The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread - Page 53 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 1640 Old 10-13-2012, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my 708 for a couple of years and have always been frustrated with one thing and hope someone here can help me get around it.

I have a Onkyo TX-NR708, a Samsung HLT-6187 DLP TV and a Logitech Harmony One remote control. Everything is HDMI into the 708 and then to the TV. The only cables attached to the TV are a power cord and a HDMI cable. The Harmony One has one activity for each piece of equipment to play through the TV speakers only and another activity for each piece of equipment to play through the Surround Sound only. The activities for TV speakers only works fine. But when I want to listen through the surround sound, I get no Dolby, DTS, etc. until I go to the 708 Hardware/HDMI menu and change TV Speaker to Off.

This causes a whole new problem which is, if I leave TV Speaker Off selected on the 708 Hardware/HDMI menu, and I want to use the Harmony One's TV speakers only activity, the 708 powers back on when the activity is completed.

I realize that this is very convoluted but, in a nutshell, I want:

When using the Harmony One TV speaker only activity, the Harmony One to turn on the 708, switch to the correct input, turn back off, stay off and play audio through the TV speakers only.

When using the Harmony One Surround Sound activity, I want the Harmony One to turn on the 708, switch to the correct input and play whatever audio stream is input into the 708 through the Surround Sound speakers only.

Am I asking too much? You'd think that for $650, I could do what I'm asking.

I just had a brainstorm. If I had a IR command that would toggle the 708 Hardware/HDMI TV Speaker On/Off or a IR command to turn the 708 Hardware/HDMI TV Speaker On and another to turn the 708 Hardware/HDMI TV Speaker Off, I could make it work.

Thanks for listening. I look forward to someone pointing out the obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1640 Old 10-13-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterxx View Post

I've had my 708 for a couple of years and have always been frustrated with one thing and hope someone here can help me get around it.
I have a Onkyo TX-NR708, a Samsung HLT-6187 DLP TV and a Logitech Harmony One remote control. Everything is HDMI into the 708 and then to the TV. The only cables attached to the TV are a power cord and a HDMI cable. The Harmony One has one activity for each piece of equipment to play through the TV speakers only and another activity for each piece of equipment to play through the Surround Sound only. The activities for TV speakers only works fine. But when I want to listen through the surround sound, I get no Dolby, DTS, etc. until I go to the 708 Hardware/HDMI menu and change TV Speaker to Off.
This causes a whole new problem which is, if I leave TV Speaker Off selected on the 708 Hardware/HDMI menu, and I want to use the Harmony One's TV speakers only activity, the 708 powers back on when the activity is completed.
I realize that this is very convoluted but, in a nutshell, I want:
When using the Harmony One TV speaker only activity, the Harmony One to turn on the 708, switch to the correct input, turn back off, stay off and play audio through the TV speakers only.
When using the Harmony One Surround Sound activity, I want the Harmony One to turn on the 708, switch to the correct input and play whatever audio stream is input into the 708 through the Surround Sound speakers only.
Am I asking too much? You'd think that for $650, I could do what I'm asking.
I just had a brainstorm. If I had a IR command that would toggle the 708 Hardware/HDMI TV Speaker On/Off or a IR command to turn the 708 Hardware/HDMI TV Speaker On and another to turn the 708 Hardware/HDMI TV Speaker Off, I could make it work.
Thanks for listening. I look forward to someone pointing out the obvious.

I also have a Harmony One remote. You should be able to create a new command for the Onkyo to turn OFF the pass-through to the TV. It might take several steps, but it should be doable.

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #1563 of 1640 Old 10-13-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post

I also have a Harmony One remote. You should be able to create a new command for the Onkyo to turn OFF the pass-through to the TV. It might take several steps, but it should be doable.

If you're talking about setting up a multi-command macro to turn on the 708, enter setup, enter hardware, enter hdmi, change the state of TV Speaker and reverse all of this to get back to TV, I'm not sure if I'd want to do that. Too many things to go wrong while all of this is being attempted by the Harmony One.

If you're talking about something that would be easier, then I'm intrigued and want to hear more.
post #1564 of 1640 Old 10-13-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterxx View Post

If you're talking about setting up a multi-command macro to turn on the 708, enter setup, enter hardware, enter hdmi, change the state of TV Speaker and reverse all of this to get back to TV, I'm not sure if I'd want to do that. Too many things to go wrong while all of this is being attempted by the Harmony One.
If you're talking about something that would be easier, then I'm intrigued and want to hear more.

No, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. I simply don't see any other option as long as you want to switch back and forth between the TV speakers and your other speakers. As you know, programming the Harmony is web-based and pretty simple. Why not set up a new "Activity" and follow the steps you outlined? All you have to lose is the time it takes to set up a new "Activity".
Good Luck

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #1565 of 1640 Old 10-13-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post

No, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. I simply don't see any other option as long as you want to switch back and forth between the TV speakers and your other speakers. As you know, programming the Harmony is web-based and pretty simple. Why not set up a new "Activity" and follow the steps you outlined? All you have to lose is the time it takes to set up a new "Activity".
Good Luck

I hear you. I was just hoping for an easier soultion. If I don't get an easier solution, I guess I'll have to do a Harmony based macro.

Thanks for your reply.
post #1566 of 1640 Old 10-13-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterxx

Hi porterxx, curious is this just one source for tv speaker like a cable box? Why not connect the source with HDMI cable directly to tv and source with optical cable to 708. Then remap the Harmony One tv activity which should still be the same (except a different HDMI Input on the tv.
post #1567 of 1640 Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 PM

Hi everybody,

Just curious if anyone here uses their 708 with iTunes.

Mine works great with Windows Media Player, but I can't stand WPM in virtually every other respect. I came across this review the other day: (look at the review posted 3 OCT 2010), and this guy says he has it working with iTunes playlists located on his home server.

Has anyone done this? How exactly does that work? Thanks!
post #1568 of 1640 Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 PM

I've had this unit in storage almost fromt the time i got it new. I have an Oppo Blu Ray player that has multi channel RCA outs that I have hooked up to an older Onkyo AV receiver (1999?). I want to hook it up the same way on this newer Onkyo. But I cannot get this 708 to by pass all processing and simply amplify all 5.1 channels using the multichannel anaolg input.

It is as if only the main 2 channels are hooked up and I am going through all the listening modes and the channels are never discrete. Some modes nothing comes out of the center. When I toggle through the modes, "Multich" is never an option.

The old Onkyo has a "Multich" button on it that does exactly what I am looking for it to do.

Can someone please help me? I spent a good 2 hrs trying to get this working.

Thanks in advance!
post #1569 of 1640 Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 PM

Over 2 hours since i posted and I fianlly figured it out! Jesus FC they really make it difficult to figure out!!
post #1570 of 1640 Old 12-31-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Porterxx: attached is a hex code file (excel) from Onkyo for their AVRs/Receivers. It should provide direct access for practically all the TX-NR708 functions, incuding switching the inputs you want.

I don't have a Harmony remote, so I don't know how nice it plays with hex codes, but give it a go.

Onkyo Hex Codes.zip 179k .zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Onkyo Hex Codes.zip (179.2 KB, 15 views)
post #1571 of 1640 Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My 708 Just lost all sound out put. I haven't tried resetting it yet, (don't want to lose my features) any ideas?
Powered on and jump between inputs and nothing. I tried tuner as well. It lights up like its on just no sound. Its been intermittent , now its constant.
Zone 2 works fine.
post #1572 of 1640 Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM

Now Zone 2 is dead.
post #1573 of 1640 Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post

My 708 Just lost all sound out put. I haven't tried resetting it yet, (don't want to lose my features) any ideas?
Powered on and jump between inputs and nothing. I tried tuner as well. It lights up like its on just no sound. Its been intermittent , now its constant.
Zone 2 works fine.

When you say "it's been intermittent" do you mean you've had this problem in the past, but the sound returned? The fact that Zone 2 works is really strange. Frankly, I see no option but trying a reset (and that's a shot in the dark that's only 50-50).

I'm afraid you will be forced to send it in for service. One of mine bricked like that. Re-set didn't help. I even updated firmware. Zilch. Fortunately my dealer helped me and it was taken care of under warranty.

Good Luck.

Good Viewing,
John G

post #1574 of 1640 Old 01-14-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Porterxx: attached is a hex code file (excel) from Onkyo for their AVRs/Receivers. It should provide direct access for practically all the TX-NR708 functions, incuding switching the inputs you want.

I don't have a Harmony remote, so I don't know how nice it plays with hex codes, but give it a go.

Onkyo Hex Codes.zip 179k .zip file

I;ve got Harmony One and 101 Remotes working fine with the 708. Logitech has the 708 codes on their web-site.

Good Viewing,
John G

post #1575 of 1640 Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 AM

Reset no fix. Still under warranty but I don't feel like bird dogging it. Anyone interested in buying it? Going to get an Integra DTR 7.8rom a local dealer today.
http://www.integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=DTR-7.8&class=Receiver&p=f
post #1576 of 1640 Old 01-15-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reset no fix. Still under warranty but I don't feel like bird dogging it. Anyone interested in buying it? Going to get an Integra DTR 7.8rom a local dealer today.
http://www.integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=DTR-7.8&class=Receiver&p=f

If you have it repaired you can sell it. The warranty is usually not transferable.

Good Viewing,
John G

post #1577 of 1640 Old 01-15-2013, 11:14 AM

It sounds like the problem is chronic according to reviews.
post #1578 of 1640 Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Zone 2 works fine.
The same happened to mine about 6 weeks ago. For about the first 4 weeks, I would have to power it on for about an hour to warm up, then power it off and power it back on and then the speakers would light up and I would get sound. For the past 2 weeks I've tried, and not getting the speakers lit up, nor any sound anymore at all. + my 2 year warranty expired 3 months ago. Also tried the reset, which did not do anything. Funny thing, the HDMI board still works, it still outputs video to my TV. Also the internet connection in the menu is greyed out.
This scenerio is basicaly Onkyo's red ring of death.
post #1579 of 1640 Old 02-02-2013, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean l View Post

The same happened to mine about 6 weeks ago. For about the first 4 weeks, I would have to power it on for about an hour to warm up, then power it off and power it back on and then the speakers would light up and I would get sound. For the past 2 weeks I've tried, and not getting the speakers lit up, nor any sound anymore at all. + my 2 year warranty expired 3 months ago. Also tried the reset, which did not do anything. Funny thing, the HDMI board still works, it still outputs video to my TV. Also the internet connection in the menu is greyed out.
This scenerio is basicaly Onkyo's red ring of death.

Same thing happened to my 608, I believe it is the HDMI board. Some how they route all the sound through it. The cap fix may cure it. I will have to check my zone 2 to see if it works.

Wishing I could post in the Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

post #1580 of 1640 Old 02-04-2013, 02:12 PM

I have the same problem as well... Happened 5 months after 2 year warrany ran out. No sound, and network and USB does not work anymore.I found a service manual and checked the firmware on all the boards. DSP1st/NET and DSP2nd shows all "?????????" as firmware version. I guess it should show some version. The detailed version report is displayed by turning the receiver on, the hold down "Display" and press "On/Standby". Browse with the "tone +/-" button. You have to be fairly quick when browsing, it it only displayed for 3 seconds.

/Dan
post #1581 of 1640 Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 AM

Liked: 11
I recently have the no-sound issue as well. I created a new thread, but only after reading a lot of posts in this thread have I realized that it has been a common problem with this receiver. HDMI video works, but no sound on any input, plus no network connectivity, also Zone2 no longer works. It has worked flawlessly for the past 1.5 years until a couple of days ago.

For those that have had it serviced, what did it cost for repair? I'm trying to decide if I should bother getting it repaired, or buy a newer model. I think this has been a great receiver, but it really bums me out that it has given up the ghost so soon.
post #1582 of 1640 Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjunky View Post

I recently have the no-sound issue as well. I created a new thread, but only after reading a lot of posts in this thread have I realized that it has been a common problem with this receiver. HDMI video works, but no sound on any input, plus no network connectivity, also Zone2 no longer works. It has worked flawlessly for the past 1.5 years until a couple of days ago.

For those that have had it serviced, what did it cost for repair? I'm trying to decide if I should bother getting it repaired, or buy a newer model. I think this has been a great receiver, but it really bums me out that it has given up the ghost so soon.

I just experienced the same problem with my TX-NR808. I emailed ONKYO Parts & Service and they extended a one-time warranty repair at my local authorized service center. It ended up that a chip needed to be 'reflowed'...which I imagine meant that the connection was broken and they had to solder or replace. I may have this wrong, but I was told the repair was 'reflowed !C-3001'.

These units run very hot...so for me...maybe my ventilation was not adequate and the heating/cooling took its toll on the chip?? Maybe one of the techies on this forum knows more about this issue.
post #1583 of 1640 Old 02-12-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahook View Post

I have the same problem as well... Happened 5 months after 2 year warrany ran out. No sound, and network and USB does not work anymore.I found a service manual and checked the firmware on all the boards. DSP1st/NET and DSP2nd shows all "?????????" as firmware version. I guess it should show some version. The detailed version report is displayed by turning the receiver on, the hold down "Display" and press "On/Standby". Browse with the "tone +/-" button. You have to be fairly quick when browsing, it it only displayed for 3 seconds.

/Dan

My DSP1st/NET and DSP2nd also show all "??????????". Have you looked into any repair options?
post #1584 of 1640 Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 AM

Looks like I am not alone. Onkyo should have seriously had a recal on these units or extended the warranty. They must be aware of these issues. Unexcusable Onkyo. I've since replaced mine with a Yamaha RX-A820. Anybody wanna buy a oversized paper weight?
post #1585 of 1640 Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 AM

Anybody have a 708 that still functions properly?
post #1586 of 1640 Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Fortunately, mine still works when used for the occasional family "movie night", but I've cut back on using it routinely due to the issues identified in threads here on AVSF. It works, but the real question remains "for how long". I have to be honest, I would probably change my answer in the "would you buy Onkyo again" thread from "Maybe" to "Definitely not" due to ongoing problems with subsequent models in the following years since the 708 came out. Especially if this one tanks, and there will be no support from Onkyo to repair/replace the faulty HDMI board. I will press for them doing something, since the press release stated they will fix units, even when out of warranty. CS for this company did repair the unit once, but it is obvious QC is something that is seriously lacking. Some may flame me for this, stating all manufacturers have problems (which I agree, they do) and Onkyo sells more units than any other manufacturer, so the failure rate is due to volume of units sold... but this ignores the wide spread problem across multiple models in the x08/x008 line and includes thier flagship/premier Integra line.
John Hanselman likes this.
post #1587 of 1640 Old 02-22-2013, 03:46 PM

Just a little update in my situation. I tried the reflow bake method a couple of times with no success. I actually got back the network and firmware functionality, and was hopeful it might have worked, but alas, the speakers still did not work. So off to an authorized repair center I went.

Dropped it off and paid $50 to have a tech. diagnose it. Several days later talking to the tech., sure enough, it's the DSP processor that lies on the HDMI board, a common repair he's done several times on this model. Total cost for repair, plus the $50 I already gave them, is $420. Ouch! I said hold it a day or so while I decide to either have it fixed or buy a new amp (was leaning toward the latter).

I gave Onkyo a call to see if they could do anything, not expecting much. After explaining my problem, the support tech. at Onkyo said to email their parts division (parts at us.onkyo.com)., and they would get back to me hopefully within a week. So I shot off an email saying I have the same problem everyone else has had with this model, it's less than two years old, out of warranty as I bought it open box, yadda yadda. Again I didn't expect much. I even asked if I could buy they board and install it myself to save a little cash, knowing this was probably not an option.

Much to my surprise, I got an email back a day later saying they will give me an extended one-time warranty repair, and have it repaired at the service center I already dropped it off with! Sweet! I also asked if they have corrected the issue, and he said he thinks they are using a board with better capacitors in it to correct the problem going forward. Hopefully that's the case.

Anyways, when I thought that I was going to buy a new amp, even started to look at different brands, Onkyo pulled through for me. I hope to have it back sometime next week. So for anyone else also having this problem, it might behoove you to email their parts division and see if they'll help you out. Good luck!
John Hanselman likes this.
post #1588 of 1640 Old 02-23-2013, 11:45 AM

Sent mine in about 6 months after purchasing it - has now been two years and no issues since then. My 708's problem was also the fried HDMI board. The replacement board has had no issues, except my computer now thinks it's talking to a NR1007. Doesn't affect anything, just a little weird. Maybe that's the model my new board was originally made for.
post #1589 of 1640 Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 AM

Onkyo 708 bought 1 year 11 months ago decided that it was no longer playing sound out of Zone 1. Speaker icons not displaying on the unit. The Firmware and Network options are grayed out. Calling Onkyo this morning. frown.gif

(edit: Called Onkyo and they had a 30 minute wait time, so I used their web form to make a call back appointment within the hour. Crossing fingers).

(edit 2: Onkyo called me back just now and I explained what was up and he asked how long I had the receiver and he sent me to one of their repair facilities about 35 miles away from me. I'll set up a repair appointment with them, when they open at 10am).
post #1590 of 1640 Old 03-17-2013, 09:44 PM

I've tried posting this elsewhere, without much help--hoping someone here has successfully resolved a similar issue...

I've had a Onkyo TX-NR708 for a couple years. I ran Audyssey successfully when I first got the receiver. However, I just bought a completely new set of speakers (JBL ES series) and I'm having trouble re-running the Audyssey set-up. My first few attempts failed with Audyssey failing to detect a speaker--but it was not always the same speaker. Sometimes it failed on the FL, sometimes center, sometimes FR.

So I did a full reset on the receiver. Now, when I run Audyssey, only a single chirp will sound for FL (rather than the usual series of chirps), and the system goes silent. Then, a few seconds later, I get the speaker detect error screen. This happens every single time now. I cannot get last that first, single chirp.

I'm getting sound just fine from all speakers, and the test tones in manual set-up play just fine.

I went ahead and ordered a new mic from Onkyo. Interestingly, although I ordered the mic for this specific model, the new mic is black in color (the one the came with my receiver was silver).

However, as I feared, I get the exact same issue--Audyssey quits after a single "chirp" in the left front speaker, and then goes to a speaker detect error screen.

Anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page