Forum Jump: 

post #4231 of 9667 Old 03-08-2011, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecund View Post

I do have an external that will probably use via the preouts of SR7005. I believe in separates. But I am wondering if in this case the 100 dollar price difference doesn't warrant overriding that belief. What specifically does the SR fail out that the AV won't? Its all the same chips and i'd doubt I'd use XLR outputs either way.

The AV has better shielding schemes thereby minimizing electromagnetic interference, more room inside that again help reduce any interference between components and better cooling. Further, being in a separate box it eliminates interference between the power amp (high current/power) section and the preamp section (low power). I also find with everything in one box, there are just too many wires at the back, too messy for my liking. If you read the HTM review you will see that the AV7005 has much better cross talk and S/N numbers.

I suppose the SR does offer one advantage in that for most home applications the build in amps should be good enough for the surround channels so you only have to add a 3 channel power amp for the front speaker. For some applications there may not be a need to add an external amp at all because the internal amps are quite decent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 9667 Old 03-08-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by avman09 View Post

If you read the HTM review you will see that the AV7005 has much better cross talk and S/N numbers.

I'm dubious. For example, receiver reviews usually or at least often take their readings from the speaker outs, not the preamp outs, so the two are not comparable. Anyone have links to these two reviews handy?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #4233 of 9667 Old 03-08-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Read your quote again:

Saying that "anyone who owns a decent CD or universal player would not be using the DAC in the prepro {sic} anyway except for HT contents" is a sweeping generalization, an ill formed opinion that you assert as fact. I repeat -- nonsense.

AJ

You misunderstood my point. Please note I used the word 'would' (subjunctive/opinion), not 'will'. It is in fact my opinion (just me okay) that anyone who has a player such as a high end Denon, Oppo 83SE, external DAC etc., 'would' not 'likely' (for better clarity) used the AV7005's internal DAC unless they want to stick with digital so as to take advantage of signal processing including Audyssey. Of course there will be exceptions, to say 'anyone' is just my way of emphasizing/exaggerating a point. In cases where people stick to the digital way, they may be more focus on the signal processing/room correction side and less so on the purist goal so they probably still don't miss or care much about those higher end DAC. In fact another member just stated something like that in a recent post. All in all I was making a point that Marantz is being wise making choices in order to stay with their manufacturing budget for this product.

Whether you care or not, up until this point you are my highly respected member and I have read every one of your posts on this thread, for I recognized that your posts are always informative and enlightening. On the other hand if you are going to just nitpick on my choice of words in one post, then you go ahead and repeat the same kind of mean rebuttal/scolding a million times and I 'would' just move on as there is no use for me to get upset about something like this anymore. .
post #4234 of 9667 Old 03-08-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

I'm dubious. For example, receiver reviews usually or at least often take their readings from the speaker outs, not the preamp outs, so the two are not comparable. Anyone have links to these two reviews handy?

As usual, I agree with your point. It is in fact like comparing apple and orange, to a point. However, the lab measurements show the AV7005 as good as the AV8003 in cross talks, THD+N and S/N but has flatter FR. For example the AV7005 has S/N measured <-121 dBrA, if you couple it to a say MM7055, it is hard to imagine the overall S/N would drop to the SR7005's level of around -98 dBrA (by memory).

The SR7005 review was done at least two issues ago so it is on their website (www.hometheatermag.com) but the AV7005 is in the current issue so it won't be available for probably another couple of months. I subscribe to HTM so I have read the review but I would have bought it anyway as I like to own a hard copy of reviews with lab measurements for the product I own.
post #4235 of 9667 Old 03-08-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally received the 7005 set it up. So far I like the unit.

m. zillch: Using my Pioneer Elite AVR to power the side and back surrounds works great.

The question I have is why side surrounds are sometimes barely audible while the backs are outputting normal sound? I'm only referring to primetime 5.1 broadcasts. I have the 7005 set to Dolby Digital PllxMV. This is the setting where I hear the problem. If I change the setting to PllxMS, the sides come back to life in action scenes when you expect some surround sound.

I've gone through the sound level speaker check and the noise output is as expected from all speakers so it seems it's the mode.

On the other hand, some prime time 5.1 shows have the correct amount of side and back surround activity in the MV mode.

The "Chicago Code" is one of the shows where I get almost nothing from the sides but an expected amount of sound from the rears in the MV mode but if I change to MS, the sides perk-up and the backs stay the same (normal).

Any thoughts? What's the real life difference between DD PllxMV and MS? Thank you
post #4236 of 9667 Old 03-08-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

^ I believe what you are noticing is that some shows use:

A) a stereophonic surround signal where the SL and SR have very little in common (surround sides will be prominent and the surround backs will be fainter), when a surround signal is present

B) a stereophonic surround signal where the SL and the SR have some content in common (surround sides and backs will both be prominent), when a surround signal is present

C) a monophonic surround signal where the SL and SR of the native signal are completely correlated (the same) which makes the processor steer most of the sound to the surround backs and little to the surround sides, when a surround signal is present.

The surround backs are analogous to the front center speaker, that is it (they) plays what's in common ("what's in the middle") to the L and R speakers flanking it (them). The "movie" vs "music" sub modes, as you've correctly noticed, are used to mitigate this effect depending on if you like it or don't like it.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #4237 of 9667 Old 03-09-2011, 06:21 AM

Could someone please tell me how to get Airplay to work? It say theres an upgrade ready, but then says there is no feature installed? How do I install airplay and get it to work?

Thanks..
post #4238 of 9667 Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:

As usual, I agree with your point. It is in fact like comparing apple and orange, to a point. However, the lab measurements show the AV7005 as good as the AV8003 in cross talks, THD+N and S/N but has flatter FR. For example the AV7005 has S/N measured <-121 dBrA, if you couple it to a say MM7055, it is hard to imagine the overall S/N would drop to the SR7005's level of around -98 dBrA (by memory).

The SR7005 review was done at least two issues ago so it is on their website (www.hometheatermag.com) but the AV7005 is in the current issue so it won't be available for probably another couple of months. I subscribe to HTM so I have read the review but I would have bought it anyway as I like to own a hard copy of reviews with lab measurements for the product I own.

In addition to the HTM article I read an article in a Norwegian AV magazine this week where they tested the AV 7005 and MM 7055 combo. The reviewer then compared the AV 7005 with the SR 7005 they tested a few issues ago and stated that the AV clearly bettered the SR in performance (not functionality as they both do the same things). He listed noise level and channel separation as the two major "better" points. The article contained no measurements though.

However, if you go back a few pages on this thread, there was a very detailed test in a German magazine which was linked to a Google-translated version which also reflected the improved performance of the AV to the SR with quite a number of high quality measurements.

Now, will all of this really mean highly audible results to you in your system?? Only you can tell - or take the risk of not knowing. I personally chose the AV 7005 with two MM 7055s and couldn't be happier - but I'm sure you'll be happy either way

Regards Skule
post #4239 of 9667 Old 03-09-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djack40 View Post

Could someone please tell me how to get Airplay to work? It say theres an upgrade ready, but then says there is no feature installed? How do I install airplay and get it to work?

Thanks..

This would be the place to start from:

http://us.marantz.com/us/airplay/index.html
post #4240 of 9667 Old 03-09-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinarello View Post

In addition to the HTM article I read an article in a Norwegian AV magazine this week where they tested the AV 7005 and MM 7055 combo. The reviewer then compared the AV 7005 with the SR 7005 they tested a few issues ago and stated that the AV clearly bettered the SR in performance (not functionality as they both do the same things). He listed noise level and channel separation as the two major "better" points.

Link, please. [no need for an English translation, thank you]

post #4241 of 9667 Old 03-09-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As usual, I agree with your point. It is in fact like comparing apple and orange, to a point.

I personally refer to that point as "end of story". Comparing the S/N ratio of the preamp is not comparable to the speaker outputs of a receiver, instead of its own preamp level outputs. Everything else is immaterial.

post #4242 of 9667 Old 03-09-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
playing around a bit with the web controller...

is there anywhere in there that you can set the surround mode? i've paged through everything there, and can't seem to find it, and want to make sure i'm just not being dense...

i found the "audio adjust" where you can adjust the surround parameters once you are in a given surround mode...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4243 of 9667 Old 03-09-2011, 04:58 PM

Lost hdmi picture again. Turned it on, got wavy colors for a few seconds and then nothing. I tried the gefen hdmi detective I bought- still nothing. Last time, unplugging everything for hours then plugging it back in is what worked. Both times, i had switched between new and old Apple tv's. Very frustrating. I'll plug it all back after work tonight. Must be hdmi handshake issue.
post #4244 of 9667 Old 03-09-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:

I personally refer to that point as "end of story". Comparing the S/N ratio of the preamp is not comparable to the speaker outputs of a receiver, instead of its own preamp level outputs. Everything else is immaterial.

I have to agree, we can't compare them directly, but it is like in mathematics, when you cannot prove something directly you could try using the technique call mathematical induction, remember that one?

I know I can't win this one, but by induction I think the 121.42 dB based on HTM lab measured SN of the AV7005 (preamp section only) is going to be better than the 96 dB, also measured by HTM lab of an AVR (overall from input to speaker output). Now even if I turn out to be right, I do realize that it would mean nothing unless the AV7005 is working with a power amp that also has superior S/N.

In reality, I doubt S/N of 100 or 120 would make much difference but I think cross talks in the <70 dB range could be audible.
post #4245 of 9667 Old 03-09-2011, 06:04 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifichip76 View Post

Lost hdmi picture again. Turned it on, got wavy colors for a few seconds and then nothing. I tried the gefen hdmi detective I bought- still nothing. Last time, unplugging everything for hours then plugging it back in is what worked. Both times, i had switched between new and old Apple tv's. Very frustrating. I'll plug it all back after work tonight. Must be hdmi handshake issue.

I'm having the same intermittent issue, time to report it into Marantz.
post #4246 of 9667 Old 03-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 View Post

I'm having the same intermittent issue, time to report it into Marantz.

me too. usually switching inputs, then back clears it up. agree that it seems to be a HDMI handshake issue.
post #4247 of 9667 Old 03-09-2011, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know I can't win this one...

Good to see we are in agreement.
---

Quote:

but I think cross talks in the <70 dB range could be audible

"Crosstalk", aka "channel separation", in amps and preamps has been at the level of being completely transparent ("perfect" in that the differences are inaudible or "invisible" to human beings using normal music material) for several decades now even on introductory gear. It's pointless to compare which is better, 76 dB vs 176 dB, or whatever, since to a human there is no difference. The last vestiges of gear where we might still worry about that spec is in the few remaining mediums that use electrical transducers (a device that takes one form of energy such as magnetic flux or the physical wiggles of a record groove and changes it into an electrical signal) to read the information off the medium such as tape deck heads or phono cartridges. Here the little, tiny magnetic fields of one channel's coil may accidentally bleed over to the adjacent channel's coil since they are so close. [As well as the medium itself and the machine which made it also having some contribution to the overall "crosstalk"]

Although that magazine only gives a measurement at 1 kHz, crosstalk in both preamps and power amps is quite good even many octaves away from that standard test frequency whereas the audiophile's much beloved format the LP isn't even remotely as good at 1 kHz, and would be considered downright pathetic (compared to amps) at other frequencies, yet is still quite listenable, has good imaging with a wide soundstage, and in no sense sounds like the two channels have been partially "blended" [which is how a truly terrible crosstalk measurement would manifest itself]:

source

"A", the solid trace, is considered a "good cartridge" yet only has 30 dB of crosstalk at 1 kHz whereas "B", the dashed trace, is considered an inferior cartridge with perhaps 21 dB of crosstalk. The top trace of each is the test signal and the bottom is the accidental bleeding of that signal into the alternate, silent channel's output.

post #4248 of 9667 Old 03-10-2011, 04:14 AM

Quote:

Link, please. [no need for an English translation, thank you]

Sorry, it is in a paper magazine and not available online. I'll try to scan it and PM it to you next week.

Skule
post #4249 of 9667 Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 AM
AEC

Had the same issue this weekend. I turned off the system and powered back up and the lines disappeared. I had a video "handshake" issue once before. Resolved it the same way. I have had an issue of losing all sound when switching between sound formats as well. This has not occurred for quite a while (a month or so). It occurred when I was experimenting w/both music and video (FIOS) in DPLiix music/movie and back to stereo or pure direct. I tend to think that I simply overloaded it w/commands. A power off/power on resolved the situation. I agree that it is time for Marantz to be notified of the issue.
post #4250 of 9667 Old 03-10-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I just want to weigh in on the speculation earlier this week on whether Marantz is planning a higher end model. I conclude from the spec sheet posted on their European web site that there is a higher end model coming.

http://www.marantz.eu/en/products/273/av7005/

I don't think they would draw attention to all the AV7005 missing features if there wasn't a model coming with those features. Nobody's marketing could be that bad.

Having said that, after months of waiting I went out and bought the 7005. If the model up comes out I will consider the upgrade.

Cheers

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
post #4251 of 9667 Old 03-10-2011, 07:38 AM

Has anyone compared the sound quality between a Marantz AV7005 and one of the higher level Anthem receivers, possibly the Anthem MRX 500 or MRX 700?

B&W 804D2, B&W HTM4 center, LSiFX surrounds, HSU sub, Onkyo TX-NR3010, Parasound Halo A31, NAD t975
post #4252 of 9667 Old 03-10-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

Home Theater Magazine vs. Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

So my Home Theater mag finally arrived today with its mostly glowing review of the 7005. The lone digital video "Fail" is chroma resolution with Video Convert enabled.

The previously published online review from SHT&HF locates the problem at 4:4:4 input, with 4:2:2 not showing the chroma problem.

Can I therefore infer that HT didn't test the 7005 with 4:2:2 input, which would presumably have passed their test?

The reviewer Michael Fremer in HTM called the AV7005 "Flat Out Brilliant" and said"I'm buying one"

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60 surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #4253 of 9667 Old 03-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kredmore View Post

me too. usually switching inputs, then back clears it up. agree that it seems to be a HDMI handshake issue.

Glad it's not just me! Didn't work at all last night, either. Just flashed colors and lines when I turn it on switch inputs... I sometimes get teased with a second or two of picture before it cruelly takes it away.

I wrote to Marantz last night. Let's all do that.
post #4254 of 9667 Old 03-10-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:

"Crosstalk", aka "channel separation", in amps and preamps has been at the level of being completely transparent ("perfect" in that the differences are inaudible or "invisible" to human beings using normal music material) for several decades now even on introductory gear. It's pointless to compare which is better, 76 dB vs 176 dB, or whatever, since to a human there is no difference. Although that magazine only gives a measurement at 1 kHz, crosstalk in both preamps and power amps is quite good even many octaves away from that standard test frequency

I know I cannot hear any "bleed through" when listening to two channel music material but when I say it can be heard I meant if you really want to hear it. For example you can do an experiment as follow:

For a stereo setup,

1. Connect just one channel say the left channel, from the AV7005 left main pre-out to your power amp left main input so the preamp cross talk is sort of out of the equation.

2. Disconnect the left channel loudspeaker so it cannot make any sound.

3. Turn the volume up to say 0, or even higher such as -10, put your ear near your right speaker, and you will hear music bleeding through from the left channel of the AV7005. Or you can just use the test tone from the AV7005 instead of a media player.

The above test is easy to do, and it shows how much bleed through you will get in your power amp. You can change the procedure to do the same for the AV7005 but it is a little more work. I did this with several amps including the MM8003 and I can hear the bleed through this way. With the MM8003 it gets a little better if I use the 1st (left main) and last (option) channels. I assume they are probably further apart internally and are supplied by the two different windings of the transformer.

By the way, if you have good and strong FM reception, you can also hear it when you are using one of the analog inputs but you do have to turn the volume way up. I would think the higher end pre-pro tuner with CT in the high 90's would do better.

Again, I also think in practical sense all these may well be irrelevant, but then we can say the same about many things in this hobby including the measurable differences between 0.05% and 0.001% THD, FR of +/-0.1 dB 20 to 20,000 or 5 to 100,000 kHz, CD to SACD etc., I mean we can't tell the difference anyway.

I know most people don't care much about specs and lab measurements, for those who do, I tabulated some numbers from HTM.

Pre-pro/Tuner Price S/N CT L/R CT R/L FR direct (50kHz) FR with SP (50kHz)
DHC-40.2 $1,200.00 -123.2 -90.76 -92.5 -0.13 -40.45
AV7005 $1,499.00 -121.49 -87.87 -87.25 -0.07 -15.66
DTC-9.8 $1,600.00 -125.3 -93.06 -92.86 -0.1 -23.43
DHC-9.9 $2,000.00 -124.35 -95.16 -94.29 -0.04 -22.72
RSP-1069 $2,199.00 -121.12 -81.54 -79.73 -0.56 -47.68
DHC-80.1 $2,300.00 -121 -93.09 -91.33 -0.02 -26.38
AV-8003 $2,600.00 -122.19 -87.35 -86.48 -11.09 -47.53
M15 $2,999.00 -121.07 -95.13 -95.71 -57.74 -58.08
AVM-40 $3,699.00 -121.4 -96.76 -95.89 -5.4 -56.13
RSP-1570 $4,998.00 -125.27 -79.08 -79.2 -0.57 -46.9
D2 $6,699.00 -123.67 -96.23 -88.66 -0.59 -43.83
Cinema 11a $8,000.00 -121.21 -92.5 -92.02 -0.43 -13.49
AVP-AVHDC1 $15,000.00 -114.05 -111.95 -110.75 NA NA
Class'e CT-SSP$18,000.00 -122.13 -102.32 -102.93 -0.01 -18.51

The list prices for the high end Rotel, Anthem, Denon, and Class'e are for prepro/tuner power amp combo.
post #4255 of 9667 Old 03-10-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop View Post

I just want to weigh in on the speculation earlier this week on whether Marantz is planning a higher end model. I conclude from the spec sheet posted on their European web site that there is a higher end model coming.

http://www.marantz.eu/en/products/273/av7005/

I don't think they would draw attention to all the AV7005 missing features if there wasn't a model coming with those features. Nobody's marketing could be that bad.

Having said that, after months of waiting I went out and bought the 7005. If the model up comes out I will consider the upgrade.

Cheers

That's a stretch. Their spec sheet is likely a standard template. I'd assume across their line of AVR's and Pre-pro's at least one existing device meets a specification the AV7005 fails to meet. It's simply a standardized format for presenting the specs for comparison amongst current Marantz products. Listing the features the AV7005 doesn't have also saves them from answering customer inquiries of 'does this receiver have xyz'? If you want to call it poor marketing that's your opinion but to say it's indicative of bigger and better things to come it's wishful thinking.
post #4256 of 9667 Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifichip76 View Post

Glad it's not just me! Didn't work at all last night, either. Just flashed colors and lines when I turn it on switch inputs... I sometimes get teased with a second or two of picture before it cruelly takes it away.

I wrote to Marantz last night. Let's all do that.

I also called Marantz to report the handshake issue, they blamed it on my DVR. I mentioned that other folks are reporting it too but they didn't care.
post #4257 of 9667 Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 View Post

I also called Marantz to report the handshake issue, they blamed it on my DVR. Mentioned that other folks are reporting it too but they didn't care.

Marantz replied to my email:

I would strongly suggest calling for live support, something like this will require some live troubleshooting. 201-762-6666. Thank you.
post #4258 of 9667 Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 PM

MAJOR handshaking issues here as well... I cannot output picture from any of my 3 (three!) (TWC) cable boxes to my Panny plasma (50" industrial model from 5 years ago, only one HDMI input, v1.1) when connecting them through the SR7005.

At the same time my other three source equipment (PS3, XB360, Zino HTPC) work just fine... Cable guy was troubleshooting onsite for 2 hrs already, with no prevail... When he left I called Marantz, they still blamed it on the cable box(es) - saying something about some "repeater flag firmware update" needed for the set tops. Called Cable Co. again; they havent heard of such a flag yet...

VERY frustrating.

BTW, short, v1.4a HDMI cable runs only. Ironically my SR8001 was working just fine with the very same equipment, but I wanted AirPlay plus easy switching of HDMI outs from remote... I am actually thinking of either giving up on TV viewing in my living room completely or maybe trying (buying...) a new 50" plasma TV. (Talking about extreme measures!)

Too many to list. ;)
post #4259 of 9667 Old 03-10-2011, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Again, I also think in practical sense all these may well be irrelevant, but then we can say the same about many things in this hobby including the measurable differences between 0.05% and 0.001% THD, FR of +/-0.1 dB 20 to 20,000 or 5 to 100,000 kHz, CD to SACD etc., I mean we can't tell the difference anyway.

Exactly. And when you come to realize this in your heart and that all the reviewers who condescendingly ridicule our "inferior hearing skills" or "junky peripheral equipment" as being the reason we can't hear what "they hear" is all a bunch of bull, is when you have evolved to the next level of audio enlightenment.

Congratulations young Grasshopper, you have successfully snatched the pebble from the Master's hand. "Time for you to leave.":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gASY7Lj5GPQ

post #4260 of 9667 Old 03-11-2011, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

truer words have never been spoken...

to all who are having difficulty with cable boxes... marantz likely isn't lying to you, it's likely the cable box... cable boxes are notorious for being "difficult" with hdmi... to be honest, they are just about the only thing left that exhibits difficulties on a regular basis (well, those and htpc's)...

the "workaround" is to connect the cable box to the avr with component/spdif... pq and aq will be the same...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page