Marantz AV7005 - Page 272 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8131 of 9639 Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Completely normal after room calibration.

For movies I generally listen at -5 to 0.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8132 of 9639 Old 05-22-2012, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pearcey9 I thought the same thing, with my sunfire I would have it at -38 to -36 and with this it was having to be run alot higher -20 to -18. One thing I didn't realize until checking on here was the Sunfire went to 0 and the Marantz goes to +18.
post #8133 of 9639 Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

from the spec's of this up-coming receiver looks as though the only new (significant) features/capabilities are 4K and HDMI Zone-2 output, am I correct?

I don't know if you are addressing me in particular but I know nothing beyond that link.

There also may be all sorts of caveats about "HDMI Zone-2" use we don't know about. To be truly fully functional would require two video boards, and they ain't cheap. The AV8003 has them, I think, but lots of other brands with dual HDMI outs have all sorts of fine print, ala:

-OSD for one zone only
-no video processing, scaling, etc if both zones are used
-2nd zone can be a different source than Zone 1, however not at the same time
-EDID signal from 2nd zone must be the same as zone 1 or all monitors get the lowest common denominator resolution OR DON'T WORK AT ALL, WE MAKE NO PROMISES.
-if zone 2 doesn't work, discontinue use.

Just sayin.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #8134 of 9639 Old 05-22-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
our "best guess" on the zone 2 hdmi is that it's essentially a matrix switch sitting in front of the processing... i'm glad i'm not gonna be doing tech support for it, that's for sure... people are gonna hose that up beyond belief...

otherwise, it would add a ton of expense to the avr, since as others have noted, anything more than that would require 2 completely discrete hdmi paths (very doubtful that is happening)...

assuming "we" are correct, the hdmi to zone two is really only useful for those with a dual setup (i.e. a pj and a smaller display), or zone 2 in an adjacent room, as none of the hdmi issues with long runs are going away... and if in another room, the user would need another avr anyway, as they still would need to accept the hdmi input....

iow, all those who want their hdmi sources to go via analog to zone 2 are still sol...

i, for one, would welcome the implementation as assumed, since i could then eliminate a collection of switches/splitters... assuming they don't completely screw it up, it would be the only reason why i would even consider selling my a100 and getting the 4520 (when/if it ever appears)... but unless you fit one of the two outlined scenarios, it ain't gonna do people much good...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #8135 of 9639 Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 AM

Pearcey9

With my old Anthem AVM30 I was consistently in the + numbers, but it started at -18 and went to +33 I believe.

With my AV7005 I don't think I've gotten into the positive numbers yet. I believe it starts at -74 and goes to +18.

So I don't personally think the numbers matter as there doesn't seem to be any standard for them, just what volumes you are comfortable listening too I think would be more important.

Though I am using two XPA-1's for my right and left fronts that output 1000 watts into my 4 ohm speakers.
post #8136 of 9639 Old 05-23-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

All Audyseey volume knobs, when playing movies and not using any "dynamic adjustments", should be about the same SPL once calibrated:

"Movies are mixed in rooms calibrated for film reference. To achieve the same reference level in a home theater system each speaker level must be adjusted so that –30 dBFS band-limited (500 Hz – 2000 Hz) pink noise produces 75 dB sound pressure level at the listening position. A home theater system automatically calibrated by Audyssey MultEQ will play at reference level when the master volume control is set to the 0 dB position. At that level you can hear the mix at the same level the mixers heard it.

0 dB (Film Ref): This is the default setting and should be used when listening to movies."

Source

Music is a different matter. That can be all over the map. [In the sense that some CDs are soft, others loud. They aren't as standardized, but when playing back on two calibrated pieces of gear, the same disc will play at the same level in the room.]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #8137 of 9639 Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 AM

Liked: 12
^^^
I'll show this to my wife but she will still tell me to turn it down...
post #8138 of 9639 Old 05-25-2012, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, If 0 is suppose to be reference after audyssey than when I have mine set to 0db it is definitely not sounding at reference level.

I previously had a pioneer, yamaha, and a denon and all those went upto +18db approx and I only had to have my receiver at -20db to get the same sound that I am having to turn to -8db on this marantz unit.

I know the number is just a number but at the same point -8db seems high compared to what I have heard others say.

I have seen other marantz units such as sr6006 and it was playing fine at -20db.

Could it just be this model that has to turn up higher, and I would love to hear what everyone plays their movies/cable/sat/music at with this unit.

Thanks!
post #8139 of 9639 Old 05-25-2012, 01:50 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
^^
If you said YES to Audyssey Dynamic Volume during the Audyssey setup process, it got set to "HEAVY" so disable it and see what that does for you.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8140 of 9639 Old 05-25-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

0 dB is almost always too loud for my tastes, but then again most movie theaters are too loud for me as well, so it is easy for me to accept that they are one and the same.

[I'm also convinced that theater level is designed for playing to a packed house, yet they assume the calibration using microphones and SPL meters will be done before theater goers get there, ie in an empty theater.

To sound waves people are sound deadening water balloons, and if you scatter a ton of water balloons across a major surface of a reflective room, like an auditorium, you have a large reduction in SPL. So if you calibrate and set your reference level while empty, at a level many like me will deem "too loud", it is not nearly as bad at night when the theater is packed full of , er, water balloons.]

post #8141 of 9639 Old 05-25-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearcey9 View Post

Can anyone tell me what volume you set it at when watching a blu ray. Most my movies I have to set it to atleast -10db to get decent sound and sometimes upto -5db which seems insane... i e-mailed my Marantz rep and he said that this receiver -10db was normal. I watched Captain America and had to turn it to -7db I hooked up a different receiver to my set and -20db gave me the same output that I got from my Marantz, I know you cant compare receivers but that seems like quite a difference... I have a MM7055 paired with my AV7005 and Totems for speakers.

I am not impressed with it and I dont feel comfortable playing my system at -5 for movies.

I also just recently started to notice my receiver or power amp making a tick noise when watching a movie every few minutes or so...

any input would be greatly appreciated.

If you dont calibrate the levels then -10 on this processor Vs-20 on what ever your swapping in means absolutly nothing.

At 0db on the volume control you should be getting a reference reading of 85db on an SPL meater. Check the THX reference level here

If your not using an SPL meter and doing a manual calibraitron then I assume your running Audysssey. This then being calibrated Vs an uncalibrated receiver will show differant levels for audibly the same output volume...

Until you set your speaker levels properly dont say your dissapointed with the product. And when you have two uncalibrated receivers the audible levels will be completly differant even when they are both displaying the same DB readout on the volume indicator.
post #8142 of 9639 Old 05-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the responses guys, If 0 is suppose to be reference after audyssey than when I have mine set to 0db it is definitely not sounding at reference level.

I previously had a pioneer, yamaha, and a denon and all those went upto +18db approx and I only had to have my receiver at -20db to get the same sound that I am having to turn to -8db on this marantz unit.

I know the number is just a number but at the same point -8db seems high compared to what I have heard others say.

I have seen other marantz units such as sr6006 and it was playing fine at -20db.

Could it just be this model that has to turn up higher, and I would love to hear what everyone plays their movies/cable/sat/music at with this unit.

Thanks!

I'm using the AV7005 with three KRK Rokit 10-3 powered midfield studio monitors at the front, two KRK Rokit 5 studio monitors at the rear and two Infinity ES250 as side surrounds (dipole mode). No subwoofer.
The powered studio monitors all have their cutoffs and levels at detente.

I have Audyssey set to FLAT, Dynamic EQ nearly always on, and it's doing a brilliant job of maintaining channel levels and EQs below Reference level.
(Dynamic Volume, on the other hand, is a different beast, and best avoided in my setup)

For most films, around -10dB is ideal.
0dB (supposedly reference level) is uncomfortably loud, although still bearable.
post #8143 of 9639 Old 05-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A couple of quick questions from a new user...

With Dynamic EQ, is a Reference Level Offset of 0 definitely the way to go for films, or is 5, 10 or 15 an option if you want to tame the dynamic range a little. I'm trying to figure out how the Offset works...

After Audyssey auto-setup, is it possible - or normal - for the surround channels to be automatically set too high? Running various test signals, mine are definitely a few db up on the fronts.

Does the AV7005 not have the facility to have multiple User Memory Recalls for channel level, modes, audyssey settings, EQs, etc etc ?
My previous Denon had 3 User Memory blocks, as do many brands nowadays.
I'm surprised a unit of this calibre wouldn't offer it.

Thanks in advance.
post #8144 of 9639 Old 05-26-2012, 10:58 AM

After you run Audyssey you can then go back and "tweek" the levels if you have an SLP meter. In training we have been told to run Audyssey 1st as it does effect eq and speaker distance. If you go back with an SLP meter you can then dial in the speaker levels manually and still have audyessy processing. I have seen many times with audyssey how it can dramatically change the front left and right levels to a point that they are either louder or lower then eachother and I just dont agree sometimes with these settings and still perfer to do a manual set up. Especcial since Im usaing an out board DSP processor and if I run Audyssey it basicly does away with any of my external DSP.

There are no user mamories for differant settings on the AV7005 becuase its more professional pre amp if you will. It is designed to be used in a higher end set up where it is calibrated to the room and speakers and the main sweet spot basicly. The denons with their user setings is more for say, the wife and kids likeing their sound a certain way and not necessarily the right way, if you know what I mean.
post #8145 of 9639 Old 05-26-2012, 12:49 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Haggis View Post

A couple of quick questions from a new user...

With Dynamic EQ, is a Reference Level Offset of 0 definitely the way to go for films, or is 5, 10 or 15 an option if you want to tame the dynamic range a little. I'm trying to figure out how the Offset works...

After Audyssey auto-setup, is it possible - or normal - for the surround channels to be automatically set too high? Running various test signals, mine are definitely a few db up on the fronts.

Does the AV7005 not have the facility to have multiple User Memory Recalls for channel level, modes, audyssey settings, EQs, etc etc ?
My previous Denon had 3 User Memory blocks, as do many brands nowadays.
I'm surprised a unit of this calibre wouldn't offer it.

Thanks in advance.

1. Dyn EQ boosts the bass/surround audio more as the master volume is further lowered below 0db. So as you increase the RLO from -5db to -15db, you decrease the amount of bass/surround boost that is applied. Although generally preferred for non film sources (eg. TV, music), you can certainly use this setting for film sources as well if you prefer.

2. It's certainly possible, but you can also just lower them to suit your preference. Also see #1 above.

3. No, although the Denon and Marantz AVRs are essentially clones of one another (ie. 7005 and 3311CI), there are some feature differences, of which the Quick Selects you are referring to are only offered on the Denon models.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8146 of 9639 Old 05-26-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic C View Post

There are no user mamories for differant settings on the AV7005 becuase its more professional pre amp if you will...

No wonder professionals are often so cranky. I wonder if pacifiers would help?

post #8147 of 9639 Old 05-26-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:

Can anyone tell me what volume you set it at when watching a blu ray. Most my movies I have to set it to atleast -10db to get decent sound and sometimes upto -5db which seems insane... i e-mailed my Marantz rep and he said that this receiver -10db was normal. I watched Captain America and had to turn it to -7db I hooked up a different receiver to my set and -20db gave me the same output that I got from my Marantz, I know you cant compare receivers but that seems like quite a difference... I have a MM7055 paired with my AV7005 and Totems for speakers.

I am not impressed with it and I dont feel comfortable playing my system at -5 for movies.

I also just recently started to notice my receiver or power amp making a tick noise when watching a movie every few minutes or so...

any input would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrornh View Post

Pearcey9

With my old Anthem AVM30 I was consistently in the + numbers, but it started at -18 and went to +33 I believe.

With my AV7005 I don't think I've gotten into the positive numbers yet. I believe it starts at -74 and goes to +18.

So I don't personally think the numbers matter as there doesn't seem to be any standard for them, just what volumes you are comfortable listening too I think would be more important.

Though I am using two XPA-1's for my right and left fronts that output 1000 watts into my 4 ohm speakers.

My system plays at the same level with the AV7005 or the AVM 20 when the systems are calibrated. If yours doesn't then something isn't right.

FWIW, my normal listening level is -12dB, give or take.

Wouldn't really matter if you had a 1,000,000 watt amp if the level was calibrated. Would still be the same volume at 0dB, and -10dB would still be -10dB below reference level.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #8148 of 9639 Old 05-26-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 326
After an Audyssey calibration, if the volume knob levels on your device are measured in db (as is the standard for Marantz and Denon equipment), then 0 db represents reference level. Reference level can be deafening. Literally.

I usually listen to BD movies at -25, occasionally -20, and pop CDs at -35. Much more than that is almost painful.

Selden
post #8149 of 9639 Old 05-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Hey guys.....

Having trouble downloading the AirPlay as it is stuck on one of the last steps. Seems to repeat this step over and over again.....retrying.

Sought some help in the "official" 7005 thread and was suggested to stop this download was to unplug and re-plug......same issue. To reset the microprocesser.....still downloading.

Does anyone know how to shut this download down? This have been happening for 24 hours now. It shuts down everything, so can't watch movie or listen to music.
post #8150 of 9639 Old 05-26-2012, 06:57 PM

Selden ball do u have an av7005, if so than my receive has a serious problem because I can't even hear the words barely at -25db for movies...
post #8151 of 9639 Old 05-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Selden ball do u have an av7005, if so than my receive has a serious problem because I can't even hear the words barely at -25db for movies...

After Audyssey, I had the same problem dialog was faint, so went back to default settings and somewhat better. Will play with audyssey later when is updating AirPlay is fixed.
post #8152 of 9639 Old 05-26-2012, 07:08 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

What are the speaker and sub trim settings after running Audyssey? Did you disable Dyn Vol?

post #8153 of 9639 Old 05-26-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

You folks with trouble hearing dialogue should invest in room treatments. It's a small investment with a huge return. Running your center channel hot may help but I guarantee your equipment is not the problem.
post #8154 of 9639 Old 05-26-2012, 11:57 PM

Hello, when playing a Blu Ray disc with DTS-HD Master Audio (the only audio option on this blu ray disc) the display on my AV7005 says PCM-DIG. Why does it not show up on the display as DTS HD Master Audio?. I only use front left and front right speakers. any advise would be great.
post #8155 of 9639 Old 05-27-2012, 12:59 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Because you have the Blu Ray player set to PCM which is decoding the audio to PCM. Reset your player to "bitstream" with Secondary Audio set to OFF if you want the AVR to do the decoding, although the audio quality will be the same either way.

post #8156 of 9639 Old 05-27-2012, 04:13 AM

My speakers are set around 0db and +1db. Both eq and dynamic volume are off and I hav tried doing everything to the receiver to fix it. I've played with the different features and I've factory reset it and ran audyessy.

I'm not sure if it has to do with the decoding of the audio as I put in the hulk and it sounded fine at -20db but than I goto any other movie in my large inventory and I have to always set it to -10 or louder.
post #8157 of 9639 Old 05-27-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:

Actually, I have an AV8003 + MM9000 (5ch, 150w/ch) amp. Both get only somewhat warm to the touch (the preamp is warmer than the amp, actually), so the amp certainly is not putting out a lot of power. Still, the point of calibrating is to standardize the sound levels. A volume level of 0db is supposed to be "reference level" (75db sound pressure level, with peak volumes 30db higher: 105db spl) -- which is *very* loud. (Audyssey's web site has a discussion of this.) I'd suggest rerunning Audyssey, especially if you've made any changes in your room since the last time you did it -- moving furniture, adding rugs, etc.

Not being able to hear the dialog well suggests an issue with the center channel. Make sure the speaker is pointed toward your ear level when you're seated at the listening position before (and after!) calibrating. e.g. if it's below the display, tilt it up. Also, it should not be sitting on the floor or, if at all possible, inside a cabinet. While Audyssey can help compensate for the reflections and resonances those cause, it can't fix them entirely. Being my usual pessimistic self, I suggest you check to make sure all of the speaker drivers in the center speaker are actually working. One might have failed.

Edited to add: In general, Dyn EQ should be on. It compensates for how poor everyone's low frequency hearing is at low sound levels: it turns up the bass when you have the volume turned down and turns it down when the volume is turned up.

I hope these suggestions help a little.

Selden
post #8158 of 9639 Old 05-27-2012, 11:42 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

A volume level of 0db is supposed to be "reference level" (75db sound pressure level, with peak volumes 30db higher: 105db spl) -- which is *very* loud. (Audyssey's web site has a discussion of this.)

Often confused due to the 75db test tones, but note that "reference" volume is 85db with peaks 20db higher (30db higher for sub). The test tones are 75db as 85db would be too loud in a home environment.

post #8159 of 9639 Old 05-27-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

No wonder professionals are often so cranky. I wonder if pacifiers would help?

O CRAP my bad spelling got me in trouble on that one LOL

I was like why does he think professionals are cranky....yea I would be with the statement I posted.....LOL one of these days Ill learn to spell check lol....

Otherwise Im definetly not cranky with the AV7005 I friggen love this thing.
post #8160 of 9639 Old 05-27-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:

I have use and love my AV7005...
Pearecey the 1st thig I thought of was was either the surround mode isnt right or possibly not decodeing properly for what ever reason. Keeping in mind when I watch satellite or blueray I can go to -8db and I get a good loud but not ripping my head off level.

Or the speaker settings are possibly not correct as in does your set up show a center channel?.... Ok, if it does then check the connection from the center output on the preamp to the power amp. I say this becuause if you set up the speakers and tell it there is no center then that info would usually send the center channel signal to the main L and R channels. So in that case you would still hear dialog. SO if you cant really hear dialog then there is definetly something wacked in the setup or posssibly as simple as the connection from the preamp to the amp or from the amp to the speaker...At the very worst the speaker itself is / has the problem...

Again though if you run test tones and everything then rings out and is measuing right then it may just be the source material...Its hard to tell not being in fornt of your system and hearing it for my self.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page