Marantz AV7005 - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 9656 Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm happy to hear everyone is enjoying their preamps. I've been loving my Marantz 8001 since I got it a few years ago. I can't wait to hear an improvement tomorrow when I get my Av7005 in the mail!

Joe.T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 9656 Old 11-01-2010, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK20 View Post

What am I missing???

Set mine up yesterday with Monoprice XLR's for FR, C, FL, feeding a Cinepro 3k6SE Gold amp (3 speakers are biamped). Using the AV7005 RCA outs for SL, SR, SBR, SBL, FHR and FHL into an older a\\d\\s ph6 6 channel amp and everything works great!

Audyssey was run, nothing out of phase and sounds great. I didn't check Cinepro's pin pattern but it works WITH the RCA outs being used with XLR outs and no XLR pin rewiring!

Maybe I'm lucky!

The XLRs will work just fine regardless of amp without any need to rewire plugs or buying anything, despite the Marantz customer support staff's claims. The only concern is there is a possibility, depending on the combo (amps) you use, that the speakers getting the XLR feeds will be out of phase from the RCA fed channels. Assuming Audyssey is doing its job correctly and isn't reporting any problems, you should be safe, but I describe a way to test this yourself with no additional equipment but your ears in my earlier post. Without having to do any re-wiring, soldering, or purchasing XLR phase reversing adapters, one could self remedy the situation by hooking up the speakers known to be out of phase , if any, by simply switching their + and - (red and black) connections at one end of the speaker wires run to them. Free. No device mods. Fast. Done.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #813 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean View Post

I'm happy to hear everyone is enjoying their preamps. I've been loving my Marantz 8001 since I got it a few years ago. I can't wait to hear an improvement tomorrow when I get my Av7005 in the mail!

Hi guys, I'm new here. I'm so excited to know the new owners of AV7005 have gained major improvements in both AV and stereo. I'll be getting mine (both AV7005 and MM7055) next week and it will replace my SR7001. I really hope it will bring significant improvements to my HT setup. I will only use RCA though and not XLRs since both the pre and power will be very near each other.

Joe, I cant wait to get your feebdback on your new AV7005 since you are replacing your SR8001. Do keep us update!
post #814 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:

What am I missing???

Set mine up yesterday with Monoprice XLR's for FR, C, FL, feeding a Cinepro 3k6SE Gold amp (3 speakers are biamped). Using the AV7005 RCA outs for SL, SR, SBR, SBL, FHR and FHL into an older a\\d\\s ph6 6 channel amp and everything works great!

Audyssey was run, nothing out of phase and sounds great. I didn't check Cinepro's pin pattern but it works WITH the RCA outs being used with XLR outs and no XLR pin rewiring!

Maybe I'm lucky!

Please refer to my previous post. There is nothing wrong with Marantz's implementation of the XLR connections. It was my error that led to the re-wiring of my cables. I have since put them back, and everything is fine. I'm sorry I opened this can of worms. Please consider it closed again.
post #815 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 AM
AEC

I have a couple of questions to the AV7005 owners. I have a B&K AVR507. I have wanted to upgrade for a year or more, and B&K is now defunct (though possibly purchased). I listen to a fair amount of 2 channel music, using the "Direct" mode. My B&K still engages my sub in this mode. I know the 8003 shuts everything else down, including the sub. How is this handled in the 7005? Secondly, my B&K is 7 channel and is listed at 140 wpc. Is there a downside to me using its' amp section to power the 7005 and save some money by not purchasing a separate amp? The cheapest thing out there (best bang for the buck) seems to be the Emotiva UPA 7 (not sure of its' exact designation). I would appreciate some input.
post #816 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

What am I missing???

Maybe I'm lucky!

You ain't missing anything. The only difference between the two XLR wiring standards is an inversion of absolute polarity. If the wiring polarity is the same on all channels, it does not matter which way it goes.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #817 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

What did you do with the 8001?

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #818 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post

I listen to a fair amount of 2 channel music, using the "Direct" mode. My B&K still engages my sub in this mode. I know the 8003 shuts everything else down, including the sub. How is this handled in the 7005?

When you switch Bass Management to LFE+Main, Subwoofer is also running with 2 channel sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post

Secondly, my B&K is 7 channel and is listed at 140 wpc. Is there a downside to me using its' amp section to power the 7005 and save some money by not purchasing a separate amp? The cheapest thing out there (best bang for the buck) seems to be the Emotiva UPA 7 (not sure of its' exact designation). I would appreciate some input.

The problem would be to feed the poweramp section of the B&K. It has no pure amp input, but only a 7.1 input which is then processed as far as i know. So you would have 2 preamplifiers in a row incl. two volume controlls. That would not make any sense. Only way would be open up the unit and find the internal connections between the B&K preamp and poweramp section. Cut the connection and solder some RCA sockets to it.

So my advise would be to get a XPA2 for the front and XPA5 for center and surround.

HD-EP35 & PS3 & (soon to be) Regionfree Oppo BD-93. 148 : 481
post #819 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Marantz 7*** series receivers are not sonically superior to the 8*** series, maybe more features.

To get the 8*** sound quality now will require the 8*** series separates not the 7*** series ones.

Sorry
post #820 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 07:36 AM
AEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenous View Post

So my advise would be to get a XPA2 for the front and XPA5 for center and surround.

Ravenous: Thanks for the reply and the input. The XPA amps are pretty high powered and perhaps more than I need. My fronts can only handle up to 180 watts (System Audio 1750) and my rears (SA505) and sides (SA705) can only handle about 90/100 watts each. The UPA 7 is rated at 125 wpc and in a dedicated amp I am probably getting cleaner sound than from my B&K, hopefully.
post #821 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GqMagic View Post

Marantz 7*** series receivers are not sonically superior to the 8*** series, maybe more features.

To get the 8*** sound quality now will require the 8*** series separates not the 7*** series ones.

Sorry

And you know this how?
post #822 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry

Is the model number the sole determinant in defining sound quality? I previously had thought MSRP and year of production determined sound quality. Oh, and also don't forget overall weight and the inclusion of beefy, gold plated connections....Silly me.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #823 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 09:07 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Are there any stores that will allow me to buy the unit, demo it at home and if I don't like it, return it? I am fully planning on keeping the unit but I would like to compare it to my AV8003 and MC-8 units at home...
post #824 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

^Call and ask.

http://us.marantz.com/marantz-dealer-locator.asp

post #825 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 292
This might be useful info

The DAC being used in the AV7005 and SR7005 is the AKM AK4358
post #826 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 09:35 AM

For those of you who already have the unit, could you let me know how hot it gets and how much ventilation you have above the unit. I plan to have mine on the shelf below my PS3 and dvd player (and above my Halo amps).

Thanks
post #827 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Sorry

I'd like to know more on how you came to this conclusion as well?
post #828 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 AM

We are on that list
post #829 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Sorry

Is this fact or opinion? If fact please explain what makes it a fact.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #830 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Are there any stores that will allow me to buy the unit, demo it at home and if I don't like it, return it? I am fully planning on keeping the unit but I would like to compare it to my AV8003 and MC-8 units at home...

Outlaw is providing their 30-day in-home trial with this unit.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #831 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon SS View Post

For those of you who already have the unit, could you let me know how hot it gets and how much ventilation you have above the unit. I plan to have mine on the shelf below my PS3 and dvd player (and above my Halo amps).

Thanks

I have about a 3" gap above mine to the next glass shelf and after a night of full on blu-ray fun it was extremely cool, no real heat at all (unlike the Onkyo it has replaced....)

I'll grab a photo in a bit.
post #832 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha10 View Post

I have about a 3" gap above mine to the next glass shelf and after a night of full on blu-ray fun it was extremely cool, no real heat at all (unlike the Onkyo it has replaced....)

I have about a 4 inch gap on the top of mine and I used it all night last night as well and I was shocked that the AV7005 was not hot at all.
post #833 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Here you go:

post #834 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Preamps don't generally get very hot, especially when they are mounted in giant, over-sized receiver cases. Amps, now they get hot. (The Audyssey chip does run hot according to some, though.) The whole device only consumes something like 60 watts or so, IIRC. Amps are often ten times that.

post #835 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Here you go:

Is that the MM8003 amp in the picture? If so, I have the exact same combo coming tomorrow. I can't wait to unpack the new toys
post #836 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 11:47 AM

Thanks! Very nice equipment! The AV7005 should be out soon in Canada - can't wait!
post #837 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Preamps don't generally get very hot, especially when they are mounted in giant, over-sized receiver cases. Amps, now they get hot. (The Audyssey chip does run hot according to some, though.) The whole device only consumes something like 60 watts or so, IIRC. Amps are often ten times that.

My AV8003 used to get hotter than Hell.

[/pointless exaggeration]

Not really. But it did get nice and toasty. I was always surprised, and will be glad if the 7005 runs cooler.
post #838 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Sorry

Here are some things that complicate your argument:

1.the passage of time and better technology. Better design, being able to do more with less.

2.paying more for things that cost more but arguably don't add to SQ. For example my AV8003 had a copper plated chassis, THX certification, balanced input and a fancy learning remote. Did they add to SQ? They certainly added to the cost.

3.Marantz have never made any guarantee about the equivalency of their model number from one generation to the next. All you can be sure of is that an SR6005 sounds better than an SR5005 but worse than an SR7005. That's the only realistic use for the numbering scheme IMO - not against previous generations.

4.yes I have an AV7005 on order and therefore I am biased, thanks for noticing
post #839 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Is that the MM8003 amp in the picture? If so, I have the exact same combo coming tomorrow. I can't wait to unpack the new toys

Sorry I should have said, yes top to bottom an Oppo 83SE, MM8003, AV7005

Really going together well and driving my PMC speakers very well
post #840 of 9656 Old 11-02-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

does the 7005 have XLR out for the heights? Actually , does this pre/pro offer heights channels out?

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread - Av7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page