Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 1632 Old 08-10-2010, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightsc View Post

@saxman48- Do you have the 708 plugged into a router? The only time my 708 doesn't connect is when my router freezes (power cycling the router then power cycling the 708 restores connectivity). Since your second 708 is also not connecting to the network, I might suspect a problem upstream with your router or modem.

Thanks for the suggestion. My UN55C8000 TV and BDC6900 Blu-ray are connected to the same switch and have not had any issues with connecting. That switch is hardwired to my router that also runs two PCs and a wireless access point all with no issues. It is only the 708 that has the connection issues. I don't recall having to power cycle my router in recent years. Any other thoughts on this subject are much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1632 Old 08-11-2010, 09:07 AM

Hello all. I don't know if this is a new problem but I can't access any of the IRadio stations. I've had the receiver hooked up for about 4 days. I couldn't get it to connect to my network initially but finally got it to connect. It worked perfectly for the next 4 days. I could listen to Pandora or Slacker as well as stream music from the computer. Sounds fantastic by the way. I got home from work yesterday and it did not have a network connection. Finally got it to connect after a short while and now Pandora and Slacker both show it buffering but than say that it cannot play song. Meanwhile streaming from the computer works great. Of course i called the Onkyo no-help line and that's what I got. Has anybody seen this? Thanks in advance.
post #153 of 1632 Old 08-11-2010, 12:57 PM

Liked: 12
So my 708 came in today and I've had it hooked up in my home-office where I can listen to it (through headphones only) while connected to my network and easily run diagnostics with my computer should something go wrong. I've yet to have the network interface fail to initialize after standby.

However, the first thing I did when I started the unit was upgrade the firmware. My current firmware version is:

1031-0500-0010-2103

For those that are experiencing the problem, are you running the same firmware as me?

Why wattage does not matter.

(Disclaimer goes here)
post #154 of 1632 Old 08-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post

For those that are experiencing the problem, are you running the same firmware as me?

No, that firmware just came out today because I checked yesterday and there wasn't a new firmware yet. Naturally my unit won't install it. I just get an error 3-51. Guess I'll have to wait until they have it up on their site and try it through USB. At least my unit didn't get bricked by it.
post #155 of 1632 Old 08-11-2010, 03:23 PM

I just saw your message and downloaded the new firmware version 1031-0500-0010-2103. It took about 30 minutes, just like they said. It fixed the network problem.
post #156 of 1632 Old 08-11-2010, 04:08 PM

Here's what the update is suppose to fix:

Quote:

TX-NR708/808

* Stabilizes Network Upgrade when unit is not in [NET/USB] mode;
* Stabilizes "Now Initializing" process when in [NET/USB] mode;
* Improves the retrieval performance in preprogramming of remote controller codes for connected devices;
* Stabilizes operation immediately after power is turned on (addresses problem of no sound output after A/V receiver has been in Standby mode for an extended time with network control enabled);
* Displays a specific error message when any error occurs during Internet radio playback; Improves audio performance when Audio TV Out is set to On;
* Stabilizes picture output just after a source component (DVD player, VCR etc) connected via Component switches the output format between NTSC and PAL;
* Enhances the operability of NET-related functions;
* Improves appearance of On-Screen Display.

Here's the instructions on how to do the update.
post #157 of 1632 Old 08-11-2010, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just finished installing the new firmware, and it did NOT fix the network problem. If the Control setting in the Hardware/Network setup is not enabled, the receiver will not connect to the network after coming out of Standby unless the network cable is unplugged for at least 10 seconds.

When it is working, it has changed the behavior of iRadio. When starting up, instead of returning to the last state, whether that was the menu or playing a station, it only returns to the last station played. I do not see that as an improvement.
post #158 of 1632 Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 PM

This is great news I'd be interested to hear if this resolves a lot of the problems. I just got my second TX-NR708 in yesterday after my first one died a few days after I hooked it up. I'm really exited to get this up and running now with an update out.
post #159 of 1632 Old 08-11-2010, 06:06 PM

Same here. The network bug is still there unless Control is enabled. How is Onkyo NOT seeing this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

I just finished installing the new firmware, and it did NOT fix the network problem. If the Control setting in the Hardware/Network setup is not enabled, the receiver will not connect to the network after coming out of Standby unless the network cable is unplugged for at least 10 seconds.

When it is working, it has changed the behavior of iRadio. When starting up, instead of returning to the last state, whether that was the menu or playing a station, it only returns to the last station played. I do not see that as an improvement.

post #160 of 1632 Old 08-11-2010, 06:34 PM

I've been screwing around with all manner of input sources and whatnot since this afternoon. I've yet to encounter any issues. My setup:

* HDMI - Samsung HLP5063W (old DLP)
* HDMI - PS3 for BD/DVD
* HDMI - Comcast DVR (Motorola)
* Component - Wii
* Net - Apple AirPort Extreme + Netgear ProSafe Gigabit switch

(Disclaimer goes here)
post #161 of 1632 Old 08-11-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammr25 View Post

No, that firmware just came out today because I checked yesterday and there wasn't a new firmware yet. Naturally my unit won't install it. I just get an error 3-51. Guess I'll have to wait until they have it up on their site and try it through USB. At least my unit didn't get bricked by it.

i got the same error on the 808. tried twice.

sharp lc-46d92u
onkyo tx-nr808
post #162 of 1632 Old 08-11-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post

So my 708 came in today and I've had it hooked up in my home-office where I can listen to it (through headphones only) while connected to my network and easily run diagnostics with my computer should something go wrong. I've yet to have the network interface fail to initialize after standby.

However, the first thing I did when I started the unit was upgrade the firmware. My current firmware version is:

1031-0500-0010-2103

Is this update only for non-US models? I am not able to see in onkyo us website.
post #163 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 01:49 AM

Hi all,

I got the same error on an European Onkyo Receiver TX-NR808. I tried the two ways to update per network and USB. I got always the same display message: - Error!! 3-51
This error appears after the VSP-Setting... process.

Regards, Jasuonline
post #164 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi74 View Post

Is this update only for non-US models? I am not able to see in onkyo us website.

My US model updated using the network with no problems. My settings were preserved. It appears to fix the network initializing problem.
post #165 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 05:16 AM

US model here. Also got the error message after trying to do the update via the net.
post #166 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 05:50 AM

Hi

How do you get rid of that error 3-51? My receiver is displaying that error and I still have the audio of the selected source but no video. Besides the remote control is getting no response from the receiver.

Thanks
post #167 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laudou View Post

Hi

How do you get rid of that error 3-51? My receiver is displaying that error and I still have the audio of the selected source but no video. Besides the remote control is getting no response from the receiver.

Thanks

I had to turn my receiver off from the button on the receiver not the remote. It came back on fine after. I got the error also hopefully someone will call today and let us know what it means.
post #168 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madadd View Post

I had to turn my receiver off from the button on the receiver not the remote. It came back on fine after. I got the error also hopefully someone will call today and let us know what it means.

Thanks. That did it.
post #169 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 06:20 AM

I just got off the phone with support about the 3-51 issue. All the support rep did was ask me if I cleared the unit before attempting to updating the firmware. When I told him "Yes" he told me I'd have to take it to a service center. I guess I'm still fortunate because I live about 5 miles from 2 of them.

Now I guess I'll call the service centers and ask them what they do for a firmware update.
post #170 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 06:33 AM

I did the update through the OSD setup menu, so I'm not sure where it would be on their website. Sry.

(Disclaimer goes here)
post #171 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:

I just got off the phone with support about the 3-51 issue. All the support rep did was ask me if I cleared the unit before attempting to updating the firmware. When I told him "Yes" he told me I'd have to take it to a service center. I guess I'm still fortunate because I live about 5 miles from 2 of them.

What does "cleared the unit" mean?
post #172 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 07:01 AM

The firmware isn't listed at all on the US site. The European site has it listed and has the download up. I didn't try the USB version though because I didn't want to try installing a firmware update that was suppose to be for Europe only that would screw up my unit.

Here's a link to it on the European site: http://www.eu.onkyo.com/firmware/fir...en_8719306.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman48 View Post

What does "cleared the unit" mean?

I "cleared the unit" by turning on the receiver then holding down on the power button and dvd/vcr button at the same time until it had the message "Clear" on it. Then it turned itself off. I turned it back on and tried to update it. Of course if you do this you'll have to rerun Audyssey and everything else because it resets everything to the defaults.
post #173 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 07:27 AM

Coincidentally, I ran the firmware update before making any changes at all to my receiver setup, so the reset might be worth a try. Sucks that you'd have to do it, but I could see where it would help.

(Disclaimer goes here)
post #174 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 08:35 AM

It's up on the US website now http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=d I'm gonna try with the USB when I get home tonight maybe I will have more luck. I am not sure a hard reset will do any good since I tried the firmware update last night immediately after unpacking it and powering it on. I would assume it comes out of the box with it's default settings.

From the directions on the 3-51 error

Case 4:
If Error Code 3-51 is displayed, try the following procedure.
Disconnect the AC power cord then reconnect.
Start up the AV receiver, and select the NET/USB selector.
After the “Now Initializing” display has changed, perform the update again.
post #175 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 08:48 AM

you must select the mode/inpute "net/usb" on the remote control
than make the update and it will work
post #176 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 10:00 AM

I just got it to work by doing the following:

1. Resetting the Unit (wonder if this was necessary. Already lost my settings earlier so I didn't care)
2. Unplugging and replugging unit.
3. Set unit to NET/USB on the unit, not by using the remote.
4. Use the Setup, arrow keys and enter key on the unit, not the remote to go through the menus to get to the firmware update.
5. Download from the net and install the update.

Earlier I tried making sure NET/USB was on and it didn't work, probably because the Setup button on the remote won't work in NET/USB mode so I had to change it to NET/USB afterwards and hope. The setup button on the unit works for me no matter what mode the receiver is in.
post #177 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrollRobbins View Post

My US model updated using the network with no problems. My settings were preserved. It appears to fix the network initializing problem.

Mine works fine without any issues as of now. Worried applying the update might screw up things. Are you finding any difference after applying the update ?
post #178 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:

I just got it to work by doing the following:

1. Resetting the Unit (wonder if this was necessary. Already lost my settings earlier so I didn't care)
2. Unplugging and replugging unit.
3. Set unit to NET/USB on the unit, not by using the remote.
4. Use the Setup, arrow keys and enter key on the unit, not the remote to go through the menus to get to the firmware update.
5. Download from the net and install the update.

Earlier I tried making sure NET/USB was on and it didn't work, probably because the Setup button on the remote won't work in NET/USB mode so I had to change it to NET/USB afterwards and hope. The setup button on the unit works for me no matter what mode the receiver is in.

Although I haven't yet updated my 708, I noticed on pg 3 of the f/w update instructions that "The AV receiver will retain all your settings after update is finished." This tells me that a "reset" should not be necessary. Also, the only place the instructions mention selecting NET/USB when you're doing an update via network is when you get an Error Code 3-51.

My 1st step will be to disable network control before going to Hardware Setup. I have been using network control as a workaround for the network issue. The instructions also specify using the remote controller throughout the update process (unless, of course, you encounter errors).
post #179 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

I have the same problems, it will not connect, i have to pull the cable then it will connect.
As soon as i put the receiver in standby or switch to a different source it will loose the connection again.........
This unit is going back and i will receive (hopefull) tomorrow a new 708, if that unit has the same problems its bey bey Onkyo.
Firmware update did not solve the connection problem !

Looks like they are a sleep in Japan, this is an old problem thats mentioned many month ago also for other models.
Think Onkyo is just interested in producing as much units possible and forget to check them...........

Lest see what the new 708 will bring.
post #180 of 1632 Old 08-12-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

I have the same problems, it will not connect, i have to pull the cable then it will connect.
As soon as i put the receiver in standby or switch to a different source it will loose the connection again.........
This unit is going back and i will receive (hopefull) tomorrow a new 708, if that unit has the same problems its bey bey Onkyo.
Firmware update did not solve the connection problem !

Looks like they are a sleep in Japan, this is an old problem thats mentioned many month ago also for other models.
Think Onkyo is just interested in producing as much units possible and forget to check them...........

Lest see what the new 708 will bring.

I do not mean this to minimize the problem, but I am curious. How is your receiver connected to your network? Is it connected directly to your router, or are you using a switch or wireless bridge?

I'm only curious because I'm a network guy, and hoping to help out those who have the issue while Onkyo figures things out.

(Disclaimer goes here)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page