Marantz AV7005 - Page 266 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7951 of 9658 Old 03-24-2012, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok thanks, on the other one I never had it over -34.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7952 of 9658 Old 03-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

Lately, my AV7005 is prone to locking up at power-on. It powers up and sits there silent, almost completely unresponsive. The only control which responds is the Input changer. No other button or dial does anything. I have to power cycle it by pulling the plug to get it working again.

I think I've narrowed down when this happens; if the last thing I was doing before power off was playing music via AirPlay, subsequent power-on fails. If I was doing something else at power-off, all is well. (Obviously, this suggests a workaround, but I'd prefer a fix.)

I have the latest firmware and I have tried the CPU reset procedure several times with no success.

Have any of you experienced this? And found a fix? Other suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Wadsworth View Post

I have. Exact same thing happened. The only thing you can do is unplug the Marantz from power and plug back in after a bit. Since the most recent update however, I haven't had this happen again. Although I have cut back on my use of Airplay. I was using it to play stuff from youtube from my iPhone.

Darren

Thank you for replying. Misery loves company.

There is one thing I haven't tried yet: a CPU reset without saving and restoring all the user settings. I haven't done it because it will be a pain to restore everything manually, but I will probably resort to this fairly soon. Did you try that, Darren?
post #7953 of 9658 Old 03-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Liked: 52
Anyone ever come up with a fix/workaround for the volume ramp up issue? Via IR that is. Didn't have the issue with the previous AV8003, but it's a handful with the AV7005. Have to be too careful and too conscious of it when changing the volume. Thanks, Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7954 of 9658 Old 03-25-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

nope, not really... it's a pervasive "feature" throughout the d&m product lines....

mz and i came up with a "small workaround", by adjusting channel levels... he will pop in with the link to it sooner or later... the basic idea is that it moves "faster" or "slower" dependent on where on the volume scale you are... but that's definitely a kludge...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7955 of 9658 Old 03-25-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 145
^Yes. [edit to add: I am responding to GetGray]

Chris and I discussed this and through my slow motion video analysis discovered that the annoyingly fast volume changing speed only occurs at levels lower than -8 or -10. So if you can keep your use higher than this, the volume ramping speed is nice and smooth/slow.

Ah, but what if such volumes are higher than you actually like using? The answer is to calibrate through the auto mic/Audyssey setup and then uniformly reduce the gain of all of the channels (including sub) of your power amps, or, conversely, decrease the efficiency of all of the speakers (including sub), until use of the product in the range it works most smoothly at is also acceptable in terms of SPL to the ear.

This should be a snap for people with power amps that have gain controls (volume), ideally with visible, calibrated divisions (you know, like "11" ) but people without would need outboard potentiometers and possibly an SPL meter to ensure consistency between channels (if they are separate and all channels are not "ganged together" on one master knob).

One could possibly re-purpose an old AVR with a multichannel in and preouts to serve this function. It, effectively, becomes the "multi channel outboard potentiometer".

Note: Use of "dynamic volume" and "dynamic EQ" may not function as expected if recalibrating as I've just discussed. [I don't use either.]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #7956 of 9658 Old 03-25-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

lol... and as if i could summon him through the ether, there's how to do it...

howdy mz...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #7957 of 9658 Old 03-25-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Chris.

My post was written before I saw yours.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #7958 of 9658 Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yup, i figured... i was just amused that i mentioned that you'd show up with a link on how to do it, and BOOM, there it was...

- chris

post #7959 of 9658 Old 03-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Thanks guys. Guess I'll wire up RS232 then, I don't care for the IR workaround. Have to dig out the delay someone used on the MSC400. Unless one of you remember.

What about ramping issues via IP? Anyone tried that (e.g. via iRule)?

post #7960 of 9658 Old 03-25-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never tried RS-232 control, however I'd be surprised if that is immune to the annoyingly fast ramping speed at levels below -10 dB.

I guess if it allows one to type in the numerical value one wants for volume directly, that could be seen as a "workaround", however I think I'd find that even more annoying, personally. YMMV.

edit to add: I just reconnected my ethernet cord to control the AV7005 from my computer [which I don't normally leave connected because it crashes my router now and then] and discovered there is no ramping volume at all. All you have is the tap, tap, tap method [.5dB per tap] or clicking on a bar graph where you want the volume to be.]

post #7961 of 9658 Old 03-25-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yup, you can bring it under control with rs-232, since you can control the ramp rate of the command being issued... that is what i do with my msc-400... correction: did, but it works the same way on my a100...

when you set up the command, edit it, and you can change the ramp rate... also change the repeat to 1... drop me a pm if you get stuck with it, i can send you a copy of my ccp file...

- chris

post #7962 of 9658 Old 03-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Thanks Chris. I think I know how to do it in CCP. Do you remember the ramp delay you used on the MSC?

post #7963 of 9658 Old 03-25-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yea...

i used 30 for ramp start and 40 for ramp speed... minimum repeat of 1 and repeat when button pressed check box on...

that might be a bit slow for some, but works for me... keeps my cat from adjusting it too much when he steps on the remote...

- chris

post #7964 of 9658 Old 03-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Thank you.

post #7965 of 9658 Old 03-25-2012, 04:44 PM

Liked: 11
I just got in the CLub, Picked up a OPen Box buy at Magnolia, I was using a SR 6005 so set up was quick and EZ.. I currently have a HK 5 channel..I need a new 7 channel Amp now..I Miss my SBRears!! Can you all recommend me an Amp.. is the MM 8003 any Good any one here use this.?? I found one and was thinking bout getting it.. I Use all in Walls B &W CWM 7.3, & 7.4's Whats AMps Are you Using..
post #7966 of 9658 Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 AM

I will be getting my AV7005 on Thursday and setting it up on Saturday. My Anthem AVM-30 bit the dust this past Saturday and that gave me the push I needed to get a more modern pre/pro.

I have always been a fan of Marantz and the price I got it for was too good to pass up.

I have been reading through a lot of this thread the last couple of days and it seems the best way to hook up my Oppo BDP-83 is with HDMI, setting Blu-Ray output to bitstream and SACD / DVD-Audio output to PCM. Is this correct?

There is no need to use the 7.1 analogs anymore is there as the Marantz will be doing all the processing?

I am also looking forward to what Audyssey can do for my room. It is not the best room conducive for sound as I have a big bay window, the front door, stairs and opening to another room and a opening to my kitchen. I always did everything manually and it sounded good to me, so I am excited to try Audyssey.
post #7967 of 9658 Old 03-27-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^Correct, absolutely use HDMI from Oppo 83 to 7005, not analog. Send everything via HDMI and yes bitstream BluRay. I preferred sending everything possible from Oppo 83 via bitstream including DSD off SACD (but I am a Denon processor guy so cannot comment on the 7005 irt music bitstr/PCM settings). IME it makes only a small difference to some peoples' ears (like mine) anyway; Oppo says if your processor can decode DSD try sending it, as you may well like the SQ better.

Before running Autosetup, it is helpful to read the Audyssey setup guide and the brand new very informative Audyssey FAQ.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #7968 of 9658 Old 03-28-2012, 10:05 AM

^^ Thanks sound of mind and I will definitely check out the Audyssey links you sent
post #7969 of 9658 Old 03-28-2012, 05:05 PM
DHF

Liked: 18
No sound coming from L/R speaker.
I ran into this problem a couple months back. Tried everything I could think of. Re booted, checked wiring, etc etc. I was ready to call my dealer and frantically beg for a replacement unit. The reason it took me months to report this is because it was just a stupid user problem. If you inadvertently hit the Speaker AB button on the front of the unit, or if you inadvertently hit the same button on the remote, your front L/R speakers will make no sound at all.
I was talking to my dealer, explaining this, and I apparently just "fixed" a couple of other 7005 units. So I am not the only one, somehow that makes me feel better.
post #7970 of 9658 Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 PM

got my AV7005 yesterday night,
downloaded the new firmware including airplay.

noticed those things : a small hum from my Rotel 1095 (didnt have that with the Denon 3312).
(using XLR with the Marantz, and just RCA with the Denon).
and today i can hear some random noises from the Sub (when it's connected to the av7005), and it happens when it's not playing anything and i crank the volume up...

but the really annoying thing , this morning . i'm playing a song via airplay.
i notice the remote doesnt have any effect. so i go to the unit , nothing ...it's frozen. Still playing but it wont respond to anything even the ON/OFF.
i had to unplug and plug back.

Is this the "glitchy" behavior i heard about ? or my unit is just bad ?

thanks Dan

BP - Sony BDP-S5100 PreAmp - Marantz AV7005 PowerAmp - Rotel RMB - 1095
Main - Dynaudio Focus 220 MKII Center - Dynaudio 200c Sub - Paradigm DSP-3200 Rear Mission SC-5MK
post #7971 of 9658 Old 03-28-2012, 09:19 PM

Liked: 11
well from what i got so far make sure you hit the Amp button on the Remote and that should control it, Maybe you got some bad cables, try hookin it up with the Rca's.. Im using Rca and my unit is dead Quiet!!
post #7972 of 9658 Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 PM

yeah will try RCA (kind of defeating the purpose) but yeah .
yeah i know about the AMP button , but it was dead frozen . no control from the unit itself....

Main - Dynaudio Focus 220 MKII Center - Dynaudio 200c Sub - Paradigm DSP-3200 Rear Mission SC-5MK
post #7973 of 9658 Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_isr View Post

got my AV7005 yesterday night,
downloaded the new firmware including airplay.

but the really annoying thing , this morning . i'm playing a song via airplay.
i notice the remote doesnt have any effect. so i go to the unit , nothing ...it's frozen. Still playing but it wont respond to anything even the ON/OFF.
i had to unplug and plug back.

Is this the "glitchy" behavior i heard about ? or my unit is just bad ?

thanks Dan

Yes, similar problem, look for my post from a few days ago. (on my iPad now, difficult to make a link to the post.) My hypothesis was that if the last activity before power-off was playing AirPlay, the next power-on would lock up. I haven't yet found a fix.
post #7974 of 9658 Old 03-29-2012, 04:35 AM

I had the same problem back in September and posted here for help, which resulted in a quick resolution. I'm starting to feel slightly less embarrassed knowing how many folks have run into this issue inadvertently.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHF View Post

No sound coming from L/R speaker.
I ran into this problem a couple months back. Tried everything I could think of. Re booted, checked wiring, etc etc. I was ready to call my dealer and frantically beg for a replacement unit. The reason it took me months to report this is because it was just a stupid user problem. If you inadvertently hit the Speaker AB button on the front of the unit, or if you inadvertently hit the same button on the remote, your front L/R speakers will make no sound at all.
I was talking to my dealer, explaining this, and I apparently just "fixed" a couple of other 7005 units. So I am not the only one, somehow that makes me feel better.

post #7975 of 9658 Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

Yes, similar problem, look for my post from a few days ago. (on my iPad now, difficult to make a link to the post.) My hypothesis was that if the last activity before power-off was playing AirPlay, the next power-on would lock up. I haven't yet found a fix.

I would expect a more "polished" stable unit at this tag price , not to mention ...how much time it's been around ? They had endless time to fix firmware issues by updates ...unless again
Me and you are dealing with faulty units or it's a once in a life time glitch ....I will report here if it happens again .
But I did notice yesterday some noise from the sub (when no music) , and clicks when I turn on volume while it played CD (a click per volume level - and no clicks when it didn't play ...very weird) .again I just get the impression it's not performing
Smoothly/polished as its price tag.
SQ wise I have no compliance , sounds great.
Not sure if any better then the 3312 I had here
It's hard to remember , but I would say it sounds at least as good .

Menus/GUI is one generation backwards
But as long all the functionality is there , then it's ok.
Remote is nicer too on the Marantz (with back light ,LCD and other nice features(.
And yeah it's much nicer to look at

post #7976 of 9658 Old 03-29-2012, 11:43 AM

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with AirPlay. Too glitchy for me. I'm glad it was a free upgrade. Did anyone ever find a solution to the high volume issue when starting AirPlay?
I backed up my iTunes library on a hard drive and connected it to our router, and was pleasantly suprised at how the 7005 easily connects, finds, and plays the music, displays info, pictures, etc. from the drive, so I won't lose any sleep over the AirPlay thing. The idea was to lose the two CD carousels I was using. Looks like I can stick with the plan.
Yeah, SQ is a fantastic step up from where I was before. Audyssey is a great program, and a lot of fun to play with.
Set up was easy. I have a gigantic pile of analog cables that I don't need now.
Overall, I'm happy. BTW, kudos to OneCall. Great service, great price.
post #7977 of 9658 Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynarider View Post

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with AirPlay. Too glitchy for me. I'm glad it was a free upgrade. Did anyone ever find a solution to the high volume issue when starting AirPlay?

I would hope Apple (along with Denon, etc.,...) would streamline function of AirPlay app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynarider View Post

I backed up my iTunes library on a hard drive and connected it to our router, and was pleasantly suprised at how the 7005 easily connects, finds, and plays the music, displays info, pictures, etc. from the drive, so I won't lose any sleep over the AirPlay thing.

So you're using direct navigation from AV7005? That's how I'm planning to operate.

I have a WD MyBookLive with a 20GB WMA archive connected to my network, works beautiful
post #7978 of 9658 Old 03-29-2012, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quick questions:

which should I let scale to 1080p? 7005 or my projector (jvc dal-rs25)

dynamic volume? on or off

Thanks

Headless Petie
post #7979 of 9658 Old 03-29-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 191
jbn008

If you're using bluray disk, it won't (or shouldn't) matter as the scaler won't be active.

If however you're referring to standard definition content, then it may vary. You might want to try both and see if either one stands out as being better. In many cases, its too close to tell.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #7980 of 9658 Old 03-29-2012, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks, how about the dynamic volume? Does anyone use this feature?

Headless Petie
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread - Av7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page