AVS Forum banner

The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread

252K views 2K replies 320 participants last post by  Dat_90s_Hacker 
#1 ·
Can we get this one started as well since they've been shipping....mine has been performing OK with the VERY limited testing I've done. Only thing I've noticed so far is volume seems lower than expected based on dB setting.

#1,357 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnd Joe /forum/post/0

I'm thinking of buying the TX-NR708 should I or shouldn't I?

Currently looking at upgrading to a 3d reciever for future purchase of 3d-tv. I'm also thinking of

TX-NR609

TX-NR808 ( a bit expensive)

TX-SR608

Is having only 2EQ really that bad? My current Onkyo is TX-SR705

The 709 should be out pretty soon, and there's the option of the HT-RC models.

I don't know yet what the 709 will have over the 609, but for the 2011 models, it was pretty substantial.

#1,358 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 /forum/post/20284746

Remote was suddenly working last night but now today its not responding again.

WTF would cause intermittent remote sensor malfunction?

I am having the same problem, been through troubleshooting with Onkyo support. I tested the remote with another Onkyo product, in a store, and it works fine. My remote controls other components fine, TV, BD, etc. They (and me too) conclude its the sensor in the 708. Suggested I take it to a local service facility. Every so often the remote will work for a few minutes, but then reverts to working no further than a few inches from the sensor. I will pull the damn thing out and take it in for service, probably by the end of this week. GRRR

#1,359 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlynn /forum/post/20286168

I am having the same problem, been through troubleshooting with Onkyo support. I tested the remote with another Onkyo product, in a store, and it works fine. My remote controls other components fine, TV, BD, etc. They (and me too) conclude its the sensor in the 708. Suggested I take it to a local service facility. Every so often the remote will work for a few minutes, but then reverts to working no further than a few inches from the sensor. I will pull the damn thing out and take it in for service, probably by the end of this week. GRRR

I don't have a service center near me so I have to have mine shipped, does anyone know if Onkyo covers shipping costs for this kind of thing?

#1,360 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 /forum/post/20286207

I don't have a service center near me so I have to have mine shipped, does anyone know if Onkyo covers shipping costs for this kind of thing?

Unfortunately, no, they don't cover shipping to them, but will pay for return shipping back to you.
http://www.onkyousa.com/warranty.cfm

OBTAINING WARRANTY SERVICE:

To obtain warranty service, take or ship your Onkyo product to an Onkyo Authorized Service Center, together with a note describing your complaint and your copy of the dated purchase receipt. Please also include in any mailing a contact name, address and telephone number. If you choose to ship your Onkyo product to an Onkyo Authorized Service Center, all shipping arrangements must be made by you and all shipping charges and insurance must be fully prepaid. Any Onkyo product shipped in its entirety must be shipped in its original carton. Onkyo will pay all return shipping charges for Onkyo products that have been serviced under this warranty.

#1,361 ·
Hi all,

This forum has been a great tool as I research purchase of new A/V receiver. Thanks for all the info! Now I'm really close to buying the TX-NR708, but have a couple of questions that I can't find answered elsewhere on-line.

I will be running my TV sources through a Polk 5 speaker bar on an articulating mount under my TV along with a sub. It's less than optimal but forced due to room layout. For music, I have a set of NHT Absolute Zero bookshelf spkrs. 75% video/25% audio, non-critical listening.

I'd love to be able to do old-fashioned A/B speaker switching. But since 708 doesn't have it, I want to use Zone 2 instead. I realize that I lose DSX Wide speakers in this config, but can't have everything. I was very close to going with a Denon 2310 due to its A/B switch, but 708 seems a better buy and now the newer 2311 doesn't have A/B!

I'd like to run the sound bar and sub in 5.1 config when using TV/DVD/Blu-ray/Game and the NHT's in 2.1 config when listening to CD/Radio/Internet Radio.

Can I use my subwoofer for both Zone 2 and Zone 1 listening (obviously not at the same time)? I suppose the cross-over point would have to be common for the bar and the NHT's.

Can I have a two Audyssey profiles, one that is for Zone 2 to EQ the NHT's response? Or maybe I could have an Audyssey and a manual profile and have AVR switch depending on listening mode or source used?

Can listening mode selection include Zone 1 vs. Zone 2 settings? I.e. when I select CD as source, can AVR be set to use Zone 2 naturally as well as 2.1 config?

Does anyone know of a good A/B switcher with or without remote?

Eventually I'll add proper surround speakers and then I'd like to use the bar as a L+C+R + DSX wides which is why I may go with external A/B switch. Any comments on using a bar in this way?

Lot of questions, thanks in advance for your help. Any other advice/suggestions are welcome.

thanks,

Bryan

#1,362 ·
I recently purchased a TX-NR708 and BIC PL-200. The firmware is current. The problem I am facing is that Audyssey setup can not find the PL-200. No test tones are emitted from the subwoofer. I tried different cables and I have double checked the connections. I have searched using google and had not been able to figure what maybe the problem.

Any ideas on what I need to do?

#1,363 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4nkar /forum/post/20290863

I recently purchased a TX-NR708 and BIC PL-200. The firmware is current. The problem I am facing is that Audyssey setup can not find the PL-200. No test tones are emitted from the subwoofer. I tried different cables and I have double checked the connections. I have searched using google and had not been able to figure what maybe the problem.

Any ideas on what I need to do?

Hi a4nkar, some suggestion to check over and test.

- set subwoofer volume at half, phase to zero, crossover highest setting and toggle switch to Bypass or Out.

- turn subwoofer on (not auto)

- subwoofer indicator light is green (not red)

- sub cable connected to "Subwoofer Pre-Out" and not "Subwoofer Multi Channel In"

- removing the sub cable from the "Subwoofer Pre-Out" and rub your finger over the tip (should hear static from the sub)

- test subwoofer by connecting a portable CD player, DVD player, MP3 or iPod/iTouch player to subwoofer Line In (should hear bass)

- reset receiver microprocessor (if sub is assume good) and retry

#1,364 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_locklear /forum/post/20290191

Can I use my subwoofer for both Zone 2 and Zone 1 listening (obviously not at the same time)? I suppose the cross-over point would have to be common for the bar and the NHT's.

Can I have a two Audyssey profiles, one that is for Zone 2 to EQ the NHT's response? Or maybe I could have an Audyssey and a manual profile and have AVR switch depending on listening mode or source used?

Can listening mode selection include Zone 1 vs. Zone 2 settings? I.e. when I select CD as source, can AVR be set to use Zone 2 naturally as well as 2.1 config?

Bryan, sorry but Zone2 is just the two speakers with no profiling.

#1,365 ·
Is anybody else having a problem setting up their audyessey calibration. My speakers are only chirping 4 time instead of ten when I try to use the multi and only the front left speaker chirps at all. All the connections have been triple checked and I think the mic is goof because it picks up the sub dB.

Can anyone help?

#1,367 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilla1234 /forum/post/20189674

I would guess that there are some rogue IR signals in your room. Try moving all remotes out of the room and look to see if your tv or other devices still show they are receiving ir signals. Some screens kick out rogue ir, try experimenting with positioning.

Just a quick update, the problem is not with rogue IR. I tried blocking the IR port and it's still happening and one day, the receiver started constantly switching listening mode and it became unusable. I took it to a shop for repair (thankfully, still under warranty)

Now I am wondering if this is because I plugged the receiver directly to the wall outlet instead of a power surge protector (this is recommended by some people)

#1,368 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamkusumo /forum/post/20300320

Just a quick update, the problem is not with rogue IR. I tried blocking the IR port and it's still happening and one day, the receiver started constantly switching listening mode and it became unusable. I took it to a shop for repair (thankfully, still under warranty)

Now I am wondering if this is because I plugged the receiver directly to the wall outlet instead of a power surge protector (this is recommended by some people)

I don't think plugging it directly into the wall was the cause. My 708 has the same problems and was plugged into a surge protector.

Still no update on mine from the service shop. I'm calling over there tomorrow to get an update.

#1,369 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe /forum/post/20300533

I don't think plugging it directly into the wall was the cause. My 708 has the same problems and was plugged into a surge protector.

Still no update on mine from the service shop. I'm calling over there tomorrow to get an update.

Oh, it's good to hear this is not a freak problem. Is Onkyo this unreliable?? I would've gotten Pioneer Elite if they have Pandora built-in

#1,370 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/20291326

Hi a4nkar, some suggestion to check over and test.

- set subwoofer volume at half, phase to zero, crossover highest setting and toggle switch to Bypass or Out.

- turn subwoofer on (not auto)

- subwoofer indicator light is green (not red)

- sub cable connected to "Subwoofer Pre-Out" and not "Subwoofer Multi Channel In"

- removing the sub cable from the "Subwoofer Pre-Out" and rub your finger over the tip (should hear static from the sub)

- test subwoofer by connecting a portable CD player, DVD player, MP3 or iPod/iTouch player to subwoofer Line In (should hear bass)

- reset receiver microprocessor (if sub is assume good) and retry

Thanks for all the suggestions. The finger rub test did not work. So searched around in PL-200 forum and learned that a few people had a problem with connections to the driver. So I removed the amp plate and indeed the positive wire was disconnected from the driver. Upon hook-up, it seems to be working. Thanks again for your time and effort.

#1,371 ·
I bought my Onkyo and its been a couple of weeks. I am having an issue which i remember reading somewhere. Usually after an hour or two or may be more suddenly the receiver goes mute and no matter what i press no sound comes out. As soon as I restart my receiver its all normal. Anybody had this kinda issue before and if yes what did u guyz do to solve it. Any help is gladly appreciated.

#1,372 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamkusumo /forum/post/20300586

Oh, it's good to hear this is not a freak problem. Is Onkyo this unreliable?? I would've gotten Pioneer Elite if they have Pandora built-in

I am on my second 708. First died within a week or so of install. Randomly switching inputs, finally locked on CBL/SAT and would not turn off. Exchanged for replacement. 60 days later the replacement developed problems with remote. Not the remote itself, but the receiver. Onkyo said to take it in for repair. Then before I took it out of my system, it has developed the same problems as the first, came home from work yesterday to the receiver on (CBL/SAT) and it would not power down, from the front panel. Onkyo of course claims '1st we've heard of this' although they heard of it back in January when it happened to my first unit. After whining to J&R Music where I purchased it, they have agreed to accept the 2nd one back, despite being beyond their 30 day return policy. They agreed that 2 defective units within 90 days was a bit too much to bear. It goes back tomorrow. Not sure what I will get to replace it, but not a 708.

#1,373 ·
This is what I read on Amazon from where I bought my Receiver:

Item Under Review While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

Just 2 weeks in to the receiver and I am returning it since it goes mute intermittently and I havent found a way to fix the issue. Trying to figure out my next move

#1,376 ·
Sorry to hear about everyone's problems... mine has been preforming very nicely for me (so far!
) Grain of salt time, every manufacturing company has let bad one's slip thru the QA process. This product will have a "failure rate", I just hope it's not significantly high in comparision to the number of units produced. Yes, one can usually find some complaints on forums like this... (I'd be very vocal if my hard earned cash was spent on anything that did not preform as I had anticipated or envisioned.) My condolences to those who have suffered through one, if not multiple attempts at acquiring a functional 708. Remember, all things come to he who waits (or is forced to wait
)!

#1,377 ·
I had a question on using the PC input. I have one of the old generation PCs which dont have the HDMI connections, just the S video and VGA connection. When I connect my laptop to the receiver using the VGA connection for video and then use the stereo plug in the Aux input for sound I cannot get both the video and sound out of the receiver just one of them. If I select the VGA input I see the video on the screen but no sound and if i select the aux input i only hear sound and see no video. How can i get both video and sound out of my laptop ?