Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

B) As a member of the "scientific crowd" I can tell you that our knowledge regarding what things are audible, and what aren't, are based almost exclusively on psychoacoustic studies of actual humans with good hearing in controlled settings, quite the opposite of "we look at the numbers and make our decisions from there".

a very good point... and one for subjectivists to keep in mind... much of what "we" know HAS been learned by "listening", the very thing that many like to accuse the "scientific crowd"* of NOT doing...

does that mean that i (or you, or others) won't look at a number and say "it's inaudible, don't worry about it" and discard something out of hand?... nope... but the only reason "we" can discard (or not discard, as the case may be) with confidence is BECAUSE of what has been learned by bias-controlled tests....

* y'know... i'm not sure i'd wanna be part of a crowd that includes you and me... we're pretty surly characters at times...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just videogon my new unopened AV 7005 because im going to try going with a pro audio DSP. Intresting to read about the burn in improvements.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Michael Fremer's glowing review is now up on the Home Theater web site here.

"If not for Venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all."
Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

I just videogon my new unopened AV 7005 because im going to try going with a pro audio DSP. Intresting to read about the burn in improvements.

Too bad you can't find a unit to demo at home before you sell it.

I was maybe at a similar decision point. I wanted to replace an Anthem AVM-20 and I wanted room correction. I think we are at a point, maybe in the next 12-18 months, where we will see major improvements and implementations in room correction DSP. On the low and mid end units with Audyssey etc. and on the mid to high end with Diarc, Trinnov, Lyngdorf etc. Anthem has trickled down their ARC to their mid-fi receivers and I imagine they will continue to improve ARC for their flag ship unit. I think this is a real growth area for consumer electronics as there is not much that separates high end units on decoding codecs and DAC's will always be a point of discussion.

I didn't want to get stuck with another expensive boat anchor if and when this happens. So the AV7005 was a stop gap purchase for me. I was very pleasantly surprised. You cannot beat it for the money. It sounds good. The Audyssey is OK; I needed run it several times and some manual tuning to get it dialed in. I use the AV7005 in a dedicated theater room with Linn speakers and a JL audio sub-woofer. Music listening is on a separate system. The AV7005 is a piece that you can live with comfortably.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

...snip... You cannot beat it for the money.

Very true. You are getting a lot of bang for the buck with the 7005.

If you have looked around as I have, you'll know that there really isn't anything else out there that's not already 18 months old, long in the tooth, lacking expected features and is due for a refresh.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

* y'know... i'm not sure i'd wanna be part of a crowd that includes you and me... we're pretty surly characters at times...

Surely, you can't be serious.

---

Thank goodness for Fremer's review, linked to above. Now, finally, all of us long time owners know how the AV7005 actually sounds.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Old 04-07-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

... If you have looked around as I have, you'll know that there really isn't anything else out there that's not already 18 months old, long in the tooth, lacking expected features and is due for a refresh.

Exactly. Processing power today is very robust and cheap compared to when most of the units available today were designed. I really expect to see an new generation of pre-pros, new platforms, with extensive room correction DSP capabilities.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McWilliams View Post

Michael Fremer's glowing review is now up on the Home Theater web site here.

I completely agree with Michael Fremer's review. I would even go a step further and say that when you introduce the OPPO-95 into the mix, the sonic differences between the Cary Cinema 11a and the AV7005 become negligible if you use the AV7005 in 2-ch. analogue Pure Audio and, for multi-channel, the OPPO-95 7.1 mch. out. The only time that I use Audyssey is for the cable box. A good room treatment helps too.
Sandro
Old 04-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ok, prior to my returning the unit, I'm giving the system more time since I DO like the flexibility of the unit in bass management. I don't care for Audyssey in my system on the mains, but it's good on the subs. Is there a way to keep Audyssey engaged for subs, but defeat for all other speakers? I've been trying the bypass L/R, but this still keeps it on for the center and sounds non-cohesive. I like what Audyssey has done on the subs though. REW sub measurements are good on them too. If I go to manual EQ from the Audyssey settings, it seems to deactivate Audyssey EQ on the sub output. I've also got a SVS EQ-1 in my system for a demo (possibly to keep in lieu of the 7005) and that may be the answer for only sub EQing while leaving the mains/center/surrounds alone.

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
Old 04-07-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Surely, you can't be serious.

---

Thank goodness for Fremer's review, linked to above. Now, finally, all of us long time owners know how the AV7005 actually sounds.

well, no, people should be clamoring to be in a group with us... and don't call me shirley...

i didn't bother reading it, i'm assuming it's the "normal" fremer review?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder1995 View Post

Ok, prior to my returning the unit, I'm giving the system more time since I DO like the flexibility of the unit in bass management. I don't care for Audyssey in my system on the mains, but it's good on the subs. Is there a way to keep Audyssey engaged for subs, but defeat for all other speakers? I've been trying the bypass L/R, but this still keeps it on for the center and sounds non-cohesive. I like what Audyssey has done on the subs though. REW sub measurements are good on them too. If I go to manual EQ from the Audyssey settings, it seems to deactivate Audyssey EQ on the sub output.

Try reactivating audyssey with the eq button on the remote. Watch the 7005 display to be sure that its doing something.

Also before you return it, please use a tape measure to check the distances of the front 3 speakers to your primary listening position. Run a listening test with audyssey calculated distances then change them to what the tape measure shows. This might be where mine needed some tweaking.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

not to step on anyone's toes, but leave the distances that audyssey sets alone... it's basing the delay off of measured response....

- chris

Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Distances are all correct (checked). I suppose I've gotten accustomed to the timbre/tonal quality of my speakers in my room, so now other settings seem falsely inflated at certain frequencies. I just doesn't sound natural to my ears. Perhaps I need to re-run and spend some time listening in that mode to readjust my ears. I'll tinker on it some more though. My wife's out of town on business starting this weekend, so I'll have lots of evening freetime to tinker and listen at any level.

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Distances are all correct (checked)... Perhaps I need to re-run and spend some time listening in that mode to readjust my ears. ...

Oh, burn in.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Either that or I need to elevate my cables so the electrons can flow down a more gradual slope.
Ya, as far as room EQing, I hated the Pioneer MCCACMCA, or whatever they call it, and now Audyssey isn't that impressive in my room to my ears either. BUT on bass (sub out) Audyssey is great and seems less intrusive. I had/have a fairly flat response before on subs with a bit of room gain bloat around 15Hz-30Hz then a gradual slope down up to ~150Hz. Audyssey just leveled it out.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i didn't bother reading it, i'm assuming it's the "normal" fremer review?

Yup. It would be a waste of your time; don't bother. The typical drek regarding things like "sheen", "shimmer", "solidity", "authority" and what not, which can easily dupe the naive because units that do not have ruler flat frequency responses (unlike amps/preamps with their auto-EQs , etc. bypassed) may indeed sound different in these poetically descriptive terms. [edit to add: I find it exceedingly hard to believe he simply "doesn't know this", if you get my drift.]

We also get the expected, non-committal, wishy-washy "almost as good as my reference piece in some ways, but not it others." Freeing him to take an about face at any time, at a later date, should the unit suddenly fall out of favor in the "audiophile" community for some reason: "I knew that bass sounded mushy! See, I told ya."

He makes one interesting observation that using cascading video processors, both one in the AVR or AV prepro and then a secondary one in the TV itself is not ideal, which I agree has some logic to it, advising the AV7005 best be used with all video processing turned completely off), however what he fails to appreciate is that all processing should be done in one's switcher, per input, not the display at all (with its singularly used input). The display instead should ideally act as a dumb, passive monitor, such that each source device's input can be tailored specifically for the incoming signal's resolution/gamma/frame rate etc. at the switcher unit. Since not all video displays have a direct 1:1 pixel mapping feature with the ability to turn off all video processing, scaling, deinterlacing, etc, I guess his advice does have merit for some.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... BUT on bass (sub out) Audyssey is great and seems less intrusive. ...

Yes, I would agree.

I have a pretty good room over all to begin with, however, Audyssey has help with the dialog as well.

We don't use the room for music per se, but listening to "Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's" with Audyssey engaged has added definition and dynamics to the individual instruments without localizing at any one speaker.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Liked: 11
Picking up my AV7005 tomorrow. Will set it up this weekend!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:10 PM

Anyone compared the Nad M15HD or Old version in the same system with teh AV7005 that could give me a summary viewpoint.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:18 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quite happy with the heat (or lack thereof) that this unit puts off. Just watched Tron Legacy at -10db to reference and the thing is still cool to the touch. Bravo Marantz. My old Integra 9.8, Onkyo 886, and Denon 3808 put off heat like a furnace.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:32 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Quite happy with the heat (or lack thereof) that this unit puts off. Just watched Tron Legacy at -10db to reference and the thing is still cool to the touch. Bravo Marantz. My old Integra 9.8, Onkyo 886, and Denon 3808 put off heat like a furnace.

I can't imagine increasing the volume on the AV7005 would increase any measurable temperature output. None the less, my experience is the same as yours in that the heat generated from this unit is very minimal. I can also say the same for my Emotiva XPA-5 that sits right next to it. I can tell it gets slightly warm, but never hot.
LL
LL
Old 04-07-2011, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

Ok, prior to my returning the unit, I'm giving the system more time since I DO like the flexibility of the unit in bass management. I don't care for Audyssey in my system on the mains, but it's good on the subs. ...................... I've also got a SVS EQ-1 in my system for a demo (possibly to keep in lieu of the 7005) and that may be the answer for only sub EQing while leaving the mains/center/surrounds alone.

It is.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 04-07-2011, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa_M View Post

I completely agree with Michael Fremer's review. I would even go a step further and say that when you introduce the OPPO-95 into the mix, the sonic differences between the Cary Cinema 11a and the AV7005 become negligible if you use the AV7005 in 2-ch. analogue Pure Audio and, for multi-channel, the OPPO-95 7.1 mch. out. The only time that I use Audyssey is for the cable box. A good room treatment helps too.
Sandro

I don't have the Cary but as I am typing I am listening to the 95/7005 mix in direct. It sounds really good. Sometimes I wonder if Marantz should have price this thing at $2499, then more people may think it sounds better than the Cary and/or Anthem's. On the other hand, they may not sell so well at the higher price. As it is now if you are in Canada you are going to have trouble getting one even at full price.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I haven't seen this posted in here yet, though I might have missed something.

Home Theater Magazine AV7005 + MM7055 Review by Michael Fremer

Since the whole thing is available online for free (though, I do subscribe to the digital version I use on my iPad). Here's an early quote:
Quote:

It’s among the most enjoyable pieces of A/V gear I’ve had the pleasure to use and review, regardless of price. And given the price, it’s a no-brainer Top Pick.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avman09 View Post

I don't have the Cary but as I am typing I am listening to the 95/7005 mix in direct. It sounds really good. Sometimes I wonder if Marantz should have price this thing at $2499, then more people may think it sounds better than the Cary and/or Anthem's. On the other hand, they may not sell so well at the higher price. As it is now if you are in Canada you are going to have trouble getting one even at full price.

avman09: you are more than welcome to send me the difference of the price you paid and $2499.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP
M.Zillch and ccotenj

I really don't want to get into a debate about burn in on electronics.

What would be a better question is to ask if you have the AV7005 and if you observed any change in sound quality after about 80 hrs of use. What about the picture quality issue referenced in post 4667.
Hi Jim
My AV7005 did in fact change after about 40 h of use. At first I was very displeased but am really liking it now. In the beginning it lacked in the highs. Vocals didn't feel presen in the room. This has really changed.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
I haven't seen this posted in here yet, though I might have missed something.

"Marantz AV7005 Surround Processor and MM7055 Amplifier", Home Theater Magazine Review by Michael Fremer
liked that the author also uses a Parasound Halo A51 amp with his unit sample, seems to match well.

An interesting comment from the article, comparing the MM7055 amp to the Halo A51 amp (quote):
"Just before I returned the HALO A 51 to the system, I played a variety of SACDs and Blu-ray concerts like Scorsese’s Shine a Light Stones concert and Jeff Beck’s Performing This Week...Live at Ronnie Scott’s. The MM7055’s sonic performance was plenty good on everything, and the Marantz never ran out of gas at the levels I was listening. But when I returned the HALO A 51 to the system, it produced a visceral improvement.

On the Waltz for Debby SACD, the increased background blackness and additional bass grip paired with increased image three-dimensionality and a noticeably deeper soundstage. Scott LaFaro’s bass had noticeably better body and drive. There was a greater sense of a double bass and less of a sense of just bass. Cymbal shimmer was sharper, cleaner, and more metallic, and the attack of Bill Evans’ piano was far more convincing, with greater sustain and more convincing decay."
Old 04-08-2011, 02:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsT View Post
Hi Jim
My AV7005 did in fact change after about 40 h of use. At first I was very displeased but am really liking it now. In the beginning it lacked in the highs. Vocals didn't feel presen in the room. This has really changed.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Something I've never understood with the "transistors need to be burned in" crowd is for some unknown reason:

A) Once the magic period had passed (40 hrs, 80hrs, whatever) the new sound they claim is always superior and never inferior (and only very rarely "equal"). You never hear, for example, "I loved the sound of my preamp when new, but then after it was burned in I noticed a loss in the highs and lack of authority in the low end after 80 hrs of use."

B) Similarly, once the magic burn in period had passed the new sound is then "fixed and unchanging". You never hear, "After burning in my preamp it sounded great the first half year, but then I noticed a gradual loss in the high end shimmer by the year's end."

Weird how the change in sound is always positive, never detrimental, and also weird how after burn in it becomes "fixed" and stagnate. If modern day, solid state audio electronics indeed changed audibly, based on the number of hours of use [which they don't], I'd think the change would be continuous. But heck, it's their mythology so they can make up the story however they please.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:54 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsT View Post

Hi Jim

That, or you got used to how the AV7005 sounded in the first place...

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor