Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
False, you didn't.

If both amps are kept within their operational limits, that means no clipping at all, there would be no benefit to the 700 wpc one. Clipping one yet not the other obviously would be another matter entirely and not a fair comparison, nor does it in any way answer the real question: "Do more powerful amplifiers sound better than weaker ones if both are kept within their operational limits?" The answer, despite audiophile mythology to the contrary, is "No".

I have nothing further to discuss on the matter as it is off topic to the main thread, anyways. Sorry everyone for the sidetrack.

Done.
Ah yes, conjuring up the dreaded "audiophile mythology" monster. Very poignant. And undoubtedly scoring points with the DBT crowd. Most impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 9667 Old 03-23-2011, 06:26 PM
DHF

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The man can dish it out. Not surprised he doesn't want to reveal which identical sounding amp he uses. Talks a good game.
post #4503 of 9667 Old 03-23-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 284
^ Guess which character from the video, wearing a red Ferrari jacket, you remind me of? What was that his girlfriend said about "equipment"?

I have nothing to hide; my amp is made by Lasonic. No, seriously I own and am currently using the the very first THX certified multi ch amp. (I didn't pick it or buy it though, it was given to me by the manufacturer). A gold star goes to the first person who can name it. [Do you need to know what brand power cord it uses and how thick it is, too?]

Nothing special but it gets the job done. It should be relatively easy for you to find some negative review on it or trash it (in your mind) in some other way, which I'm sure is your only intent since this has absolutely zip to do with the topic of the thread you are derailing even further. Wont bother me in the least so knock yourself out. (If none of you are savvy enough to look up what it is, by say this time tomorrow, I'll name it.)

"I talk a big game", you say? Wrong. Homey don't play your game. It's for children. I'm here for science and I have no interest in a Rick fight, how many watts your amp, or your "speakers" are for that mater, nor the brands.

Anyone here want to talk about the AV7005 and what the new firmware does? I'd like to know. {sorry to be off topic}

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #4504 of 9667 Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Talking about firmware, since that has more to do with the av7005 than crazy power monoblocks (I just like how that sounds), the Marantz I have on order is getting sent out today/tomorrow, so it'll likely not have the latest firmware versus the units various stores are just receiving post earthquake from Japan. I heard somewhere that the latest FW may clear up static in hdmi inputs? Anyone verify this with a unit themselves?

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
post #4505 of 9667 Old 03-24-2011, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

There are consumer speakers rated to take 700 wpc continuous?

And a 60A 120V cct. would be good for such an amp assuming 7 channels.
post #4506 of 9667 Old 03-24-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

That wasn't the point of why I chimed in about 700wpc amps. I was exceeding the operation limits of less powerful units, that is the point, and an assumption that "within operational limits" is readily apparent to everyone just isn't so, IMO.

This is getting too funny, so in your case it makes sense to have a 700WPC amp. Likewise, the poster who owns a 800D would benefit froma 1000WPC amp. Both of you may also benefit from having at least a dedicated 30A (120V) cct. I have not seen any posters on this thread claiming all amp sounds the same without qualifying such a statement. So let's stop being funny and bickering about nothing, and get back on topic.
post #4507 of 9667 Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

anyone?

mz, add me to your contact list...

I'll try to play the disc this weekend.
post #4508 of 9667 Old 03-24-2011, 07:04 PM

Liked: 11
What option should I be using with my AV7005 and my Samsung BD P1600 Bluray player? The menu options are PCM or Bitstream (Audiophile). The manual says for PCM: "use with receivers with HDMI" and the Bitstream (Audiophile) option says: "Recommended choice if you have an HDMI 1.3 receiver which has Dolby TrueHD an DTS-HD Master Audio decoding capability." I'm guessing the Bitstream(Audiophile) option is what I want to use. I am connecting the bluray player with HDMI to the AV7005.
post #4509 of 9667 Old 03-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder1995 View Post

Talking about firmware, since that has more to do with the av7005 than crazy power monoblocks (I just like how that sounds), the Marantz I have on order is getting sent out today/tomorrow, so it'll likely not have the latest firmware versus the units various stores are just receiving post earthquake from Japan. I heard somewhere that the latest FW may clear up static in hdmi inputs? Anyone verify this with a unit themselves?

Mine came (end of Jan) with the latest FW until about a week ago when it got updated. I use all 6 HDMI input and have experienced no static at all even before the update. So far, I know it does not do well in DVD upscaling and it does not have the best cross talk/channel separation while the SN is quite decent, compared to the more expensive Onkyo/Integra models. I have no complain with sound quality as it sounds great with any of my amps.

If you like the look of it, you would likely be happy with the rest of it.
post #4510 of 9667 Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handruin View Post

What option should I be using with my AV7005 and my Samsung BD P1600 Bluray player? The menu options are PCM or Bitstream (Audiophile). The manual says for PCM: "use with receivers with HDMI" and the Bitstream (Audiophile) option says: "Recommended choice if you have an HDMI 1.3 receiver which has Dolby TrueHD an DTS-HD Master Audio decoding capability." I'm guessing the Bitstream(Audiophile) option is what I want to use. I am connecting the bluray player with HDMI to the AV7005.

I prefer bitstream, but either one should be fine. If you want the AVR display to show Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA etc., then you have to use bitstream. On the other hand, secondary audio components cannot be bitstreamed so if you don't want to lose those features you have to switch back to LPCM. If you want more detailed explanation you can refer to the manual of your player and the AVR.
post #4511 of 9667 Old 03-24-2011, 07:39 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for the feedback. The manual did mention the secondary audio components and the limitations, but what are they and why would I want to use them?
post #4512 of 9667 Old 03-24-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handruin View Post

Thanks for the feedback. The manual did mention the secondary audio components and the limitations, but what are they and why would I want to use them?

Some disc offer those silly(IMHO only) things such as pop up menu, picture in picture commentaries and other special features. I hate them and never use them that's why I have no problem using bitstream. You may or may not like those features but since you asked the question you may want to try LPCM first and find out if you have any use of those secondary audio features. Not every disc has them though. The following link may be helpful to you.

http://www.dts.com/Pro_Audio_Product..._Disc/FAQ.aspx
post #4513 of 9667 Old 03-24-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

secondary audio must die!!!

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4514 of 9667 Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by avman09 View Post

This is getting too funny, so in your case it makes sense to have a 700WPC amp. Likewise, the poster who owns a 800D would benefit froma 1000WPC amp. Both of you may also benefit from having at least a dedicated 30A (120V) cct. I have not seen any posters on this thread claiming all amp sounds the same without qualifying such a statement. So let's stop being funny and bickering about nothing, and get back on topic.

The only thing funny (or should I say strange) is claiming to want to get back on track then lobbing a bomb over the wall.

BTW, I have two dedicated 20A circuits just for the amps. More than sufficient to cover the power requirements of music/movie duty cycle.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #4515 of 9667 Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Mine came (end of Jan) with the latest FW until about a week ago when it got updated

I have'nt had the chance yet to set-up and power-up my AV7005 unit yet (too much going on). I got my unit back in December, wondering which firmware it will come with? Whether I would need to upgrade or not? I have'nt checked, but are we able to select which version to load or not? I don't think I would want to load the latest piece.
post #4516 of 9667 Old 03-24-2011, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I have'nt checked, but are we able to select which version to load or not? I don't think I would want to load the latest piece.

Nope, not that I've seen anyway. The updater just shows an update is available. The only choice seems (bascially) yes or no.

post #4517 of 9667 Old 03-25-2011, 02:36 PM

Liked: 10
Ok fellas.

I've read until my eyes are about to bleed.

What's thew bottom line? Is this the best sounding Pre-Pro with HDMI switching and either Audssey of MCACC?

I have a Pioneer SC-05 that I'm using as a Pre-Pro right now and the SQ is so-so. It was poor using Pioneer's D-Class amps. Outboard amps made a HUGE improvement.

I'd like a unit that has better SQ.

I do;t use a lot of tecky stuff like Iphone or bluetooth,... just an HD DVR cable box, a Samsung Blu-ray player for discs and Netflix, and an X-Box for exercise.

Thanks in advance.
post #4518 of 9667 Old 03-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^^^
duckstu, I replaced a Denon AVR-5803A ($5K when new in 2003) with the SR7005. I'm a VERY happy customer.
post #4519 of 9667 Old 03-26-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I have'nt had the chance yet to set-up and power-up my AV7005 unit yet (too much going on). I got my unit back in December, wondering which firmware it will come with? Whether I would need to upgrade or not? I have'nt checked, but are we able to select which version to load or not? I don't think I would want to load the latest piece.

I do not see a way to find out which FW is installed. No such issue with my Denon AVRs, may be synergy is not working in this case or there is a way but it is so well hidden that I cannot figure it out.
post #4520 of 9667 Old 03-26-2011, 08:42 AM

I wonder if anyone has tried hooking up both balanced and unbalanced outputs. My 2 channel system amp needs about 12 ft or more XLR wires to hook it up to the AV7005's XLR outputs. I am using all RCAs for the 7.1 system but want to use the front L/R XLR outputs to feed the 2 channel system. I cannot find much info from the Marantz manual but the Outlaw one does say hook up one but not both (RCA & XLR).
post #4521 of 9667 Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't want to use Zone 2 because of unbalanced output, or because no digital sources can be used?

The way I interpret the Outlaw setup guide is that you shouldn't connect the unbalanced and balanced outputs to the same amp, not that you can't use both to feed separate amps.

post #4522 of 9667 Old 03-26-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:

I wonder if anyone has tried hooking up both balanced and unbalanced outputs.

I use both XLR and RCA outs simultaneously (to different devices only of course) and have no problem. It would be nice if one had independent volume instead of them being locked together, but otherwise it works great.

RE using the zone outs:

-stereo only, no 5.1/7.1
-no HDMI inputs will work at all, and digital only if 2ch PCM (IIRC)
-no Audyssey or any other sound processing may be applied other than rudimentary bass and treble
-no on screen display confirmation for input selection or volume changing.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #4523 of 9667 Old 03-26-2011, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

Don't want to use Zone 2 because of unbalanced output, or because no digital sources can be used?

The way I interpret the Outlaw setup guide is that you shouldn't connect the unbalanced and balanced outputs to the same amp, not that you can't use both to feed separate amps.

Sure. Another complication is running an Audyssey setup with two different amp/speakers when only one is used at a time. Whichever one was off for the calibration will be EQ-ed improperly.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4524 of 9667 Old 03-26-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks, so the unbalanced and balanced outputs are both on at the same time? I want to use the AV7005 to drive the 2 channel power amp in my stereo only system to see if it can do a better job than my old GFP-565. Since the interconnect will have to be longer than 10ft so I thought I should use XLR instead of the zone 2 unbalanced outputs.
post #4525 of 9667 Old 03-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
For those that haven't gotten a chance to read Kal Rubinson's review, it's now up on the Stereophile web site. Thanks, Kal, for a great review and especially for your contributions to this forum.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-47

"If not for Venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all."
post #4526 of 9667 Old 03-26-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Sure. Another complication is running an Audyssey setup with two different amp/speakers when only one is used at a time. Whichever one was off for the calibration will be EQ-ed improperly.

My second system is in the same room but it is for 2 channel pure direct only so I won't have to worry about Audyssey.

By the way I am still trying to buy the Stereophile that has your review on the AV7005. I thought it is in the March issue but it does not have that review on it. It has several reviews on integrated amps including a Marantz and a Luxman universal player but no AV7005, how come?
post #4527 of 9667 Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

My second system is in the same room but it is for 2 channel pure direct only so I won't have to worry about Audyssey.

By the way I am still trying to buy the Stereophile that has your review on the AV7005. I thought it is in the March issue but it does not have that review on it. It has several reviews on integrated amps including a Marantz and a Luxman universal player but no AV7005, how come?

It's in there.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4528 of 9667 Old 03-26-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

It's in there.

I can't believe I missed it but will look carefully next time, may be tomorrow. If it is in there I'll buy it. Thanks.
post #4529 of 9667 Old 03-26-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McWilliams View Post

For those that haven't gotten a chance to read Kal Rubinson's review, it's now up on the Stereophile web site. Thanks, Kal, for a great review and especially for your contributions to this forum.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-47

Nice review Kal.

Did you try Audyssey Pro and if so, what were your findings?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4530 of 9667 Old 03-26-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since the interconnect will have to be longer than 10ft so I thought I should use XLR instead of the zone 2 unbalanced outputs.

As long as you use decent cables, inasmuch they're well-shielded, it shouldn't be a problem at ~10ft. I run two pair of unbalanced cables ~30 or 35 ft and don't have any problems, and they're just some home-brew stuff from inexpensive Belden shielded twisted pair cable stock.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread - Av7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page