The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

balboa dave's Avatar balboa dave
12:07 AM Liked: 14
post #181 of 1636
08-13-2010 | Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post

I do not mean this to minimize the problem, but I am curious. How is your receiver connected to your network? Is it connected directly to your router, or are you using a switch or wireless bridge?

I'm only curious because I'm a network guy, and hoping to help out those who have the issue while Onkyo figures things out.

I have mine hooked up to a dual radio wireless N bridge, along with my Samsung Blu-ray player, TV and PlayStation 3. They do not have any network issues at all, but the Onkyo does.

Just to clear up any possible misunderstanding, when the network is working, it's rock solid, and the functionality is awesome. It's only this initialization bug that's been a problem.
CBdicX's Avatar CBdicX
12:26 AM Liked: 33
post #182 of 1636
08-13-2010 | Posts: 1,290
Quote:

I do not mean this to minimize the problem, but I am curious. How is your receiver connected to your network? Is it connected directly to your router, or are you using a switch or wireless bridge?

I'm only curious because I'm a network guy, and hoping to help out those who have the issue while Onkyo figures things out.

Its connected directly to the router.
Before the 708 i had the 3007 and this had some connecting problems from time to time but that had an easy way around the problem and that was never to start the receiver direct on NET/USB, first a different source and then NET/USB and no more problems.

The problem with the 708 is complete different, this will only make contact after the cable has been pulled and put back...............
And this every time after standby or source switch !

Sold the 3007 du to a static noise problem that never got fixed by Onkyo.
CBdicX's Avatar CBdicX
12:31 AM Liked: 33
post #183 of 1636
08-13-2010 | Posts: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

I have mine hooked up to a dual radio wireless N bridge, along with my Samsung Blu-ray player, TV and PlayStation 3. They do not have any network issues at all, but the Onkyo does.

Just to clear up any possible misunderstanding, when the network is working, it's rock solid, and the functionality is awesome. It's only this initialization bug that's been a problem.

I do not have a initialization problem, network is just not active.
When i go in the menu to network, network is light grey, when i pull the cable and put it back it turns white, so active again.
And this over and over again so this unit is going back............
(update did not solve this problem)
CarrollRobbins's Avatar CarrollRobbins
01:02 AM Liked: 10
post #184 of 1636
08-13-2010 | Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi74 View Post

Mine works fine without any issues as of now. Worried applying the update might screw up things. Are you finding any difference after applying the update ?

When playing an iradio station the display button stops playback now instead of just displaying the menu while playback continues. When returning to NET/USB it returns to what you were doing. So if you were playing an iradio station it starts playing that station instead of going to the menu. If you were playing a USB song it returns to playing that. If you were on a menu it returns to that.

I've never been able to connect to the web server in the receiver either before or after the update.
doobg's Avatar doobg
06:41 AM Liked: 10
post #185 of 1636
08-13-2010 | Posts: 4
I initially got the Error Code 3-51 upon my 1st try to upgrade the firmware. I followed Onkyo's intructions on what to do if you get that error and tried to update the firmware again and it worked. The update went smoothly and I'm happy to say it fixed the problems I had with iradio not working properly. I've also had no network connection problems so far.
saxman48's Avatar saxman48
07:50 AM Liked: 10
post #186 of 1636
08-13-2010 | Posts: 57
Quote:

I completed the f/w update this morning and, like others, I still have the same networking issue. When coming from Standby, it does the "Now initializing" thing, so I have to disconnect and reconnect the network cable, then all is well until the next Standby cycle.

I have the TV, Blu-ray and 708 hardwired to a 4-port switch located with the home theater system. The switch is hardwired to the router that is shared with two computers and a wireless access point. The only device that hiccups is the 708.

We should all submit this issue to Onkyo so that they know they did not fix it with the update.
bfocussvt's Avatar bfocussvt
06:43 PM Liked: 10
post #187 of 1636
08-13-2010 | Posts: 310
If I have 8-ohm speakers, what setting do I chose in the menu - 4-ohm or 6-ohm?
JChin's Avatar JChin
07:02 PM Liked: 140
post #188 of 1636
08-13-2010 | Posts: 8,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfocussvt View Post

If I have 8-ohm speakers, what setting do I chose in the menu - 4-ohm or 6-ohm?

Hi bfocussvt, set it to 6-ohms (see page 45 in OM).
bfocussvt's Avatar bfocussvt
07:58 PM Liked: 10
post #189 of 1636
08-13-2010 | Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi bfocussvt, set it to 6-ohms (see page 45 in OM).

Thanks. Didn't realize the answer was right in front of me.
01:08 AM Liked: 10
post #190 of 1636
08-14-2010 | Posts: 57
Incidentally, no problems watching Comcast3D programming from my DVR through the 708. Had Comcast enable my 3D channels tonight (SF Bay Area) and it worked great right from the start with the PGA Championship on the Comcast3D channel. Great surround sound as well.

Now, back to the network issue:
Funny thing, after watching the PGA in 3D for awhile, I tapped on the NET/USB button and iRadio worked right away. I was beginning to wonder if the network issue was fixed However, I turned off the 708 to go walk the dog. When I returned and powered up the 708, pushed NET/USB and.......yep, you got it - "Now initializing..." Oh well, I'll go back to using the network control feature for now.
hammr25's Avatar hammr25
07:29 PM Liked: 10
post #191 of 1636
08-14-2010 | Posts: 15
Today the sound stopped working on my 708 again. I used my Harmony remote to turn on everything. I heard the end of the Xbox 360 startup sound then the sound died again. At least instead of having to unplug the 708 I was simply able to turn it off with the remote and turn it back on. So it's better than it was.
tuxmask's Avatar tuxmask
10:54 AM Liked: 10
post #192 of 1636
08-16-2010 | Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman48 View Post

We should all submit this issue to Onkyo so that they know they did not fix it with the update.

I reply to Bob Elder's email stating the update did not fix the problem.
bradleyland's Avatar bradleyland
12:05 PM Liked: 12
post #193 of 1636
08-16-2010 | Posts: 209
I don't mean to rub salt in the wound of those who are experiencing issues, but I think it's important to hear the good with the bad. I've had my 708 since Wednesday the 11th and haven't had a single hiccup. Most of my other components are either pretty old (older DLP TV and the same Comcast Motorola DVR that they've been using for years) or very common (PS3) so that might have something to do with it, but it's been flawless.

I've been really impressed with how easy the receiver is to set up. It's rare to find a menu system in consumer electronics that makes sense. Everything is really logically organized, and is easy on the eyes. There aren't a lot of good photos of the menu system floating around, so I intend to take some photos and capture a video or two of the way the navigation works.
01:25 PM Liked: 10
post #194 of 1636
08-16-2010 | Posts: 57
Quote:

I don't mean to rub salt in the wound of those who are experiencing issues, but I think it's important to hear the good with the bad. I've had my 708 since Wednesday the 11th and haven't had a single hiccup. Most of my other components are either pretty old (older DLP TV and the same Comcast Motorola DVR that they've been using for years) or very common (PS3) so that might have something to do with it, but it's been flawless.

I've been really impressed with how easy the receiver is to set up. It's rare to find a menu system in consumer electronics that makes sense. Everything is really logically organized, and is easy on the eyes. There aren't a lot of good photos of the menu system floating around, so I intend to take some photos and capture a video or two of the way the navigation works.

Don't get me wrong. Despite the network issue, I am VERY happy with my 708. The Audyssey calibration is awesome and the ease of changing settings after calibration is appreciated (using Setup and the Home button). I like using Pandora, so I'm glad that we have the Network Control enabling feature as a workaround for the network issue. To me, the sound is fantastic, and I especially like the input assignment flexibility. I have 4-ohm speakers, so the this receiver fits my needs. AND, I am not experiencing any issues with video quality (the best I can tell).

I just want to make sure that Onkyo does not forget about those of us who have the network issue. Would I buy a 708 again? You bet I would Features, power, flexibility are all perfect for my needs.
madadd's Avatar madadd
02:06 PM Liked: 10
post #195 of 1636
08-16-2010 | Posts: 8
I was able to get the firmware update to work by unplugging the receiver and plugging it back in. I updated via the network and in all it took about 30 minutes. I have had no network issues or speaker disappearing problems however I did not have those issues on my previous 708 either it was returned because it just completely died after a week.

I am pretty happy with it thus far. I watched a movie via my PS3 and it sounded great. I watched a couple shows on TV and was having occasional audio dropouts however I do not think that is the receiver. I have a DirecTv DVR and from what I have read it does not play well with many receivers apparently. The dropouts where pretty random and well spread out (i can only remember 2 all weekend). I listened to music via the Net using the Vtuner for several hours without a single dropout and it had no problem seeing and playing my music on my server computer (WHS Veil OS).

My only complaint is the volume level and this is pretty minor. I have to turn the volume up to the 50's when watching TV normally around 55 or so. The difference from 55 to 60 is pretty significant so I have no doubt that it can get very loud if need be but just think it's kinda strange that I have to turn it up to 50 before I really start to hear anything. I am gonna try to rerun Auddesy setup and see if that maybe rectifies the situation.

I should add that I am networked through a wireless bridge and not directly to my wireless router. Bridge Netgear model# WNHDE111 bridged to Router Netgear model# WNDR3300.
a4toronto's Avatar a4toronto
03:39 PM Liked: 10
post #196 of 1636
08-16-2010 | Posts: 61
I'm happy too. Only complaint is the cloning sound when source goes from 5 channel to 2 channel. I set it to default to a 5 channel program but I would like it not to click in the first place
nathantw's Avatar nathantw
03:53 PM Liked: 10
post #197 of 1636
08-16-2010 | Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by fokton View Post

Anybody else having issues with the fat PS3?
When I touch the display button it says 2.0 pcm coming in.
But I'm defintely playing the 5.1 dts hd master track.
It seems that the Onkyo doesn't recognize it.

Hi, been using it with my PS3 (fat 80GB one) since the beginning and haven't had a problem. Did you try setting up your PS3 audio using automatic instead of manual? I let the PS3 figure everything out itself and so far, knock on wood, it's a pleasure to use.

Now if only they made the 2nd location speaker selection/usage a LOT easier. I think I'm going to hook my main speakers back up to my old amp/preamp. Onkyo made the setup unnecessarily complicated.
04:22 PM Liked: 10
post #198 of 1636
08-16-2010 | Posts: 109
I haven't had a chance to update my 708 yet. Went to the Onkyo site just now http://www.us.onkyo.com/download/software.cfm and saw that there's a firmware that was released on Friday the 13th. It's supposed to fix "now initializing" problem.
10:39 PM Liked: 14
post #199 of 1636
08-16-2010 | Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post

I haven't had a chance to update my 708 yet. Went to the Onkyo site just now http://www.us.onkyo.com/download/software.cfm and saw that there's a firmware that was released on Friday the 13th. It's supposed to fix "now initializing" problem.

If you read back in this thread, it was released on 8/11, and it does not fix the network issue, at least for several of us.
CarrollRobbins's Avatar CarrollRobbins
01:09 AM Liked: 10
post #200 of 1636
08-17-2010 | Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

If you read back in this thread, it was released on 8/11, and it does not fix the network issue, at least for several of us.

Although it does not fix the network initializing problem for everyone, it does fix it for some of us.
07:25 AM Liked: 10
post #201 of 1636
08-17-2010 | Posts: 109
I actually did see the previous notice that there was a release, but there were specific problems addressed listed on the webpage I posted. Since the firmware release stated it was from August 13th I figured that it was a newer one that was posted previously.
05:35 PM Liked: 14
post #202 of 1636
08-17-2010 | Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post

I actually did see the previous notice that there was a release, but there were specific problems addressed listed on the webpage I posted. Since the firmware release stated it was from August 13th I figured that it was a newer one that was posted previously.

I updated from my receiver, so I guess that was available before the file was posted on the web. It is the same version, 1031-0500-0010-2103.
leftnose's Avatar leftnose
08:59 PM Liked: 10
post #203 of 1636
08-17-2010 | Posts: 48
Those of you who are having the network issue, are you letting your DHCP server assign a dynamic IP address or setting a static address?

Granted, I've only been running my receiver for a week or so but I have not had any issues with networking. I did, however, assign a static IP address which makes sense to me to do on a piece of equipment like this. Pandora and connecting to my Win7 media server (static IP) work perfectly after numerous Standby/On cycles. I did upgrade my firmware but, obviously, that was no improvement. That's all I've done over my network and I have a feeling that's all I will ever do as the other current networking functions don't appeal to me.

I've got the receiver plugged into a D-Link DAP-1522 bridge (static IP address) which is connected to the 5 GHz radio of my Linksys E3000 running 11n only. Also connected to the DAP-1522 are my PS3, Xbox360, and Wii (static IPs). My media server is wired to the E3000.

Basically, I set-up my network such that all permanent devices are given static IP addresses. Laptops, netbooks, smart phones, tablets, etc. all get dynamic IPs from the E3000's DHCP server. This has worked well for me for a number of years.
Crwaters's Avatar Crwaters
05:24 AM Liked: 10
post #204 of 1636
08-18-2010 | Posts: 221
Still happy with my 708 with the exception of the intermittent audio drop-outs when watching the DirecTV DVR.
I can't say for sure who's at fault there. I did not have this problem with my old Sony receiver when using optical interconnects. One of these days I'll try running my old toslink cable from the DVR to the receiver to see if switching off the HDMI audio fixes the problem.
TripleFun's Avatar TripleFun
05:38 AM Liked: 18
post #205 of 1636
08-18-2010 | Posts: 77
I originally bought the SR608 and then upgraded to the NR708 for the network facility.

The amplifier on the NR708 is a noticeable improvement over the SR608 and almost as good as my old Marantz SR8500 but with much greater functionality and flexibility - the '5 zone' Audessey makes the 7.1 speaker setup a doddle.

The NR708 seems to run cooler than the SR608. I could not see a fan on the NR708 but there was definately one on the SR608. I have positioned an Antec cooler on the top of the receiver and it works well - very quiet and highly recommended. I use the 12v pin on the universal port and phono case earth to power the fan - the fan switches off when the amp goes in standby.

I use the 'diimmer' to soften the display and place a small blob of Blutak over the distracting bright 'blue' on light. I find that when using 'pure audio' the display switches off altogether which is excellent.

I have had no connectivity issues using both hdmi (1.4 cables) and network (gigabit switch). Also no audio dropouts.

In defence of onkyo I have also noticed a number of improvements resulting from the recent firmware upgrade including faster handshaking with my Samsung PS58C7000 and HTPC (GT240 video, Xonar deluxe audio), and improved upscaling of my composite TV cable input (I live in NZ).

Also on programming my Logitech Harmony remote I used the NR808 in preference to the SR708 [sic]. There are a number of codes missing which I had to manually capture. I also had to reprogam several entries. You can set up 'iRadio' and preselect channels.

I can see the internet radio channels on the PC but cannot add new ones - I can only update the channel id or delete.
CBdicX's Avatar CBdicX
08:35 AM Liked: 33
post #206 of 1636
08-18-2010 | Posts: 1,290
Can someone tell me what "straight decode" means, i can not find this audio mode setting in the manual........... (see pic)

THX

PS. still have the network problems with connecting
Only way around is the use of network control enabled.......
LL
hammr25's Avatar hammr25
02:50 PM Liked: 10
post #207 of 1636
08-18-2010 | Posts: 15
When I use straight decode the receiver leaves the audio in whatever format it came from whatever is attached to it. My 360 is always in Dolby Digital for example.
CBdicX's Avatar CBdicX
01:55 AM Liked: 33
post #208 of 1636
08-19-2010 | Posts: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammr25 View Post

When I use straight decode the receiver leaves the audio in whatever format it came from whatever is attached to it. My 360 is always in Dolby Digital for example.

So if i unerstand correct, when i have a BD with dtsHD it will do dtsHD and when it has TrueHD it will do TrueHD, automatic........... ?
Why is this audio mode not in the manual, or did i just not find it ?

THX
CBdicX's Avatar CBdicX
10:01 PM Liked: 33
post #209 of 1636
08-19-2010 | Posts: 1,290
I still do not know what to do, i have a few days left to return the 708 and get a full refund.
I am still not happy with the NET issue of not connecting.
The only way arround this is leave the 708 with Network Control on, but thats a bad thing for the electical bill
With this activated the 708 gets hand warm so is using a fair amount of power in keeping the Network active.

I like the 708, but do not like this way around the Net problem........
hazard0us's Avatar hazard0us
01:20 AM Liked: 10
post #210 of 1636
08-20-2010 | Posts: 51
Hi folks,

I work in a U.S. videogame development studio and we wanted to put together a "living room simulator" office so we could feel like we were listening to our game in a living room w/ sofa, big TV etc.. I chose the TX-NR708 (which works well with various consoles to decode their surround sound while playing games) because it has a multichannel input as well as a multichannel pre-amp output... nice and flexible. I have a Pro Tools connected to the multichannel input so that I can listen to six discrete tracks. I've chosen the "BD/DVD" input and got it in "Direct" listening mode so that it doesn't futz with our audio in any way.

The channel configuration I'm using is thus -
1 - front left
2 - front right
3 - center
4 - LFE
5 - surround left
6 - surround right

My problem is that the Onkyo doesn't seem to want to pay any attention to any of the multichannel inputs beyond the first two (front left & right). What can I do to get it to convey all six channels to the loudspeakers?

Is there a way to tell it that the BD/DVD input is a 6-channel multichannel source?

Thanks in advance -H

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread