Marantz AV7005 - Page 145 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4321 of 9656 Old 03-16-2011, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All,
Figured I'd provide my input into this processor after about a month. This is specific to 2-channel music, as I have only watched a couple movies, but spent a decent amount of time listening to CDs. First of all, this is replacing a Lexicon DC1 (upgraded to a DC2). Also, at the same time, I made some changes to the system, combining 2 separate systems into one.

OLD System1:
Lexicon, Proceed amp (mains), Marantz monoblocks (center, surrounds), Blu-ray, DVD, TV, B&W 604S2, LCRS2, Surrounds, Velodyne HGS18 sub

OLD System 2:
Jolida EL34 Tube amp, Arcam CD, Music Hall mmf-9 TT, Silverline Sonata speakers.

NEW System:
Marantz AV7005, All above sources, apple TV, Proceed amp (main), Marantz monoblocks (center, surrounds), Silverline Sonatas, B&W LCRS2 Center and B&W surrounds.

Complicated, I know, but since both systems were in the same room (and looked crowded and like a stereo shop) this new set-up is much better on the eyes.

Photo:

So, the first time I ran Audyssey I was not impressed. It told me my Silverlines were out of phase, I ignored this. Ran 7 locations (around couch) and the sound was very thin, with almost no bass. Audyssey selected my mains and center to be large. I changed them to small and it still sounded very week. I MUCH preferred listening to CDs in Pure Direct over Stereo, despite not having the sub in play. Even so, in Pure Direct the sound was not even close to the sound of the tube system, as it lacked depth, soundstage, warmth (a given) and just sounded meh to me. Also, it did not sound as good as the Lexicon/ B&W 604 set-up I had.

So, a week later, I re-ran audyssey (using a total of 8 locations) and had somewhat better results, but some major flaws. Again, it said my mains were out of phase and I ignored this again. This slightly increased the bass (but it was pinned at -12db) but threw the soundstage way off to the right. This was evidenced by a 2db difference between main L and main R speakers. I got pretty frustrated and was considering giving up and calling the local high end shop to pay them to come set this thing up, but decided to start playing around with some setting.

I increased the sub from -12db to -10db and also changed the L/R to the same (added 1, substrated 1) value. Surprisingly, this made a HUGE improvement. I really did not make any additional changes, but this slight modification was night and day. The soundstage was centered and deep and opened up. The bass was just right. There was incredible detail and a hint of warmth. Now, I MUCH prefer the sound using Stereo to Pure Direct mode, as the addition of the sub really fills in the music (the silverlines have surprisingly little bass for the size, at least in my room).

Also, I find that the DMax function works quite well improving the sound of the MP3s in my collection and the Apple TV works great (love the added features over airplay). I have no handshake issues and the internet radio, USB, etc. are pretty cool options to plug in some music while eating or doing something not critical listening.

Overall, I am very impressed. While it doesn't have the sweetness or warmth of the tube set-up (not pretending it would compete in this regard) the sound is very impressive and much better than the Lexicon/ B&W and Lexicon/ Silverline. While needing some tweeking, audyssey appears to work quite well.

Again, only put a couple movies through it but was quite impressed with Dolby TrueHD (first time I heard a film in this) and look forward to more time in front of films.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 9656 Old 03-16-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon SS View Post

Don't get me wrong, definitely worth the upgrade from the C2 which is a fantastic unit. I think I would upgrade just for HDMI, Dynamic EQ and Audyssey alone, especially for the price (more than half of what I paid for my C2 - I am in Canada!).

I suspect the sound would be better than the older SR9300 especially with the room correction. Why would you want to keep the SR9300? I guess you would need to buy an amplifier.

Yep, exactly the dilemma. I have absolutely zero complaints with what the 9300 does... my issues are with what it wasn't really designed to do. It's a great receiver, it's still sounds great, and when I push HD Master/TrueHD through it (decoded on the BluRay player) it still sounds fantastic.

So I guess I'm looking for an inexpensive way to sort of upgrade the missing pieces and hold on to a receiver that I still like. But I have a feeling that it probably makes more sense to just buy a new receiver...

It would be so much easier if I bought crappy equipment and really hated everything afterward. This will be like the 2nd or 3rd time I will have to upgrade a receiver or separates that I still really like and that work just fine for what they were intended to do.
post #4323 of 9656 Old 03-16-2011, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is time to go digital. I have an av7005 on order. It is replacing my Anthem AVM-20 and feed my anthem PVA 7.
I have considered the Pioneer sv-37.

Are there any annoyances that you want Marantz to fix? (I would have liked HDMI to zone 2, but that is unrealistic today.)
post #4324 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 03:33 AM

Thanks for the encouragement!!!!!...LOL...I actually resolved the issue. Went to Asus support site downloaded updated sound drivers and re-installed sound and video drivers for the Asus PC and solved the problem. No more turning off and on for the video and Audio!!! So far its been fun. The av7005 is nice and I just about have all the bugs out. Not sure what to do about the Cable box DVR yet,but I have some ideas to put in play over the next week or so......
post #4325 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjordan93436 View Post

It is time to go digital. I have an av7005 on order. It is replacing my Anthem AVM-20 and feed my anthem PVA 7.
I have considered the Pioneer sv-37.

Are there any annoyances that you want Marantz to fix? (I would have liked HDMI to zone 2, but that is unrealistic today.)

My biggest complaint is that it takes a while for a new signal to lock on. If they could increase the mute time then this would also be fine (easy to do with firmware upgrade?). I find that while I fast forward commercials when the show restarts again I sometimes get a "thud" sound which is annoying.
post #4326 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilcoFord View Post

Hmm. That's less enthusiastic than I had expected. Perhaps this would be a more subtle upgrade and not a big, big difference?

It is possible to use the AV7005 as a preamp to the SR9300 right? Would I use the unbalanced preamp outs, or the audio outs on the AV7005?

Possible, good idea I don't personally think so. Basically you will have two preamps in circuit and your Audyssey measurements will be skewed because of it. Maybe as a stopgap measure, but it seems a waste of money to buy a pre/processor and then do that. I'd just get another receiver if the total cost is an issue. Or source a second hand THX certified multichannel power amp. I recall NAD used to make an huge 5 channel THX amp, that must be available second hand by now (did you ever use the THX processing modes on the receiver?).

This was a triumph
post #4327 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjordan93436 View Post

the only real "annoyance" i've come across (and i'm rather sensitive to "annoyances" ) is that the volume control from the remote accelerates like a scalded dog... that would appear to be a d&m "feature", as they all exhibit that same behaviour...

well, one other annoyance... they mucked up the airplay implementation for subzones... that would only effect a user who actually uses subzones (like me, for example)... dependent on the user, that may or may not be an issue, and i simply went back to using my mac mini as the main streaming device... it's nice to have the airplay function when someone else is using my main itunes library though...

all advertised features appear to "work", and i haven't come across any quirky behaviour (another thing i'm rather sensitive to)...

other than that, there's the occasional "normal" hdcp issues with non-certified devices (cable boxes, htpc's, old sinks)... that's not the "fault" of the pre-pro...

i too would have liked hdmi to zone 2 (in addition to a couple other things, like firewire, for example, but firewire is dead tech now)... if you are looking for hdmi to zone 2, the only "current" units that i'm aware of that will do that are the yammy aventages (thanks to jd for pointing that out to me)... i'm gonna take a wag that it will show up on some other units this year, but that's just a wag...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4328 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemmoomin View Post

Possible, good idea I don't personally think so. Basically you will have two preamps in circuit and your Audyssey measurements will be skewed because of it. Maybe as a stopgap measure, but it seems a waste of money to buy a pre/processor and then do that. I'd just get another receiver if the total cost is an issue. Or source a second hand THX certified multichannel power amp. I recall NAD used to make an huge 5 channel THX amp, that must be available second hand by now (did you ever use the THX processing modes on the receiver?).

I would agree, you could get the receiver version SR7005 or AV7005 and a used amp. The advantage I found with separates is that I just upgraded my processor and kept my amps which I am very happy with. Although you need much more room which not everybody has.
post #4329 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply. I am always concerned about annoyances and the WAF. If I know about them beforehand, it helps. For example, with the old anthem there is NO gui in HD.

I hope zone 2 works fine as I want to mount a flat screen in the front room on a wall with no boxes nearby.

I also hope zone 3 will be easy for broadcasting music.
post #4330 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

both zone 2 and zone 3 work "as advertised"... i run a 3 zone setup off of mine...

however, before assuming it will send video the want "you want", make sure that it's "advertised" to do it the way you want...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4331 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Thank you. That's not something I had considered.

I think I have now convinced myself to replace the SR9300 rather than try to use it in some other way. Perhaps I can find use for it in another part of the house (I gave away the Marantz receiver the SR9300 replaced).

Anyway, yes I use the THX processing modes all the time and I'm currently wired for 7.1 here.
post #4332 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon SS View Post

I would agree, you could get the receiver version SR7005 or AV7005 and a used amp. The advantage I found with separates is that I just upgraded my processor and kept my amps which I am very happy with. Although you need much more room which not everybody has.

You know I started out 20 some odd years ago with separates because I thought they sounded better and I hoped I could continue to upgrade part of the system and get more mileage out of other parts. Then came multichannel processing and the whole setup was scrapped for a 5.1 receiver. So much for strength of my conviction...

If I had more money to throw at it, I think multiple separate amps would be the way to go. More channels just means more amps not necessarily different amps, and processors can be replaced if/when necessary. But I'm not currently that fortunate so I will probably wait for a bargain on another Marantz receiver. I have been amazingly happy with the last two...

Thank you all for your help! This is a great resource!
post #4333 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Possible, good idea I don't personally think so. Basically you will have two preamps in circuit and your Audyssey measurements will be skewed because of it.

Nope. If the second avr/amp is set direct/bypass/pure (whatever), Audyssey in the first avr will work just fine.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #4334 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Nope. If the second avr/amp is set direct/bypass/pure (whatever), Audyssey in the first avr will work just fine.

I know I'm arguing the toss here, but Audyssey is measuring the response of your speakers while being driven by your amp correct? So if you put a non linear variable volume device in the middle (ie another preamp) of that surely that will skew your readings?

This was a triumph
post #4335 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:

You know I started out 20 some odd years ago with separates because I thought they sounded better and I hoped I could continue to upgrade part of the system and get more mileage out of other parts. Then came multichannel processing and the whole setup was scrapped for a 5.1 receiver. So much for strength of my conviction...

If I had more money to throw at it, I think multiple separate amps would be the way to go. More channels just means more amps not necessarily different amps, and processors can be replaced if/when necessary. But I'm not currently that fortunate so I will probably wait for a bargain on another Marantz receiver. I have been amazingly happy with the last two...

Thank you all for your help! This is a great resource!

Well...I have separates started about 25 years ago with them after many recievers....I still have original speakers Fronts and Rears....still have same amps after all the years but have changed Pre-amps 4 times,Center speaker two times and subs once and added two subs.....Love the seperates Amps and they sound as good as they did when I bought them!!! Added one for 7 channels some years back and two more speakers. Every one told me Amps cost too much back when i bought them...lol...still going!!!!!
post #4336 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I know I'm arguing the toss here, but Audyssey is measuring the response of your speakers while being driven by your amp correct? So if you put a non linear variable volume device in the middle (ie another preamp) of that surely that will skew your readings?

What "non linear variable volume device?" The other AVR? It is as linear as any other amp if you bypass all processing and always keep the VC at exactly the same setting all the time. Of course, you use the VC on the new "front" AVR.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #4337 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

What "non linear variable volume device?" The other AVR? It is as linear as any other amp if you bypass all processing and always keep the VC at exactly the same setting all the time. Of course, you use the VC on the new "front" AVR.

I was refering to the preamp in the other AVR as no volume control on an amp is going to be linear.

This was a triumph
post #4338 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was refering to the preamp in the other AVR as no volume control on an amp is going to be linear.

If by "other AVR," you mean the SR9300, the linearity of the VC is irrelevant if it is fixed. You set volume with the new AVR.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #4339 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsT View Post

Hello all
I have now had my AV7005 for about two weeks and I am really happy with it.

During the first few days I was disappointed with the two channel sound. Especially voices sounded a bit dull and not very present. Fortunately after a few days of playing the character really changed and it opened up and is now fantastic. I have not had any equipment (besides speakers) that has changed as much after a burn-in period.

Since it is so good, I am now curious on how much an external DAC can improve sound. What DACs do make a difference and which once are inferior to doing tha D/A conversion inside the AV? How does the sound change?

IMHO, your ears got "broken-in" and not your electronics....you are just now getting used to the sound, electronics rarely break in, speakers yes, electronics, not so much
post #4340 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getech View Post

IMHO, your ears got "broken-in" and not your electronics....you are just now getting used to the sound, electronics rarely break in, speakers yes, electronics, not so much

So true, back in the analog days you wait for capacitors and transistors to "break-in", but now that everything is in the digital domain its just not the case.

You are reading my signature.
post #4341 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Thank you. That's not something I had considered.

I think I have now convinced myself to replace the SR9300 rather than try to use it in some other way. Perhaps I can find use for it in another part of the house (I gave away the Marantz receiver the SR9300 replaced).

Anyway, yes I use the THX processing modes all the time and I'm currently wired for 7.1 here.

The Marantz SR9300, like my SR9200, has preamp outs with jumpers to the amp inputs. Remove the jumpers and feed the AV7005 into the amp inputs from which you removed the jumpers. The preamp section in the SR9300 is out of the loop, as is the volume control. The only circuitry that comes into the picture is the amp section, except for any inevitable bleedthrough from the electronics of the preamp section in the 9300. With no inputs connected to the 9300 except the av7005 you should be ok. The SR9300 has amp section inputs for all 7 channels. You should be good to go until such time as you decide to upgrade to a separate amp. I liked the sound of the SR9200 until I got the AV8003/MM8003 combo.

Andrew
post #4342 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

The quote below is pulled from a post I entered earlier today in another thread regarding my perception of the New Marantz AVR's and Pre-Pro's.

Quote:
Quote:
I am a Marantz man from way back, so my affinity for the brand is deeply engrained. But I also realized that the Marantz products of today are not of the same quality of the previous offerings. IMO, not since the SR9600, has Marantz stayed true to it's signature sound. (The Marantz Signature series is omitted from my observation). Marantz has become an impostor of Denon. The SR7005 and the AV7005 are just rebadged Denon products. Not that that is a bad thing,.... it just proves that Marantz has abandoned what made it the desired product it once was.

Here are a few examples that confirm my observation:

-2006 was the last year that the implementation of dual differential and the assignment of dual DAC's to the L&R channels are offered in the AVR's.
-Total abandonment of DSD capability. Last seen in the SR9600.
-2006 the last year HDAM modules are employed AVR's, namely in the SR9600. (HDAM modules are now present in the SR/AV7005).
-2009 HDCD decoding, no longer present in AVR's (SR7002/8002 last models to have this feature)

IMHO, I believe that these features were tantamount to and synonymous with the heralded Marantz sound quality. It's what set the Marantz AVR's apart from their counterparts. Audio first! No frills or video processing gizmos. That's not the case now.

Now, I must digress and acknowledge that Marantz has addressed the need to improve mp3 performance with the development of MDAX Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander.

Obviously D&M Holdings (parent company) is consolidating. Too bad, because Marantz had it's own flavor, it's own sound signature. That's not the case now. That's why I'm now gravitating to the Rotel and Integra products.

I know that I sound like a hater of the new Marantz offerings. That maybe so, but I do know that the quality control of Marantz's AVR's and pre-pros has fallen off dramatically. If anyone has followed the threads of the various Marantz threads, you will undoubtedly notice a trend. Everything from HDMI hand shake issues to onboard circuitry failures. I've owned 2 Marantz AVR's (SR-14 and SR9300 which I currently have and use). Neither one of those AVR's have ever given me any issues and has performed beyond expectation with uncanny reliability.

Like I said in the earlier post,.... the current crop of AVR's and Pre-pros are nothing but Denon clones, just rebadged. The problems that are inherent in the Marantz products are replicated in the new Denon products. don't believe me, read the Denon AVR threads and see what you get. I'll tell you,.... the same complaints you're reading in this thread.

And by the way, it's common sense that Marantz realized that there was an issue with the previous products because they were assembled in China. For the AV7005 and SR7005 to have a chance of being true players in the market, they switched the assembly location back to Japan. But, unfortunately, even with the switch, the two products are choke with Denon innards. So it doesn't matter anyway. Plus the lower AVR's are still assembled in China.

And for anyone to assume that due to the fact that the SR and AV7005 has Audyssey, it will automatically result in better sound quality than the SR9300 or SR9600, that may be true when it comes to surround sound, (a trained ear with a Radio Shack SPL meter could quite possibly achieve close to the same result),... but when it comes to 2 channel audio and in most cases, multi-channel audio (SACD), I would put the SR9300 and 9600 pre-amp section up against the 7005 twins any day. And believe me, the 9300 and 9600 will make the newer models sound hollow in comparison.

How do I know this? I've listened to the SR7005 vs. the SR9600 (which is basically a SR9300 with HDMI inputs). Even the rep who switched out the AVR's was shocked by the difference in quality and performance.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

post #4343 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

The quote below is pulled from a post I entered earlier today in another thread regarding my perception of the New Marantz AVR's and Pre-Pro's.

Unfortunately, your post is so filled w/ speculation, misinformation, and bias as to overpower any cogent points you might have made.

AJ
post #4344 of 9656 Old 03-17-2011, 10:42 PM

Hi,

I have had a quick check through and couldn't see this.

I have potential interest in going an AV separate such as the AV7005 with MM7055. Have also been checking out the all in one SR7005 version.

So my question: Does the audio quality fed to the speakers degrade by using a separate? As from viewing pictures the AV outputs the signal feeds to the MM via RCA or XLR. Now on the internet today I compared RCA to XLR and they said there is no signal quality difference between either, only that the RCA is unbalanced. I am familiar with this as I also work with PA's outside of work.

In my head sending a signal from a receiver to an amp via RCA or XLR would sound like a quality loss comparing to say a standalone receiver like the SR7005 as you don't have to use nasty RCA connections.

What's the truth here?

Thanks!

- - CA 751BD - - CA 650R - - Emotiva XPA-5 - - Velodyne DD18 - - Dali Concept 8's, Center, 1's - - Klark Teknik DN360 GEQs - - Van Den Hul, Kordz & Emotiva interconnects - - LG 60" FHD Plasma - -
post #4345 of 9656 Old 03-18-2011, 01:53 AM

Pretty sure the AV7005 has a SNR of 125/126ish dB at its pre outs and it's not likely you would have meters and meters of cable connecting the processor to the amp so I don't think it's an issue. Plus seperate amps tend to be of far far higher quality than the amps in an AVR unless it's a 'battleship' receiver.

This was a triumph
post #4346 of 9656 Old 03-18-2011, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Unfortunately, your post is so filled w/ speculation, misinformation, and bias as to overpower any cogent points you might have made.

AJ

Well AJ, tell me where I'm misinformed and bias. And as for speculation, there's no speculation to it. What I've stated is right on point. What part of my statement do you consider speculation?

ldgibson76

post #4347 of 9656 Old 03-18-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Well AJ, tell me where I'm misinformed and bias. And as for speculation, there's no speculation to it. What I've stated is right on point. What part of my statement do you consider speculation?

Misinformation:

DSD & HDCD decoding were available in the AV8003, a current product through the end of 2010, not 2006 nor 2009.

A "trained ear with a Radio Shack SPL meter" could not "achieve close to the same result" as that of Audyssey. Audyssey MultEQ XT utilizes hundreds of correction filters. By comparison, that "trained ear with a Radio Shack SPL meter" is limited in adjustment/correction to on board manual EQ, which is a crude approximation next to Audyssey.

Speculation:

You may believe that recent Marantz pre/pros & AVRs had a "signature sound" and that "the 9300 and 9600 will make the newer models sound hollow in comparison." Unless you have performed level matched blind tests, you are operating solely on unsubstantiated beliefs.

You say "problems that are inherent in the Marantz products are replicated in the new Denon products." Judging by your disdain for Denon, you actually intend the reverse, that problems inherent in the Denon products are replicated in the Marantz products. But there is little proof of that in this AV7005 thread.

You say that "it's common sense that Marantz realized that there was an issue with the previous products because they were assembled in China. For the AV7005 and SR7005 to have a chance of being true players in the market, they switched the assembly location back to Japan." How do you know that Chinese assembly was a problem? You attribute a cause as if it were the only possible cause.

AJ
post #4348 of 9656 Old 03-18-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilsy View Post

Does the audio quality fed to the speakers degrade by using a separate?

nope...

Quote:
In my head sending a signal from a receiver to an amp via RCA or XLR would sound like a quality loss comparing to say a standalone receiver like the SR7005 as you don't have to use nasty RCA connections.

nah... and rca's aren't "nasty"... they'll work just fine... at short lengths and in the "normal" home environment, there's no advantage to xlr's over rca's...

gotta admit... this is the first time since i've been on avs that someone has wondered if they'll get worse results with a separate amp...

- chris

post #4349 of 9656 Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Misinformation:

DSD & HDCD decoding were available in the AV8003, a current product through the end of 2010, not 2006 nor 2009.

A "trained ear with a Radio Shack SPL meter" could not "achieve close to the same result" as that of Audyssey. Audyssey MultEQ XT utilizes hundreds of correction filters. By comparison, that "trained ear with a Radio Shack SPL meter" is limited in adjustment/correction to on board manual EQ, which is a crude approximation next to Audyssey.

Speculation:

You may believe that recent Marantz pre/pros & AVRs had a "signature sound" and that "the 9300 and 9600 will make the newer models sound hollow in comparison." Unless you have performed level matched blind tests, you are operating solely on unsubstantiated beliefs.

You say "problems that are inherent in the Marantz products are replicated in the new Denon products." Judging by your disdain for Denon, you actually intend the reverse, that problems inherent in the Denon products are replicated in the Marantz products. But there is little proof of that in this AV7005 thread.

You say that "it's common sense that Marantz realized that there was an issue with the previous products because they were assembled in China. For the AV7005 and SR7005 to have a chance of being true players in the market, they switched the assembly location back to Japan." How do you know that Chinese assembly was a problem? You attribute a cause as if it were the only possible cause.

AJ

Ok AJ. Regarding the AV8003 and the DSD HDCD decoding, you are correct. I was wrong. But HDCD decoding was in the 7002 and 8002 AVR's. They where built up until 2009. You are on point with your correction in regards to my wording of the problems inherent in the Denon AVR's being replicated by the Marantz AVRs and Pre-pros.
But what I will not back away from is that the problems that are in the Denons are also in the Marantz products (AVR's/Pre-pros)
I must say that I do not have distain for Denon. Quite the contrary.

Ok, I'll digress and concede. Audyssey is the holy grail of room correction calibration. There's no way a trained ear can come close to Audyssey calibration. Ya happy now!?!

As far as quality control goes,.... Anyone, and I mean anyone who follows the Marantz product will affirm that quality issues increased when manufacturing and assembling was move to the China plants. I'm sure Marantz acknowledges that.

Ok, then if the assembly in China is so good, why did Marantz decide to keep the AV7005 and the SR7005 in Japan? If the AV8003 was such a success, and it was assembled in China, then don't you think that Marantz would have kept production of the 7005 series in China? The AV8003 track record for quality control was abysmal at best, when compared to other Pre-pro's in it's market segment (price point). If you doubt that, read the AV8003 thread and see for yourself the number of complaints documented.

Let me be clear, I'm not saying that all Marantz products are horrible products because they aren't. What I am saying is that, IMHO, there has been a compromise.
Maybe the China assembly is not a problem. Maybe it's a parts issue. Various HDMI issues, power supply failure, mother board/circuitry shorting, just to name a few of the issues that plagued the 4001/2/3, 5001/2/3/4, 6001/3/4, 8003. Regardless of what you believe, there is a correlation between quality control drop off and China built Marantz products.

My last rebuttal is regarding your statement about the "Marantz signature sound" or lack thereof,..... I'm very surprised by this observation. The one thing Marantz was known for was exactly that, the warm sound that it produced. The implementation of the DAC's, HDAM modules, the application of dual differential processing for 2 channel playback. You don't think that those features contributed to the "Marantz sound"? It's what set the Marantz apart from the Denons, Pioneer's, Yamaha's, Sony's, HKs and Onkyo's.

Remember AJ, this is my opinion based on what I have seen and experienced with the recent Marantz products. I am still a Marantz guy.
Aesthetically, Marantz is one of the better looking products on the market, but good looks only get you so far.

No hard feelings, but perception is reality and I know there are alot of people who can attest to what I'm saying.

ldgibson76

post #4350 of 9656 Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 AM

I just updated my firmware. Anyone have any idea what the new firmware does that the previous one didn't do? I can't find any information on Marantz's web site.

Any new features, any bug fixes????
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread - Av7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page