AVS Forum banner

The "Official" TX-NR708 Owners Thread

252K views 2K replies 320 participants last post by  Dat_90s_Hacker 
#1 ·
Can we get this one started as well since they've been shipping....mine has been performing OK with the VERY limited testing I've done. Only thing I've noticed so far is volume seems lower than expected based on dB setting.

#2 ·
Can you tell me if the 708 has fans on the unit like the 808 does (I believe the 808 has a pair of them on the bottom toward the front).

#3 ·
I'll have to take a peek to see, but someone probably already know the answer. I can tell you I had it cranked up to ref for about a half hour last night and noticed no heat issues. Mine is "in the open" right now though.

#4 ·
I can only see one smaller fan mounted on the backside of the large heatsink (perpendicular to the length) near the front. Definitely not 2 larger ones like the 808.

#6 ·
Got my 708 yesterday and have the network connection problem that folks have reported in the other 708/808 thread, sent a note off to Onkyo to see what they say.

This is my 1st AVR that has HDMI on it and have connected all my hardware via that but have an issue with my Mits 73735 TV, the video settings keep getting reset back to the factory defaults if I:

- Switch inputs on the TV to something else and then back to the TX-NR708

- Turn the TV off and then back on.

All the hardware that's now going thru the AVR used to be HDMI connected directly to the Mits without any problems.

This is a real PITA and if I can't find a way to stop this this receiver is going back. Any ideas on if there's a setting that I can change to stop this?

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad /forum/post/18909289

Got my 708 yesterday and have the network connection problem that folks have reported in the other 708/808 thread, sent a note off to Onkyo to see what they say.

This is my 1st AVR that has HDMI on it and have connected all my hardware via that but have an issue with my Mits 73735 TV, the video settings keep getting reset back to the factory defaults if I:

- Switch inputs on the TV to something else and then back to the TX-NR708

- Turn the TV off and then back on.

All the hardware that's now going thru the AVR used to be HDMI connected directly to the Mits without any problems.

This is a real PITA and if I can't find a way to stop this this receiver is going back. Any ideas on if there's a setting that I can change to stop this?

Not sure if this is the answer for you but have you tried turning the 708's HDMI control on or off to see if it helps?

The only other thing I can think of is to check your HDMI out resolution setting to see what's going to your TV (not sure what default is). If memory serves, Mits has independent picture controls for each of it's native resolutions (480i, 480P 1080 etc.) Maybe what the AVR is set at and outputting doesn't match the default resolution of the Mits and whatever changes you make under current screen are lost and reset to default either by turning off or changing inputs on the TV. Just an idea.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto /forum/post/18909491

Not sure if this is the answer for you but have you tried turning the 708's HDMI control on or off to see if it helps?

I was off, I tried on to see if it changed anything, nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto /forum/post/18909491

The only other thing I can think of is to check your HDMI out resolution setting to see what's going to your TV (not sure what default is). If memory serves, Mits has independent picture controls for each of it's native resolutions (480i, 480P 1080 etc.) Maybe what the AVR is set at and outputting doesn't match the default resolution of the Mits and whatever changes you make under current screen are lost and reset to default either by turning off or changing inputs on the TV. Just an idea.

AFAIK the Mits has independent settings per input, not per input and then resolution. At lease whenever I cycled through the output resolutions on my DirecTV STB's from 480i up to 1080p the picture settings never changed. And as I said, all I need to do is turn the TV off and back on and it's being reset.

I've sent an e-mail to Onkyo along with the vendor I purchased this from to see if they have any ideas on what the issue is and how to correct it. Thanks for the ideas anyway.

#9 ·
I've only had mine a few days and am still playing around with it. Volume is very non-linear...fairly quiet up to about 50% then will shake the rafters if cranked much more above that. Clean sound far beyond normal listening levels. Absolutely no network streaming issues using a wireless router bridged to a second wireless router on the LAN. I am, however, fighting an HDMI handshake issue between the 708 and my new Samsung HDTV. It takes multiple power cycles of both the 708 and the Samsung before the Samsung will finally "see" the 708 and connect to it....otherwise, the Samsung displays "searching for signal" then finally "no signal". Neither Samsung nor Onkyo tech support were helpful with this issue. If a factory reset doesn't solve the problem, they're basically clueless. I'm going to attempt a workaround while I wait for a firmware update either from Samsung or Onkyo to resolve this.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightsc /forum/post/18912620

I've only had mine a few days and am still playing around with it. Volume is very non-linear...fairly quiet up to about 50% then will shake the rafters if cranked much more above that. Clean sound far beyond normal listening levels. Absolutely no network streaming issues using a wireless router bridged to a second wireless router on the LAN. I am, however, fighting an HDMI handshake issue between the 708 and my new Samsung HDTV. It takes multiple power cycles of both the 708 and the Samsung before the Samsung will finally "see" the 708 and connect to it....otherwise, the Samsung displays "searching for signal" then finally "no signal". Neither Samsung nor Onkyo tech support were helpful with this issue. If a factory reset doesn't solve the problem, they're basically clueless. I'm going to attempt a workaround while I wait for a firmware update either from Samsung or Onkyo to resolve this.

I have the same network setup, but it still requires the cable to be re-plugged after the receiver is powered down.

On the other hand, I have a Samsung UN55C8000 and have had no connection issues whatsoever, but there are lots of ways it could appear to be not working. I'm using the ARC enabled slot, and it works fine. At the risk of being too simplistic, does connecting directly from your source to the TV work? That would at least eliminate the TV as the problem.

#13 ·
Response from Onkyo for the network problem:

"Please try the following reset: To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings. "

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightsc /forum/post/18912620

I am, however, fighting an HDMI handshake issue between the 708 and my new Samsung HDTV. It takes multiple power cycles of both the 708 and the Samsung before the Samsung will finally "see" the 708 and connect to it....otherwise, the Samsung displays "searching for signal" then finally "no signal".

When it does connect has it left all the picture settings alone on your TV or is it resetting them to defaults like on mine?

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave /forum/post/18912892

At the risk of being too simplistic, does connecting directly from your source to the TV work? That would at least eliminate the TV as the problem.

As of right now, the only source I have is the 708.

If both the 708 and the TV have been powered off, I can only access the 708's setup screen about a third of the time after both devices are powered up again. When both units are powered up and the TV displays "no signal" from the 708's HDMI port, I have to power cycle both devices multiple times before the connection is finally made. Once they connect, I can power cycle one OR the other and the 708's setup screen comes back up fine. I've tried different cables, power up/down sequences, HDMI settings, different HDMI ports on the TV...nothing works consistently.

I have a Blu Ray player arriving sometime today so I'll at least have a second HDMI source to try but so far, it's been very frustrating.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad /forum/post/18913617

Response from Onkyo for the network problem:

"Please try the following reset: To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings. "

Sounds like it's already time for a firmware update.

#18 ·
Don't waste your time with the reset procedure, I did it this morning and of course it didn't fix the network connection issue, still there.

I was hoping that it would also fix my HDMI issue with my Mits but that's still there and that's a show stopper for this receiver.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightsc /forum/post/18914211

Sounds like it's already time for a firmware update.

Definitely time for a firmware update. Or a return.

Mine:
  1. It doesn't pass my Panasonic DMP-BD55 BluRay HDMI through properly. I get garbage on my HDCP-compatible DVI input Hitachi 51SWX20B TV. It works perfectly connected directly to the TV. My only two HDMI sources (PS3 & a Mac via DVI) work perfectly through the Onkyo. I'm forced to use the component outputs for BluRay.
  2. Last night my wife complained of random, short audio dropouts from our DirecTV TiVo (S-Video + Optical) -- I shrugged it off as network problems. But the next day she called me at work to tell me there was no audio at all on any channel, on either TiVo. After 45 minutes of remote debugging, I gave up, she turned it all off.

When I got home, the receiver was off, but warm to the touch, just like it is when it's on in normal use. I turned it on, and sure enough, no sound. Display says it's getting a good signal, but it's not creating any sound! Under the DVR, for audio it displayed "T-D". I didn't get audio for any input, including BluRay, Pandora, or my TiVos. Even in Pure Audio mode.

After going through every single setup screen, I gave up, turned it off, pulled the power plug from the surge protector, waited 10 seconds, and plugged it back in. Voila! Everything is back to normal, it sounds great.

What happened? What does T-D mean?

#23 ·
Update on the HDMI handshaking problem....I received my Sony BD player today and the Samsung TV only recognizes it intermittently when plugged directly into any of the TV's HDMI ports. I have to power everything down and back up for the TV's HDMI to connect to any device on the HDMI bus. So as of now, the 708 is working perfectly. Time to put another call in to Samsung....

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad /forum/post/18914264

Don't waste your time with the reset procedure, I did it this morning and of course it didn't fix the network connection issue, still there.

I was hoping that it would also fix my HDMI issue with my Mits but that's still there and that's a show stopper for this receiver.

Confirmed! Don't do a "reset" unless all else fails. You'll have to completely recalibrate if you do this. I had this problem and posted to the other 708-808-1008 thread with the "solution"(?).

Here's what I did:

1. Plug in ethernet cable from a confirmed "good" source.

2. Choose "Net/USB" input

3. Go to Set-Up/Hardware Set-Up and immediately scroll to Firmware. If your connection is good, you'll be able to check for new firmware. If there is no network connection, then

4. Switch to another input and unplug the ethernet cable.

5. Plug the ethernet cable back in, then switch inputs back to "NET/Usb". If the connection is made you'll see messages to that effect on the Display.

This is what worked for me and the network connection is solid.

Note: I would STRONGLY recommend that this procedure be done immediately after powering up the Receiver for the first time. Then check for Firmware updates and install if available. If you don't do this first, you might find that you will need to recalibrate your receiver after updating firmware.

#26 ·
I fixed the Panasonic/Hitachi compatibility problem by hardcoding the BluRayplayer to output 1080i out of the HDMI - it just didn't work in automatic mode.

The second problem occurred again while I was home. This time I went through the reset procedure - as soon as I reset the unit, audio came back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idean /forum/post/18914338

Definitely time for a firmware update. Or a return.

Mine:
  1. It doesn't pass my Panasonic DMP-BD55 BluRay HDMI through properly. I get garbage on my HDCP-compatible DVI input Hitachi 51SWX20B TV. It works perfectly connected directly to the TV. My only two HDMI sources (PS3 & a Mac via DVI) work perfectly through the Onkyo. I'm forced to use the component outputs for BluRay.
  2. Last night my wife complained of random, short audio dropouts from our DirecTV TiVo (S-Video + Optical) -- I shrugged it off as network problems. But the next day she called me at work to tell me there was no audio at all on any channel, on either TiVo. After 45 minutes of remote debugging, I gave up, she turned it all off.

When I got home, the receiver was off, but warm to the touch, just like it is when it's on in normal use. I turned it on, and sure enough, no sound. Display says it's getting a good signal, but it's not creating any sound! Under the DVR, for audio it displayed "T-D". I didn't get audio for any input, including BluRay, Pandora, or my TiVos. Even in Pure Audio mode.

After going through every single setup screen, I gave up, turned it off, pulled the power plug from the surge protector, waited 10 seconds, and plugged it back in. Voila! Everything is back to normal, it sounds great.

What happened? What does T-D mean?