post #1591 of 1632 Old 03-18-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcoffin View Post

I've tried posting this elsewhere, without much help--hoping someone here has successfully resolved a similar issue...

I've had a Onkyo TX-NR708 for a couple years. I ran Audyssey successfully when I first got the receiver. However, I just bought a completely new set of speakers (JBL ES series) and I'm having trouble re-running the Audyssey set-up. My first few attempts failed with Audyssey failing to detect a speaker--but it was not always the same speaker. Sometimes it failed on the FL, sometimes center, sometimes FR.

So I did a full reset on the receiver. Now, when I run Audyssey, only a single chirp will sound for FL (rather than the usual series of chirps), and the system goes silent. Then, a few seconds later, I get the speaker detect error screen. This happens every single time now. I cannot get last that first, single chirp.

I'm getting sound just fine from all speakers, and the test tones in manual set-up play just fine.

I went ahead and ordered a new mic from Onkyo. Interestingly, although I ordered the mic for this specific model, the new mic is black in color (the one the came with my receiver was silver).

However, as I feared, I get the exact same issue--Audyssey quits after a single "chirp" in the left front speaker, and then goes to a speaker detect error screen.

Anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting this?

Hi Andrew, from reading your post it appears you've done all the logical troubleshooting. IMO, the mic is not at fault. If it was you'd likely has odd readings with other speakers, not the same one all the time. At this point you have 2 options: flash/update the receiver's firmware, or send it in for service/repair. Since service/repair will likely involve flashing the firmware again, you might as well give it a try at home. WARNING: flashing or updating the firmware is not a difficult task, but you will lose any/all settings on your receiver and will need to perform a complete setup. Write down any unique settings you have before updating the firmware. After you update the firmware, run Audyssey and see if that solved the problem. If it didn't you'll need to send it in for service.
Good Luck!

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1632 Old 03-18-2013, 06:55 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post

Hi Andrew, from reading your post it appears you've done all the logical troubleshooting. IMO, the mic is not at fault. If it was you'd likely has odd readings with other speakers, not the same one all the time. At this point you have 2 options: flash/update the receiver's firmware, or send it in for service/repair. Since service/repair will likely involve flashing the firmware again, you might as well give it a try at home. WARNING: flashing or updating the firmware is not a difficult task, but you will lose any/all settings on your receiver and will need to perform a complete setup. Write down any unique settings you have before updating the firmware. After you update the firmware, run Audyssey and see if that solved the problem. If it didn't you'll need to send it in for service.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the help. How do I go about flashing the firmware? The receiver is connected to my network, and is updated to the latest firmware available. Is there some way to reinstall the current firmware?
post #1593 of 1632 Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 AM

Hi,

Owned 708 for almost 30months now, but just yesterday, 708 just won't start and standby is flashing red light. I read the manual and it says its protection circuit is activated. I searched the problem on the net, and it's probably due to short circuit. And there's a burnt smell on the upper right side near the volume knob and the upper corner near the ethernet terminal.

I can't say its because of old age hehehe. But i think its because of my improper care for the past two days. I just can't figure what caused it... is it because i tried to connect/disconnect HDMI and RCA cables while its off but its power cable still connected to power outlet, or is it because I reduced 708's space from approx. 10inches height clearance to approx 3 inches and played 7 hours and 10 hours for two consecutive days respectively. The room is airconditioned but aircon unit is on the opposite side of the wall about 27ft away. And I also connected my 708 to my newly arrived emotiva xpa3 (this was the reason i changed the height clearance... to accomodate the emotiva). I don't believe the emotiva caused it either.

I like onkyo. 708 is my 2nd. 503 is my 1st and still ok. Now, I am already having second thoughts if I want to get 818 or give other Brands a chance due to what happened.

Can anyone enlighten me on this problem? What really is the reason it bogged down? I believe this can be repaired, but is it worth it? and how much?

Thanks.
post #1594 of 1632 Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalineblue View Post

Hi,

Owned 708 for almost 30months now, but just yesterday, 708 just won't start and standby is flashing red light. I read the manual and it says its protection circuit is activated. I searched the problem on the net, and it's probably due to short circuit. And there's a burnt smell on the upper right side near the volume knob and the upper corner near the ethernet terminal.

I can't say its because of old age hehehe. But i think its because of my improper care for the past two days. I just can't figure what caused it... is it because i tried to connect/disconnect HDMI and RCA cables while its off but its power cable still connected to power outlet, or is it because I reduced 708's space from approx. 10inches height clearance to approx 3 inches and played 7 hours and 10 hours for two consecutive days respectively. The room is airconditioned but aircon unit is on the opposite side of the wall about 27ft away. And I also connected my 708 to my newly arrived emotiva xpa3 (this was the reason i changed the height clearance... to accomodate the emotiva). I don't believe the emotiva caused it either.

I like onkyo. 708 is my 2nd. 503 is my 1st and still ok. Now, I am already having second thoughts if I want to get 818 or give other Brands a chance due to what happened.

Can anyone enlighten me on this problem? What really is the reason it bogged down? I believe this can be repaired, but is it worth it? and how much?

Thanks.

I'm thinking there's a decent chance it got too hot and a reset might restore it. With it powered on hold down VCR/DVR and press ON/STANDBY. Hopefully CLEAR will then appear on the display. You'll have to do all of your settings/calibrating again though. If it works get it some more breathing room and/or a cooling fan! Let us know if this helps.

Ed
post #1595 of 1632 Old 03-26-2013, 05:37 PM

Hi Ed,

I already tried it thrice in a span of 2 days. But still it activates it's protection circuit. I also tried pressing all the buttons in the front panel nothing happens except for the zone 2 button... "ZONE 2 in green color" appeared on the display then returned to protection circuit after 2 seconds.
post #1596 of 1632 Old 03-26-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalineblue View Post

Hi Ed,

I already tried it thrice in a span of 2 days. But still it activates it's protection circuit. I also tried pressing all the buttons in the front panel nothing happens except for the zone 2 button... "ZONE 2 in green color" appeared on the display then returned to protection circuit after 2 seconds.

Really sorry to hear that! Hope you find a solution that's affordable.

Ed
post #1597 of 1632 Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfocussvt View Post

Well, I just sold my old (yet trusty) Onkyo 706 and bought a 708 for less than $590 brand new!
So far I am as pleased as I can get. The salesman offered my an 808 for $100 more but I didn't think I needed any of the extra features (20 more watts, Zone 3, etc...)the 808 offered.

I just did the same a few days ago. I bought an LG 3D LED & BD player. I did not know my 706 would not pass the 3D signal. Now, I loved the 706, but went ahead & sold it on CL. Before I could really decide on what to buy, I came across a 708 at a local Thrift. Plugged it up & it seemed to work fine. I have not hooked up to the Internet yet. Not a big issue since I have a Smart TV. Did not have a remote, but I downloaded onto my Harmony 650. I have it hooked and after adjusting it, it seems to be running fine. I hope I don't have issues I have seen reading this thread. I will order a remote & update the firmware.
post #1598 of 1632 Old 05-10-2013, 03:16 PM

Well. Set my 708 up and been running fine for over a week now. One pleasant surprise when I hooked it up for ARC is that it talked to my LG LED TV and now when I use my cable box remote that was synced to turn on the box & the TV at one time, now turns on & off the 708 also, and controls the 708 volume. Cool. My wife loves having one remote. So far loving it. biggrin.gif
post #1599 of 1632 Old 05-29-2013, 11:49 AM

Still running fine. Had to have it serviced like others but been run absolutely fine ever since.

Have a good one,

neomaine
post #1600 of 1632 Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 PM

Anyone know what the subwoofer preout voltage is on these?

Panasonic TC P65s2
Onkyo TX-NR708
2 Beheringer EP2500's
4 Power Acoustik Mofo 15's (6.9 Cubes tuned to 18Hz). Cabinets still need to be built.
PS3/Xbox360
HDMI Set Top Box
Belkin PF60
1 Yamaha NS-C444
2 Yamaha NS-777
4 Yamaha NS-333
post #1601 of 1632 Old 10-31-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coda729 View Post

Is there a way to adjust the gain on the pre-outs? I am using an external amp for the front speakers and with the amp gains all the way up it sounds no louder than if I connected the speakers strait to the receiver. The amp is a QSC rmx-850. Any ideas?

I'd hate to bump my own post, but two years later, any body have ideas on this? I got more sound output by using speaker level inputs instead of the rca pre-outs. But I just got ahold of a more powerful amp which doesnt have line level inputs and have ran into the same issue with it. its seems like these amps just arent getting enough input signal thru the onkyo pre-outs
post #1602 of 1632 Old 11-01-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Two years? WOW! I've owned the 708 since it was first released, and use the preouts for my L-C-R channels (and the subs, of course). To my knowledge there is no way to boost the signal from the pre-outs. It would require new circuitry in the signal path. That would rather defeat the purpose of pre-outs. My external amps have their own gain controls and the signal from the Onkyo is sufficient. In fact, I only run the external amps at 3/4 volume since the Onkyo seems to be sending a sufficiently robust signal through the pre-outs. I'm not familiar with QSC. How old is the amp? I use the Onkyo's internal amps to power the rear and side surrounds.

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #1603 of 1632 Old 11-01-2013, 08:23 AM

Liked: 27
Hey guys! Is there a function on the 708 where you can set the bass on music and one for movies, so you don't have to keep adjusting both?

post #1604 of 1632 Old 11-02-2013, 08:26 AM

^^ Yeah that?

post #1605 of 1632 Old 11-04-2013, 03:04 PM

Bump

post #1606 of 1632 Old 11-06-2013, 06:58 AM

I guess not lol.

post #1607 of 1632 Old 11-12-2013, 10:43 AM

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

post #1608 of 1632 Old 11-13-2013, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My 708 will be delivered back to me today, after it's second time to the repair shop. 1st time was the harness/connector issue, this time for the HDMI Board replacement.

I decided to replace the 708 with an Outlaw 975 Pre/Pro in our home theater and use the 708 in the Den as a 2.1 setup with a separate power amp.

After what I have been reading it WILL fail again.

I have always been aware of giving this unit plenty of breathing room and have always had it on the top of the rack with nothing anywhere near the top of the unit.

I have always been a fan of Onkyo and Integra Products, you really blew it this time Onkyo..........................
post #1609 of 1632 Old 12-09-2013, 10:45 AM

After being in the shop 3 times for HDMI board issues my receiver went out again. This thing is a LEMON! I will never buy another Onkyo product again and I hope no one else does either.
post #1610 of 1632 Old 12-26-2013, 05:06 AM

I had a NR708 with the HDMI dead audio problem. Got a heat gun that went to 350 C and did the re-flow trick. Been working fine for a week now.
post #1611 of 1632 Old 12-26-2013, 07:16 PM

Could you please give a link or more detailed info about the the re-flow trick? I haven't had a problem so far with my 708 but I would like to have this info just in case.

Try as they might, they cannot steal your dreams.
post #1612 of 1632 Old 12-29-2013, 11:21 AM
D C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post

Could you please give a link or more detailed info about the the re-flow trick? I haven't had a problem so far with my 708 but I would like to have this info just in case.

I would like to know as well. I have scoured this site and not found any details on HOW to do a reflow. It's like Fight Club. Everyone knows about it, but nobody talks about it openly. smile.gif
The best I found was several references to a Youtube link that comes back as a private video.
post #1613 of 1632 Old 12-29-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post

I would like to know as well. I have scoured this site and not found any details on HOW to do a reflow. It's like Fight Club. Everyone knows about it, but nobody talks about it openly. smile.gif
The best I found was several references to a Youtube link that comes back as a private video.

Check out this post.
post #1614 of 1632 Old 12-31-2013, 06:09 PM
D C

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post

Check out this post.

Thanks.

The only issue I see is that the reflow procedure stated calls for 385F which is 196C. That's great.... for LEADED solder. But these boards use lead-free solder. My board says right on it "Sn-Ag-Cu"

The recommended reflow temperature profile for SnAgCu (according to this: http://www.ixys.com/Documents/DesignResource/REFLOW.pdf ) calls for a max temp of just over 240C, which is over 470F. The liquidus temp for SnAgCu is 271C/423F. So I would think that a reflow of the BGA should be at 425F rather than the 385F in order for things to reconnect properly.
post #1615 of 1632 Old 01-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Will the 708 recognize playlists on a usb hard drive? If so, what format (m3u, xml?), and where do I put them, in the root music folder, in a separate folder at the same level...?
post #1616 of 1632 Old 01-03-2014, 04:04 AM

??
post #1617 of 1632 Old 01-03-2014, 12:49 PM

One last attempt......

Will the 708 recognize playlists on a usb hard drive? If so, what format (m3u, xml?), and where do I put them, in the root music folder, in a separate folder at the same level...?
post #1618 of 1632 Old 02-21-2014, 05:01 AM

Hi guys
I'm sorry if this has been discussed but it seems quite difficult to search around, I have a TX-NR708 with a problem;
My image has a flickering issue and sometimes is just a flick really fast and sometimes it can be 2 seconds loose of image. I hate this when I'm gaming or watching sports. I hate seeing goals after they happen. Anyway, this happened since new but as I moved abroad and Onkyo didn't have a dealer or technical support close I decided to live with it. Now warranty is over and the problem is a lot worst and as loads of you I'm annoyed that a reputable company with good products has so many problems.
I read something about changing the capacitors but I've seen some got temporary results and some got worst problems.
I would really appreciate any experience and recommendation as I'm a little lost here,
Cheers
post #1619 of 1632 Old 02-21-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonchi View Post

Hi guys
I'm sorry if this has been discussed but it seems quite difficult to search around, I have a TX-NR708 with a problem;
My image has a flickering issue and sometimes is just a flick really fast and sometimes it can be 2 seconds loose of image. I hate this when I'm gaming or watching sports. I hate seeing goals after they happen. Anyway, this happened since new but as I moved abroad and Onkyo didn't have a dealer or technical support close I decided to live with it. Now warranty is over and the problem is a lot worst and as loads of you I'm annoyed that a reputable company with good products has so many problems.
I read something about changing the capacitors but I've seen some got temporary results and some got worst problems.
I would really appreciate any experience and recommendation as I'm a little lost here,
Cheers
\
Hello Gonchi, the problem you've described is likely to get worse, not better, until the receiver passes no video signal at all. I had a similar problem and Onkyo replaced an entire video board. At this juncture you have two options: send it to Onkyo or try a workaround. If your source components have more than one HDMI output, you could route one output directly to your display device, and the 2nd to the receiver. This will allow you to use the audio section of the receiver, bypassing its video processor/switcher. This is a fairly simple workaround if you primarily use one video source component. If you use multiple, you either switch cables or buy a switcher. Again, this requires two HDMI outputs from your source components.
Good Luck!

Good Viewing,
John G

post #1620 of 1632 Old 03-15-2014, 05:45 AM

Hi, I am new with this reciever together with JBL E90, E20, EC25 and LG plasma TV PM680S.

I have set 5.1 with bi-amping front speakers. Sound is beautifull. Arc audio from TV is working and when I switch TV on/off, reciever is also switched on/off. Only isue with this is that source on reciever is not set to TV but last used is use. Is there any seting to do it automaticaly?

And another quastion. When I listening iradio (vtuner) reciever display shows PLAY and time. If I press display, station name is displayed but playback is stoped. It is possible to have display station name during playing?

Thank you for your answers and help.

David

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page