A/V pre pro vs. Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking of getting a receiver to use as my A/V pre pro to replace my Outlaw 950. It seems that I may realize more bang for the buck by taking this route than purchasing an expensive dedicated preamp/controller. My system consists of a 65" Panasonic plasma,an Outlaw 755 (200 WPC X 5,I have no intention of going 7.1 or beyond) Paradigm Studio 100 mains,large CC690(?) center,2 ADP 590's rear and a Revel 15" sub. I watch 2 Blu-Ray movies weekly and the rest of my viewing is Time Warner HD cable. I am primarily interested in the home theatre experience. I would prefer to keep my big 80 lb. amp but I suppose I could sell it if I found a receiver with enough power. My speakers are quite large and apparently not very efficient since the 200 watts per channel is,believe it or not,only adequate. I will,on rare occasions listen to music,but very infrequently and even then it is usually just music channels from the cable provider or regular cd's played in Stereo with my sub. I do however,have a decent ear ,even if I am 61 years of age. I bought my first tube amp back in 1969 and I went on to play the Fender Bass professionally for nearly 20 years. I realized long ago that I could not duplicate the experience of playing live onstage at home. My bass rig for quite some time consisted of 2 Ampeg SVT tube amps,400 WPC RMS each through 4 15" JBL D140's....kind of hard to duplicate at home,folks! I am a dinosaur and I have no interest in connecting to a computer,ipod,ethernet,streaming,wi-fi,no second zone or any of that kind of stuff. I just use Blu-ray,cable box and XBOX only. I think what I am after here is a unit that has some type of room acoustic correction like Audyssey or Trinnov and all the latest stuff like True HD,1.4 HDMI,etc. I would like to be able to set it up once and then the unit will automatically go to the correct setting depending on the source. At this time I run the HDMI connections straight from the cable box as well as the Blu-Ray player directly into the TV bypassing the 950. If memory serves,my XBOX 360 is connected to the 950. Most of the discussions here in the Saloon are over my head,but after 40 years of listening I know what sounds good to me (TUBES!) and I am hoping that you guys might just break it down for me in simple terms. I have read opinions and reviews until I feel like my head is going to explode. I would like to hold it under a grand but I'll pay more if necessary......Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal26 View Post

I am thinking of getting a receiver to use as my A/V pre pro to replace my Outlaw 950. It seems that I may realize more bang for the buck by taking this route than purchasing an expensive dedicated preamp/controller. My system consists of a 65" Panasonic plasma,an Outlaw 755 (200 WPC X 5,I have no intention of going 7.1 or beyond) Paradigm Studio 100 mains,large CC690(?) center,2 ADP 590's rear and a Revel 15" sub. I watch 2 Blu-Ray movies weekly and the rest of my viewing is Time Warner HD cable. I am primarily interested in the home theatre experience. I would prefer to keep my big 80 lb. amp but I suppose I could sell it if I found a receiver with enough power. My speakers are quite large and apparently not very efficient since the 200 watts per channel is,believe it or not,only adequate. I will,on rare occasions listen to music,but very infrequently and even then it is usually just music channels from the cable provider or regular cd's played in Stereo with my sub. I do however,have a decent ear ,even if I am 61 years of age. I bought my first tube amp back in 1969 and I went on to play the Fender Bass professionally for nearly 20 years. I realized long ago that I could not duplicate the experience of playing live onstage at home. My bass rig for quite some time consisted of 2 Ampeg SVT tube amps,400 WPC RMS each through 4 15" JBL D140's....kind of hard to duplicate at home,folks! I am a dinosaur and I have no interest in connecting to a computer,ipod,ethernet,streaming,wi-fi,no second zone or any of that kind of stuff. I just use Blu-ray,cable box and XBOX only. I think what I am after here is a unit that has some type of room acoustic correction like Audyssey or Trinnov and all the latest stuff like True HD,1.4 HDMI,etc. I would like to be able to set it up once and then the unit will automatically go to the correct setting depending on the source. At this time I run the HDMI connections straight from the cable box as well as the Blu-Ray player directly into the TV bypassing the 950. If memory serves,my XBOX 360 is connected to the 950. Most of the discussions here in the Saloon are over my head,but after 40 years of listening I know what sounds good to me (TUBES!) and I am hoping that you guys might just break it down for me in simple terms. I have read opinions and reviews until I feel like my head is going to explode. I would like to hold it under a grand but I'll pay more if necessary......Thanks!

Maybe the upcoming Marantz AV7005 would suit you. It is a deicated preamp at $1400 (A bit cheaper than its SR7005 receiver brother and you gain XLR outs). It ticks all your feature requirements with Audyssey XT Pro, 6 HDMI 1.4 and although this is speculative since its about 2 months away from release Marantz typically go for a slightly smoother rounded sound which is a bit more tube like than for example Onkyo.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 83
You may also want to give the H/K 3600 a look. Power ratings for these are usually understated. As in more times than not they easily reach their power ratings and in most test surpass them. It has pre-outs for connecting that amp if you want to do that. Check out the dedicated thread for the 1600/2600/3600 H/K's. Theirs also the Onkyo 876 at accessories4less that's a real bargain and it will provide plenty of power and connectivity. They have new and refurb units there that will easily fit your budget. The 876 bench tested with 128 watts/channel with all channels driven. Rare these days. One of these along with that amp will allow you to bi-amp your system if you would like to try that. I also feel that the AVR + amp combo is the way to go at this time. The newer model AVR's have taken a hit on their stated power, especially with all channels driven. Good luck and hope this gives you a few option to look into.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your kind response. That looks like a fantastic unit!
post #5 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal26 View Post

Thanks for your kind response. That looks like a fantastic unit!

Both the 3600 and the 876 are fantastic units. Google the 3600 for best prices. Sometimes the 3600 is on sale at the harmon ebay store. The only problem there is you better be quick if they have one. They don't hang around very long at all. Those 876's also go pretty fast at accessories4less. Especially the new ones that sell for only $100 more than the refurbs.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks...will take a look.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Maybe the upcoming Marantz AV7005 would suit you. It is a deicated preamp at $1400 (A bit cheaper than its SR7005 receiver brother and you gain XLR outs). It ticks all your feature requirements with Audyssey XT Pro, 6 HDMI 1.4 and although this is speculative since its about 2 months away from release Marantz typically go for a slightly smoother rounded sound which is a bit more tube like than for example Onkyo.

It should be a very good pre/pro choice.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #8 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I tried several times using a receiver as a prepro, the latest was a hk 3600, after a month I sold it and went with a nad m15, ht is the same on both, but musicly the nad is in another league, if you are only concerned with ht, a receiver is fine, but a receiver will never compare sonicly to seperates, good luck
post #9 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, the price on the NAD at least appears to be in another league.

"What we do in life echoes in eternity." General Maximus Decimus Meridius
post #10 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18628239 View Post

Well, the price on the NAD at least appears to be in another league.

You are correct. Plus it doesn't do Dolby True HD or DTS Master HD.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page