The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

leftnose's Avatar leftnose
05:58 AM Liked: 10
post #211 of 1636
08-20-2010 | Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

I like the 708, but do not like this way around the Net problem........

Have you tried assigning a static IP to the receiver? I've done this since day one and never had a problem. I think the problem lies somewhere in the ability of the receiver to pull an IP address from a DHCP server and assigning a static gets around this.
CBdicX's Avatar CBdicX
07:18 AM Liked: 33
post #212 of 1636
08-20-2010 | Posts: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftnose View Post

Have you tried assigning a static IP to the receiver? I've done this since day one and never had a problem. I think the problem lies somewhere in the ability of the receiver to pull an IP address from a DHCP server and assigning a static gets around this.

Can you please explain how i must do this, step by step.......

I have vTuner and think the address is 74.86.56.147
This is the only address i can find on the Internet, but when i put the numbers in the setup menu and save them, the Onkyo gives an error that the server connection is bad........
CarrollRobbins's Avatar CarrollRobbins
10:29 AM Liked: 10
post #213 of 1636
08-20-2010 | Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Can you please explain how i must do this, step by step.......

On your computer open a command window and enter the command ipconfig. Note the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway.

On your receiver go into Network Setup. Disable DHCP. Set the first three numbers of IP Address to the first three numbers of Default Gateway and set the last number to 11. Eg., if your Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1 then your IP Address would be 192.168.0.11. Set the Subnet Mask on your receiver to the Subnet Mask from your computer. Set the Gateway on your receiver to the Default Gateway on your computer. Set the DNS Server on your receiver to the Default Gateway on your computer. Leave Proxy URL blank.
bradleyland's Avatar bradleyland
12:23 PM Liked: 12
post #214 of 1636
08-20-2010 | Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrollRobbins View Post

On your computer open a command window and enter the command ipconfig. Note the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway.

On your receiver go into Network Setup. Disable DHCP. Set the first three numbers of IP Address to the first three numbers of Default Gateway and set the last number to 11. Eg., if your Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1 then your IP Address would be 192.168.0.11. Set the Subnet Mask on your receiver to the Subnet Mask from your computer. Set the Gateway on your receiver to the Default Gateway on your computer. Set the DNS Server on your receiver to the Default Gateway on your computer. Leave Proxy URL blank.

So far so good, but what happens when his DHCP server tries to issue 192.168.0.11 to another device on his network? Then he has two devices that won't work. If you're going to use static IP addresses, you need to use an address that is not in the range that your DHCP server will issue.

CBdicX, IP addresses are actually very simple. An IP address is not unlike a phone number. The difference is that the digits in an IP address are separated by a dot (.) rather than a dash. So, imagine that every computer in your house has a phone number that starts with the same digits. Hypothetically, let's look at a network with a few devices:

Office Computer - 192.168.0.10
Kitchen Computer - 192.168.0.11
Laptop Computer - 192.168.0.12
Onkyo TX-NR78 - 192.168.0.13

If one computer wants to talk to another, it "calls" that IP address on the network. Your router is the "operator" on your network, and is often called the "default gateway". The "default gateway" is where calls are routed when they don't match the "subnet mask". In the case of most home networks, the subnet mask is the first three groups of numbers, so a call to 74.208.120.58 would fail to match the local subnet, and would be sent to the router to be passed along to the internet.

Back to your netowrk. Notice that the first three number groups are identical. Only the last set changes, and can range from 1-254. It's important to note that IP addresses do not need to be contiguous. The ending digits above could very well be 100, 104, 110, and 118. The "DHCP" server is just a means of automatically assigning IP addresses on a network. It manages IP "reservations" so that the same IP isn't used twice.

99% of home networks use a similar network configuration, so it's usually pretty safe to make some assumptions. One of those assumptions is that all the IP addresses on your network will have matching numbers in the first three groups. This is why you only need to change the last group.

If you know how to log in to your router, that is the best way to pick an IP address. You'll find a screen in your router that tells you what the DHCP address range is. Usually it's 1-100 or 100-150, or something similar. Just pick a number outside that range and go with that when configuring your receiver. That should eliminate any chance of conflict.
12:26 PM Liked: 12
post #215 of 1636
So I my new speakers finally came in, and it is soooooooo nice to have something other than those crap a$$ Bose to hook up to this receiver. I picked up a Jamo S506 HCS set of five speakers, and man am I happy. I'm hearing things I never heard before. When listening to music, I'm absolutely in love with the Pure Audio mode. Thom Yorke sounds like he's standing in my living room. Love it!
saxman48's Avatar saxman48
02:34 PM Liked: 10
post #216 of 1636
08-20-2010 | Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post

If you know how to log in to your router, that is the best way to pick an IP address. You'll find a screen in your router that tells you what the DHCP address range is. Usually it's 1-100 or 100-150, or something similar. Just pick a number outside that range and go with that when configuring your receiver. That should eliminate any chance of conflict.

Bradleyland, thanks for the detailed lesson. I suspect many of us are not network savvy, so this is likely to be of help to lots of us. I, for one, take DHCP for granted.

So once you've logged into the router and discovered the approriate range to avoid, is there any configuration that must then be made on the router itself?
hiphopraller's Avatar hiphopraller
06:06 PM Liked: 10
post #217 of 1636
08-20-2010 | Posts: 6
http://onkyosound.blogspot.com/
balboa dave's Avatar balboa dave
07:36 PM Liked: 14
post #218 of 1636
08-20-2010 | Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftnose View Post

Do you have Network Control Enabled or Disabled? I also tried this from day 1, and it did not fix the network problem I've been having. The latest firmware has not changed that, because I just had to test this once more, because I wanted you to be right, but needed to unplug and plug my network cable to get the network working again after coming out of standby.
08:58 PM Liked: 12
post #219 of 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman48 View Post

Bradleyland, thanks for the detailed lesson. I suspect many of us are not network savvy, so this is likely to be of help to lots of us. I, for one, take DHCP for granted.

So once you've logged into the router and discovered the approriate range to avoid, is there any configuration that must then be made on the router itself?

Not a problem

As far as additional router configuration, that's a no. You're good to go. DHCP is "hands off" for anything outside the IP distribution range, so you can fill 'er up I recommend keeping a list of IP addresses somewhere so you can remember what's where. Also, if you lose track, there's a handy utility called an IP scanner that can find devices on your network.
leftnose's Avatar leftnose
09:02 PM Liked: 10
post #220 of 1636
08-20-2010 | Posts: 48
If you are assigning static IPs, as above, be sure to assign them outside your DHCP pool and also be sure to assign each device unique IPs. Don't give two devices the same IP address. If you do and both are turned on, neither will work.
CBdicX's Avatar CBdicX
05:09 AM Liked: 33
post #221 of 1636
08-21-2010 | Posts: 1,290
Quote:

So far so good, but what happens when his DHCP server tries to issue 192.168.0.11 to another device on his network? Then he has two devices that won't work. If you're going to use static IP addresses, you need to use an address that is not in the range that your DHCP server will issue.

CBdicX, IP addresses are actually very simple. An IP address is not unlike a phone number. The difference is that the digits in an IP address are separated by a dot (.) rather than a dash. So, imagine that every computer in your house has a phone number that starts with the same digits. Hypothetically, let's look at a network with a few devices:.

THX for the clear info
I took the numbers that came up when i use DHCP and put then i the "static"
number line.
Only the first and last line needit to be edit so that was simple.
And indeed the Onkyo connects without any problems to vTuner.

But........................

Also with the static IP address to same problem, as soon as i put the Onkyo on standby it will not connect any more
I have to pull the cable and Network becomes active again after 10-15 seconds, so no differents with the use of DHCP.
(also strange is that when Network is not active (light gray) remote control is also not active !!)
So also with a static address i need to use Network Control but that leaves the Onkyo 24/7 bussy and is even on standby more then handwarm, and is using a lot of power just to keep "the line" open.........

So this unit is going back for a refund and i will look for an other brand.
I have had my share of problems with Onkyo, first a 3007 with static noise, now 2x 708 with Network problems.
Before the 3007 i had a 876, and that was 100% problem free, so think its all the exotic stuff where Onkyo is making mistakes now.
03:00 PM Liked: 12
post #222 of 1636
08-21-2010 | Posts: 209
Yeah, I don't think the network initializing issue is IP related, so not terribly surprising that a static IP doesn't fix it. One layer below IP addresses is the ethernet layer; called layer-2 in network terminology. DHCP, for example, is a hybrid layer 2/3 protocol, and from what it sounds like, it's failing for a lot of people. There is some unique combination of factors that is causing the issue, so I'm sure Onkyo has their hands full. Can't blame you a bit for going elsewhere. They need to feel the sting in order to dedicate the proper amount of resources to the problem.

Happy hunting for a new receiver
hammr25's Avatar hammr25
03:02 PM Liked: 10
post #223 of 1636
08-21-2010 | Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard0us View Post

Hi folks,

I work in a U.S. videogame development studio and we wanted to put together a "living room simulator" office so we could feel like we were listening to our game in a living room w/ sofa, big TV etc.. I chose the TX-NR708 (which works well with various consoles to decode their surround sound while playing games) because it has a multichannel input as well as a multichannel pre-amp output... nice and flexible. I have a Pro Tools connected to the multichannel input so that I can listen to six discrete tracks. I've chosen the "BD/DVD" input and got it in "Direct" listening mode so that it doesn't futz with our audio in any way.

The channel configuration I'm using is thus -
1 - front left
2 - front right
3 - center
4 - LFE
5 - surround left
6 - surround right

My problem is that the Onkyo doesn't seem to want to pay any attention to any of the multichannel inputs beyond the first two (front left & right). What can I do to get it to convey all six channels to the loudspeakers?

Is there a way to tell it that the BD/DVD input is a 6-channel multichannel source?

Thanks in advance -H

What does it say about the audio when you hit the "Display" button on your remote. It should tell you what type of audio it sees coming in and what format it is then sending out to the speakers.
bfocussvt's Avatar bfocussvt
09:48 AM Liked: 10
post #224 of 1636
08-22-2010 | Posts: 310
I too have the network issue on my second 708. Both have been updated with the latest firmware, both have tried static IPs and both have Network Control On. With network control on it still loses the network connection overnight or after leaving it off for a while.

Otherwise, great receiver. Just wondering if the extra money paid for a crippled network connection is worth it instead of the 608. I don't see myself using the network feature that much (but if its there it should work), though I like the other features (2 line display, slightly more power, etc) over the 608.

What do you all think? $548 for a 708 or $378 for a 608?
RichB's Avatar RichB
12:20 PM Liked: 277
post #225 of 1636
08-22-2010 | Posts: 8,905
It is not too surprising that fixed IP's do not work.
Before I returned 2 708's, I noticed that Windows 7 could find the 708's even when the network connection has failed.

I tried them in 2 network configurations. One was with a Linksys router set at the defaults. How can this problem be even remotely difficult to reproduce?

- Rich
01:55 PM Liked: 12
post #226 of 1636
08-22-2010 | Posts: 209
I've tried to reproduce it with an Apple Airport, a Linksys WRT54G, and a Belkin (don't remember the model). There's a lot more to networking than you can see from the surface.
02:04 PM Liked: 10
post #227 of 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

It is not too surprising that fixed IP's do not work.
Before I returned 2 708's, I noticed that Windows 7 could find the 708's even when the network connection has failed.

Funny, I noticed that too on a WinXP machine. On mine I could still see the 708 but could not connect to it.

Again, wondering if the extra two bills is worth all this headache or pocket the difference.
02:17 PM Liked: 12
post #228 of 1636
Well, it's worth noting that the 708 gets you more than just network. The big thing for me was Audyssey MultiEQ. The 608 only has 2EQ, which doesn't incorporate the subwoofer in the Audyssey setup.
RichB's Avatar RichB
04:27 PM Liked: 277
post #229 of 1636
Quote:

I've tried to reproduce it with an Apple Airport, a Linksys WRT54G, and a Belkin (don't remember the model). There's a lot more to networking than you can see from the surface.

That may be.
One of my environments was a WRT54G connecting to the net.
The only custom setting was to start dolling out IP's at 100.

Also, my Onkyo HT-RC180 and 5507 have no problems on the same network.
The xx8 models broke something.

- Rich
06:02 PM Liked: 10
post #230 of 1636
Quote:

Well, it's worth noting that the 708 gets you more than just network. The big thing for me was Audyssey MultiEQ. The 608 only has 2EQ, which doesn't incorporate the subwoofer in the Audyssey setup.

Agreed! Which is why I am having a hard time determining if all those things justify the $200 premium of the 708 over the 608, even taking into the fact the broken ethernet of the 708.

If I only knew if there was a fix for the ethernet on the horizon I wouldn't second guess my 708 purchase.

C'MON ONKYO, RELEASE A WORKING FIX FOR THIS ISSUE!!!
litew8's Avatar litew8
07:03 PM Liked: 10
post #231 of 1636
08-22-2010 | Posts: 529
Quote:

Not a problem

As far as additional router configuration, that's a no. You're good to go. DHCP is "hands off" for anything outside the IP distribution range, so you can fill 'er up I recommend keeping a list of IP addresses somewhere so you can remember what's where. Also, if you lose track, there's a handy utility called an IP scanner that can find devices on your network.

Static IP's

Some might find a more practical solution would be to print the IP address on a label.
Stick the label on the back of the unit (or front even if you want) for quick easy access when needed.
07:40 PM Liked: 12
post #232 of 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

That may be.
One of my environments was a WRT54G connecting to the net.
The only custom setting was to start dolling out IP's at 100.

Also, my Onkyo HT-RC180 and 5507 have no problems on the same network.
The xx8 models broke something.

- Rich

Sorry, I don't mean to minimize the issue that many are having I've built enough PCs where the parts simply won't work together in a stable config to know that feeling of "oh crap, what am I going to do with all this stuff now." I definitely empathize.
07:41 PM Liked: 12
post #233 of 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post

Static IP's

Some might find a more practical solution would be to print the IP address on a label.
Stick the label on the back of the unit (or front even if you want) for quick easy access when needed.

I <3 my PT-1400 for that very purpose
07:47 PM Liked: 12
post #234 of 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfocussvt View Post

Agreed! Which is why I am having a hard time determining if all those things justify the $200 premium of the 708 over the 608, even taking into the fact the broken ethernet of the 708.

If I only knew if there was a fix for the ethernet on the horizon I wouldn't second guess my 708 purchase.

C'MON ONKYO, RELEASE A WORKING FIX FOR THIS ISSUE!!!

I almost freaked out when I started reading this thread and seeing all the issues. I had my finger on the mouse button about to cancel the order, but I went through with it because of all the other features. The 608 is really nipping at the heels of the 708, but I'm confident Onkyo will fix the networking issue at some point. I figured that if I got the receiver hooked up and the networking didn't work, I could wait for a firmware fix and it'd be like a late-arriving bonus lol. That along with the far better quality of the MultiEQ put me over the edge.

Sad that this is the state of consumer affairs, but such is the complexity of our technological lives right now.
08:00 PM Liked: 10
post #235 of 1636
Quote:

I almost freaked out when I started reading this thread and seeing all the issues. I had my finger on the mouse button about to cancel the order, but I went through with it because of all the other features. The 608 is really nipping at the heels of the 708, but I'm confident Onkyo will fix the networking issue at some point. I figured that if I got the receiver hooked up and the networking didn't work, I could wait for a firmware fix and it'd be like a late-arriving bonus lol. That along with the far better quality of the MultiEQ put me over the edge.

Sad that this is the state of consumer affairs, but such is the complexity of our technological lives right now.

I see your point, though I'm willing to try the 808 for the extra 25 watts/channel and FUNCTIONING network feature for $100 more.
08:24 PM Liked: 12
post #236 of 1636
Unfortunately, I checked out the 808 thread prior to purchasing, and it sounds like some of them are having the same issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the networking hardware were identical across the entire Onkyo line. There wouldn't really be any justification for changing it, even in the higher end models. These days, 10/100 network interfaces are heavily commoditized. There are only a handful of manufacturers.
08:27 PM Liked: 10
post #237 of 1636
Quote:

Unfortunately, I checked out the 808 thread prior to purchasing, and it sounds like some of them are having the same issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the networking hardware were identical across the entire Onkyo line. There wouldn't really be any justification for changing it, even in the higher end models. These days, 10/100 network interfaces are heavily commoditized. There are only a handful of manufacturers.

Just like here though - many have the issue a few don't.
kb4all's Avatar kb4all
09:34 PM Liked: 10
post #238 of 1636
08-22-2010 | Posts: 142
Well I have had the 708 for three weeks now. The only issue I have had is audio dropping out completely three times when swithing sources or changing channels. When the audio dropped out, the speaker icons on the front of the unit were off. The only fix was to unplug the unit. This was before the firmware upgrade. Have not had the problem since.

As far as the networking goes, I have not had any problems. I have the 708 > Asus RT-N12 (repeater bridge) > Asus RT-N12 Router > 2Wire DSL Modem. Networking has been flawless.
RichB's Avatar RichB
10:05 PM Liked: 277
post #239 of 1636
Quote:

Sorry, I don't mean to minimize the issue that many are having I've built enough PCs where the parts simply won't work together in a stable config to know that feeling of "oh crap, what am I going to do with all this stuff now." I definitely empathize.

No problem.

I had hoped that the firmware update would fix the problem.
I had one 708 in a vacation home and could not risk leaving it there when I could not be certain if the problem would be fixed.

I am considering upgrading to a 5508 (when they come out) but not until this issue is fully resolved.

- Rich
CBdicX's Avatar CBdicX
12:45 AM Liked: 33
post #240 of 1636
08-23-2010 | Posts: 1,290
No more Network problems for me

I bought a used Marantz SR7500 and a EEE PC for vTuner and the connection to my "music" HDD through USB.
It works without any problems, just turn on the EEE PC and the connection never fails.
I have send the (2nd) 708 back for a full refund after a mail from Onkyo customer service.
I mentioned the Network problems and they replied with:

...if you downloaded the latest firmware update thats specific for the Network problem, and its still not working, you need to return the unit to get it repaired.....

Yeh, right............
I like Onkyo but for now i will stay with my Marantz/EEE PC setup that works great and when i see a Onkyo forum without any major problems mentioned i will go back to Onkyo, think that will be a long time from now.........

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread