post #7801 of 9639 Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post

Having all your speakers at -4 to -6 gives you more headroom so the signal from the 7005 doesn't get clipped. That's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

you might want to rethink that...

I may be mis-applying something I recalled reading about the interaction between sub gain and sub output level within the pre-pro. I'll see if I can dig up the info that led me to make the statement I made.

If you can correct me before then please do. I'm just trying to help the guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7802 of 9639 Old 02-26-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The SR7005 isn't designed for 4Ω speakers so you'll likely want to add an external amp that can better handle them.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to hook up (nominal) 4 ohm speakers if it were just one pair , but not two pair at the same time{A + B}, and giving it a go, before feeling the need to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on another amp with more power.

Although Marantz may not officially condone this, keep in mind this isn't some introductory receiver; it is their top of the line model, and their recommendation of sticking to 6 to 8 ohm nominal impedance speakers is not so much based on "what the amp can do" but rather "what allows us to sail through the UL rating certification procedure as quickly and easily as possible".

As long as one is only running a single pair, not two at once, I don't see a big problem unless the speakers are unusually inefficient or if one really likes to crank it up for extended periods (parties), but this would also be true if the speakers were 8 ohm nominal impedance.

HomeTheater magazine also didn't seem scared to hook it up to a purely 4 ohm load (a resistor) and measured some pretty good results under said conditions:

"Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 200.1 watts and 1 percent distortion at 222.6 watts. "

[I would assume like their 8 ohm test mentioned immediately before this, they were using 2 channels simultaneously. 5 or 7 channels driven simultaneously at full tilt, rather rare in most movie soundtracks except for a tiny fraction of a second when the Death Star explodes, should yield lower numbers.]

Of course if the top of the receiver gets so hot you can't rest your hand atop it without having to pull it away, or if the unit keeps shutting down and going into standby (safety) mode until it cools and recovers on its own a few minutes later, then you can ignore my above post.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #7803 of 9639 Old 02-26-2012, 03:30 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
^^
Hope that rendition wasn't for my benefit seeing as you quoted me, as even lower level Denon AVRs can easily run 4Ω speakers at "average" volume levels. I was responding to avdork who indicated his AVR was set well above reference level at +8db, and that being the case, he would be much better served with a more powerful external amp.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7804 of 9639 Old 02-26-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

He may be better served with an external amp, based on his volume needs, but it has nothing to do with his receiver being "not designed to drive" 4 ohm nominal impedance speakers, and my read of the statement you made, which I quoted, with your use of the word "so", implied that.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #7805 of 9639 Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 PM

Liked: 14
Does anyone know if streamed FLAC music from an NAS can be output via the Optical Out? I don't see any options for this in the setup since the Net/USB source is not part of the Input Setup menu. I'm guessing the answer is no and this only works for CD-R. I called Marantz and asked about this, but I wasn't given a convincing answer by the CS rep who at first didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
post #7806 of 9639 Old 02-26-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

^^Thanks, I appreciate the effort. I guess all I really wanted to know is what type of information is displayed on the tv by a single press of a button. Most pre amps and AVR show the volume, source, sound format and even the number of channels - on the units display pannel. Some will also display the same info that is on the panel on the tv. This would come in particularly handy since the 7005 has a hidden front panel that I would perfer to have closed all the time.

Thanks

Paul

It will display on the TV as long as you have the video processor engaged (i.e., not passthrough). I have a macro for the button sequence to access the Information menu as I tend to review this menu too often. It takes 3 button presses to get there from a fresh power cycle, after which accessing the main menu again will be selected on the last top-level menu you selected previously until another power cycle. Anyway, the Information top-menu contains sub-menus to display the information you're looking for. Here's the path and sub-menu details:

Main Menu > Information > Status
Main Menu > Information > Audio Input Signal
Main Menu > Information > HDMI Information

- Status displays all the Input info that is selected like Input Name and HDMI port# (i.e., not the source signal info).
- Audio Input Signal displays the actual source signal info and includes: Signal, Surround Processing Mode, Sampling Frequency, Format (i.e., 3/2.1), Audio Offset
- HDMI Information displays the Input/Output for Resolution, Color Space, and Pixel Depth.

Here's a sreenshot of the HDMI Information screen I posted some time back. It's actually from my SR6005 (I also have an AV7005), but the screens are identical.

post #7807 of 9639 Old 02-27-2012, 03:07 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post

Does anyone know if streamed FLAC music from an NAS can be output via the Optical Out? I don't see any options for this in the setup since the Net/USB source is not part of the Input Setup menu. I'm guessing the answer is no and this only works for CD-R. I called Marantz and asked about this, but I wasn't given a convincing answer by the CS rep who at first didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

Likely similar to the 3311CI, in that only audio input to either OPT1 or OPT2 can be output to the OPT OUT.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #7808 of 9639 Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post

It will display on the TV as long as you have the video processor engaged (i.e., not passthrough). I have a macro for the button sequence to access the Information menu as I tend to review this menu too often. It takes 3 button presses to get there from a fresh power cycle, after which accessing the main menu again will be selected on the last top-level menu you selected previously until another power cycle. Anyway, the Information top-menu contains sub-menus to display the information you're looking for. Here's the path and sub-menu details:

Main Menu > Information > Status
Main Menu > Information > Audio Input Signal
Main Menu > Information > HDMI Information

- Status displays all the Input info that is selected like Input Name and HDMI port# (i.e., not the source signal info).
- Audio Input Signal displays the actual source signal info and includes: Signal, Surround Processing Mode, Sampling Frequency, Format (i.e., 3/2.1), Audio Offset
- HDMI Information displays the Input/Output for Resolution, Color Space, and Pixel Depth.

Here's a sreenshot of the HDMI Information screen I posted some time back. It's actually from my SR6005 (I also have an AV7005), but the screens are identical.

Thanks red_5ive, that really helps me out. A few local dealers did not have the AV 7005 setup...... I'll take a look at the SR6005, I know that this unit is set up in one of their rooms, if the menus are the same in terms of this menu functionality,like you stated, I'll take a look at it.

Thanks

Paul
post #7809 of 9639 Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Looking for idea's, I have a Mac Mini HDMI> AV7005 RCA's> Parasound A51. I have a Peachtree Grand Pre coming to play with later this week. Has anyone tried this?
Mini HDMI to the 7005, then optical to a DAC? vs.
Mini HDMI to 7005, USB to DAC?
Any sound differance upto 96 bit files?

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #7810 of 9639 Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks red_5ive, that really helps me out. A few local dealers did not have the AV 7005 setup...... I'll take a look at the SR6005, I know that this unit is set up in one of their rooms, if the menus are the same in terms of this menu functionality,like you stated, I'll take a look at it.

Thanks

Paul

No problem, glad to help . I haven't done a 1:1 comparison between the menus on both units, but I'll say this much - considering I frequently use both units, I can't think of where the menus are different.

post #7811 of 9639 Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Likely similar to the 3311CI, in that only audio input to either OPT1 or OPT2 can be output to the OPT OUT.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info!

post #7812 of 9639 Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Page 24 does say RCA's in can be outputted to the Opt out. Now have not seen yet if HDMI can be outputted to Opt out.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #7813 of 9639 Old 02-27-2012, 08:35 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Guaranteed it won't do HDMI--> optical as no AVR can do that, however, p. 24 talks about a LAN connection.

post #7814 of 9639 Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 AM

^^ Yeah, the LAN connection is all I was concerned about. I wanted to try an outboard DAC via optical with streamed music.

post #7815 of 9639 Old 02-27-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Regarding the OPT OUT, my understanding is that it is a pass-through only port for in coming stereo PCM ONLY signals that one assigns (p68) to one of six, fixed assignments:
OPT 1, OPT 2, OPT 3 (front panel), COAX 1, COAX 2, or "None". What the manual is not very upfront about is that all the other assignments one is making in this menu screen page are inputs, but whatever one assigns to "CDR" is actually assigning the PCM stereo pass-through source for the OPT OUT output.

My breakdown regarding the OPT OUT signal:

HDMI in? Never.
Analog multi jack RCAs? Never.
Analog stereo RCAs? Never.
Digital 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS, arriving on OPT 1, 2, 3 or COAX 1, 2 ? NO, only 2 ch PCM allowed for these ports and only the one that has been assigned (fixed).
LAN/USB? NO.

This is certainly not how I would like it , but it is an inconvenient truth.

post #7816 of 9639 Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Page 24 does say RCA's in can be outputted to the Opt out.

I think you are mistaken.

http://us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster..._EN_UG_v00.pdf

Pages 21 and 68 of the PDF are the only ones which mention the OPT OUT, as far as I know, and they are rather basic.

edit to add: If I recall Chris did some experimentation regarding LAN in and analog zone outs, but I don't think he tested OPT OUT. I searched the thread but couldn't find his posts regarding his analysis.

post #7817 of 9639 Old 02-27-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

nope, i didn't... didn't have a need to...

good memory, that was a long time ago...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #7818 of 9639 Old 02-27-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #7819 of 9639 Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 PM

Liked: 10
Can anyone help suggest a way of hooking up a server/NAS to my av7005, so I can stream hi-res files?

So far, I've gotten addicted to playing lossless files through an Apple TV, or, on the rare occasion it works, Airplay. I have a Mac Mini in another room with a Time Capsule, connected with a wired LAN. The 7005 only appears as an option in the Airplay box if I unplug it for a while. Besides, both Apple TV and Airplay down-res to 44/1 or 48kHz.

I tried plugging in a WD My Book external HD, but most of the files would not play. There was an error message on the 7005 about the format. But there was no consistency. It seems that usb drives usually work.

Os there a particular hard drive that you guys are using that works? IS there a way to connect the LAN to the Mini directly? When I do that, it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.
post #7820 of 9639 Old 02-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Is the HDMI passthrough function universal across all HDMI outputs or can you have HDMI 1 set to passthrough and HDMI 2 set to upconvert/scale etc? I want the 7005 to passthrough BD from my Oppo 93 but upconvert my Sat box or lets say, another component in my system.

Thanks

Paul
post #7821 of 9639 Old 02-29-2012, 10:45 AM
DHF

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifichip76 View Post

Can anyone help suggest a way of hooking up a server/NAS to my av7005, so I can stream hi-res files?

So far, I've gotten addicted to playing lossless files through an Apple TV, or, on the rare occasion it works, Airplay. I have a Mac Mini in another room with a Time Capsule, connected with a wired LAN. The 7005 only appears as an option in the Airplay box if I unplug it for a while. Besides, both Apple TV and Airplay down-res to 44/1 or 48kHz.

I tried plugging in a WD My Book external HD, but most of the files would not play. There was an error message on the 7005 about the format. But there was no consistency. It seems that usb drives usually work.

Os there a particular hard drive that you guys are using that works? IS there a way to connect the LAN to the Mini directly? When I do that, it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.

I have had no problems with my setup - except that the Marantz will not decode 5.1 channel Flac files.

I am using a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ and can stream Flac up to 96 khz 2 channel. On my HTPC I can stream up to 192 kHz (PCM out) to the Marantz. On my HTPC I can also play 5.1 96 kHz files. These are all FLAC files. If you are some kind of Apple format - that may be the issue.
post #7822 of 9639 Old 02-29-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Is the HDMI passthrough function universal across all HDMI outputs or can you have HDMI 1 set to passthrough and HDMI 2 set to upconvert/scale etc? I want the 7005 to passthrough BD from my Oppo 93 but upconvert my Sat box or lets say, another component in my system.

Thanks

Paul

The settings should be independent per input. I haven't tried this on my AV7005, but I have my SR6005 configured for passthrough with 1 source, the rest are upconverted. I'd only expect the AV7005 can do the same if the SR6005 can do it.

post #7823 of 9639 Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

are you talking about "hdmi passthrough", or are you talking about "passing through video without it being processed"? two different things...

if you are talking about the latter, then it is by input...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #7824 of 9639 Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

^^Hi Chris, I am talking about passing through video without it being processed in any way ie, NO scaling or manipulation of the signal. I want to be able to send source direct from my Oppo 93 to my Kuro via the 7005 and I don't want the 7005 to touch that signal (I know there is always some slight signal manipulation going on with HDMI) but you get what I mean.
On another HDMI input in the 7005 I want to take advantage of the ABT chip.
According to red_5ive in the post above yours, you should be able to do this on the 7005. Correct?

Thanks

Paul

Paul
post #7825 of 9639 Old 02-29-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yup... video processing is per input, not global...

- chris

post #7826 of 9639 Old 02-29-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

are you talking about "hdmi passthrough", or are you talking about "passing through video without it being processed"? two different things...

if you are talking about the latter, then it is by input...

I think he's talking about video processing since he mentioned upconversion.

EDIT: Err... nevermind. I refreshed my browser a while back and meant to respond earlier (got sidetracked). I didn't refresh it again before responding just now, so I also just now saw the other responses. My bad.

post #7827 of 9639 Old 02-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Hey red-5ive, help me out on this one.....I was reading the manual and on pg 44 I came across the "Selecting a listening mode" section, but I did not find the answer to what I was looking for.
When listening to a 2 ch stereo source, whether TV or BD can you program individual listening modes per source. For example, if I am watching TV, I like to have all 2 ch sources processed as Dolby Pro logic II and DD 5.1 as DD 5.1. Right now, my AVR has been set up so I do not have to press any buttons in order for this to occur. Is this true for the 7005? From reading the manual, it seems that you have to press the Surr button in order to choose your preferred listening mode. I am probably wrong and just misreading the manual, but I would like confirmation on this.

Thanks

Paul
post #7828 of 9639 Old 02-29-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Hey red-5ive, help me out on this one.....I was reading the manual and on pg 44 I came across the "Selecting a listening mode" section, but I did not find the answer to what I was looking for.
When listening to a 2 ch stereo source, whether TV or BD can you program individual listening modes per source. For example, if I am watching TV, I like to have all 2 ch sources processed as Dolby Pro logic II and DD 5.1 as DD 5.1. Right now, my AVR has been set up so I do not have to press any buttons in order for this to occur. Is this true for the 7005? From reading the manual, it seems that you have to press the Surr button in order to choose your preferred listening mode. I am probably wrong and just misreading the manual, but I would like confirmation on this.

Thanks

Paul

To my knowledge it isn't possible on the AV7005. I'm not sure if it's a functional limitation or what. As such, I also use the Surround button, but I do wish the surround processing modes were configureable.

I love the AV7005 for music, but because I also now have a separate 2-channel setup I'm starting to think this unit is getting a little long in the tooth with some non-existant features that weren't important to me when I bought the unit. In which case, I'll be picking up a possible replacement unit tonight.

post #7829 of 9639 Old 03-01-2012, 01:34 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Thanks

Paul

Yes, you can do this as well with the 7005.

post #7830 of 9639 Old 03-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Ok , I am getting two conflicting posts here, who is right, jdsmoothie or red_5ive?
Again, I want to be able to configure the listening modes per input.

I should be able to go into a menu and set this up, although according to the manual (pg44), I don't see it . I know you can acess the SURR button in case you want to change a source signal to another listening mode BUT I do not want to use that everytime the source signal changes on a program.

This feature is especially useful when watching TV. Some stations still broadcast commercials and some movies in 2 CH. I want the 7005 to detect any 2ch source on any given input (TV, BD, SAT ect) and apply the listening mode I choose, without me having to press the SURR button.

Thanks

Paul
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page