The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 1632 Old 04-21-2014, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I've had my 708 for several years, but now I want to connect it to dual subs with external amps and I need a way to switch the external amps on/off. The 708 has a Zone2 12V trigger but not a trigger for what I need to do.
I'm pretty good with a soldering iron so I feel comfortable rigging something. I just need to know where to tap into to get some voltage (either 5 - 12VDC or 110VAC) when the 708 is on. Anyone have a clue, or better yet, a schematic?

Try as they might, they cannot steal your dreams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1632 Old 04-26-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got my receiver back from the shop about a month back but due to renovations in my room I hadn't been able to plug it in. Just did and I am having big issues, sent it in for the hemisphere board and now it's losing signal with all my devices, doesn't recognize the ps3, it was working fine with the Apple TV now I have a green screen, cable box was working also a while back and now green screen. Anyone knows what the hell is going on? I was excited to finally use my surround and now this!!!!
post #1623 of 1632 Old 04-28-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycastane View Post

I got my receiver back from the shop about a month back but due to renovations in my room I hadn't been able to plug it in. Just did and I am having big issues, sent it in for the hemisphere board and now it's losing signal with all my devices, doesn't recognize the ps3, it was working fine with the Apple TV now I have a green screen, cable box was working also a while back and now green screen. Anyone knows what the hell is going on? I was excited to finally use my surround and now this!!!!

There are a lot of possible reasons for this, but the first thing I'd do is make sure the Video processor is set to "pass through". Check pages 22 and 43 of the Manual for instructions. It is quite possible that the Shop enabled the video processor and left it at some odd setting. Since the Receiver has been sitting idle, I recommend performing a factory reset. See page 84 of the manual. After going back to the factory defaults I'd go through the complete set-up procedure. Don't assume any settings "pre-service" are valid.
Good Luck

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #1624 of 1632 Old 04-28-2014, 12:27 PM

Actually i realized it was the hdmi cable, it was working before i sent it in but somehow stopped working. Thanks for the response anyways wink.gif
post #1625 of 1632 Old 05-01-2014, 02:29 AM

Thanks Johng
I have an update on this issue. I contacted Onkyo Europe and explained the situation. I emphasized this was a problem since I bought it and has worsen. The receiver is now 3 yrs old so the warranty was already out of date. Still Onkyo agreed to do a one off repair free of charge. It turned out that the HDMI board was faulty and they've replaced it. I have to emphasize that they've checked if I was the original buyer as they requested copy of purchase invoice. I have to say that on my particular case Onkyo was brilliant and gave me an outstanding customer service. let's pray now this won't fail again but I can see from the posts is a common problem and is something it happens often
post #1626 of 1632 Old 05-01-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonchi View Post

Thanks Johng
I have an update on this issue. I contacted Onkyo Europe and explained the situation. I emphasized this was a problem since I bought it and has worsen. The receiver is now 3 yrs old so the warranty was already out of date. Still Onkyo agreed to do a one off repair free of charge. It turned out that the HDMI board was faulty and they've replaced it. I have to emphasize that they've checked if I was the original buyer as they requested copy of purchase invoice. I have to say that on my particular case Onkyo was brilliant and gave me an outstanding customer service. let's pray now this won't fail again but I can see from the posts is a common problem and is something it happens often
\
I'm very glad to read that. When those HDMI boards go bad it is an expensive repair. It happened to me once, but they replaced in under warranty and all has been good since.

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #1627 of 1632 Old 05-04-2014, 01:20 AM

Similar ONKYO experience here. Faulty hdmi board replaced. My original purchase was a refurb unit and onkyo offered the repair at no cost, except shipping. They required a copy of my original invoice and it was purchased from an authorized onkyo dealer. Faulty engineering/manufacturing aside(not sure as to the source of the chronic hdmi problems for that generation of receivers), that offer on a refurb unit strikes me as generous. Their handling of this encourages me to continue doing business with them and I intend to do so. I have not had a recurrence of the problem, and I know that some owners have. My unit receives almost daily extended use. Going on over two years of this type of usage after the hdmi fix. To me that represents an amazingly well featured receiver at an amazing price, even with the interruption of its service. (and no, I do not work for the company or an onkyo dealer). I read that other owners haven't been as lucky. That being said, my luck is a result of onkyo's actions extended to me. Other companies with chronic problems are responding with much less generosity. By contrast, Samsung seems to be taking a less generous approach(denial, blaming the victim) to their plasma owners who experience internal screen cracks. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1330304/samsung-plasma-internal-crack-and-samsungs-response-ongoing

Receivers, like plasma tv's are complex things with many potential points failure. Onkyo now has a history of responding in a way that Samsung fails to emulate. This speaks well to onkyo's corporate behavior.
post #1628 of 1632 Old 05-04-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Toes View Post

Similar ONKYO experience here. Faulty hdmi board replaced. My original purchase was a refurb unit and onkyo offered the repair at no cost, except shipping. They required a copy of my original invoice and it was purchased from an authorized onkyo dealer. Faulty engineering/manufacturing aside(not sure as to the source of the chronic hdmi problems for that generation of receivers), that offer on a refurb unit strikes me as generous. Their handling of this encourages me to continue doing business with them and I intend to do so. I have not had a recurrence of the problem, and I know that some owners have. My unit receives almost daily extended use. Going on over two years of this type of usage after the hdmi fix. To me that represents an amazingly well featured receiver at an amazing price, even with the interruption of its service. (and no, I do not work for the company or an onkyo dealer). I read that other owners haven't been as lucky. That being said, my luck is a result of onkyo's actions extended to me. Other companies with chronic problems are responding with much less generosity. By contrast, Samsung seems to be taking a less generous approach(denial, blaming the victim) to their plasma owners who experience internal screen cracks. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1330304/samsung-plasma-internal-crack-and-samsungs-response-ongoing

Receivers, like plasma tv's are complex things with many potential points failure. Onkyo now has a history of responding in a way that Samsung fails to emulate. This speaks well to onkyo's corporate behavior.

One of my Clients is an Onkyo dealer. We were discussing some of the HDMI board failures discussed in this thread (I had one too). It was his opinion that the likely culprit was one component on the board. The boards are assembled from parts purchased from various subcontractors. We're talking about a lot of parts, and if one "batch" of a given part from a given subcontractor was subpar it would, over time, take the entire HDMI board down as a result. That explanation makes sense to me. So it's not really a "design flaw" or Onkyo's "fault", rather the result of purchasing a lot of parts from various vendors.. One "bad batch" and a problem is multiplied through an entire production run. The next run, with a different batch from the same vendor, might not experience the same problem.

Good Viewing,
John G

post #1629 of 1632 Old 05-15-2014, 02:43 PM

Has anyone encountered the display screen on the receiver going out? I received my receiver back from the shop for the board issue and it's been working fine for the past few weeks but I notice or realized that the display screen is black, no green letters. Anyone? I need some help
post #1630 of 1632 Old 08-16-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycastane View Post
Has anyone encountered the display screen on the receiver going out? I received my receiver back from the shop for the board issue and it's been working fine for the past few weeks but I notice or realized that the display screen is black, no green letters. Anyone? I need some help
Is listening mode in Pure Audio?
post #1631 of 1632 Old 08-16-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycastane View Post
I did encounter the same issue, check at the bottom of the remote there is a button i pressed and voila!!!

Im not home right now so i cant tell you but check and you will see which one is it.
post #1632 of 1632 Old 08-24-2014, 10:24 AM

Liked: 0
Red face

Hi all. Found this forum and learned that other folks were having problems with no audio from their TX-NR 708. Bought mine new in Sept. 2010. Sent an e-mail to parts@us.onkyo.com. They replied right away with this message :

At your request, I am sending you the following information regarding our Loss of Audio/Network Customer Care Program.

We would like to assist you. Please follow this link an supply the requested information to verify that your unit qualifies: http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php .

If your unit qualifies, a box and prepaid shipping label will be sent out. Please note that as part of the repair process, the firmware will be upgraded and all user settings will be reset to factory defaults. The average time for repair is 7-10 business days after the unit arrives at the service center.

PLEASE NOTE THAT IF ANY UNRELATED ISSUES ARE FOUND, YOU WILL BE CONTACTED WITH AN ESTIMATE TO HAVE THOSE ISSUES REPAIRED AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE, OR AS PROVIDED BY OUR STANDARD WARRANTY POLICY. PLEASE REVIEW THE LINK PROVIDED ABOVE FOR FURTHER DETAILS.

It's a special program concerning loss of audio/network program.
As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip
I'm awaiting my prepaid box back to a repair center. Saves me
a bunch of money.
Thanks ONKYO for standing behind their products.
Hopes this helps other folks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page