AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHF View Post

Zillch

Good article. Can't explain to you or anybody else how I managed to pass the ABX comparator (same one in the article) getting 10 out of 10.

Miscalibration of level matching to < .1 dB immediately comes to mind as one of many possibilities.

I take it you have no third party evidence to substantiate your "10 out of 10" claim and expect us to simply take your word for it, am I right?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 9667 Old 03-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyav7005 View Post

Hi GetGray

I have just received my AV7005, MM7055 and MM7025 with rack mount, and Canton Ergo series speakers, I should be able to post pics in couple of days mounted in the rack

Excellent, thanks.
post #4413 of 9667 Old 03-20-2011, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sSolar View Post

Something I wasn't aware of thats pretty cool is the abiltity to setup this pre/pro over a web browser.

My 3 year old Denon can do that, wirelessly too. I was also happy to know that the AV7005 can do it.
post #4414 of 9667 Old 03-20-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Miscalibration of level matching to < .1 dB immediately comes to mind as one of many possibilities.

I take it you have no third party evidence to substantiate your "10 out of 10" claim and expect us to simply take your word for it, am I right?

Some people are just prone to Placebo effect. It is their belief, just belief, no need to be scientific. Science won't work for them. They believe they know better than the engineers who design those amps that just amplify, without changing the sound quality, but they did not anticipate those amps they designed and built would somehow all sound different. They (the designers) also failed to anticipate that some amps would sound better than others, of course purely by chance, not by design as they were designed to simplify amplify...........
post #4415 of 9667 Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

not to interrupt the bickering, but...

anyone lay their hands on release notes for the new firmware?

May be someone should email Marantz tech support for info. One thing I noticed was that one of Mr. Chris Heinonen's complaint about the 'mute' must have been fixed but I am not sure if it was fixed by this update or the previous one. It is too late for me to find out as I did not verify whether the condition existed before I updated it. The remote seems to work better, other than that I have not noticed any difference.
post #4416 of 9667 Old 03-20-2011, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

I have a SR7005, and there's a new firmware update available. I have no idea what it has. Does the AV7005 also have a firmware upgrade available?

Installed the new firmware today on my AV7005. Later in the day, I was going through the menu and was looking at the amp assign settings. I didn't make any changes but when I pressed return (to exit) my rear speakers were no longer detected. Then I tried to load a saved config file and all speakers are no longer detected. (Speaker/Channel icons no longer show up on the front panel sub display.)Tried resetting microprocessor - still no luck. Audyssey Auto Setup detected speakers and sounds come out of them (only during the test). So, I no longer have any sound. Guess I am calling Marantz tomorrow

I am thinking it is the new firmware, unless I am missing something.
post #4417 of 9667 Old 03-20-2011, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avman09 View Post

Some people are just prone to Placebo effect.

Correction: all human beings, including yourself and myself, are prone to the placebo effect and observer bias, even when we are taught to beware and look out for it! Only the arrogant fool thinks to him/herself, "I'm superior to most; I'm exempt."

The only way to truly eliminate the possibility of both conscious and subconscious bias from the equation is to "blind" the test subjects to the DUT's identity (and ideally the test conductor as well, ie "double blind").

DUT= Device Under Test

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #4418 of 9667 Old 03-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Correction: all human beings, including yourself and myself, are prone to the placebo effect even when we are taught to beware and look out for it! Only the arrogant fool thinks to him/herself, "I'm superior to most; I'm exempt."

The only way to truly eliminate the possibility of both conscious and subconscious bias from the equation is to "blind" the test subjects to the DUT's identity (and ideally the test conductor as well, ie "double blind").

DUT= Device Under Test

Your opinion.
post #4419 of 9667 Old 03-20-2011, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Science's "opinion", to be more precise, and this is afterall the A/V Science forum.

post #4420 of 9667 Old 03-20-2011, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

^ Science's "opinion", to be more precise, and this is afterall the A/V Science forum.

Ah, I see. I must have missed that post from the omniscient Mr. Science, expounding on all that is dogma here at AVS. Or is all that dogma just a figment of the imagination of a few ambitious DBT zealots who simply wished it were so? Hmmmmm.....
post #4421 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by par4 View Post

Your opinion.

What is yours?
post #4422 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think+ View Post

Installed the new firmware today on my AV7005. Later in the day, I was going through the menu and was looking at the amp assign settings. I didn't make any changes but when I pressed return (to exit) my rear speakers were no longer detected. Then I tried to load a saved config file and all speakers are no longer detected. (Speaker/Channel icons no longer show up on the front panel sub display.)Tried resetting microprocessor - still no luck. Audyssey Auto Setup detected speakers and sounds come out of them (only during the test). So, I no longer have any sound. Guess I am calling Marantz tomorrow

Did you try resetting per manual or unplugging for a few minutes?
post #4423 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

that's interesting, with power on AV7005 OFF? Don't see how this can be? I guess Marantz is designed to allow etherNET functionality to continue whether ON or in STANDBY mode?

This is true.

pg 81 of the manual:

Network Standby : Set the network function on/off during standby.
ON : Network is on during standby. Main unit operable with a network
compatible controller.
OFF : Suspend network function during standby.
Set to ON when using the web control function.
post #4424 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 AM

Liked: 13
I just got off the phone with Marantz US technical support inquiring about the latest firmware upgrade. The person I talked to did not know anything about the upgrade and questioned why I wanted to know. He stated that Marantz does not publish any release notes to firmware upgrades/changes.
post #4425 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 08:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Tango View Post

[snip] He stated that Marantz does not publish any release notes to firmware upgrades/changes.

What? That's unacceptable.

- Jon
post #4426 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyman View Post

pg 81 of the manual:

compatible controller.

Right, this is expected behavior. What is unexpected is the continued streaming of music from a server even when all 3 zones are "off".
post #4427 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpom View Post

Did you try resetting per manual or unplugging for a few minutes?

Quote:

I was on the phone today with Greg (Support with Marantz). It appears that after the firmware update my AV7005 would not accept AUTO (I can press it, it said Auto, but no auto box on the sub display) for the input. We ended up resetting the system (p115 I believe in the manual) and that fixed it (and maybe other issues that I was yet to be aware of). He wondered why I updated the firmware. He stated that, unlike components like Blu-Ray players, you only want to update your firmware on the AV7005 if you are experiencing a problem. I did not ask him what the changes were in this update. I also did not reload the previous config. I did not want to take the chance of it messing things up again and didn't have too much to reconfigure.
post #4428 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

He stated that, unlike components like Blu-Ray players, you only want to update your firmware on the AV7005 if you are experiencing a problem.

The the owners of this unit are suppose to know this how? I love this product so far but you can't expect a consumer to behave in this way. Oh we know you do firmware update for everything else you own when they become available but for our product we roll them out only to fix specific issues and you should somehow...magically...know that.
post #4429 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Using a URC MX-900 remote and the codes for AV8003 (some are custom, and no AV7005 avail)

I have discovered, it seems, that the volume and mute codes for the AV8003 are the same codes for my Ayre Acoustics K5xe preamp. Are there other codes for the AV7005 volume control so that I may get one that works with the AV7005 and not the Ayre?

Thank you
post #4430 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

The the owners of this unit are suppose to know this how? I love this product so far but you can't expect a consumer to behave in this way. Oh we know you do firmware update for everything else you own when they become available but for our product we roll them out only to fix specific issues and you should somehow...magically...know that.

Exactly.

If it's not recommended then they should, IMO, put a list of the fixes in the download process and say "if you are not experiencing any of the concerns in the list we recommend you do not update the firmware".

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #4431 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I emailed Marantz asking what was in the new AV7005 firmware which was just released. Here is the response:
Quote:

The newest firmware corrects an issue with a "popping noise" in the audio output when hooking up to your PC via HDMI.

It also corrects for certain types of video distortion (lines in picture) when using HDMI connected source devices.

If you're not experiencing these issues, there would be no need to update the unit.

Thank you,
Technical Support
D&M Holdings NA, Inc

post #4432 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Wadsworth View Post

Using a URC MX-900 remote and the codes for AV8003 (some are custom, and no AV7005 avail)

I have discovered, it seems, that the volume and mute codes for the AV8003 are the same codes for my Ayre Acoustics K5xe preamp. Are there other codes for the AV7005 volume control so that I may get one that works with the AV7005 and not the Ayre?

Thank you

are you using rf or ir? if you are using rf, you can assign the output ports from the basestation...

i don't believe there's an alternate code set for the av7005 (at least not one that i've found)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4433 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyman View Post

This is true.

pg 81 of the manual:

compatible controller.

ah, I see, thanks!
post #4434 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

It also corrects for certain types of video distortion (lines in picture) when using HDMI connected source devices.

anyone out there download the new firmware yet and run patterns to see if the two errors that chris identified in his review have gone away (the 4:4:4 chroma error and the 1080i component overscan error)?

the "certain types of distortion ... hdmi devices" is a new one, isn't it? i don't recall anyone coming across that in this thread (but i easily could have forgotten)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4435 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

I emailed Marantz asking what was in the new AV7005 firmware which was just released. Here is the response:

Quote:

The newest firmware corrects an issue with a "popping noise" in the audio output when hooking up to your PC via HDMI.

If you're not experiencing these issues, there would be no need to update the unit.

Thank you,
Technical Support
D&M Holdings NA, Inc

This is definately for me then because i'm getting the "popping noise"

Thanks for the info
post #4436 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

are you using rf or ir? if you are using rf, you can assign the output ports from the basestation...

i don't believe there's an alternate code set for the av7005 (at least not one that i've found)...

I'll check the manual for the base station

edit: I see that in the manual. That looks like it should work. I never had to do that before.

Thank you very much
post #4437 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Wadsworth View Post

This is definately for me then because i'm getting the "popping noise"

Thanks for the info

When exactly does this happen? Don't like the sounds of it. I had a B&K receiver that had to go back to the factory for a new board to cure it's popping noise.
post #4438 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:

Correction: all human beings, including yourself and myself, are prone to the placebo effect and observer bias, even when we are taught to beware and look out for it! Only the arrogant fool thinks to him/herself, "I'm superior to most; I'm exempt."

DUT= Device Under Test

Thank you for the correction, I know we all are, but I actually meant some are more prone......
post #4439 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Excellent, thanks.

Hi GetGray,

Please find the pictures regarding the rack mount bracket for AV 7005

Regards,
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #4440 of 9667 Old 03-21-2011, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avman09 View Post

Thank you for the correction, I know we all are, but I actually meant some are more prone......

Oh, Ok. Check.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread - Av7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page