remote it shows the input resolution and below it, it should show the output resolution. Mine is showing "off". i'm sure that's the problem, but i don't know 1. how it got changed, and 2. how to correct it. any ideas? thanks in advance
post #838 of 1629 Old 01-01-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingston View Post

I'm desperately looking for some help. i just got this receiver the other day and i love it. i was setting up the harmony remote, powered everything off and when the receiver came back on i'm not getting any video now. when i hit the display button on the top right of the remote it shows the input resolution and below it, it should show the output resolution. Mine is showing "off". i'm sure that's the problem, but i don't know 1. how it got changed, and 2. how to correct it. any ideas? thanks in advance

Are you using the HDMI out to the TV?

Check here:

Setup > Monitor out.

Make sure it is set to HDMI.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #839 of 1629 Old 01-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't see a setting to change it to hdmi for monitor out, i just see auto, through and the different resolution settings. The stupid thing is that is was working fine just earlier today. I have no idea what happened
post #840 of 1629 Old 01-01-2011, 11:32 AM

Just to update, i did a firmware update which did nothing. then i tried hooking up the components straight to the tv via hdmi. still got nothing. i did an update on the tv and magically everything is working now. i guess it was just coincidental that it needed an update just as i powered the receiver down. thanks for the quick reply
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page