Marantz AV7005 - Page 320 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9571 of 9656 Old 01-02-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I thought I'd add this for anyone else that's been frustrated by the IR window of the 7705. For me, this has been the biggest negative about the processor. Unless I was pointing my remote directly at the front of the 7705, most commands went unrecognized. In contrast, I can control all my other devices just by pointing them toward the front of the room, or even at the ceiling. I tried the frosted tape trick, but it didn't help. I also looked at different IR repeater options, but they all added another power source, and were overkill for what I wanted to do.

This fall, I found a cheap, but effective option. It's a USB powered IR receiver/emitter gadget. Unlike other solutions, this one can run off of a standard USB port (I use one on my HTPC) Best of all, it was only $12.

Here's a link to the one I bought on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMTRR5K/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A web search will turn up other versions and options. I'm not affiliated with the manufacturer in any way, but just wanted to pass on a solution that worked great for me.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9572 of 9656 Old 01-03-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Dave,

I suspect you have accidentally invoked "speakers B" even though your connections are to "speakers A" on the back. There's a SPKR A/B button under the front panel to fix this.

Thanks for solving my issue 2 years later at 11pm wink.gif Will sleep a lot better tonight!
post #9573 of 9656 Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142

^No problem, glad to be of help.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #9574 of 9656 Old 01-04-2014, 03:40 PM

Liked: 10
Any advice for resolving dropped network connection (I think) issues with the AV7005?

Problem surfaced as I tried to enable a wifi remote. Connect/disconnect ... connect / disconnect.

I can ping the AV7005 sometimes. When I get a ping I can usually send multiple pings. Maybe 20 or so. then I'll get host unvailable for 50 or so. then it usually reconnects and repeats.

I've reserved an IP address via MAC address and I'm going straight from the router to into the AV7005. None of my other components are having this problem.

For what it's worth it's been about 2 years since I've done a firmware upgrade and this is the first time I'm trying to do anything network related in a very long time.....

Any thoughts?
post #9575 of 9656 Old 01-04-2014, 05:45 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1414
Have you tried resetting the router?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9576 of 9656 Old 01-04-2014, 06:26 PM

Absolutely. Power cycled all components.
post #9577 of 9656 Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 AM

My Marantz AV7005 is still stuck in a REBOOT LOOP. It seems to power on normally, but a few seconds after I hear the "Main Zone" relay close the AV processor turns off then reboots. I first described the problem in post #9566. Since then I received an email for Marantz technical support suggesting that I do a NETWORK REBOOT. I accomplished this by pressing the ON / Standby and holding down the PURE DIRECT and the UP CURSOR. This procedure did not solve my problem.

Does anyone have a technical / service background that can point me in the right direction to solve this problem. Thank you for your help.
post #9578 of 9656 Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Sounds like there's something wrong with it, and it needs to be repaired.

My first 8801 was dropped by UPS (one corner of the box was mooshed), and did strange things. Swapped it for one that worked.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #9579 of 9656 Old 01-08-2014, 12:12 AM

I have had my av7005 for over a year now and love it I had every thing set up and running smooth. Then I got a new TV for Christmas (Samsung smart TV 6350) and have run into a problem. When trying to use source NET/USB on AV7005 the screen on my smart TV goes black and tells me to power the source. I can still navigate NET/USB through the tiny screen on the AV7005 but I cant get the display on my TV. Any suggestions.
post #9580 of 9656 Old 01-08-2014, 01:55 PM

I have tried different cables and still no luck.

FLOW with HDMI cables

Out of cable box
in to AV7005
ARC out of AV7005
in to ARC in on Samsung smart TV
post #9581 of 9656 Old 01-08-2014, 02:03 PM
585-645-1006

Try starting with not using ARC (actually, you're much better served using an optical cable from the TV to the AVR anyway) and turning Anynet+ and HDMI Control to OFF. Then turn off all devices, and unplug them all for 10 minutes. Plug all back in and turn the TV on first, wait 4-5 seconds, turn the AVR on, wait 4-5 seconds, and then finally turn on the cable box. If still no joy, connect the cable box (HDMI) directly to the TV with cable box (optical) to the AVR.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #9582 of 9656 Old 01-08-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Cable and satellite set-top-boxes (including DVRs) are notorious for having flaky HDMI implementations which often are intermittently incompatible with A/V receivers.

TV ARC is notorious for causing problems since HDMI CEC usually has to be enabled for it to work. Different companies implement CEC in different, often incompatible, ways.

In other words, the most reliable audio connections are
HDMI from cable box to TV for video
HDMI from A/V receiver to TV for all other video (i.e. connect other devices to receiver)
S/PDIF digital audio (either coax or optical) from cable box to receiver for cable audio
S/PDIF digital audio (either coax or optical) from TV to receiver for TV audio (over-the-air stations or "smart TV" network stations)

edited to add:
and use a programmable, smart remote (like the Harmony brand) to simplify control for the non-techies in the household

Selden
post #9583 of 9656 Old 01-08-2014, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the help. Have it working and very happy again. Here is what I did. First thing I did was turn off anynet and HDMI control. Then I unplugged everything and powered on in the order jdsmoothie mentioned. I was able to see the NET/USB menu but is was flickering on and off with major static. Then I switched from HDMI 1 ARC out on the the preamp to HDMI out 2. Now everything is working thank you so much.

As for SeldonBalls response he is correct if you have a smart TV that has apps like netflix and pandora and you want the sound to come from your home theater not the TV you need to use the optical cable. At least that was the only way I was able to get surround sound from my apps on my smart TV that is not so smart. It would be nice if the ARC did what its suppose to but I found a work around and that's good enough for me.

Now the question is should I fork out $100 and install airplay or just listen to music straight off my network.

Has anyone hooked up a decent phono preamp to there av7005 and compared it to the one built in. I think my next purchase will be a tube phone preamp. smile.gif
post #9584 of 9656 Old 01-08-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142

^Airplay is now free I believe, at least for the US:

http://us.marantz.com/us/airplay/index.html

Since (as is) it isn't wireless, doesn't carry video, and doesn't have high quality album art, it doesn't do much for me and seemed to lockup my (admittedly ancient) router at odd times, so I stopped using it and find a simple audio connection to my computer or iphone does everything I need, but YMMV.

Although phono preamps do differ very subtly, the main way they differ is in the level of the residual background hiss they put out, but this level is almost always completely swamped (masked) by the much higher level of record surface noise of even a brand new, clean record, so it seems a rather silly thing to be worrying about.  Money spent on a higher quality phono section than the one already built-in to the AV7005 would be better spent on:

- a higher quality cartridge with a flatter frequency response than the one you have

- a better turntable, perhaps used, but with a floating, suspended sub-chassis to reduce rumble and feedback distortion [AR, Linn, Thorens]

- newer records in better condition and/or a professional record cleaning machine

or if you are looking for a substantial reduction/elimination of platter wow, flutter, speed error, rumble, surface noise, hum, warp wow, off center spindle hole wow, mechanical noise,  inner groove distortion, tracking angle error, and distortion, plus excellent SNR, wide channel separation, accurate frequency response, and much great ease of use, then CDs and a disc player to play them.

Tube devices can work quite well, pretty much just as well as solid state designs if everything is done carefully, but they are a silly thing to purchase in this day and age. Your sources which say otherwise suffer from expectation bias, placebo effect, and have been duped by a pervasive mythology that plagues the audio world and is perpetuated by a large percentage of the "high-end" audio press [which just happens to accept advertising dollars from the vendors of tube designs].

fgsouza likes this.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #9585 of 9656 Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 AM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
^
[APPLAUSE] eek.gif

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #9586 of 9656 Old 01-19-2014, 07:17 AM

My AV7005 has suddenly stopped displaying *anything* on my TV (Mitsubishi WD52628). I have stripped everything down to one connection between the HDMI-1 input on the TV to HDMI-2 output on the AV7005 (using a hi speed HDMI cable) with nothing else hooked to the back of the preamp (other than speakers). When I turn the TV on, I see that it is operating (I can visually confirm that it is set to input at HDMI-1), but when the preamp comes on, nothing shows up on the TV. The preamp display operates normally, but no signal at all on the TV, no "Marantz" logo, nothing.

Have I screwed around with the preamp settings and accidentally turned off all TV display?

Thanks

post #9587 of 9656 Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 AM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
^
Make sure your pre-pro is not set to Pure Direct.

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #9588 of 9656 Old 01-19-2014, 01:08 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPerez View Post

My AV7005 has suddenly stopped displaying *anything* on my TV (Mitsubishi WD52628). I have stripped everything down to one connection between the HDMI-1 input on the TV to HDMI-2 output on the AV7005 (using a hi speed HDMI cable) with nothing else hooked to the back of the preamp (other than speakers). When I turn the TV on, I see that it is operating (I can visually confirm that it is set to input at HDMI-1), but when the preamp comes on, nothing shows up on the TV. The preamp display operates normally, but no signal at all on the TV, no "Marantz" logo, nothing.

Have I screwed around with the preamp settings and accidentally turned off all TV display?

Thanks

Try unplugging the 7005 for 10 minutes. Then power on the TV first, wait a few seconds, then the 7005, wait a few seconds, then the source device.

post #9589 of 9656 Old 01-20-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Tube devices can work quite well, pretty much just as well as solid state designs if everything is done carefully, but they are a silly thing to purchase in this day and age.

Meh...I think they look pretty nifty. Retro, a bit dangerous (well, maybe they are dangerous wink.gif), something different.

Probably not the best choice with cats or small children, considering the inherently hot nature of exposed tubes and 400V on the top plate connections.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #9590 of 9656 Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 AM

That appears to have worked, but only after I took out the hdmi connectors to my tv and went to component cables. My Mitsubishi WD52628 is apparently first generation hdmi and doesn't work well with any of my other hdmi compliant components. Geez, is it really time to upgrade my tv?

Thanks
post #9591 of 9656 Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPerez View Post

That appears to have worked, but only after I took out the hdmi connectors to my tv and went to component cables. My Mitsubishi WD52628 is apparently first generation hdmi and doesn't work well with any of my other hdmi compliant components. Geez, is it really time to upgrade my tv?

Thanks

Yeah; better get a Panny plasma while you still can. smile.gif

post #9592 of 9656 Old 02-03-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Recently upgraded my TV to a 1080p Panasonic plasma. Previous TV was 720p Panasonic plasma.

Now that the player is trying to send 1080p, I'm getting flashing and occasional gray screens of the player OSD when the HDMI is connected through the AV7005. Works fine if the player is connected direct to TV, or if I force the player output to 720p or 1080i.

Have tried different cables, same result. Have tried different inputs of AV7005, same result. AV7005 is set to no processing/scaling. OSD of the AV7005 is fine. Only the OSD of the player seems to be a problem when set to 1080p and going through the AV7005.

Anyone else had same/similar happen on their AV7005?

post #9593 of 9656 Old 02-03-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

When you say you tried different HDMI cables, did you verify that they're certified High Speed? Your symptoms are consistent with using "Standard Speed" cables, which would have worked fine for 720p but not necessarily for 1080p.

You also should try disabling "deep color" in the Blu-ray player.

Deep color unnecessarily increases the bitrate since, so far as I know, there currently are no commercial products other than a few high-end camcorders which use it. Of course, that'll change when HDMI v2.0 4K players become readily available.

Selden
post #9594 of 9656 Old 02-03-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know what the cables are certified as. But, it works just fine connected directly to the TV, whether it's by the cable that normally would connect it to the AVR or the 35ft HDMI cable that normally connects the AVR to the TV.

EDIT: Thank you! Disabling "Deep Color" seems to have stopped the flashing OSD problem. Still not getting why just the OSD is affected, not the movies themselves; they worked fine despite the OSD problem.

post #9595 of 9656 Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, while Deep Color may have no particular value, replacing the cables with some from BJC resolved the OSD problem. It's fine now even with Deep Color enabled.

While either of my previous cables worked fine with Deep Color enabled when direct to TV, together and through the processor was apparently enough stackup to muck up the OSD. Replacing the cable to the processor alone didn't do it, nor did replacing the cable between the processor and display. Took replacing both cables to make it right.

post #9596 of 9656 Old 02-09-2014, 07:45 AM

Hi. Finally had a chance to devote some time to learn about and hook up remote settings, zones, input modes surround modes, etc over the last few weeks. Wondering if I finally have the input mode rules worked out. Could someone please confirm if I have this right?

If I have a source device with only HDMI and Digital Optical outs [PS3 for now.]

And I want to:

- Play video from it in Main Zone
- Audio from it in 1,2,3:
- I want on screen volume and surround mode displays from the AV7005.

Physical hook ups can be:

- HDMI from PS3 to AV7005.
- Digital Optical from PS3 to AV7005.

Input Assign would be:

- Game + Digital

Input Mode would be:

- Auto ?????

Decode Mode would be Auto.

Have I gotten this right?
post #9597 of 9656 Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 AM
585-645-1006

Yup, with the understanding that the optical audio can only be PCM 2.0.

post #9598 of 9656 Old 02-18-2014, 02:08 PM

HDMI output1 not working on SR7005

Wife and kids say that the video went black while they were watching TV.

1. I have a cable-box and a Blu-ray as inputs.

2. Output1 connected to the TV.

3. Video works (output1) with Blu-ray selected.

4. No video (output1) with cable-box selected.

5. No video (output1) with cable-box moved to different input source.

6. Video works with cable-box selected and output2 connected to TV.

So right now I'm just operating with output2 connected to the TV, but I would like someone else's opinion if this a setup issue or a warranty issue. I've seen quite a few threads on the net relating the HDMI controller board to a POS. One person was fed up with his SR7005 after having serviced it 3 times in 3 years due to failing HDMI board.

post #9599 of 9656 Old 02-18-2014, 02:42 PM
585-645-1006

^^
More often than not it's due to a firmware update to the cable/sat box. The better configuration to avoid HDMI handshake issues with the cable box is to connect cable box (HDMI) to the TV with cable box (optical) to the AVR. Not sure what threads you're looking at, but AFAIK there is no major issue with the HDMI board on this model. There are always going to be a small % of defective units released and you generally ALWAYS read about them.

post #9600 of 9656 Old 02-18-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Note that this is the AV7005 pre/pro thread, not the SR7005 AVR thread, but the answer that JD provided is the same for both models.

Selden
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread - Av7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page