Onkyo Quality Issues? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About 2 years ago I purchased a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR 875 from Onkyo online. Apart from the heat issue as reported by most reviewers, it worked fine....for the most part. In the first year the front panel display conked out, thankfully it was covered under warranty. Yesterday I was listening to the radio when I heard a crackling/popping sound and saw some smoke coming out of the receiver. Unfortunately it's out of warranty and now I'm wondering if I made a huge mistake choosing an Onkyo over the Denon. Maybe I should've payed attention to some users saying the Onkyo has quality issues. So my question is what receiver I should go for that has great sound quality but also great reliability/quality. I noticed most Denon receivers don't have THX Ultra2 specs, but again overall sound quality is the number one preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1restarter View Post

About 2 years ago I purchased a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR 875. Apart from the heat issue as reported by most reviewers, it worked fine....for the most part. In the first year the front panel display conked out, thankfully it was covered under warranty. Yesterday I was listening to the radio when I heard a crackling/popping sound and saw some smoke coming out of the receiver. Unfortunately it's out of warranty and now I'm wondering if I made a huge mistake choosing an Onkyo over the Denon. Maybe I should've payed attention to some users saying the Onkyo has quality issues. So my question is what receiver I should go for that has great sound quality but also great reliability/quality. I noticed most Denon receivers don't have THX Ultra2 specs, but again overall sound quality is the number one preference.

You might want to look into one of the Pioneer Elites with the ICE amps. SC25/27/35/37. Marantz 8002 is a bargain now. However the Marantz does some funny things with Audyssey not working correctly with the new audio codecs. There's the new Marantz 7005 coming out in August that might be for you. Have you set a budget for this replacement?
post #3 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

phantom52 I have a budget of $1000. Thanks for your suggestions, I will definitely check out the Pioneer as I read some good reviews last night. I can wait till august and see if the Marantz is a better deal. The Onkyo is packed to the gills with features but sadly the quality sucks, at least in my case.
post #4 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Yeah, I am very hesitant to buy another Onkyo as well. Have you taken a look at the onkyo 606 thread? We all got screwed on that one. I haven't been able to use the HDMI for over a year on it. But then I have an older 503 that is still going strong after probably 6 years or so. So who knows? I do like the interface of onkyo and features...but only when it is working obviously.
post #5 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

phantom52 I have a budget of $1000. Thanks for your suggestions, I will definitely check out the Pioneer as I read some good reviews last night. I can wait till august and see if the Marantz is a better deal. The Onkyo is packed to the gills with features but sadly the quality sucks, at least in my case.

Unfortunately the newer Pioneer Elites will be over your budget. You may be able to find an Elite SC25/27 on Audiogon that may fit that budget. There is also the Yamaha 1900/3900 that would fit your budget. Solid built Yammies before they went to the X65 series. The 1900 would easily fit your budget for a new one. The 3900 would be close or a little over. With that budget though you could get a Yamaha 665/765 and an Emotiva amp like the XPA3 and let the AVR do surround duty. Or the 765 and an Emotiva UPA5/7 would also work out very well. This route will get you as close to future proof as you will ever get. The amps will last a long time and chances are that you will change out the AVR before that amp needs replacing. Just be sure that your next AVR purchase has pre-outs and you'll be good to go. Sorry you had problems with your 875, I'm using the 876 and its working(at this time) as good as new. Every one of the makers have problems with some of their products and each have their fans and haters. My usual first choice is a Yamaha, my next one though is going to be a Pioneer Elite 37. But thats next year. See below for the Yamaha 765. And then the Emotiva UPA5 below it.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V765...9747686&sr=8-1

http://emotiva.com/upa5.shtm

This combination will go for less than $1K delivered to your door.
post #6 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Yesterday I was listening to the radio when I heard a crackling/popping sound and saw some smoke coming out of the receiver.

hehehehe....hehe....hehehehe...hehehe...
post #7 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here you go found you a new SC 25 from a dealer.

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...eer-Elite-SC25
post #8 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post

hehehehe....hehe....hehehehe...hehehe...

You find humor when someones AVR dies? Nice.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #9 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

About 2 years ago I purchased a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR 875. Apart from the heat issue as reported by most reviewers, it worked fine....for the most part. In the first year the front panel display conked out, thankfully it was covered under warranty. Yesterday I was listening to the radio when I heard a crackling/popping sound and saw some smoke coming out of the receiver. Unfortunately it's out of warranty and now I'm wondering if I made a huge mistake choosing an Onkyo over the Denon. Maybe I should've payed attention to some users saying the Onkyo has quality issues. So my question is what receiver I should go for that has great sound quality but also great reliability/quality. I noticed most Denon receivers don't have THX Ultra2 specs, but again overall sound quality is the number one preference.

f1,

If you paid for the 875 with a premium credit card check to see if the card gives extended warranty protection. My CC has this and it extends the warranty of components 1 year if the warranty is at least 1 year.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #10 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Bill

Well, Bill its like this, you get that from Onkyo haters. Nevermind that WE didn't post reactions like this in the "Pops of Death" thread for the Marantz owners or the network connection problems in the Denon threads. Some people just find humor in others mis-fortunes.
post #11 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Well, Bill its like this, you get that from Onkyo haters. Nevermind that WE didn't post reactions like this in the "Pops of Death" thread for the Marantz owners or the network connection problems in the Denon threads. Some people just find humor in others mis-fortunes.

You guys must not have been Beavis and Butthead fans? Fffffffffiirreee!!!! heh heh he heh heh.
post #12 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

It takes all kinds I guess. It probably wouldn't be as funny if it was 'ole snakeskin's AVR that went belly up. I'll have to remember to send similar regards if that ever does happen.

Bill

post #13 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I don't know if your current AVR's issues have spoiled you to refub's, but if not look at Dakmart.com for refurb'd Denon's with a 1 year warranty (they're an authorized dealer for them). They currently have 4310CI's a bit above your budget and 3808CI's for below.

Sorry to hear about the issues on the AVR, I hate it when stuff goes south like that.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #14 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks for the links phantom, those are some amazing choices and very reasonably priced, especially the Yamaha/emotiva combo. I think the Yamaha is on display at my local bestbuy. Bill Mac thanks for the advice, I will check with my CC company to see if I have any options. I am taking the Onkyo to my local service center and if the repair is close to the price of that Yamaha then screw the Onkyo. I'm done with it.
post #15 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

I don't know if your current AVR's issues have spoiled you to refub's, but if not look at Dakmart.com for refurb'd Denon's with a 1 year warranty (they're an authorized dealer for them). They currently have 4310CI's a bit above your budget and 3808CI's for below.

Sorry to hear about the issues on the AVR, I hate it when stuff goes south like that.

thank you for the kind words Snowmanick, yeah it sucks that within 2 years I have to put up with poor Onkyo quality twice. I think I'm burned out (pun not intended) with the refurb option when these days there are brand new and highly rated options like the Yamaha that phantom linked.
post #16 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I am taking the Onkyo to my local service center and if the repair is close to the price of that Yamaha then screw the Onkyo. I'm done with it.

f1,

I don't blame you for switching. I have had three Onkyos (805, 885 and 886) without any issues, lucky I guess. If I had the issues you have had I would not hesitate to go with another brand.

Bill

post #17 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I had an Onkyo for 10 years with no issues, I just purchased an Onkyo RC180 and I also question quality. But then again I question quality with all the brands. These days with greed as it is and the economic situation everyone seems to be cutting corners. I also think with technology changing so fast companies try to put out stuff before it's actually ready. I mean look at how many people are having problems with HDMI issues.

I was actually looking at Denon or HK but then I got the feeling their quality went way down. So I stuck with Onkyo.
post #18 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sorry to hear of your trouble with Onkyo. I have been a fan of their products for over 20 yrs. I have a stereo receiver that I have been using for almost 20 years and it has never let me down. I also have a TX-SR805 that I really like, and so far is trouble free. All companies have a certain number of products that fail. Even if a company has a long term success of producing products with a very low failure rating. Sooner or later they are going to have a bad run with a model or two, or more. With time companies change designs, engineers come and go, and where the electronic companies decide to purchase the 100's of small parts to build a receiver. All effects the failure rating. A company might make a killer $1000 dollar receiver. It's sad that if an outside company supplies a bad run of .50 cent resistors. It could make that run of receivers failure rate go up, thus making a lot of customers turn away. Im staying with Onkyo. Even though there are known issues with some of their products. I just like them. Good luck with your next purchase.
post #19 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I totally agree that every company has issues but I have read about Onkyo having more issues than other manufacturers, especially when it comes to heat. This thing is extremely hot and I sometimes wonder if other receivers get this hot. Also agree that these days it's all about stuffing the latest and greatest features and seems like quality is at the bottom of the list. I was also kinda disappointed with Onkyo's customer service as it seemed to me like they really didn't care much. Last time they sent the receiver back to me with the packing material half missing and the rest was in pieces.

Anyway, I truly hope it's not a huge issue and it gets fixed quickly. I really did like it for the time it worked and it really is a great receiver apart from the serious heat output. Maybe Onkyo won't have so many problems if they can solve this heat issue.
post #20 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
firestarter, yes you made a huge mistake of picking it over a Denon, the proof being you are now without a receiver. Not only that, it had already been to the shop once. My 875was in twice.

My suggestion is to find an outgoing Pio Elite with the ICE amp (SC-25 or SC-27) that you can get a good deal on.
post #21 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't given up on Onkyo just yet. Time will tell unless my AVR sees craiglist sooner rather than later. As I said I'm not convinced anyone's product is any better. It's kinda hard to compare failure and repair rates when you don't know the numbers. I assume Onkyo sells more than others, they're usually cheaper with more features and widely more available. I was scared away from Denon just by Google.

Yes heat has been a common issue with Onkyo, I'm installing a fan just for my AVR. Their support is terrible, they're service centers are too few. Those two things will probably sway my decision on my next AVR. And there's some I have never liked and that may change also.
post #22 of 62 Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bill

Ya, I think he's pretty much a useless poster. hehehehe....hehe....hehehehe...hehehe...
post #23 of 62 Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

I
Yes heat has been a common issue with Onkyo, I'm installing a fan just for my AVR.

That just distributes the heat in the room faster, making it uncomfortable in a shorter time.
post #24 of 62 Old 07-22-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

That just distributes the heat in the room faster, making it uncomfortable in a shorter time.

Huh? Makes what uncomfortable, the Onkyo? You do know he means putting a small fan on top of the Onkyo to pull the heat out and draw in cooler air from the side vents. I did this with my Onkyo 805 and it dropped the temperature of the 805 quite a bit.

Bill

post #25 of 62 Old 07-22-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:

About 2 years ago I purchased a refurbished

Thats your problem not so much the brand. It seems like denon and onkyo have a very big problem with new units, that there is unlimited supply of factory duds. I would never buy a factory dud amp, It just may ruin your pricy speakers and there would be no recourse for your lost of speakers.
post #26 of 62 Old 07-22-2010, 02:46 PM

Liked: 15
Purchasing a refurb is always a gamble. You never know if you are going to get a practically brand new unit that someone did not want or did not know how to operate properly. Or a straight up lemon that will have a multitude of problems to follow. I don't think it's worth saving a few hundred bucks at the risk of outright equipment failure later down the road.
post #27 of 62 Old 07-22-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Huh? Makes what uncomfortable, the Onkyo? You do know he means putting a small fan on top of the Onkyo to pull the heat out and draw in cooler air from the side vents. I did this with my Onkyo 805 and it dropped the temperature of the 805 quite a bit.

Bill

The laws of physics say that heat has to go somewhere. I mentioned on some other thread that it doesn't take long to heat up the room that it's in, making it uncomfortable unless I do something like turn on the a/c.
post #28 of 62 Old 07-22-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod View Post

Thats your problem not so much the brand. It seems like denon and onkyo have a very big problem with new units, that there is unlimited supply of factory duds. I would never buy a factory dud amp, It just may ruin your pricy speakers and there would be no recourse for your lost of speakers.

That might be your opinion but others including myself have bought "refurbished" units to find that they were in fact brand new. I have bought three Onkyos from shoponkyo one that was an actual refurb (805) and two (885 and 886) that were brand new units. I have had not one issue with the three units I bought from shoponkyo.

By your account it seems as much a risk to buy a new A stock unit as it does buying B stock. So what is your advice for fixing that? Also how do you know if a new A stock unit is a "factory dud" or not before actually buying it?

Bill

post #29 of 62 Old 07-22-2010, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

The laws of physics say that heat has to go somewhere. I mentioned on some other thread that it doesn't take long to heat up the room that it's in, making it uncomfortable unless I do something like turn on the a/c.

Well unless you are in a very small room I can not see how you could possibly detect the temperature change from the heat of an AVR. So you are saying adding a fan creates more heat in ones room opposed to just letting the heat dissipate normally from an AVR (no fan)?

Bill

post #30 of 62 Old 07-22-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

Yes heat has been a common issue with Onkyo, I'm installing a fan just for my AVR. Their support is terrible, they're service centers are too few. Those two things will probably sway my decision on my next AVR. And there's some I have never liked and that may change also.

For all of the comments about Onkyo and heat build-up, I wonder how many systems had adequate air space clearance around the AVR...
A minimum of 4" is recommended for L/R sides and top..

If the airflow is blocked off, significant reliability issues and/or shorter life cycle will likely result...
Heat build-up is destructive to all types of CE products be it a PC or an Onkyo AVR..

Just my $0.00..
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page