The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1631 Old 07-31-2010, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the tx-nr708 as a birthday gift and I'm relatively happy with it. However, the one thing I found not working (not what everyone else has reported) is that Audyssey doesn't work. I have a 5.1 setup and when it finds the Rear Right it has no problems, but then it plays the tone the Rear LEFT through the rear RIGHT speaker and then it fails. I tried a few combinations of the rear surround speakers but nothing seemed to work.

Anyone else have this problem? It's kind of annoying.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1631 Old 07-31-2010, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 128
For 5.1 setup make sure the two surround speakers are connected to "Surround Right" and Surround Left". And not "Surround Back Right" and "Surround Back Left".
post #93 of 1631 Old 07-31-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

For 5.1 setup make sure the two surround speakers are connected to "Surround Right" and Surround Left". And not "Surround Back Right" and "Surround Back Left".

Thank you! That did the trick!
post #94 of 1631 Old 08-01-2010, 08:54 AM

At least in my situation, I am fairly confident that the loss of speaker recognition problem is tied to the RIHD. I had it happen again this morning. I cycled the receiver three times with no luck. I then turned off ARC and RIHD and cycled the receiver again. This time I heard the amp kick on and the speakers showed up.
post #95 of 1631 Old 08-01-2010, 12:04 PM

Now that I have the system running right I just wanted to report, contrary to others here on this thread, that I really love this unit. I watched The Book Of Eli on my PS3 last night and this was the first time I had full surround in a long time. I didn't have a dts or Dolby EX system previously. I just had Dolby Digital 5.1 and a lot of movies are using dts nowadays so I only had 2 channel most of the time.

Also a lot of the scenes were really dark in the movie, especially on my Infocus X10 and after a while it became really annoying. I increased the brightness to +15 on the Onkyo and suddenly the darkness turned into shadows where I could see detail. I could see the entire room and what was in it instead of everything being in the dark. My Infocus couldn't adjust totally to see all this so this was the first time I've seen a dark movie turn into something that probably would have looked like in the theater. This unit may not be unique in that it can increase brightness and contrast, but it's my first and its made my home theater enjoyment so much better.

The only thing I'm not too thrilled about is the way zone 2 is handled with having to press "zone 2" first before doing anything on the panel. When I press "radio/TV" I also turn the surround system on zone 1 on unintentionally making my Martin Logan speakers sound terrible. Once I mute zone 1 then everything sounds normal.

Luckily for me I haven't run into any of the problems that others have reported and now that I got the configuration straightened out it has been a really enjoyable unit.
post #96 of 1631 Old 08-01-2010, 06:05 PM

Has anyone had the speakers cut out without having RIHD or ARC enabled?
post #97 of 1631 Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Isn't the 709 due out by the weekend?
post #98 of 1631 Old 08-02-2010, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo C View Post

Isn't the 709 due out by the weekend?

Yeah - just about the same time the 'deep' firmware update for your 2 year outdated prepro is due.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #99 of 1631 Old 08-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Has anybody tried streaming music from a network music library? Does it work? Can you stream from a Itunes library? Thanks
post #100 of 1631 Old 08-03-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock View Post

Has anybody tried streaming music from a network music library? Does it work? Can you stream from a Itunes library? Thanks

Tried, Windows Media Center Lib and works... I currently use PS3 Media Server as DLNA server and works fine, even decodes FLAC perfectly. I havent tried Itunes Library, as I am not very comfortable with iTunes.

Infact you can play iRadio, Network and USB connections to Zone 2 with different Audio in the main room.
post #101 of 1631 Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 AM

Just installed my 708 yesterday. While our internet is out thanks to a Comcat "upgrade" I was able to get it installed, and test it out with my iPhone, and DirecTV H20, and BluRay. Fantastic. Barely warm, pumping out sonic goodness. Big change from the Pioneer I installed that wouldn't sync with my PJ. Hopefully the cable guy gets me back online today so I can test the internet radio issues.

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

My Pic Intentive Build Thread
post #102 of 1631 Old 08-04-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdoggy View Post

Has anyone had problems with the 708 stuttering (both audio and video) while watching DirecTV with Dolby Digital enabled? It happens pretty frequently whenever Dolby Digital is enabled but completely stops whenever I go into the DirecTV receiver and disable it.

I have this with my DirecTV DVR. Haven't seen it with the BR player yet. It certainly happens more on some channels than others. I haven't tried turning off DD yet. Honestly, that's not an acceptable work-around for me.

We're selling our Photo Annuals and giving the proceeds to Curesearch so they can fight cancer in kids. Please have a look.
post #103 of 1631 Old 08-04-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crwaters View Post

I have this with my DirecTV DVR. Haven't seen it with the BR player yet. It certainly happens more on some channels than others. I haven't tried turning off DD yet. Honestly, that's not an acceptable work-around for me.

I don't disagree at all. I returned my unit and got an 808.

...Knock on wood, I haven't had the issue with the 808 yet.
post #104 of 1631 Old 08-04-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdoggy View Post

I don't disagree at all. I returned my unit and got an 808.

...Knock on wood, I haven't had the issue with the 808 yet.

Webdoggy how much larger is the 808 compared to the 708? I had to send my 708 back it went into standby mode (thermal overload protection?) and never came back. Sadly, I was really happy with it before that. I actually had none of the network problems that most have complained about. I had it pop into stand-by a couple times over a week long period and finally it went to standby and would not come back on even after a hard reset. I love the network features so I am kinda dead set on the Onkyo but I don't think I have enough room for the 808 website says it's 17" deep and I only have 16" in my Home Theater Console. I think I may have to go with another 708 unless those Onkyo's measurements are off on the website.
post #105 of 1631 Old 08-04-2010, 08:06 PM

Just ordered this receiver today. For those of you with some experience with amps, how is the amp section of the NR708? I'm wondering whether I should keep my Marantz MA-500 amps and use the NR708 as a pre/pro, or just sell them and use the built-in amps.

Simon
post #106 of 1631 Old 08-04-2010, 09:02 PM

Well, after 2-1/2 weeks of smooth operation (aside from the very common network issue), I experienced the dreaded lost audio issue. Tonight, while changing the channel (DVR) the audio dropped out completely while the video continued like nothing happened. Tried changing inputs, channels, unplugging HDMI cable, turning TV and receiver off and back on, etc., but the only fix was unplugging the receiver's power cord and plugging back in. I plan to contact Onkyo Support about this, but I wanted to know if anyone has had recurring instances of this issue (I've only seen it once so far) and if Onkyo has acknowledged that a problem exists and has a fix in the works (wishful thinking).
post #107 of 1631 Old 08-04-2010, 09:12 PM

No I had the same problem, everything worked fine but once it appeared it kept happening over and over. I returned the unit and waiting for the NR808 to come in hopefully it will not have it. I think they need to issue an update for this problem, and the flaky ethernet, sent an email to Onkyo stating the same thing.
post #108 of 1631 Old 08-05-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madadd View Post

Webdoggy how much larger is the 808 compared to the 708? I had to send my 708 back it went into standby mode (thermal overload protection?) and never came back. Sadly, I was really happy with it before that. I actually had none of the network problems that most have complained about. I had it pop into stand-by a couple times over a week long period and finally it went to standby and would not come back on even after a hard reset. I love the network features so I am kinda dead set on the Onkyo but I don't think I have enough room for the 808 website says it's 17" deep and I only have 16" in my Home Theater Console. I think I may have to go with another 708 unless those Onkyo's measurements are off on the website.

The 808 is about 2 inches bigger than the 708. I measured the 708 at around 13" deep while the 808 measures to between 15 and 16" deep.

It's about an inch taller as well.
post #109 of 1631 Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 AM

Anybody else having issues with the fat PS3?
When I touch the display button it says 2.0 pcm coming in.
But I'm defintely playing the 5.1 dts hd master track.
It seems that the Onkyo doesn't recognize it.
post #110 of 1631 Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbladez View Post

No I had the same problem, everything worked fine but once it appeared it kept happening over and over. I returned the unit and waiting for the NR808 to come in hopefully it will not have it. I think they need to issue an update for this problem, and the flaky ethernet, sent an email to Onkyo stating the same thing.

I spoke with Onkyo Support this morning. The answer I got was "This was the first I've heard of this problem". He asked if the unit was affected by a static discharge after walking across a carpet, but I explained that it occurred when my wife changed channels from 15 feet away. Anyway, the issue has been officially logged.
post #111 of 1631 Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 AM

webdoggy - how do u like 808 in comparison? Notice any problems with that unit thus far? Are the volume levels louder? I'm looking into the 808, Denon 3311 or maybe one of these new Yamahas. If I do get the 808, I'm waiting till there is a firmware update.
post #112 of 1631 Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillain9 View Post

webdoggy - how do u like 808 in comparison? Notice any problems with that unit thus far? Are the volume levels louder? I'm looking into the 808, Denon 3311 or maybe one of these new Yamahas. If I do get the 808, I'm waiting till there is a firmware update.

I'm interested in well between 708 and 808. Please share differences you noticed
post #113 of 1631 Old 08-05-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillain9 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ 3xclusive View Post

I'm interested in well between 708 and 808. Please share differences you noticed

I'm getting to it. Haven't spent as much time with the 808 yet to effectively review the differences...There is a difference in the sound between the two. The 808 seems to have more of a punch than the 708 did (I don't know how much of this is in my head...). I still listen to movies in the 60-70 range on volume though. The unit stays just as cool as the 708. I haven't had a problem with streaming from my pc, playing flac (or mp3) off of a harddrive, and I used Pandora once with no issues. I haven't experienced the stuttering that I was with the 708 while watching DirecTV yet, although I only remembered to turn Dolby Digital back on on the DirecTV receiver a day or so ago. I will update with any problems I run into. Any questions..ask away.
post #114 of 1631 Old 08-05-2010, 04:48 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman48 View Post

I spoke with Onkyo Support this morning. The answer I got was "This was the first I've heard of this problem". He asked if the unit was affected by a static discharge after walking across a carpet, but I explained that it occurred when my wife changed channels from 15 feet away. Anyway, the issue has been officially logged.

Was his name Bob? Because Bob told me "This was the first I've heard of this problem" yesterday, and I wrote him about it last Thursday. If it was someone else, Bob did not log this audio loss issue.
post #115 of 1631 Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

Was his name Bob? Because Bob told me "This was the first I've heard of this problem" yesterday, and I wrote him about it last Thursday. If it was someone else, Bob did not log this audio loss issue.

Sorry, but I didn't make note of his name. Eric was in their notes as the one who had logged my network issue last week. I'm toying with the idea og testing my luck with an exchange at Fry's before my 30 days are up this weekend. I'm torn because I love this receiver otherwise, not to mentioned I'd have to reprogram a new one... I'm also intrigued by the statement someone else made: their new 808 ran cool like their prior 708...my 708 runs HOT.

- Steve
post #116 of 1631 Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Sorry, but I didn't make note of his name. Eric was in their notes as the one who had logged my network issue last week. I'm toying with the idea og testing my luck with an exchange at Fry's before my 30 days are up this weekend. I'm torn because I love this receiver otherwise, not to mentioned I'd have to reprogram a new one... I'm also intrigued by the statement someone else made: their new 808 ran cool like their prior 708...my 708 runs HOT.

- Steve

I'm tempted to make the same switch. Support told me I needed to make a hard reset, losing all of my settings. If that didn't work, and they had no idea if it would, it has to be sent in to a repair center. They refused to exchange it.
post #117 of 1631 Old 08-05-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

I'm tempted to make the same switch. Support told me I needed to make a hard reset, losing all of my settings. If that didn't work, and they had no idea if it would, it has to be sent in to a repair center. They refused to exchange it.

As I mentioned last week, I suspect there will be a bunch of refurbs available soon, and yours and mine may be a couple of them... I just hope Fry's has another new one in stock to exchange.
post #118 of 1631 Old 08-05-2010, 10:21 PM

Just using 708 a week, have no any issue yet.
post #119 of 1631 Old 08-05-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutthilr View Post

Just using 708 a week, have no any issue yet.

When it works, it's an awesome receiver. It does everything I need and more. My speakers are 4 ohms, I like the network connectivity and I'm currently using 4 of the 7 HDMI inputs, including the front panel one, one component input (for Wii), in addition to CD and phono. Pandora sounds great and is easy to use, and I am not seeing any significant issue with the video processing yet. So, I hope I can easily get a replacement tomorrow!

By the way, does the back of your unit get very warm? I'm hoping my replacement is a bit cooler...
post #120 of 1631 Old 08-06-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:

When it works, it's an awesome receiver. It does everything I need and more. My speakers are 4 ohms, I like the network connectivity and I'm currently using 4 of the 7 HDMI inputs, including the front panel one, one component input (for Wii), in addition to CD and phono. Pandora sounds great and is easy to use, and I am not seeing any significant issue with the video processing yet. So, I hope I can easily get a replacement tomorrow!

By the way, does the back of your unit get very warm? I'm hoping my replacement is a bit cooler...

Like my old 606, a bit warm and not exactly above heatsink' PA, but I using 2 small computer case fans on top for pull out the heat air supplied with small ajustable voltage power supply for minimum noise. (room temp. 28-30 c)

Listening a MP3 song from USB drive, with Music Optimizer = Off give better sound!!, more life more dynamic, just wonder.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page