Marantz AV7005 - Page 323 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9661 of 9667 Old 10-21-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I don't think he uses Audyssey, although he should. Using maximum volume on the external "amp", actually a receiver in his case, will apply too much gain.

I use -10 dB on the Denon external receiver's EXT IN I use as my amp, regarding its volume knob. It seems to get the Audyssey calibration numbers in the right ballpark, but different sensitivity speakers, or if used at different distances than what I use, or in a different room would all undoubtedly net different values.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 10-21-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9662 of 9667 Old 10-21-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I do use Audyssey on the AV7005 and on the Denon, I'm running pure direct mode and just to be safe I set the EQ, speaker distance, etc. to zero.
On a side note I had much better results running Audyssey with the mic on a tripod than just setting the mic on top of the back of my couch. It was actually a night and day difference.
What I find odd is that I did not like sound after I ran the Audyssey on my Denon, however that was back when I purchased it in 2006.
Maybe my hearing has changed ..

The main reason for my question, was based on adding any unnecessary distortion running the Denon that high.

Thanks
post #9663 of 9667 Old 10-21-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood you originally when I said I didn't think you were using Audyssey.

Running the outboard receiver, as a power amp, is properly done with it set to "Direct mode" or "Pure Direct", yes, however if you select "Pure Direct" on your AV7005 [which is what I thought you meant in your earlier post, but must have misunderstood] you are no longer are using Audyssey and the various mic related corrections, nor your subwoofer output.
Sorry, my bad.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #9664 of 9667 Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmullaly View Post
On a side note I had much better results running Audyssey with the mic on a tripod than just setting the mic on top of the back of my couch. It was actually a night and day difference.

The location of the mic should be aiming straight up, biasing it slightly forward won't matter much but also won't hurt, however it has to be at exactly ear height at the seated ear position, and the back of the couch is not that location.
erhurd likes this.

post #9665 of 9667 Old 10-21-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
any time frame on the Atmos version?
post #9666 of 9667 Old 10-21-2014, 05:03 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1837 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
^^
The AV7702 is due to be released sometime next week.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9667 of 9667 Old 10-22-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
The AV7702 is due to be released sometime next week.
glad i asked
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread - Av7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page