Marantz AV7005 - Page 154 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ok, onto something else for me, not to take away from the riviting grounding loop issue discussion, but how reliable has everyone's Airplay been on the Marantz? Mine only occasionally goes to the proper Airplay input when selected. Other times I can't select the Marantz7005 as output. Als0, the Marantz7005 doesn't always show up in the iTunes dropdown output selection. When I do get it selected and playing out of the Marantz, how do I go back to TV and then back to the Airplay? Man, to me, this is the most frustrating input to use. I may demand my $50 back! Anyone esle having these issues? Is there a specific input to select to always get Airplay output through the speakers? i.e., if I've got itunes already playing, and I want it out of the Marantz, how do I select it? USB/Net? This single "feature" has me debating if I want to keep this unit or move onto something more "basic".

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have audible buzz issue with my AV7005, MM7055 and MM7025, I have change RCA plug to Monoprice XLR with no significant result, after reading earlier post I have decided to unplug my cable from the cable box, guest what? No more buzz, complete silence, what should I do next?

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 92
^^^

use an isolation transformer on the coax... google "ground loop isolation" and you'll find them...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 04-01-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 291
This is my personal go to model, but others costing more will work as well.

Don't let the description through you. If you magnify the image you will see the words "Cable/VCR Ground Breaker" on the actual product, which is what you want. [I've never dealt with this vendor but this is the only one I found with an actual picture. I bought mine at You-do-it Electronics in Needham, MA, but they don't label it as "GC 32-3185 Ground Breaker", so it will be hard to find there short of calling and getting a smart human to do some digging for you.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Old 04-01-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

thanks mz. i knew you'd have a link kicking around...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

Old 04-01-2011, 11:39 AM

Thank!

Will give a try...
Old 04-01-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder1995 View Post

Sitting there with my iPad I can control everything on the unit without having the TV on - pretty cool!

@boarder

What iPad app are you using?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

on my iphone, i'm using the marantz "wizz" app... just go to the app store and search for "marantz" and you'll find it...

nifty little tool...

i don't know if the web interface gives the iphone page or the "full page" when you access it from an ipad (no ipad here yet)... someone else can chime in on that...

- chris

Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just use the web browser and it works pretty well. I need to see if there's a specific iPad app like wizz.

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
Old 04-01-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

here you go...

clicky

it works well for what it does, but it would be nice if there was more functionality in it...

- chris

Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

When you say "everything unplugged", does that include the HDMI cables?

I found my slight, yet incredibly annoying, hum goes away completely when I remove the HDMI cables from the AV7005 (the hum is still there even if the HDMI cables are plugged in but the actual components those HDMI cables are coming from are unplugged from the power).

Yes, everything. All HDMI's, all component cables, the composite cables, the coax-digital audio, the 12V trigger going out to the amps (amps switched on manually), ... even the RCA going out to the subs.... everything. Only thing still connected to the AVR was the power cord and the 7 rca's to the amps.

Last might I turned on a pink-noise test tone and adjusted the level of one of the channels as high as it would go with no discernible noise using a small speaker near the amps. Then using a db meter I adjusted the other 9 channels to match that. then I used the AVR's test tones to re-level all the surround speakers. It sounds great now.

Only thing I haven't tried is moving the amps farther apart. (They're 4" away from each-other now). But I can't see that helping. I've had one switched off before,.. and there's no noise with the AVR off. If the two amps being near each-other were the cause,... then surely they'd output noise anytime they were on.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 213
duckstu,

I noticed that you said "amps". If they're 3 prong, use cheater plugs to see if removing the ground elimintates the hum.

Not saying to leave them ungrounded, just try this to diagnosis the problem.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

duckstu,

I noticed that you said "amps". If they're 3 prong, use cheater plugs to see if removing the ground elimintates the hum.

Not saying to leave them ungrounded, just try this to diagnosis the problem.

Will do as soon as I get home. Now I'm staying at work late to wait for delivery of a certain Oppo product.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckstu View Post

Will do as soon as I get home. Now I'm staying at work late to wait for delivery of a certain Oppo product.

We're both playing the waiting game. My 7005 should be delivered sometime this afternoon.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

you'll be fine... i use them with no issues... so do others...

the "xlr issue" mentioned in that "review" is user error...

How do XLR Signal cables do? Also does anybody have the pre/pro matched w/ a Sunfire amp?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

We're both playing the waiting game. My 7005 should be delivered sometime this afternoon.

Jim did you get it? Im looking at getting one. Maybe after I get my system up and running you could bring it up and try it out here? Im liking the xlr outs for all channels and the 2 xlr sub outs.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mark,

7005 arrived and more or less installed.

Forget about it being intuitive....you're going to have to do some reading.

As for bringing the 7005 over to your place....I've got a better idea. Bring your new speakers over here. Just kidding. However, the verdict is still out as to how it compares to my Ref 50.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

I replaced a B&K Ref 50 with the AV7005 about a month ago, and am very, very happy. I love that I finally have meaningful bass management on all my sources. I did the best I could with my trusty Radio Shack SPL meter, but with the B&K I was constantly adjusting the sub level. (The LFE on ESPN was so loud that merely changing channels on my TiVo would require tweaking.) I also no longer have any lip sync issues with Blu-rays now that I’m no longer using 5.1 RCA interconnects. The internet radio is also very nice (for non-critical listening, of course.) It short, the Marantz is the best money I’ve spent in a long time.

"If not for Venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all."
Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McWilliams View Post
I replaced a B&K Ref 50 with the AV7005 about a month ago, and am very, very happy. I love that I finally have meaningful bass management on all my sources. I did the best I could with my trusty Radio Shack SPL meter, but with the B&K I was constantly adjusting the sub level. (The LFE on ESPN was so loud that merely changing channels on my TiVo would require tweaking.) I also no longer have any lip sync issues with Blu-rays now that I'm no longer using 5.1 RCA interconnects. The internet radio is also very nice (for non-critical listening, of course.) It short, the Marantz is the best money I've spent in a long time.
Dave are you using balanced or Un for your amp hook up?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:35 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by punt5656 View Post
How do XLR Signal cables do? Also does anybody have the pre/pro matched w/ a Sunfire amp?
I've used it with both a Cinema Grand 7CH and now a Wyred4Sound Mini7CH.

No difference in SQ as far as I'm concerned.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:37 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Virtually the exact same secenario I had.

Get those Monoprice XLR cables (or modify the ones you have), lift the shield, and I'd almost guarantee your slight but annoying hum goes away.
Good thing you "almost" gauranteed it! Just tried that, instead of reducing the hum it amplified it badly (i.e., by badly I mean horribly ... had to shut it off seconds after the 7005 turned on due to how loud the hum was).

At this point, there isn't much left for me to try. Really friggin annoying.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt5656 View Post
Dave are you using balanced or Un for your amp hook up?
I've got a very short run (< 3 feet) from pre/pro to power amps, so I'm using unbalanced interconnects.

"If not for Venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all."
Old 04-02-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Good thing you "almost" gauranteed it! Just tried that, instead of reducing the hum it amplified it badly (i.e., by badly I mean horribly ... had to shut it off seconds after the 7005 turned on due to how loud the hum was).

At this point, there isn't much left for me to try. Really friggin annoying.
You must have some kind of other problem then because lifting the shield on a balanced cable shouldn't produce a massive noise increase like that. Even without the shield the main benefit of balanced connection common mode noise rejection is entirely intact, afaik.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:00 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

You must have some kind of other problem then because lifting the shield on a balanced cable shouldn't produce a massive noise increase like that. Even without the shield the main benefit of balanced connection common mode noise rejection is entirely intact, afaik.

No idea, just know that cutting/unsoldering the copper ground from the male end of the XLR cables resulted in that nasty noise (I assume I had to leave the pin in the XLR cable though as I couldn't remove the ground pin, just the actual copper cable connecting to it?).

Have put my Mogami XLRs back in, and the hum is once again just a "minor" annoyance (which is now a major annoyance simply because I haven't been able to get rid of it!).

I know exactly what it is now, it's of course the only two components in my system with a ground. My Plasma is the worst offender resulting in the biggest noise (if I unplug it completely the hum drops quite a bit). The next is my proamp, likely because I have it hooked up via RCA to the MiniDSP RCA In, then a RCA to XLR cable to the proamp.

Unplugging the RCA for the SW1 preout reduces the hum as well (not as much as unplugging the plasma does).

Unplugging both the plasma and SW1 RCA preout eliminates the hum and I end with just a hiss from the noise floor of the amp or 7005 (or both), but the hiss you can't hear outside of putting your ear up to the speakers. The hum you can make out during lower passages which drives me nuts.

I've tried everything other than cheater plugs which I'm loathe to do with my 4 year old around (probably being overly cautious). Have added 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits, both on the same Phase (one for my proamp, the other for everything else).

Ensured my cable was grounded properly outside. Removed as many splitters as I could (which helped reduce the hum the most). Inserted a VSIS-EU Cable TV Ground Loop Isolator.

Tried to daisy chain some copper cable to each component (someone mentioned doing this to eliminate their hum).

Tried both RCA to RCA (by far the worst hum), XLR to RCA (pretty bad), and 2 different XLR cables (lowest hum).

Prayed.

Swore.

Cried.

Not necessarily in that order and one much more than the other two.

I did just go to Home Depot to see if that would eliminate the hum and of course, just my luck, they didn't carry cheater plugs.

Quote:

Old 04-02-2011, 03:18 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Hmmm ... guess I see why I can't find any of these cheater plugs in Canada. Apparently our electrical code is a tad more stringent ...

http://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-datab...plugs-any-more

Quote:

Old 04-02-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Hmmm ... guess I see why I can't find any of these cheater plugs in Canada. Apparently our electrical code is a tad more stringent ...

http://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-datab...plugs-any-more

Try Home Hardware, they carry them in my area.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:22 PM

In the past I made a short cheater extension by cutting the ground pin. If that did not fix the problem I made the neutral spade the same size as the smaller live spade, so that the live and neutral could be reversed. I recommend this only to isolate the problem, so you can fix it.
Sa
Old 04-02-2011, 06:40 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Glide View Post

Try Home Hardware, they carry them in my area.

May try that tomorrow, there is one near me I think. Not a fan of the cheater plug, but just want to see if that eliminates the hum, though if it does not sure I'll keep it in.

Quote:

Old 04-02-2011, 06:45 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Wonder if one of these on the TV would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-Vol...1791364&sr=8-1

Quote:

Old 04-02-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

pbc,

You probably already know this but the hum when associated with the ground wire has to do with the differential between grounds. If you could ground all items at the same point, then the ground should go away.

With that said, I'm just wondering how one can create a common ground for all components.

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor