Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hiya,
I can get both of these locally for @ same $ +- 25. Looking for opinions.

Blast from the past, but I am bottom fishing to get a 2nd AVR. I am taking new rx-v 567 back to store as I don't like sound compared to old rx-v450 it was to replace. Go figure.

Can make do with digital optical or coax, or let Pioneer BD-51 output analog. NOTE the specs for the rx-v 657 say that it does "analog downmix" does that mean that it down mixes analog inputs to analog outputs? Both Yamahas are well spoken of here, I'm just looking for better understanding of the relative qualities of the two.

Be on a one wall 3.1 Paradigm set-up. Open room with wood floors and minimal furniture, speakers facing very large fabric covered windows 18ft away. Vaulted ceilings coming down from 22ft to 9ft at windows.

Thanks all,
Mike K

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh,

Video capabilities are not a concern. I don't think anything of this generation did a very good job at any kind of video, not even pass-thru!!

Maybe I'll get an uber-unit next year when prices are sane. For now, I am just looking for nice sound for movies and music through known speakers.

Mike

post #3 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I think the 659 had slightly more power. I own the 657 and it works great still.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

MichaelJHuman,

Thanks for the response.

Did you ever have reason to see if the 657 would downmix analog inputs for output? Also, specs and features seem to indicate that presence speakers are capable, any feedback on that from your experience? I seem to recall that very little was ever mastered to use that feature, can the unit be reconfigured to output a surround channel(s) to 2nd pair of front (height?) speakers using that?

I notice that the differences between the 657 and 659 one lists "Neural Sound" and the other doesn't. Gimmick or real? Also the 657 lists "Dialogue lift" while the 659 doesn't, did you ever try the dialogue lift?

I don't need extra power, so I'll likely get whichever looks best for the price, @$125 to $140. On Craigslist, so likely won't be able to check them out other than visually. The 659 is a standalone sale, the 657 is offered with 4.1 Infinity Beta 50s and 152 speaker set-up for extra @300. I am truly happy with my Paradigms, so I'll try to separate the receiver if she'll go for it.

Regarding the 2010 line-up: I did take the advice on that dedicated thread, and tweaked and tweaked and tweaked. I lack understanding of what EQ settings to adjust to, but everything else I patiently worked thru for fine tuning. Improved SQ, but not enough to please the Boss. the HTR 567 equivalent goes back. Reading the thread, I agree that the rx-v667 looks good compared to the 567, but I'm not willing to spring 500 plus for all the fancy stuff I am likely to not use, and be stuck hoping that it sounds as good as a six-year-old Yamaha. sigh. The new Yamaha's do look very sexy with the blue tones that'll match the Mitsu diamond and the Pioneer.

Again, thanks.

Mike K

post #5 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post

MichaelJHuman,

Thanks for the response.

Did you ever have reason to see if the 657 would downmix analog inputs for output? Also, specs and features seem to indicate that presence speakers are capable, any feedback on that from your experience? I seem to recall that very little was ever mastered to use that feature, can the unit be reconfigured to output a surround channel(s) to 2nd pair of front (height?) speakers using that?

I notice that the differences between the 657 and 659 one lists "Neural Sound" and the other doesn't. Gimmick or real? Also the 657 lists "Dialogue lift" while the 659 doesn't, did you ever try the dialogue lift?

I don't think Neural is better than Dolby Pro Logic II. So I would not worry about it.

I don't need extra power, so I'll likely get whichever looks best for the price, @$125 to $140. On Craigslist, so likely won't be able to check them out other than visually. The 659 is a standalone sale, the 657 is offered with 4.1 Infinity Beta 50s and 152 speaker set-up for extra @300. I am truly happy with my Paradigms, so I'll try to separate the receiver if she'll go for it.

Regarding the 2010 line-up: I did take the advice on that dedicated thread, and tweaked and tweaked and tweaked. I lack understanding of what EQ settings to adjust to, but everything else I patiently worked thru for fine tuning. Improved SQ, but not enough to please the Boss. the HTR 567 equivalent goes back. Reading the thread, I agree that the rx-v667 looks good compared to the 567, but I'm not willing to spring 500 plus for all the fancy stuff I am likely to not use, and be stuck hoping that it sounds as good as a six-year-old Yamaha. sigh. The new Yamaha's do look very sexy with the blue tones that'll match the Mitsu diamond and the Pioneer.

Again, thanks.

Mike K

I will try to answer your questions.

Presence is strictly a processing thing unique to Yamaha. I was not impressed with it when I setup up some speakers. May have been my setup though.

Dialog lift requires presence speakers. I don't recall if I tried it.

The older 600 series had more power. Hence they may have sounded better depending on conditions. Starting with the 661, Yamaha started trading power for more features such as HDMI.

The 665 may have been the weakest of all 600 series receivers I know about. The 667 beefed up the power supply, which should be a welcome change to 667 buyers.

post #6 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

MichaelJ,

Thanks.

One unanswered (yes, I want egg in my beer), can you confirm that the rx-v657 will down-mix multichannel analog inputs to analog outputs? i.e. 5.1 analog in's to 3.1 analog outs? Listed on spec sheet, but I've not seen that on any other AVR's that I've examined. Would be cool if I could use Pioneer's lossless analog outs full spectrum and let AVR manipulate to my speaker set-up. Maybe.

I am more comfortable with my decision to pass on NIB 765 for a squeak over 400. I'll stick with the older Yamaha's until I am ready for a wonder box.

I regretted letting go the open-box RX-V3900 I got from local store. I guess I like being married too much, so I let it go on Craigslist for a moderate profit. Oh well, I probably couldn't have afforded to get the speakers that would have done it justice anyways. Ha!

Thanks again, and Semper Fi

Mike K

post #7 of 10 Old 07-27-2010, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The analog inputs will go straight to the appropriate channels. There's no processing as they won't go through the DSP.

post #8 of 10 Old 07-27-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The RX-657 and the RX-659 in particular, since I have two of them, are very good receivers if you don't need or want to run HDMI into a AVR.

The 659 does do dialog lift, using the presence speakers.

Plenty of power, (underrated by the way, http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...yamaha-rx-v659) this baby will get the job done for you.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-27-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

The analog inputs will go straight to the appropriate channels. There's no processing as they won't go through the DSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

The RX-657 and the RX-659 in particular, since I have two of them, are very good receivers if you don't need or want to run HDMI into a AVR.

The 659 does do dialog lift, using the presence speakers.

Plenty of power, (underrated by the way, http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...yamaha-rx-v659) this baby will get the job done for you.

MichaelJHuman and Blasst,

Thanks. I'll definitely have a go at one of these. Doesn't seem to matter too much which for my purposes. I think the 659 guy is more eager. Whichever.

I'll keep an eye on the relevant Yamaha threads for a wonder box AVR at discount time next year. I hope. Meanwhile, I'll keep learning just enough from this forum to get into trouble, and not enough to know what I'm doing. All is fun.

Mike K

post #10 of 10 Old 01-05-2013, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

I'm new here and i don't find anywhere else but here to talk about this Reciever YAMAHA rx-v657.

I hawe one question about ZONE 2 funktion... every time, when I turn off the device and turn it back on, it turns on function ZONE 2.... How can i turn this funktion off, i don't even use this funktion for second room. Please if anyone can help me!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page