post #1081 of 1632 Old 02-12-2011, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzjagz View Post

which Onkyo receiver's have these pre-outs and which don't?

The TX-NR708 and higher model numbers (and HT-RC270) have pre outs. Just check the specifications at onkyo.com to make sure.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1632 Old 02-12-2011, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to the site the correct mics have silver tips. My mic that seems to not be working correctly has a silver tip. Thanks for the info though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post

So we have defective mics out there? You got a link?

post #1083 of 1632 Old 02-12-2011, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

See attached.

Freakin' Awesome. Explicitly clear, no room for argument or ambiguity

Thnx!
post #1084 of 1632 Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thnx!

The ambiguity discussed several pages ago, which needed clarification based on the statement coming to a member from an Onkyo service rep that said they didn't, was whether the preouts worked with digital sources .

Duly clarified in an afternoon! They do. Which only makes sense.
post #1085 of 1632 Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 AM

FYI. For those with iPhones, the Onkyo remote app is now available in the app store.
post #1086 of 1632 Old 02-12-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Reset my TX-NR708, re-ran MultEQ and re-measured the subwoofer pre-outs with and without MultEQ (crossover was set to 200Hz):

Looks much better but makes me wonder what has caused the initial problem.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #1087 of 1632 Old 02-12-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Thnx!

I was listing my old Onkyo on Ebay recently, and my wife wanted to know why I was using a picture of the back of it. I told her that when I buy a receiver, that's the only picture I really need. It explains almost everything in a single picture!
post #1088 of 1632 Old 02-12-2011, 09:03 AM

Liked: 11
thanks for your efforts and posts.

For those of us less technically inclined, would you mind interpreting the various charts?

Thx!.
post #1089 of 1632 Old 02-12-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatoboy View Post

Hey Joe,

I would set the crossover @ 80hz for the mains and center being this is what THX recommends. I know your speakers are able to go lower (I have the Classic 3's) but lower frequencies should be handled by the sub. Run Audyssey and then go to Speaker Setup, Speaker Config. and change the settings. Also change the LFE to 80 or 90hz and you should be good to go. If you find the bass overwhelming you can easily hit the Home button and adjust for each program.

Ran through the Audyssey setup this morning. It was much easier and faster than I expected. It set my front L/R to 40Hz(!), and the center and surrounds to 50Hz. I bumped them all up to 80Hz. So far, it seems like it did a great job. The sub sounds great -- not oppressive at all, so now I don't think I have to worry about turning it down to avoid bothering the neighbors...

I'm off to watch a movie...
post #1090 of 1632 Old 02-12-2011, 06:55 PM

Just got my 708 set up today. Did the Audyssey setup then made some manual adjustments. It's working really well!

One question, though -- a temperature probe placed on top of the unit reads 100 degrees at the center of the top of the unit, 92 degrees off to the left where it seems to stay cooler. This is after several hours of use.

Should I be concerned?
post #1091 of 1632 Old 02-12-2011, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Reset my TX-NR708, re-ran MultEQ and re-measured the subwoofer pre-outs with and without MultEQ (crossover was set to 200Hz):

Looks much better but makes me wonder what has caused the initial problem.

Markus, following are the REW graphs I said I'd run for you. Looks like you may have made progress on yours.

Please let me know what you think of these...kind of strange the downward slope of my sub with increase in frequency, but maybe that's normal?

From what I can tell, my UCA202 is properly calibrated.

Sub and mains with and without EQ

Sub only with and without EQ

Sub preout from 708 with and without EQ.

Floyd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1092 of 1632 Old 02-13-2011, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Floyd. Could you also check the second subwoofer pre out if it behaves any different?

Did you switch off Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume? Is Double Bass off? What's the crossover frequency of the mains? Which input did you use for the test signal? What listening mode was selected for that input?

Markus

post #1093 of 1632 Old 02-13-2011, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Floyd. Could you also check the second subwoofer pre out if it behaves any different?

Did you switch off Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume? Is Double Bass off? What's the crossover frequency of the mains? Which input did you use for the test signal? What listening mode was selected for that input?
I'll try to measure the other sub output. When I say "no EQ" it is with Audyssey off (Eq OFF), dyn eq and dyn vol both off, as well as double bass off. Crossovers are at 80hz. I used right channel for everything (UCA202, Aux input at 708 front panel). Standard stereo listening mode.

Do these look "normal" to you?

Floyd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1094 of 1632 Old 02-13-2011, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Markus...the second sub output mirrors the first (I'll spare everyone the graphs).

Floyd

post #1095 of 1632 Old 02-13-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto View Post
I'll try to measure the other sub output. When I say "no EQ" it is with Audyssey off (Eq OFF), dyn eq and dyn vol both off, as well as double bass off. Crossovers are at 80hz. I used right channel for everything (UCA202, Aux input at 708 front panel). Standard stereo listening mode.

Do these look "normal" to you?
Looks like MultEQ in your 708 is working. The last graph is very strange. Is some kind of filter applied by the RadioShack meter? What's the frequency resolution of your graphs (hit "IR Windows")? It should be 1Hz or lower and depends on the length of the impuls.

Markus

post #1096 of 1632 Old 02-13-2011, 09:53 AM

Has anyone had any luck controlling the NR-708's volume with a DirecTV HD-DVR remote (model RC65RX) I've tried several codes, but the volume control still moves the TV volume, not the AVR volume....
post #1097 of 1632 Old 02-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hi folks,

Can you go into the receiver's Setup menu and enter in the make & model of each piece of equipment you have connected, and effectively let the receiver program the remote for you using the Onkyo Internet-based database? Or do you have to use control codes like in the 608 and lower models? I know for sure that the 808, 1008, 3008, and 5008 let you use the Onkyo Internet-based database which makes programming the remote just a little easier, since you don't have to fuss as much with learning commands.

Thank you ever so much folks if you can find the time to let me know how it works in the 708.

Sincerely.
post #1098 of 1632 Old 02-14-2011, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbutton View Post

Has anyone had any luck controlling the NR-708's volume with a DirecTV HD-DVR remote (model RC65RX) I've tried several codes, but the volume control still moves the TV volume, not the AVR volume....

Check the owners manual of your DVR and there is a way (I have DISH and I'm assuming it's the same) to set your remote so that it operates the AVR volume when in Satellite mode. Shouldn't be that difficult. The default is to operate the TV volume when in Sat mode. These products are aimed at the masses who just listen to TV through their TV speakers.

Dave
post #1099 of 1632 Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 AM

Liked: 25
Just ordered my TX NR708 and I should have it by the end of this week.

I will be set-up with the following for my 5.1 system and would like input from all of you on what to look out for during set-up.

All of the speakers in the system are Paradigm Reference Studio's Except for the sub.

I will use the onboard amp for the Center and Rears.

My Fronts are Studio 60's. (I will use the pre-outs and power these with my power amp)

Center is CC V2

Rears are Studio 20's.

I have a SVS PB12 NSD for the Sub.

Thanks for all the info!
post #1100 of 1632 Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 PM

I'm convinced that the sound quality from the preouts is not as good as having the source connected directly to my external amp. When I run my CD straight into the external amp, the sound is dynamic, lively and a joy to listen to. When using the 708 preouts, there is definitely a loss of sound quality - the music doesn't sound as energetic and alive. I'm disappointed.
post #1101 of 1632 Old 02-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Onkyo applies a lot of settings by default that simply make no sense . . defeat the purpose of having a multichannel system (e.g. "All Channel Stereo" when a perfectly fine multichannel signal is available).
Holy cow! Can you expand on this? I got my 708 in December and this has been bugging the devil out of me. I've got my cable box sending 5.1 out through a distributed video system (digital coax + analog audio from wall jack to 708). Worked fine with the old B&K that the 708 replaced, but ever since I hooked it up, all I've been able to get is the "All Channel Stereo". How do I fix this?!?!?!?!? I've tried disconnecting the analog, but then I get nothing. I've been afraid it was the distribution amp, but it works fine with the B&K.
post #1102 of 1632 Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyHead View Post

I'm convinced that the sound quality from the preouts is not as good as having the source connected directly to my external amp. When I run my CD straight into the external amp, the sound is dynamic, lively and a joy to listen to. When using the 708 preouts, there is definitely a loss of sound quality - the music doesn't sound as energetic and alive. I'm disappointed.

I doubt that. Any processing by the AVR? Which listening mode?

Markus

post #1103 of 1632 Old 02-15-2011, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

Holy cow! Can you expand on this? I got my 708 in December and this has been bugging the devil out of me. I've got my cable box sending 5.1 out through a distributed video system (digital coax + analog audio from wall jack to 708). Worked fine with the old B&K that the 708 replaced, but ever since I hooked it up, all I've been able to get is the "All Channel Stereo". How do I fix this?!?!?!?!? I've tried disconnecting the analog, but then I get nothing. I've been afraid it was the distribution amp, but it works fine with the B&K.

Go to the "Setup" menu, select "5. Listening Mode Preset", select one of the inputs then set...

Analog/PCM > Stereo
Mono/Multiplex Source > Mono
2ch Source > Stereo
Dolby D/ Dolby D+/TrueHD > Straight Decode
DTS/DTS-ES/DTS-HD > Straight Decode
Other Multich Source > Straight Decode

Repeat with all the inputs you use. Switch the AVR to standby and then back on again for the settings to take effect.

"Straight Decode" is why anyone would want to have an AVR. Onkyo doesn't even mention it in the manual...

Markus

post #1104 of 1632 Old 02-15-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:

Go to the "Setup" menu, select "5. Listening Mode Preset", select one of the inputs then set...

Analog/PCM > Stereo

So if I want say better sound out of my cable/sat box I can then cycle through the multiple listening modes to find something that I like? Are you perhaps saying that stereo is the best though? Would my sub still kick in when using stereo?

Thanks for the tips.
post #1105 of 1632 Old 02-15-2011, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagenuts View Post

So if I want say better sound out of my cable/sat box I can then cycle through the multiple listening modes to find something that I like? Are you perhaps saying that stereo is the best though? Would my sub still kick in when using stereo?

You can always cycle through the "listening modes" if you like to add effects. I just listed the modes that provide the most accurate reproduction.

If you receive a stereo signal then the stereo listening mode is the correct setting. The only exception is a 2 channel Dolby Surround signal. The correct listening mode would be PLII.
All processing (bass management, Audyssey, etc.) is still fully active in the stereo listening mode.

Markus

post #1106 of 1632 Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:

I doubt that. Any processing by the AVR? Which listening mode?

I'm a 90% music guy so it's in Stereo mode, no subwoofer. I didn't trust myself so I had my audiophile friend give me a second opinion. He felt the same way that output from the preout didn't sound as good, no matter how we mess with the EQ.

What's your experience?
post #1107 of 1632 Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyHead View Post

I'm a 90% music guy so it's in Stereo mode, no subwoofer. I didn't trust myself so I had my audiophile friend give me a second opinion. He felt the same way that output from the preout didn't sound as good, no matter how we mess with the EQ.

What's your experience?

You don't use a subwoofer? You should because this offers much better sound reproduction at lower frequencies.
Don't use the built in EQ, that's just a toy. Or did you run Audyssey?

Markus

post #1108 of 1632 Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"Straight Decode" is why anyone would want to have an AVR. Onkyo doesn't even mention it in the manual...

I noticed this too. I PCM the Playstation for Blueray playback and have the settings in the Onkyo set to "Straight Decode". Manual doesn't even mention it.

---------------------------------------
post #1109 of 1632 Old 02-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
What's correct, markus767, is a matter of personal opinion. I think most people using these receivers would prefer to apply PLII/x to any stereo source. It's certainly easier to set it up this way, and then forget about it, rather than switching when you suspect you're encountering a bona fide dolby surround sound source.

I should add I don't have the 708, but least with the 3008 and the 5008, I apply Pro Logic II to all stereo sources and prefer it that way. I don't find it to overwhelm my surround speakers and I quite like my center channel putting out the majority of the vocals.

My main interest in this thread is finding out if the 708 has the same method available of programming the remote as the 808 and above have -- 808 & higher have the ability to connect to a live Onkyo database on the Internet which contains better/more current remote control setup info. The 708 manual doesn't show this as being available, which I find hard to believe as it's also a networking receiver, but I can see Onkyo leaving it out to help differentiate the 708 from the 808. Just seeking confirmation that this feature is absent.
post #1110 of 1632 Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

My main interest in this thread is finding out if the 708 has the same method available of programming the remote as the 808 and above have -- 808 & higher have the ability to connect to a live Onkyo database on the Internet which contains better/more current remote control setup info. The 708 manual doesn't show this as being available, which I find hard to believe as it's also a networking receiver, but I can see Onkyo leaving it out to help differentiate the 708 from the 808. Just seeking confirmation that this feature is absent.

I have a TX-NR708 and don't recall having the ability to log into Onkyo's database for live remote codes. I don't recall having that ability with my HT RC-180 either. It's a very nice feature if your planning to upgrade to newer components in the future, but isn't that why we need to update the firmware periodically?
Biggz
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page