post #4861 of 9637 Old 04-15-2011, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

S video...you don't need no stinking s video

I do think they make converters (s viceo to RCA)if you really wanted to keep that connection type.

Nope, I've got little converters littering my rack now, trying to extend the usefullness of my old pre-pro. I'm giving them the heave ho in favor of a nice clean rack. No more switches to get more inputs or work around the lack of an hdmi input. I think I can also get rid of my external analog bass management unit.

Ah, new gear day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 9637 Old 04-15-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 100
^The SVHS deck must have composite video out as well as the the s-video jacks. I'd run the composite and sound to the new AV7005 and s-video straight to the monitor (which I assume has an s-video in).

In theory keeping the Y and C separated (which is where the "s" comes from in "s-video", not "super" as many mistakenly think) all the way from the signal on the tape straight to the display will result in less hanging dots, dot crawl, and moire distortion, however, the digital upconversion and deinterlacing of the AV7005'a nice Anchor Bay chip has something to be said for it as well. By switching inputs on the display you can see which is better (and it may vary per tape recording, unfortunately).

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #4863 of 9637 Old 04-15-2011, 03:12 PM

Liked: 10
How do you turn the processor off
post #4864 of 9637 Old 04-15-2011, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by punt5656 View Post

With the power button?

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #4865 of 9637 Old 04-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
With either the main unit's power button or the remote's "standby" button.

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
post #4866 of 9637 Old 04-15-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
i've found that unplugging it often does the job...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4867 of 9637 Old 04-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

^The SVHS deck must have composite video out as well as the the s-video jacks. I'd run the composite and sound to the new AV7005 and s-video straight to the monitor (which I assume has an s-video in).

In theory keeping the Y and C separated (which is where the "s" comes from in "s-video", not "super" as many mistakenly think) all the way from the signal on the tape straight to the display will result in less hanging dots, dot crawl, and moire distortion, however, the digital upconversion and deinterlacing of the AV7005'a nice Anchor Bay chip has something to be said for it as well. By switching inputs on the display you can see which is better (and it may vary per tape recording, unfortunately).

I do have composite video out and that is what I will use. I am running to a projector though. Unfortunately, when I installed it there was no such thing as hdmi and I only ran composite and component cables through my ceiling. I have a bit of a pickle figuring out how I am going to get hdmi to my next projector. This one only takes component, composite, svhs and dvi. If I had been a better diy installer I would've run conduit to my projector. I didn't. I can run component from my bluray, but I lose upconverting on regular dvds.

I still have an old laserdisc in there too.
post #4868 of 9637 Old 04-15-2011, 05:45 PM

Both are great answers but that's not what I'm referring to. I'd like to see how the picture on my tv change with the processor running and with it off while the Av is still on
post #4869 of 9637 Old 04-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Both are great answers but that's not what I'm referring to. I'd like to see how the picture on my tv change with the processor running and with it off while the Av is still on

I think he means the video conversion processor. Too bad he couldn't have framed his question more precisely.

Answer: dive into the menus. You'll find it.
post #4870 of 9637 Old 04-15-2011, 06:07 PM

go back a few pages, it was very recently discussed in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

I think he means the video conversion processor. Too bad he couldn't have framed his question more precisely.

Answer: dive into the menus. You'll find it.

post #4871 of 9637 Old 04-15-2011, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hudson View Post

Nope, I've got little converters littering my rack now, trying to extend the usefullness of my old pre-pro. I'm giving them the heave ho in favor of a nice clean rack. No more switches to get more inputs or work around the lack of an hdmi input. I think I can also get rid of my external analog bass management unit.

Ah, new gear day!

I am all about nice clean racks Oh, you are still talking HT

I actually just remodeled my HT and that was one of my goals is to get the whole set-up clean. That includes speakers, TV, HT rack, etc..
post #4872 of 9637 Old 04-15-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

- make a joke, any at all will do, about the recent earthquake/tsunami in Japan.

- comment on the incredible good looks of the sister units (from the Denon side of the family).

- while checking out the rear apron, mention how it doesn't seem to get much use and isn't exactly what you had hoped for, then before warming her up, insert your plug hard and fast and immediately complain about how loose it feels compared to your previous one.

-later, sneek out while she's in sleep mode.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #4873 of 9637 Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
If your current speakers are in good shape, using the internal Audyssey calibration system you now have to custom match them to your room and placement will make a night and day better improvement than just getting new speakers, if you ask me.

Are you dead set against adding another small, modest pair of speakers to the rear for surround or a subwoofer for deeper bass extension? That would be my upgrade path before I'd junk those perfectly adequate speakers you have. Just my 2 cents.
I'm back. Thanks for the suggestion, mzillch. I gave my Missions another listen, and I'm definitely gonna consider your suggestion of adding to them instead of replacing them.

(As this is veering off-topic, I tried to send you a PM, but that obviously didn't work. I appreciate your input thus far, so I wanted to ask if you had any particular recommendations for surround speakers.)

Got the AB switch from Amazon, and it's perfect. For my music practice tracks, I multed the L channel to both left and right, and it works great.

Bob
post #4874 of 9637 Old 04-16-2011, 06:10 AM

well, ran accross my first glitch.....

i run my HD24500, PS3, PC and BD into the AV7005 via HDMI 1.4 cables then out to my Sony HX909 via HDMI 1.4 cable (both are ARC). switching from one source to another leaves my HX909 not seeing an input signal. i actually have to repower the AV7005 to get the signal.

i have a very early AV7005 and haven't upgraded anything yet......i'm hoping that corrects this inconvenience.

any thoughts?
post #4875 of 9637 Old 04-16-2011, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 173
2010SSRS,

First thought is why didn't you try the firmware update first before posting about it on the forum?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4876 of 9637 Old 04-16-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
2010SSRS,

First thought is why didn't you try the firmware update first before posting about it on the forum?
uhm.....because it's a forum, and last i knew we were all here to share our experiences (good and bad) with the AV7005 and help one another out.........

why would anyone assume that updating the software would be the fix? i've had occations where updating devices actually makes things worse, not better.

i have read this entire thread and remember something simular being posted but can't find the spot, and don't remember what the outcome was.

so to answer you question, sir........why wouldn't i consult many individuals with the same equipment? maybe they have had simular problems and have found a definitive resolution other than my original theory of a software upgrade, which in my experience, could make things worse?

sorry to have taken up precious space in this thread with such a trivial question........lol
post #4877 of 9637 Old 04-16-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Hey...people ask stupid questions all the time. You certainly won't be the first. On occassion, I do it too. lol

I don't recall anyone saying that the current firmware update breaks anything. The only thing that doesn't work as expected are some of the extras such as airplay.

Just be sure when you do the firmware update, that you open the little garage door on the front of the unit to check the progress of the download, then the progress of the installation. These status items don't show on your projector/display. AND whatever you do, don't get the urge to uplug the prepro while its in progress. That may very well brick it.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4878 of 9637 Old 04-16-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm trying to scope out how best to connect all my devices to my home network. I'm using a LinkSys gigabit router with 4-ports.

At this point every port is taken (I really prefer to have all my devices connected via-hard wire)- ie. home PC, work PC (laptop), printer, external drive (WD MyBookLive).

Now I'm wanting to connect my AV7005 and an Oppo BDP-95. I'm wondering if I should get a second router and daisy-chain it? Or set-up wireless bridge(s)?
post #4879 of 9637 Old 04-16-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I'm trying to scope out how best to connect all my devices to my home network. I'm using a LinkSys gigabit router with 4-ports.

At this point every port is taken (I really prefer to have all my devices connected via-hard wire)- ie. home PC, work PC (laptop), printer, external drive (WD MyBookLive).

Now I'm wanting to connect my AV7005 and an Oppo BDP-95. I'm wondering if I should get a second router and daisy-chain it? Or set-up wireless bridge(s)?

When I got my AV7005 last week, I'd run out of ports on my old Netgear router. I daisy-chained an Ethernet switch to the router, and connected the Marantz and my Oppo BDP-83 to it. No configuration needed - it was just plug-and-play.

Bob
post #4880 of 9637 Old 04-16-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobK88 View Post

When I got my AV7005 last week, I'd run out of ports on my old Netgear router. I daisy-chained an Ethernet switch to the router, and connected the Marantz and my Oppo BDP-83 to it. No configuration needed - it was just plug-and-play.

That's what I did...just ran a network cable from the router to a switch located behind the system rack, then plug all the AV stuff into the switch.

For the Marantz and other devices I want to access through web interfaces I assigned static IPs to them just outside the DHCP range controlled by the router. That way the IP address is always the same for a shortcut/link.

post #4881 of 9637 Old 04-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

Unless your setup allows you to run 2 parallel ethernet cables from the vicinity of your router to your A/V gear, you're going to need two network switches because wiring up a switch will consume one of your 4 router ports.

You'll need one switch near the router. This will have 2 "outputs": 1 to whatever device the switch displaced, and 1 for the cable to your A/V equipment.

Then you'll need another switch near the A/V gear to split the single ethernet cable to the Marantz and the Oppo. This one doesn't need to be gigabit switch because the gear is only 100 Mbps.
post #4882 of 9637 Old 04-16-2011, 07:55 PM

Every time I start up my Marantz 7005, it asks me if I want to buy airfoil. It's annoying because it requires me to hit a button on the remote just to dismiss the solicitation. Anyone know how to get rid of this question popping up at the start of every session?
post #4883 of 9637 Old 04-16-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post

Every time I start up my Marantz 7005, it asks me if I want to buy airfoil. It's annoying because it requires me to hit a button on the remote just to dismiss the solicitation. Anyone know how to get rid of this question popping up at the start of every session?

You can disable it. I found it after digging through the options menus. I think it's in the same area where it asks you to be notified for firmware upgrades. I'm not at home at the moment or I'd be able to give you more specifics.
post #4884 of 9637 Old 04-17-2011, 04:30 AM

Hi all
Today I found a strange problem/behaviour of my marantz av7005.
I connected my pc using hdmi3 to the marantz. My pc has a silent version of the geforce gt 430 graphics card. This card can do hd audio over hdmi.
When I use the hdmi 1 output of the marantz then HD audio works but when I choose hdmi 2 as output then the properties of my audio devices does not list the hd audio formats.
Hdmi 1 is connected too my Epson 5500 projector and hdmi 2 is connected too my Lg 50pk550 plasma. When I swap the outputs of my marantz so projector too output 2 and tv too 1 then the problem follows. So still only hd audio when the marantz is connected to my projector.

Another strange observation when my Tv is off and the marantz output is too the tv then HD audio works.

Any ideas is this a marantz problem or a lg problem.

Eduard
post #4885 of 9637 Old 04-17-2011, 06:05 AM

Having the combo for a few days and I more than just thrilled and delighted. This must be the smartest purchase this year. Iquickly added an MM7025. Given the fact I have some extra integrated amps which I can also use them as power amp, I am curious about if AV7005 can be used to drive 9.2 speakers?
Is there any benefit of adding a 2nd central speaker?

Mark K
post #4886 of 9637 Old 04-17-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post

Having the combo for a few days and I more than just thrilled and delighted. This must be the smartest purchase this year. Iquickly added an MM7025. Given the fact I have some extra integrated amps which I can also use them as power amp, I am curious about if AV7005 can be used to drive 9.2 speakers?

While you theoretically could split the pre outs to multiple amps for more speakers, the 7005 is still only 7.1 processing.

post #4887 of 9637 Old 04-17-2011, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

^Agreed. Only 7.1 channels at a time can be accessed. Don't let the extra pairs, front wides and heights fool you. They are alternatives and wont work simultaneously if you set the unit up to have surround backs. [The best choice for most rooms and most people, especially if you are doing movie/TV sound reproduction, IMHO.]
---

Quote:

Since few of us have an acoustically transparent screen (display), therefor being able to place the center speaker in the correct location (the center of the image) we have to compromise and choose either mounting it below or above the image.

One way to combat this is to mount two speakers, one above and one below, to create a phantom image of one centrally mounted speaker. It has pros and cons but overall I'd say if you already have the extra speaker (ideally identical to the first) and an extra channel of amplification, it can't hurt to try it out (obviously re-running the Audyssey microphone test), however if you need to buy extra stuff to try it, unless you currently find the sonic localization of the center image being too high or too low very disconcerting, then don't bother.

post #4888 of 9637 Old 04-17-2011, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been using 5.1 for so long and I have only a very small place for all my home theater. Is there a need for surround back because I do see some movies offer discrete 7.1 channel?

Mark K
post #4889 of 9637 Old 04-17-2011, 08:48 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been using 5.1 for so long and I have only a very small place for all my home theater. Is there a need for surround back because I do see some movies offer discrete 7.1 channel?

I like the rear surrounds, but I'm not sure if it makes sense in a smaller room. It also depends on your room setup; do you have sufficient space to place speakers actually behind you?
post #4890 of 9637 Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

I like the rear surrounds, but I'm not sure if it makes sense in a smaller room. It also depends on your room setup; do you have sufficient space to place speakers actually behind you?

If not space behind then possibly DPLIIz makes sense.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page