Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 9639 Old 10-07-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Hi All,

I saw a few posts earlier in this thread regarding people who have gotten on a waiting list for this unit. I have been on the fence between this and the Integra 40.2, but I think I've decided on the Marantz for the XLR preamps and MultEQ XT.

Can anyone tell me where to jump on a waiting list? I have a local dealer, but they didn't seem interested in preordering for me. I also see that they have a preorder list on crutchfield.com, but I have heard that they can be slow...any thoughts are appreciated!!

Thanks!
Ben

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 9639 Old 10-07-2010, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I went with Crutchfield!
post #363 of 9639 Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post

Hi All,

I saw a few posts earlier in this thread regarding people who have gotten on a waiting list for this unit. I have been on the fence between this and the Integra 40.2, but I think I've decided on the Marantz for the XLR preamps and MultEQ XT.

Can anyone tell me where to jump on a waiting list? I have a local dealer, but they didn't seem interested in preordering for me. I also see that they have a preorder list on crutchfield.com, but I have heard that they can be slow...any thoughts are appreciated!!

Thanks!
Ben

Ben:

Just sent you PM hope it helps.
post #364 of 9639 Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake2003 View Post

Does the AV7005 have a "direct pass through" mode for plain old stereo? For example when sourcing from the CD input I want attenuation only - no room correction or DSP functions.

Based on the pics at crutchfield.com the AV7005 has 'pure direct'

R
post #365 of 9639 Old 10-07-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone noticed that the pics at crutchfield.com show that the AV7005 is made in Japan? Not that there's anything wrong with anything being made in China LOL
post #366 of 9639 Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

We could even go in for conspiracy theories and wonder if Denon wanted to leave DSD off of the platform's HDMI outputs and reserve it for DenonLink so they could try to sell more of their universal BD players, which meant that when Marantz went to build products around the platform it was too hard to re-work things to include it. Of course, that's getting a bit far-fetched - and it requires that the Denon receivers using this platform include DenonLink with DSD support (which may not even be the case). Personally, I will probably stick with 3. and chalk it up to a combination of limited interest and licensing fees (possibly with DAC selection in the mix, as well)..

Personally think it's as easy as pricing. Sonys too price for the rights, and Marantz cut one of the lesser used options to hit a price mark. My AV8003 has DSD decoding over HDMI.
post #367 of 9639 Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake2003 View Post

Excuse the newbie question - I have never owned a multi-channel system before - I am used to plain old stereo systems.

Does the AV7005 have a "direct pass through" mode for plain old stereo? For example when sourcing from the CD input I want attenuation only - no room correction or DSP functions.

Is there a standard term for this mode? What do Denon/Pioneer/Yamaha/Onkyo/etc. call it?

Marantz has 2 versions for pass through. "Source Direct" and "Pure Direct" The first one is for Video sources, and the second for music. Because "Pure Direct" turns off the video circuts.

One who answered said not to know off room correction. And thats true, but personally I have noticed with my AV8003 that music do sound best in Pure Direct. Normally I have to turn the volume a little bit up to get the same volume out of the speakers. But the sound that is ment to be in center of the speakers, is dead on. When using EQ, its more "around" than dead center.
post #368 of 9639 Old 10-07-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersT2 View Post

Marantz has 2 versions for pass through. "Source Direct" and "Pure Direct" The first one is for Video sources, and the second for music. Because "Pure Direct" turns off the video circuts.

One who answered said not to know off room correction. And thats true, but personally I have noticed with my AV8003 that music do sound best in Pure Direct. Normally I have to turn the volume a little bit up to get the same volume out of the speakers. But the sound that is ment to be in center of the speakers, is dead on. When using EQ, its more "around" than dead center.

It could be that my room needs a lot of correcting, but I can't bear to turn Audyssey off!
post #369 of 9639 Old 10-07-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvanel View Post

Has anyone noticed that the pics at crutchfield.com show that the AV7005 is made in Japan? Not that there's anything wrong with anything being made in China LOL

Yep, the SR7005 is also made in japan. The AV8003 is made in china.
post #370 of 9639 Old 10-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Liked: 11
I'm sure alot of people on this board are also considering the SR7005 Receiver as I am. I am concerned however about the amp in the receiver and am leaning towards a Pre amp/Amp setup. The AV7005 seems to fit this very well, the question now would be the amp. I have read alot about the Emotiva amps but they certainly sound too good to be true for the price. Any thoughts on the AV7005 hooked up with a Emotiva XPA-5? I would think that for just $600 more you would have a substantially better setup than the SR7005 but my ears have not heard them. Any thoughts?
post #371 of 9639 Old 10-07-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersT2 View Post

Personally think it's as easy as pricing. Sonys too price for the rights, and Marantz cut one of the lesser used options to hit a price mark. My AV8003 has DSD decoding over HDMI.

No, that does not make sense unless Sony & Philips charge licensing fees for DSD decoding. And, even if they do, those licensing fees would apply to DSD capable DACs, not AVRs & pre/pros themselves.

On that note, the Denon 3311CI utilizes a DSD capable DAC (AKM AK4358), hence the rebadged Marantz SR7005/AV7005 ostensibly do, too. So, Denon & Marantz have simply elected not to utilize the DSD capability of the DAC in lesser models (i.e. below the 4311CI).

AJ
post #372 of 9639 Old 10-07-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:

I'm sure alot of people on this board are also considering the SR7005 Receiver as I am. I am concerned however about the amp in the receiver and am leaning towards a Pre amp/Amp setup. The AV7005 seems to fit this very well, the question now would be the amp. I have read alot about the Emotiva amps but they certainly sound too good to be true for the price. Any thoughts on the AV7005 hooked up with a Emotiva XPA-5? I would think that for just $600 more you would have a substantially better setup than the SR7005 but my ears have not heard them. Any thoughts?

This will be exactly my set up. Just pre ordered the av7005 today. hopefully i will have it before halloween. my dealer says they will ship no later than 10/31. so i won't be able to tell you specifically til then. but i've got very high hopes tho. i currently have an onkyo 705 to an XPA-5 and all i can say about the XPA-5 is that it rocks! been looking to upgrade to a pre/pro for a while and the fact that my onkyo is starting to give me trouble has made me look. after lots of research i settled on the av7005. for the money and my needs, it seems to fit me perfectly.

anywho. i think it will be a good combo. atleast i hope so.
post #373 of 9639 Old 10-07-2010, 06:47 PM

My bother in law recently changed from the xpa-5 to the outlaw 7500. He says he prefers the outlaw. I don't think there is much difference in price between the two, perhaps if you found the outlaw on the used market. They have a five year transferrable warranty. Other amps to consider in the appox. Price range may be B&K, rotel, or parasound.
post #374 of 9639 Old 10-07-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

No, that does not make sense unless Sony & Philips charge licensing fees for DSD decoding. And, even if they do, those licensing fees would apply to DSD capable DACs, not AVRs & pre/pros themselves.

I disagree. None of us are privy to the exact nature of licensing fees with these circuits and/or products, and the manufacturers want to keep it that way. Any guess on our parts is conjecture. The decision of which models will have which features activated, even though the same chip is capable of implementing nearly all of them and they all contain that chip, could simply be the marketing guys' decision to have "good, better, and best" marketing tiers with their subsequent prices and they choose to deactivate some features on some models simply to make there be more incentive to buy the pricier one.

With Dolby Noise Reduction (NR) in the 1970's the way it worked was that anyone could have the chip, anyone could activate it and provide an on off button for it, but only tape decks that paid the licensing fee could use the word "Dolby" on the faceplate or in advertising. JVC made a bold move to see if they could successfully market their tape decks as having "Super ANRS" [automatic noise reduction system] instead, without using the buzz word that sells; "Dolby". They were only partially successful and I think got into legal trouble at one point when their advertising said they were "compatible with Dolby". OOPS, they used the word!

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #375 of 9639 Old 10-08-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

I disagree. None of us are privy to the exact nature of licensing fees with these circuits and/or products, and the manufacturers want to keep it that way. Any guess on our parts is conjecture. The decision of which models will have which features activated, even though the same chip is capable of implementing nearly all of them and they all contain that chip, could simply be the marketing guys' decision to have "good, better, and best" marketing tiers with their subsequent prices and they choose to deactivate some features on some models simply to make there be more incentive to buy the pricier one.

With Dolby Noise Reduction (NR) in the 1970's the way it worked was that anyone could have the chip, anyone could activate it and provide an on off button for it, but only tape decks that paid the licensing fee could use the word "Dolby" on the faceplate or in advertising. JVC made a bold move to see if they could successfully market their tape decks as having "Super ANRS" [automatic noise reduction system] instead, without using the buzz word that sells; "Dolby". They were only partially successful and I think got into legal trouble at one point when their advertising said they were "compatible with Dolby". OOPS, they used the word!

I don't have time to look it up right now, but I seem to remember reading about the DAC that Marantz chose for this unit. It does not support the conversion, at least according to the documentation that I read.
post #376 of 9639 Old 10-08-2010, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

I don't have time to look it up right now, but I seem to remember reading about the DAC that Marantz chose for this unit. It does not support the conversion, at least according to the documentation that I read.

Where did you find that info? I am interested in learning about the DAC's they picked.
post #377 of 9639 Old 10-08-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

Where did you find that info? I am interested in learning about the DAC's they picked.

Sorry, I'm mistaken. I really don't know what DAC they are using. I must have been thinking about some other unit.
post #378 of 9639 Old 10-08-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alour View Post

I changed my Marantz MM8003 with a XPA-5. It had more power, and better control over the speakers than the MM8003. But I god noise issues, when sitting 3 meters away from the speakers (Klipsch), and I was bothered with the noise when there should be silence.

So I switched to Rotel RMB-1575. Got the same power and control, but also a lot more details. But It also had a double price.

A tip about the Emotivas, go for the UPA in stead. They're cheaper, has less power. But you use the difference in power a lot less often than you think. To utilise the extra power, you have to play extremely high.
Not only do you save a lot of money, but many also thinks the UPA sounds a little better than the XPA, but only not when playing at very high levels, ore with very difficult speakers connected.
post #379 of 9639 Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

... the Denon 3311CI utilizes a DSD capable DAC (AKM AK4358), hence the rebadged Marantz SR7005/AV7005 ostensibly do, too. So, Denon & Marantz have simply elected not to utilize the DSD capability of the DAC in lesser models (i.e. below the 4311CI).

AJ

To the best of my knowledge, this is true. The Marantz AV7005 is physiclly capable of DSD via the embedded AKM AK4358 chip, however due to political, financial, licensing, marketing, or other reasons we are not privy to and probably never will be, the circuitry has been disabled.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #380 of 9639 Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
I wonder how accurate this is? Gibby's and Crutchfield are both showing Burr-Brown DACs in the specs
http://www.gibbysaudiovideo.com/mara...05-p-5847.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MH8c28B...tz-AV7005.html

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #381 of 9639 Old 10-08-2010, 12:42 PM

Do Gibby's often charge 'more than MSRP' for items? They are asking $1899.

Or maybe they are aware that the previously quoted MSRP of $1499 isn't going to be true?

I see Crutchfield is asking $1499.
post #382 of 9639 Old 10-08-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnite View Post

Or maybe they are aware that the previously quoted MSRP of $1499 isn't going to be true?

Yeah, prices are high for everything on that site.
post #383 of 9639 Old 10-08-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnite View Post

Gibby's is in Canada and the Canadian MSRP for the AV7005 is $1899 http://ca.marantz.com/Products/2646.asp

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #384 of 9639 Old 10-08-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Gibby's is in Canada and the Canadian MSRP for the AV7005 is $1899 http://ca.marantz.com/Products/2646.asp

Ah. Thanks.
post #385 of 9639 Old 10-08-2010, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

I wonder how accurate this is? Gibby's and Crutchfield are both showing Burr-Brown DACs in the specs
http://www.gibbysaudiovideo.com/mara...05-p-5847.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MH8c28B...tz-AV7005.html

I would think Burr-Brown DACs are used to convert incoming analog signals, like a tape deck, VCR, or any other device that connects with the RCA phono jacks, into a digital signal, true, but the conversion of incoming digital signals into DSD multi ch sound, (if it had that feature), is by the AKM chip.

Wait a minute, mayber I'm wrong, that would be an ADC not a DAC. nevermind.

post #386 of 9639 Old 10-08-2010, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

I would think Burr-Brown DACs are used to convert incoming analog signals, like a tape deck, VCR, or any other device that connects with the RCA phono jacks, into a digital signal, true, but the conversion of incoming digital signals into DSD multi ch sound, (if it had that feature), is by the AKM chip.

An ADC (analog-to-digital) chip would convert analog signals to digital. Both sites list "192kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converters for all channels" - if they are correct, those are the chips that would be converting digital signals (from the DSP section) into analog. A DSD input would need to either be able to bypass the DSP section entirely (since it couldn't be processed by the DSP without conversion to PCM) and delivered to a DSD-capable DAC or converted to PCM by the DSP for processing before delivery to the DAC.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #387 of 9639 Old 10-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Is it possible that, even though the SR/AV7005 and the Denon 3311 are obviously based on the same chassis, that they are using entirely different quality of caps/resistors in there?

The Marantz is using HDAM discrete "opamps" to start with - so they have tweaked the audio path for sure already. Unless we see reviews it will be impossible to tell of course.

I see people going on and on about DACs, but it's really in how they are applied, and which kind of opamps are used etc.

In the internet days like today - no company would destroy the Marantz name by simply cloning a Denon completely and make no further (non-esthetic) changes?

From the looks of this though, I'm inclined to hold on to my Denon 4306 a little longer (HDMI 1.1 does all I need with PS3 "fat" as a source - except for occasional dropouts)

Yves
post #388 of 9639 Old 10-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

D&M Holdings is now owned by some VC vultures. Such types would happily destroy Marantz name if it can make them a quick buck.
post #389 of 9639 Old 10-11-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully we will get some confirmation soon on release date and the kind of DAC's being utilized.

I am looking forward to upgrading!
post #390 of 9639 Old 10-12-2010, 11:39 AM

Did everyone see that the AV7005 will support Apple's new AirPlay. Was posted on Engadget.com this morning. This is a nice plus even though there will be an upgrade cost associated with it.

I am seriously looking at this Pre/Pro as a replacement to my B&K Reference 70 as B&K is no more.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page