post #1441 of 1631 Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantaipan View Post

I'd really like to listen to audio from my AppleTV2 in Zone 2. From what I understand you can't stream external digital sources to Zone 2. Is there any way around this? I guess the main reason I'd like to do this is the easy to use interface into itunes from the Apple Remote app.

I see oRemote is adding an "AirPlay" option in a coming release which appears to be a source selection. Will this be enabled for the 708 or just newer models? If it is enabled will it be able to output to Zone 2?

EDIT rworne clarified the AirPlay functionality for me on the FB page which is essentially controlling a connected iOS device. Good to know.

If you want analog on Zone 2, I do not think an Apple TV 2 will work, since the outputs on that are HDMI and optical. I am not that familiar with the Airport Express, but I do believe that has analog outputs. So the airport express would need to be used for Zone 2 playback. For example:

1. Connect AP Express to the desired input, let's call it "PHONO" in this case.
2. Set the AppleTV/Airport Express input in oRemote's settings to "PHONO"

The AirPlay button appears in oRemote. If this is pressed, the AVR switches to the PHONO input.

3. Tap "Library" and select your songs.
4. Tap "Done" and your selection(s) start playing.
5. If not set, change the output to your AirPlay device.

The song info displays on oRemote like other streaming sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1631 Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks rworne, the airport express would work however it is quite pricey for what I want it for. I'm wondering if the atv2 outputs audio through the toslink connection simultaneous to HDMI (can't remember if I had to set that up). If it does, I should be able to use one of these digital to analog converters (link) and run it to a separate input on the AVR when I want to use ATV2 for music playback on Zone 2.
post #1443 of 1631 Old 06-11-2011, 07:49 AM

I'm looking for a little help with the NR708. Is it possible to listen to audio from one input while displaying video from another input? For example, if I want to listen to my iPod from the AUX input while watching TV from the CBL/SAT input? Thanks in advance!
post #1444 of 1631 Old 06-11-2011, 12:57 PM

I don't think this is possible. Sorry.
post #1445 of 1631 Old 06-11-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliano View Post

I'm looking for a little help with the NR708. Is it possible to listen to audio from one input while displaying video from another input? For example, if I want to listen to my iPod from the AUX input while watching TV from the CBL/SAT input? Thanks in advance!

Hi Baliano, you can achieve this by connecting the iPod to "TV/CD input on back of the receiver.

On the remote, select your video souce "CBL/SAT" and then select audio source "TV/CD".
post #1446 of 1631 Old 06-11-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Baliano, you can achieve this by connecting the iPod to "TV/CD input on back of the receiver.

On the remote, select your video souce "CBL/SAT" and then select audio source "TV/CD".

Yeah, but then he has to re-assign it every time he wants to watch tv with sound! I think he wants to be able to have the option of watching tv or listening to music with the tv picture on "in the background".

The only way I can think of doing this semi-conveniently (without using a separate switcher to your display) is to assign no video to the iPod input, and always switch to that input after first selecting the input you use for watching tv. Since the Onkyo defaults to the last input used, the tv video would stay onscreen while you switched to the iPod audio. You'd probably want a universal remote to make it easier.

Or, if your cable box has multiple video outputs, you could hook one up for watching tv & the other for listening to music.
post #1447 of 1631 Old 06-11-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Yeah, but then he has to re-assign it every time he wants to watch tv with sound! I think he wants to be able to have the option of watching tv or listening to music with the tv picture on "in the background".

Hi thebard, no need to re-assign. Pressing the "CBL/SAT" button will still have the audio from that input. Additional press of "TV/CD" button would bypass the CBL/SAT" input audio.
post #1448 of 1631 Old 06-11-2011, 03:54 PM

Works like a charm! Thank you both very much!!!
post #1449 of 1631 Old 06-11-2011, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi thebard, no need to re-assign. Pressing the "CBL/SAT" button will still have the audio from that input. Additional press of "TV/CD" button would bypass the CBL/SAT" input audio.

What remote button presses are you using for this? Because when I select something from the "input selector", it switches to the default audio as assigned in the setup menu.

Unless you're saying what I said in the second paragraph of my post...
post #1450 of 1631 Old 06-11-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

What remote button presses are you using for this? Because when I select something from the "input selector", it switches to the default audio as assigned in the setup menu.

Unless you're saying what I said in the second paragraph of my post...

It worked when I did what you mentioned in your second paragraph.

Although I had not configured the "AUX" input before, it had a video input assigned, likely by default. Once I unassigned the video input, I am able to do what I needed by first selecting "CBL/SAT", then selecting "AUX". This lets me watch DirecTV and listen to the iPod at the same time.

I think that is what JChin is saying as well, it's just a little confusing the way he stated it. Again, thanks!
post #1451 of 1631 Old 06-12-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliano View Post

I think that is what JChin is saying as well, it's just a little confusing the way he stated it. Again, thanks!

Either way, just glad it's working for you. Enjoy!
post #1452 of 1631 Old 06-13-2011, 05:02 PM

After getting my 708 repaired a few weeks ago, it started auto-switching to CBL/SAT again. It wasn't as bad as the first time, but it did happen several times in one evening. So it went back to the repair shop (luckily, I have an authorized Onkyo repair shop about 25 minutes away). I took it in last Friday. Today they called and said Onkyo can't send them the repair part until Sept 30. Guy at the shop said it might have something to do with the tsunami, but I'm not a happy camper. (Sorry, didn't ask what part needed replacing.). Hope others have better luck than me.
post #1453 of 1631 Old 07-07-2011, 11:32 PM

@kuroyama Same here!!! This is the second time I sent it back to the repair shop in Santa Monica. The guy said apparently there's a recall now on that particular part (the guy said socket something, I didn't quite catch it) So I assume Onkyo has finally acknowledged that this is a widespread issue? But the part is backordered and it'll take weeks!!!

Yes, not a happy camper indeed! Extremely disappointed with Onkyo!!! I have a set of B&W that are just collecting dust most of the time...

I am seriously considering getting a Pioneer, now that they finally put in Pandora...

Warning: Surgeon General has determined that time spent listening to music is not deducted from lifespan.
post #1454 of 1631 Old 07-13-2011, 10:38 PM

FYI

Just to pass on (since I didn't know till recently) Onkyo has a press release about this model (and many more models, including Integra's) available at their website. Found this info on the "official 708 failure" thread here... (that's only part of the thread name really)... very interesting/disturbing info and opinions
post #1455 of 1631 Old 07-13-2011, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

FYI

Just to pass on (since I didn't know till recently) Onkyo has a press release about this model (and many more models, including Integra's) available at their website.

This one?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #1456 of 1631 Old 07-14-2011, 10:28 AM

I got my receiver back from the service center. They said they replaced a socket plus one other component. So far it's working fine 2 days and counting. Hope the fix sticks this time!

Warning: Surgeon General has determined that time spent listening to music is not deducted from lifespan.
post #1457 of 1631 Old 07-15-2011, 03:05 AM

Markus767... yup that's the press release!

Williamkusumo... socket plus one other component? Hopefully that component was the IDE cable they are replacing from the posts on the "failure" thread... plus one of the connectors (ie. socket). We are all sending our best wishes your way, hoping it truely is fixed. Questions though... how long was it at the service center... Was it a "regional" center... Looks like it was sent in due to the "rapid changing surround modes/spontaneously turning on/spontaneously changing to Cbl/Sat/remote-front panel not working/pulling the plug to shut it off" problems (or was there something else????) Thanks and keep us posted
post #1458 of 1631 Old 07-15-2011, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

At least Onkyo acknowledges the problem. Other manufacturers don't do that. Some examples:

My Philips TV creates sound drops in Dolby Digital audio streams. Philips tried to fix it for 8 months via firmware releases to no avail and then simply decided that the problem is solved. Of course the TV still shows the same error. A Sony TV works just fine.

All my posts at the Emotiva forum got deleted (and myself banned) when I made public that the bass management in their receiver was faulty.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #1459 of 1631 Old 07-15-2011, 02:56 PM

Family,
Having an issue using front aux HDMI....when plugged in I get no signal but can use rca on front with no problems. HDMI on all rears work fine. I have looked thru this post and I don't have the glaring issue of the front panel not working just hdmi.....any thoughts?
post #1460 of 1631 Old 07-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezufnoC View Post
Family,
Having an issue using front aux HDMI....when plugged in I get no signal but can use rca on front with no problems. HDMI on all rears work fine. I have looked thru this post and I don't have the glaring issue of the front panel not working just hdmi.....any thoughts?
It's probably broken. Have you downloaded the firmware updates? Maybe try a system reset.

---------------------------------------
post #1461 of 1631 Old 07-15-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Williamkusumo... socket plus one other component? Hopefully that component was the IDE cable they are replacing from the posts on the "failure" thread... plus one of the connectors (ie. socket). We are all sending our best wishes your way, hoping it truely is fixed. Questions though... how long was it at the service center... Was it a "regional" center... Looks like it was sent in due to the "rapid changing surround modes/spontaneously turning on/spontaneously changing to Cbl/Sat/remote-front panel not working/pulling the plug to shut it off" problems (or was there something else????) Thanks and keep us posted

AVTrauma, here's the exact detail:

Replaced:
Part# 2009991167UL - Socket, P7501
Part# 25056643 - Plugs, P7501A_P7501B

I want to verify with Onkyo though if this is indeed the right fix. (or if someone else have called Onkyo, could you confirm?)

It was at a local service center for almost a month. And yes, it's the exact problem described in the press release (rapid switching, remote/front panel buttons not working)

Well, 3 days and counting and it's still working. So crossing my fingers

post #1462 of 1631 Old 07-16-2011, 02:23 AM

Thanks for the update... and again, we are all with you in hoping things have been corrected. Interesting about the local center doing the repair when most have been told to send it to a regional center. I am dreading the arrival of my shipping box and label... I'm going thru AVR "withdrawl" already, but another month longer seems almost like forever. I'm to old for this!
post #1463 of 1631 Old 07-18-2011, 07:57 PM

williamkusumo -- I, too, got my receiver back last week and they replaced the same parts you listed. It all seems fine, except for one incident where the sound turned off momentarily while playing from my DirecTV dvr. I then switched to a live channel, which brought the audio back, and then rewound the program I had been watching and then the sound was fine.
post #1464 of 1631 Old 07-24-2011, 09:14 AM

Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread, but this is my receiver, so...

From what I can tell DLNA sucks in general. I've found that it plays tracks in song title alphabetical order (rather than track number) in every scenario unless I pick the album directly from all several thousand albums I have (which is, of course, annoying).

Suffering through that just to listen to an album, I can only ever get one song to play at a time. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
post #1465 of 1631 Old 07-24-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janzik View Post

Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread, but this is my receiver, so...

From what I can tell DLNA sucks in general. I've found that it plays tracks in song title alphabetical order (rather than track number) in every scenario unless I pick the album directly from all several thousand albums I have (which is, of course, annoying).

Suffering through that just to listen to an album, I can only ever get one song to play at a time. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

From my experience it will only play in alphabetical order like you are currently experiencing. I had to change the file names on my computer with the track number first. (01 - Song Title.mp3) Once I did this, my 708 played the tracks in order.
post #1466 of 1631 Old 07-24-2011, 01:09 PM

I was able to get the album's (which play in track order) to play more than one song. I had to turn on "Repeat Folder". You would think it would be able to play the whole folder and stop after the last song by default.
post #1467 of 1631 Old 07-26-2011, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hey guys, I would appreciate any help with this issue. Under Hardware setup, the "Network" and "Firmware update" options are grayed out for me. Why is that and how can I reverse that? FYI, I got my TX-NR708 as a Christmas gift and it just sat in its box until recently when I finally got the TV I wanted to hook it up to. Unbelievable, I know... Anyway, it probably has the firmware that this model shipped with back in December is what I'm saying, in case it makes a difference. Thanks.
post #1468 of 1631 Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myared View Post

Hey guys, I would appreciate any help with this issue. Under Hardware setup, the "Network" and "Firmware update" options are grayed out for me. Why is that and how can I reverse that? FYI, I got my TX-NR708 as a Christmas gift and it just sat in its box until recently when I finally got the TV I wanted to hook it up to. Unbelievable, I know... Anyway, it probably has the firmware that this model shipped with back in December is what I'm saying, in case it makes a difference. Thanks.

Have you hooked it up to your home network via the ethernet port, & properly configured it?
post #1469 of 1631 Old 07-26-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myared View Post

Hi myared, suggest to disconnect ethernet cable, wait about 30 seconds for it to show up and then reconnect ethernet cable.
post #1470 of 1631 Old 07-27-2011, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Hi myared, suggest to disconnect ethernet cable, wait about 30 seconds for it to show up and then reconnect ethernet cable.

I did and it worked! Great suggestion; I don't know why I didn't think of doing that on my own...

Guys, thank you so much for the replies. Gotta love this forum...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page