The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1629 Old 01-10-2011, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone experiencing interference issues between the Onkyo remote and the Panasonic VT25 plasma series? Any time 3D is enabled, the Onkyo remote stops working with my receiver. Funny thing is that it still controls the TV and the Blu-ray player, but the receiver is completely unresponsive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1629 Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 PM

Greetings all,

Having a very intermittent issue with my 708, which I purchased in early November. I have the latest firmware installed.

I've got a DirecTV HD-DVR hooked up to the 708.
Very randomly, I'm getting a quick audio dropout (usually about 1/3 of a second). If I roll the DVR back and watch the same portion again,
there is no dropout. Sometimes there is a dropout every ten minutes or so, sometimes none for over an hour....This occurs when sending audio to the 708 via HDMI or with an optical cable. I've tried turning off Intellivolume, and it still occurs.

If I connect the DVR directly to the TV, there are no audio dropouts.
They only occur when audio is routed through the receiver, which
makes me believe that the Onkyo is to blame.
The only caveat is that I have a BluRay hooked up to the Onkyo,
and the problem never occurs there.

Any thoughts?
post #903 of 1629 Old 01-10-2011, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbutton View Post

Greetings all,

Having a very intermittent issue with my 708, which I purchased in early November. I have the latest firmware installed.

I've got a DirecTV HD-DVR hooked up to the 708.
Very randomly, I'm getting a quick audio dropout (usually about 1/3 of a second). If I roll the DVR back and watch the same portion again,
there is no dropout. Sometimes there is a dropout every ten minutes or so, sometimes none for over an hour....This occurs when sending audio to the 708 via HDMI or with an optical cable. I've tried turning off Intellivolume, and it still occurs.

If I connect the DVR directly to the TV, there are no audio dropouts.
They only occur when audio is routed through the receiver, which
makes me believe that the Onkyo is to blame.
The only caveat is that I have a BluRay hooked up to the Onkyo,
and the problem never occurs there.

Any thoughts?

Hi Redbutton, its the DVR. Look up your model with audio drop out and you find others has this issue as well (even with different receivers).
post #904 of 1629 Old 01-11-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Redbutton, its the DVR. Look up your model with audio drop out and you find others has this issue as well (even with different receivers).

Hmmm, thank you JChin. I found this elsewhere on the forum:

"This is nothing to do with the DirecTV receiver/DVR. There are many posts about this in various forums. It's a problem with the DD 5.1 audio coming from the channel. As has been posted by beerstalker, joed32 and others, the problem with the audio screws up the encoder that DirecTV uses to convert from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4, a small dropout turns into a larger one. Some A/V receivers (Onkyo, Denon) are more sensitive to the dropout than others (my Sony handles the dropouts quite well). Other than switching off Dolby Digital, there is NOTHING you can do to prevent the problem.
And yes, although the Dish encoders don't seem as sensitive to the problem as the DirecTv ones, the problem exists with some channels on Dish also."

Just curious if anyone else here with a 708/DirecTV HD-DVR (HR24) is having the issue and if there's any validity to this post as far as a non-Onkyo receiver being less susceptible to the problem?
post #905 of 1629 Old 01-11-2011, 03:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood13 View Post

did u try a different outlet. i had a mini stereo do some weird things once in a poor outlet. only the standby light would come on for me. just a thought.

Using the same outlet I had the TX-SR674 running from. Just switched them back in anticipation of a return and the 674 works fine. When we built the house I had a larger circuit put in for my AV area.This stinks to get a dud that's brand new!
post #906 of 1629 Old 01-11-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Hmmm, thank you JChin. I found this elsewhere on the forum:

"This is nothing to do with the DirecTV receiver/DVR. There are many posts about this in various forums. It's a problem with the DD 5.1 audio coming from the channel. As has been posted by beerstalker, joed32 and others, the problem with the audio screws up the encoder that DirecTV uses to convert from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4, a small dropout turns into a larger one. Some A/V receivers (Onkyo, Denon) are more sensitive to the dropout than others (my Sony handles the dropouts quite well). Other than switching off Dolby Digital, there is NOTHING you can do to prevent the problem.
And yes, although the Dish encoders don't seem as sensitive to the problem as the DirecTv ones, the problem exists with some channels on Dish also."

Just curious if anyone else here with a 708/DirecTV HD-DVR (HR24) is having the issue and if there's any validity to this post as far as a non-Onkyo receiver being less susceptible to the problem?

What a coincedence. I've had my Comcast DVR/Onkyo 708/UN55C8000 working together since last July and only in the last couple of weeks have I experienced the dreaded audio dropouts. Like you, I have NOT experienced the dropouts when my BD-6900 plays BRs through the system. I thought it was my 708 that was starting to flake, but it is VERY random, and only with the DVR content (as far as I can tell). Oh, and by the way, there are no dropouts with internet radio, either, so I think this might support the DD audio sensitivity premise.

- Steve
post #907 of 1629 Old 01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Are you guys hardwired, or using a wireless extender/booster, ics or other?

I thought it was just me, as I'm hooked up via internet connection sharing on my pc.

Hard-wired, all of them, with brand-new Cat6 ethernet cable.
post #908 of 1629 Old 01-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbosch74 View Post

Quick question (I've been reading for 2+ hours and figured a quick question those in the know would be better use of the forum):

Have all the initial bugs on the 608/708/808 been worked out? If I buy any of these three now will all the fixes (assuming all bugs are fixed) be updated?

Thank you.

The software update I applied last November pretty much satisfied most of my issues. The 708 has been rock-solid since then. The only issues I have that remain are regarding the supposed compatibility mentioned in Onkyo's network protocol spec and what they actually implemented. None of this really would affect any end-user unless they are controlling the AVR via the Ethernet or serial port.

Regarding Onkyo's support over time:

I also have an HT-RC180, which is mostly the same as an 807. Onkyo released a firmware update for that one around last October, fixing the last bug that plagues users of that year's model (Audio stops working until you unplug the AVR). That's a far cry better than a few other brands that stop everything once they shove a new model out the door (I'm talking to you, Samsung!)
post #909 of 1629 Old 01-11-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

Hard-wired, all of them, with brand-new Cat6 ethernet cable.

Hmm... I've only started having issues recently. Pandora will play 2, maybe 3 songs, then tell me it can't connect... but buffering isn't slow, and there are no hiccups whatsoever on playback. Then when I back out & reselect the channel, it plays fine for a few more songs.

I wonder if they changed anything in their streaming methods recently? I'll have to check if vTuner has the same problems...
post #910 of 1629 Old 01-11-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hoping someone could comment on 4 vs. 6 ohm speaker setting for my system (5.1). The 708 manual states that if any speaker is at 4 ohms (but less than 6) then speaker setting should be set at 4.

In my set-up, I have Center, SR, SL speakers (Axioms) which are 6 and 8 ohms and being driven directly from the 708. My FR and FL speakers are 4 ohms (not Axioms), and being driven by a Rotel 2 channel amp via the 708's FR/FL pre-outs.

I currently have the AVR set to 6 ohms. Should I change this to 4 ohms due to the FL/FR's impedence, or doesn't it matter due to having the Rotel amp in between AVR and speakers?
post #911 of 1629 Old 01-11-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman48 View Post
What a coincedence. I've had my Comcast DVR/Onkyo 708/UN55C8000 working together since last July and only in the last couple of weeks have I experienced the dreaded audio dropouts. Like you, I have NOT experienced the dropouts when my BD-6900 plays BRs through the system. I thought it was my 708 that was starting to flake, but it is VERY random, and only with the DVR content (as far as I can tell). Oh, and by the way, there are no dropouts with internet radio, either, so I think this might support the DD audio sensitivity premise.

- Steve

Interesting, Steve. From the research I've done, it seems that this is a known issue with both DirecTV and Dish network HD-DVR's. Yours is the first I've heard of it being a problem with Comcast as well.

From what I've read, some are saying that Onkyo receivers do not handle the dropout as well as some other brands (such as Sony or Yamaha) I'm trying to find out if there's any truth to that.
post #912 of 1629 Old 01-11-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto View Post
Hoping someone could comment on 4 vs. 6 ohm speaker setting for my system (5.1). The 708 manual states that if any speaker is at 4 ohms (but less than 6) then speaker setting should be set at 4.

In my set-up, I have Center, SR, SL speakers (Axioms) which are 6 and 8 ohms and being driven directly from the 708. My FR and FL speakers are 4 ohms (not Axioms), and being driven by a Rotel 2 channel amp via the 708's FR/FL pre-outs.

I currently have the AVR set to 6 ohms. Should I change this to 4 ohms due to the FL/FR's impedence, or doesn't it matter due to having the Rotel amp in between AVR and speakers?
This is discussed ad nauseum in the speaker forum and elsewhere in this one, with the general consensus (by my interpretation) that there should be no harm running 4ohm speakers at the 6ohm setting provided the receiver has adequate ventilation and volume levels are kept reasonable.

I have a mix of 4 & 6ohm speakers & I leave it set at 6. No problems yet. That being said, YMMV, the manual advises otherwise, and all the other usual disclaimers.
post #913 of 1629 Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Interesting, Steve. From the research I've done, it seems that this is a known issue with both DirecTV and Dish network HD-DVR's. Yours is the first I've heard of it being a problem with Comcast as well.

From what I've read, some are saying that Onkyo receivers do not handle the dropout as well as some other brands (such as Sony or Yamaha) I'm trying to find out if there's any truth to that.
I had audio drop out with Uverse att motorola box (Denon receiver). They didn't even offer DD 5.1 through HDMI port (only Optical port). After a couple of few firmware update, DD 5.1 thru HDMI port and no audio drop (knock on wood).

But others with Uverse box still do get audio drop out, don't know why.
post #914 of 1629 Old 01-11-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:

No dude, the Rotel is powering the front speakers so set the 708 speakers to 6 Ohm. You must be getting serious sound out of that though hey?
post #915 of 1629 Old 01-11-2011, 10:18 PM

Anyone know how to connect both a CD player and TV to the 708?

I currently have an optic from the TV to the AVR in the optic TV/CD port for ARC. I tried using the Phono analog port for my Onkyo CD player but the sound was terrible. I wanted to use both analog and digital to get sound out of the CD player so should I connect the optic from the CD player to optic 2 then?

Confused as usual.
post #916 of 1629 Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagenuts View Post

Anyone know how to connect both a CD player and TV to the 708?

I currently have an optic from the TV to the AVR in the optic TV/CD port for ARC. I tried using the Phono analog port for my Onkyo CD player but the sound was terrible. I wanted to use both analog and digital to get sound out of the CD player so should I connect the optic from the CD player to optic 2 then?

Confused as usual.

- ARC is the audio return channel and only applies to hdmi. Optical from your tv will only work if your tv has an optical OUT.

- The phono input is a different impedance, for turntable hookup. You'll need to use one of the line level analog audio inputs (vcr, tv/cd, game, etc.) for your cd player.

Hook up the CD's analog out to the analog input on the Onkyo that matches the input selector you want to use (for ex., GAME if you want to use the GAME selector on the remote). Then hook up the optical from the CD to an optical input on the Onkyo, and assign that input to the GAME (for example) selctor in the setup.
post #917 of 1629 Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:

- ARC is the audio return channel and only applies to hdmi. Optical from your tv will only work if your tv has an optical OUT.

My TV does have an optic out and I read somewhere in the Onkyo manual that I need this connected in order for sound to be played on the AVR when connecting devices directly to the TV. I tested this yesterday with my nephew's PS2 and it worked well.

Quote:

- The phono input is a different impedance, for turntable hookup. You'll need to use one of the line level analog audio inputs (vcr, tv/cd, game, etc.) for your cd player.

Ok makes sense then why the phone input didn't work. My problem is that I'm using BD for my Blu-Ray, VCR/DVR for my SD PVR, Cable/Sat for my HD PVR, GAME for my Xbox and PC for my HTPC. So the way I see it I can use either PORT or AUX for the CD player or just use analog and plug it into the TV/CD input.

On my old 600 I could assign the analog ports to whatever but now it's impossible.

Am I seeing this correctly?

My problem really is this. I used to be able to switch off the CD player using the AVR remote but now I think there's a clash with the RI and HDMI (the manual is a bit vague on this). I programmed remote codes for the CD player and they work except for the power on/off functions.

That's why I figured I needed to use the specific TV/CD input to get this to work.

Eish!
post #918 of 1629 Old 01-11-2011, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My problem is that I'm using BD for my Blu-Ray, VCR/DVR for my SD PVR, Cable/Sat for my HD PVR, GAME for my Xbox and PC for my HTPC. So the way I see it I can use either PORT or AUX for the CD player or just use analog and plug it into the TV/CD input.

My problem really is this. I used to be able to switch off the CD player using the AVR remote but now I think there's a clash with the RI and HDMI (the manual is a bit vague on this). I programmed remote codes for the CD player and they work except for the power on/off functions.

That's why I figured I needed to use the specific TV/CD input to get this to work.

Eish!

The receiver searches for audio for a given input selector in the following order of priority: HDMI, digital, analog. The digital inputs are assignable to any input selector (except AUX), but analog must be connected to the input jack with the name matching that of the input selector.

TV/CD would probably work best given your other connections, because (1) PORT will not give you analog rca and (2) AUX cannot have digital audio assigned to it.

You can however assign a separate digital in to TV/CD, you are not relegated to analog only (couldn't tell if that was your impression from your post). If your cd player has hdmi, you can even assign that for audio.

Not sure I understand your remote problem. Are you trying to use RIHD?
post #919 of 1629 Old 01-12-2011, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No dude, the Rotel is powering the front speakers so set the 708 speakers to 6 Ohm. You must be getting serious sound out of that though hey?

Thanks, I was thinking same but just wanted to confirm. Yeah, things sound pretty sweet right now but am at the point of tweaking crossovers etc. to tune a bit.

The Rotel is a RB-870BX (circa 1990) that has been sitting in my basement unused for over 10 years driving American Acoustics (old Mitek company from same time frame) DS1212 towers. The speakers have 2 12" woofers, 95 dB sensitivity, rated at 275W, 23H-22KHz. I think they sound great but will probably upgrade sometime this year if the bug hits.

Speaking of crossovers, Audyssey set the FL/FR to 40Hz x-over. I have an SVS PB12-NSD and am thinking this should be set higher (60-80 range)?

Anyone have thoughts on that? The manual states that Audyssey should be re-run if speaker setting are changed (x-over is in that section). if I bump up to 60-80 will Audyssey leave it there when I run through it again? Guess I'll find out soon enough but thought I'd ask.
post #920 of 1629 Old 01-12-2011, 04:33 AM

Quote:

Speaking of crossovers, Audyssey set the FL/FR to 40Hz x-over. I have an SVS PB12-NSD and am thinking this should be set higher (60-80 range)?

Anyone have thoughts on that? The manual states that Audyssey should be re-run if speaker setting are changed (x-over is in that section). if I bump up to 60-80 will Audyssey leave it there when I run through it again? Guess I'll find out soon enough but thought I'd ask.

You need to check the specs of your speakers because Audyssey incorrectly assigned a level that my brand new Polk speakers won't even get to so effectively there is a gap between what is sent to the LFE and what is sent to the speaker.

Audyssey is nice to get the distance and calibration levels correct but I would use common sense for the crossover levels.

Hey tinker around and see what sounds better.
post #921 of 1629 Old 01-12-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:

Not sure I understand your remote problem. Are you trying to use RIHD?

It's a fairly old six CD changer that only has optic and analog outputs but it has this RI (remote interactive) port where you can plug in a male-male mono headphone cable to essentially get commands from the AVR.

I used to choose CD mode on my old Onkyo 600 and then Power Off and this worked but for some reason it's not doing the same on the 708. Not serious, I will see if the new remote will learn from the old one.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
post #922 of 1629 Old 01-12-2011, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You need to check the specs of your speakers because Audyssey incorrectly assigned a level that my brand new Polk speakers won't even get to so effectively there is a gap between what is sent to the LFE and what is sent to the speaker.

Audyssey is nice to get the distance and calibration levels correct but I would use common sense for the crossover levels.

Hey tinker around and see what sounds better.
Would it be correct to say that I could change and listen to different x-over settings for the FL/FR speakers via the speaker set-up menu WITHOUT having to re-run Audyssey every time I change it, and wait to re-run once I settle in on where it sounds best?

Sorry for what might appear to be some very NEWB questions but this is the first new system I've bought in 20 years and am still learning all the nuances.
post #923 of 1629 Old 01-12-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Would it be correct to say that I could change and listen to different x-over settings for the FL/FR speakers via the speaker set-up menu WITHOUT having to re-run Audyssey every time I change it, and wait to re-run once I settle in on where it sounds best?
Yes indeed. Just remember what the settings are and apply again once Audyssey has done its thing.

I just love the speaker popping sounds it makes. My dogs go crazy.
post #924 of 1629 Old 01-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Need to decide between the Onkyo 708 and the Denon 3310/990 (last year's model). 708 is $100 more to me. Denon's networking is said to be really flakey, but Onk's Faroudja processing is reported as inferior to Denon's ABT. Any recommendation? Thanks!

DS.
post #925 of 1629 Old 01-12-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:

I hope you're able to get more info. For me, this issue has cropped up only in the last few weeks. We can go an evening or two without the problem. My DVR is the Motorola DCH-3416. It works great with all content, including 3D. So, I don't know if the source is messing up and causing this audio drop issue, but it drives my wife crazy when it does occur. Of course, it may be possible that it IS my receiver - I haven't spent any time troubleshooting yet.
post #926 of 1629 Old 01-12-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Simpson View Post

Need to decide between the Onkyo 708 and the Denon 3310/990 (last year's model). 708 is $100 more to me. Denon's networking is said to be really flakey, but Onk's Faroudja processing is reported as inferior to Denon's ABT. Any recommendation? Thanks!

DS.

I will jump in on this one. I had an Onkyo TX-NR608, have an Onkyo TX-NR708 on my bench to do an install for somebody over the weekend, and own a Denon 3311ci. Now with the latest Okyko firmware updates, if I had to do it all over again, I would buy the Onk (probably an 808) over the Denon.

Yes the Denon's video processing is noticably better (but nowhere near night and day), and to me it sounds just slightly better. But, Denon's networking problems plagues last years models and this years models. The network card is prone to acting wonky and failing all together, and when this happens, since its attached to the HDMI board, it can even take the HDMI out with it.

Onkyo had much the same networking issues, but at least they are fixing them through regular firmware updates. My Denon's networking still works, but always has glitches that require unplugging cables, or the AVR, etc...

YMMV

Too many toys
post #927 of 1629 Old 01-12-2011, 04:20 PM

What is the purpose of the VCR/DVD output? I was thinking of connecting some wireless headphones here for listening to analog sources.

Are all the analog audio sources available thru this output? Also, does the unit control the volume of these outputs or is volume fixed, similar to a pre-out?

The receiver hasn't been delivered yet and the manual is a little sketchy re this output.

Thanks
post #928 of 1629 Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac3600 View Post

What is the purpose of the VCR/DVD output? I was thinking of connecting some wireless headphones here for listening to analog sources.

Are all the analog audio sources available thru this output? Also, does the unit control the volume of these outputs or is volume fixed, similar to a pre-out?

The receiver hasn't been delivered yet and the manual is a little sketchy re this output.

Thanks

It is a fixed, line level out meant for dubbing. It bypases processing and is hotter than the pre-out.

It will output whichever source is on the main set and is not selectable as the zone 2 is.
post #929 of 1629 Old 01-13-2011, 10:16 PM

I know this is little off topic, but I'm looking at the Onkyo site and cannot really tell what the main differences are between 708 vs. 808?

I know there's the power and powered 2/3rd-zones but that's about all I can see? Other than that they have the same Audyssey and certifications, right?
post #930 of 1629 Old 01-14-2011, 06:15 AM

the amp is beefed up quite a bit. look at the comparative weights of the units.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page