AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
[quote=Bill Mac;19040480]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrgy View Post

Thats interesting, I wonder when Marantz will make it official?

Probably not until CES.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 9667 Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah I was skeptical about what he told me as well. But Marantz is a "smaller" division than Denon and he is one of two full line dealers in TX, so he may have a very close relationship with Marantz.
post #33 of 9667 Old 08-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Marantz also did a full tour around the country talking to their dealers before announcing their new products so the dealers would know what is coming, so perhaps they mentioned even more to the dealers than they announced publicly, since they wouldn't want to announce something 9-12 months before it's going to be ready for release.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #34 of 9667 Old 08-13-2010, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Well now that is interesting. If I knew for certain that there was an AV8005 I'd probably hold off on buying a 7005. Hopefully we'll know more on that by October.

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
post #35 of 9667 Old 08-13-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
[quote=Bill Mac;19040480]
Quote:

Thats interesting, I wonder when Marantz will make it official?

Unless the dealer is very knowledgable in all aspects (internal components etc.) of the new Denon AVRs, the new Marantz AVRs and the not yet released AV7005 I would not take his opinion as a definite. I hope he is correct and the new Marantz AVRs and the AV7005 have better internal components (DACs and analog stage) than those of the Denons.

Bill

I guess he is based this on the bluray's that clearly follow that path. I can see how Marantz would use the hdmi and dac sections of denon and work from there to tune it to their 'sound'. If the 8xxx line has the dac and analog section of the denon avp for example that won't be a bad starting point.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #36 of 9667 Old 08-13-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:

I talked with a Marantz dealer yesterday who said that the 8xxx won't be available till spring.

On a side note. He said the denons and marantz's now share very similar HDMI boards but that's all

I don't suppose he mentioned what would be better with the 8005?

The 7005 seems very good, I was considering upgrading from a Halo C2 (will get the new codecs, Audyssey, upscaling) and only use digital sources now, no analogue. Would be great if you cold choose which inputs get upscaled and which passed through.
post #37 of 9667 Old 08-14-2010, 05:39 AM

Found this pdf on the website of a swedish AV-store : http://www.hembioconsult.se/partnerf...pdf/AV7005.pdf No picture of the rear though.

Just skimming thru the specs, it seems to be an sr7005 minus the amps. It looks really interesting for the price. There are some limitations (well, not really limitations for me, but they will be for some I guess): it doesn't seem to do DSD over HDMI, Audyssey "limited" to XT, no mention of XT32 (allthough I'm pretty sure there is a Audyssey-pro option), no XLR inputs, no THX. That's what I noticed so far. I don't need any of those features anyway, so if I one day consider buying a pre-pro, this one will be on my list.
post #38 of 9667 Old 08-14-2010, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Great find George. Thanks for sharing. I would conclude from this that there is an 8xxx model right around the corner. Why else would you have a brochure drawing attention to all the features your product doesn't have? Unless your true flagship product is on the way soon, and all those "-"s will be "o"s in the flagship brochure.

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
post #39 of 9667 Old 08-14-2010, 08:39 AM

Well, I guess you're right that those "-" in the specs table doesn't make it look like a "true" flagship product. As it is, the AV8003 has those "flagship specs", but it is of course also missing many of the new features of the AV7005. To be honest I'm not sure how much of a difference all those missing "flagship specs" of the AV7005 make, if any, but I guess some audio purists might see the 7005 as a slight downgrade over the AV8003. Peronally, I would take the 7005 over the 8003 because of the newer features, but it makes me wonder too, if maybe Marantz is working on a "real" replacement for the AV8003. I'd be really surprised if it will available anytime this year though, as it hasn't even been announced yet.
post #40 of 9667 Old 08-14-2010, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Assuming that the DHC-80.2 is similar to a DHC-80.1 w/HDMI 1.4a, what does the DHC-80.2 offer over the Marantz AV7005? I had mediocre experience with Integra customer support.

Also what ABT chipset is in the AV7005?
post #41 of 9667 Old 08-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Assuming that the DHC-80.2 is similar to a DHC-80.1 w/HDMI 1.4a, what does the DHC-80.2 offer over the Marantz AV7005? I had mediocre experience with Integra customer support.

If u had a mediocre experience with Integra, why didn't u call on your Integra dealer or servicenter for assistance ? THEY r your 2nd best advocate after yourself of course.
There r plenty that have had a very good experience. I am sure it works the same way with all brands.
What, if I may ask, caused u to to have a not so positiveexperience with them ?

alan
post #42 of 9667 Old 08-15-2010, 05:01 AM

I still think it sux that the AV7005 wont use the new XT-32. As i see it wont use it as it's not mentioned anywhere...
post #43 of 9667 Old 08-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

According to the spec sheet linked several posts earlier, it's the ABT 2015.

Brad
post #44 of 9667 Old 08-15-2010, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It seems to me that the Marantz units always seem to be a generation behind the Denons in terms of "cutting edge features". Denon comes out with the newest features, then Marantz refines them and you see them in next year's Marantz units....

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #45 of 9667 Old 08-15-2010, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To a certain degree.... seems to me that they sure jumped straight into an empty market here with the AV7005 being the only prepro in this pricepoint with all the features one would need for a simple yet comprehensive setup. Even the addition of Audyssey Pro on this unit would make a great product for the money.

I got the D2v for my main room but have been waiting for something less expensive to appear for my bedroom 5.1 only... The AV7005 looks to be filling that niche pretty well IMO.

If there is indeed something coming down the pipe with the likes of an 8005 - that would be spectacular and will make for one heck of an alternative to a AVM50v or D2v if it will be having the XT32 included. With Marantz's seeming edge towards SQ I think it could be a great product. They certainly can lean back on all the knowledge and experience of the Denon's PreAmp...
post #46 of 9667 Old 08-15-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanl715 View Post

If u had a mediocre experience with Integra, why didn't u call on your Integra dealer or servicenter for assistance ? THEY r your 2nd best advocate after yourself of course.

The service center Integra recommended broke my unit doing a FW upgrade, then they said they were sending it to Integra, Integra claimed they never got it (and had really unhelpful CS reps), then it turns out the svc center lost it, finally I got a replacement preamp 2.5 months later. What bothered me the most is that A) I couldn't do the firmware upgrade, B) their service center they made me go to for the FW upgrade sucked, C) Integra themselves were not helpful when the service center lost the unit. They eventually did replace it but I had no preamp for almost 3 months.

Does Marantz work with svc centers also or can you send the unit directly back to them?
post #47 of 9667 Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

It seems to me that the Marantz units always seem to be a generation behind the Denons in terms of "cutting edge features". Denon comes out with the newest features, then Marantz refines them and you see them in next year's Marantz units....

Very much the way that General Motors had positioned Oldsmobile.

Olds was the first line to feature major innovations and later they would then be available on Buick and Cadillac.
ejceles likes this.
post #48 of 9667 Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I also remember Marantz having a better warranty than Denon, which further distinguished the Marantz line. However, I'm noticing more and more Denon products with a 3-year warranty, which equals the Marantz.

Brad
post #49 of 9667 Old 08-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I too have the same question. I have a dtc9.8 and I am due for a new one (my wife may think different). I have not had issues with support. My dealer did have to get me a new one, but I still have some HDMI issues and remote control issues. I cannot use my pronto pro with it. The unit looses lock on HDMI if I do. and it takes a few recycles with low def video to get it back. Very strange. I have been VERY happy with Marantz products in the past. So this is great news for me. Dealer is closer too.
post #50 of 9667 Old 08-19-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitsman View Post

I too have the same question. I have a dtc9.8 and I am due for a new one (my wife may think different). I have not had issues with support. My dealer did have to get me a new one, but I still have some HDMI issues and remote control issues. I cannot use my pronto pro with it. The unit looses lock on HDMI if I do. and it takes a few recycles with low def video to get it back. Very strange. I have been VERY happy with Marantz products in the past. So this is great news for me. Dealer is closer too.

Well I'm happy I didn't just run off and grab one of the Integras.... I think Denon's experience with Pre-Pros will yield positive results in the upcoming Marantz....
post #51 of 9667 Old 08-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The service center Integra recommended broke my unit doing a FW upgrade, then they said they were sending it to Integra, Integra claimed they never got it (and had really unhelpful CS reps), then it turns out the svc center lost it, finally I got a replacement preamp 2.5 months later. What bothered me the most is that A) I couldn't do the firmware upgrade, B) their service center they made me go to for the FW upgrade sucked, C) Integra themselves were not helpful when the service center lost the unit. They eventually did replace it but I had no preamp for almost 3 months.

Does Marantz work with svc centers also or can you send the unit directly back to them?

but why did you not get the Integra dealer u purchased it from involved ? You do not mention anything about them. They could've / should've gotten it straightened out with the rep firm. They have always been attentive to our needs and we're a small dealer/servicenter.
post #52 of 9667 Old 08-21-2010, 10:03 AM
EJD

Anyone know how the ABT 2015 in the 7005 compares to the Anchor Bay technology in the Oppo BDP-83?

Curious if it would be comparable in terms of upscaling ability.
post #53 of 9667 Old 08-22-2010, 11:44 PM

Marantz AV7005 specs say it has 750W power consumption, is that typical for this type of prepro?
post #54 of 9667 Old 08-23-2010, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFinn View Post

Marantz AV7005 specs say it has 750W power consumption, is that typical for this type of prepro?

I saw that too It's a miss print and I would guess it's even lower than the AV8003's 85W
post #55 of 9667 Old 08-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD View Post

Anyone know how the ABT 2015 in the 7005 compares to the Anchor Bay technology in the Oppo BDP-83?

Curious if it would be comparable in terms of upscaling ability.

The ABT 2015 is the updated version of the 2010 that is used in the Oppo. Of course, a lot of performance comes down to the implementation of the chip, so you can't just pop it in and get the exact same results as the Oppo, but it means that it has the potential to get those results with good firmware and engineering.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #56 of 9667 Old 08-24-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by King George II View Post

Found this pdf on the website of a swedish AV-store : http://www.hembioconsult.se/partnerf...pdf/AV7005.pdf No picture of the rear though.

Thanks for the link, but the information in that seems rather suspect. Like how's it have 750W power consumption as a Pre-amp? [Edit, I see other people beat me to this observation]

It has 7.2 balanced outputs & has 11.2 multichannel pre-out, but is only sold as 7.1ch AV Pre-amplifier? There's also no mention of how many channels it can simultaneously output. Can it do 9.1 or 11.1, or is it just 7.1 with 2 identical sub outputs?
post #57 of 9667 Old 08-24-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Well I'm happy I didn't just run off and grab one of the Integras.... I think Denon's experience with Pre-Pros will yield positive results in the upcoming Marantz....

Warp, You going to buy it? Im thinking about it!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #58 of 9667 Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So is the AV7005 roll out still this Oct or delayed until next spring-post CES?

Thanks.
post #59 of 9667 Old 08-24-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Thanks for the link, but the information in that seems rather suspect. Like how's it have 750W power consumption as a Pre-amp? [Edit, I see other people beat me to this observation]

It has 7.2 balanced outputs & has 11.2 multichannel pre-out, but is only sold as 7.1ch AV Pre-amplifier? There's also no mention of how many channels it can simultaneously output. Can it do 9.1 or 11.1, or is it just 7.1 with 2 identical sub outputs?

Also very interested to know this. If it does 11.2 with XT 32 that puts it alongside the 4311 which has been rumored to deliver 11.X as well.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #60 of 9667 Old 08-24-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:

So is the AV7005 roll out still this Oct or delayed until next spring-post CES?

Called Marantz and they told me it's looking like 1st to 2nd week of november.

Also asked him to compare AV7005 to the other AV8003 and he felt that the AV7005 should be on par with the other as far as sound quality. but the 7005 blows the doors off the 8003 as far as new features. Did not say that there are any plans for an AV8005. So, this sounds good to me so far, except for the November delivery estimate. I'm on the market for a pre/pro NOW! guess i'll keep looking while i wait for this one.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page