Marantz AV7005 - Page 324 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #9691 of 9718 Unread 01-04-2015, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the AV7005 and a Pioneer BDP-62FD.
The connection is HDMI and the Pioneer is set to Bitstream.

When set to Auto, all the AV7005 will display is STEREO.

I thought it was an issue with the questionable RedBox discs but I just tried it with a boxed Ironman II.

Both the DVD and Blu-Ray only result in Stereo.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9692 of 9718 Unread 01-04-2015, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 347
You need to select the soundtrack you wish to hear in the movie's on screen menu. The default on many is stereo.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-05-2015 at 02:00 AM.
post #9693 of 9718 Unread 01-05-2015, 12:31 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 3710 Post(s)
Liked: 2181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
I have the AV7005 and a Pioneer BDP-62FD.
The connection is HDMI and the Pioneer is set to Bitstream.

When set to Auto, all the AV7005 will display is STEREO.

I thought it was an issue with the questionable RedBox discs but I just tried it with a boxed Ironman II.

Both the DVD and Blu-Ray only result in Stereo.

Any ideas?

Thanks
You can select a different surround mode by pressing the SURR button on the AV7005 remote.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #9694 of 9718 Unread 01-06-2015, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Need help :)

I'm stuck with a surround problem and desperately need advise. When I listen to a DVD-Audio disc, the surround balance is out of wack, sounds like the volume level is the same coming from all channels...

I have no such problem when watching a movie or concert video (all playing on same Oppo BDP-93). I understand that the codec is different but I'm just not able to figure out why ONLY my DVD-A's are so unbalanced front to rear. On Steely Dan's Two Against Nature for example, the voice is so far and muffled, overwhelmed by the surround tracks....

When I bring up ''audio info'' on screen, the 5.1 individual db levels appear OK however.

Go topless.

Last edited by roadster-s; 01-06-2015 at 08:08 AM.
post #9695 of 9718 Unread 01-06-2015, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

The AV7005 stores some settings not globally, but rather locally, so just because you calibrated or set the balance and settings that you like for one input, for example, doesn't mean you've done it for other inputs, codecs, video resolutions, etc.

You may need to reset the surround balance and calibration of the other parameters separately for that input, with that codec, with that video resolution. [And also consider maybe what you are hearing on that disc is indeed just how it was mixed.]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
post #9696 of 9718 Unread 01-06-2015, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
The AV7005 stores some settings not globally, but rather locally, so just because you calibrated or set the balance and settings that you like for one input, for example, doesn't mean you've done it for other inputs, codecs, video resolutions, etc.

You may need to reset the surround balance and calibration of the other parameters separately for that input, with that codec, with that video resolution. [And also consider maybe what you are hearing on that disc is indeed just how it was mixed.]
Agree. I'm aware that some settings are set locally but I thought I might be missing something else. I'm very familiar with the few (only two) DVD-A's that I own and it's very obvious that neither one is playing properly. Never had that problem before (always with the same components) I probably went a full year since last listening to either one, so the problem became obvious as soon as they started to spin. I guess I have no other choice but to manually reset the parameters for that codec then.

Go topless.
post #9697 of 9718 Unread 01-08-2015, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ground loop hum SOLVED! (sort of - at least the annoying hum is gone!)
I finally gave up chasing the exact source and put a "cheater plug" in at the wall before my Panamax power strip.
The only thing I hear from the L,C,R speakers is a very faint hiss.

Now what?
Basically, what does this "lifting" of the ground tell me?
Does it eliminate anything from the equation?
Is the slight hissing noise a sign of RF being picked up by my interconnects or speaker cable? Can this be eliminated too?

Last edited by DocTock993; 01-08-2015 at 05:19 PM.
post #9698 of 9718 Unread 01-08-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocTock993 View Post
I finally gave up chasing the exact source and put a "cheater plug" in at the wall before my Panamax power strip...
Now what?
Maybe Clark Griswold's wife, Beverly D'Angelo can come over to help?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Good luck.

post #9699 of 9718 Unread 01-08-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Maybe Clark Griswold's wife, Beverly D'Angelo can come over to help?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Good luck.
Funny! At this point I might have been willing to make a plug system like that to get rid of the hum.

But seriously, what now? At least I feel like it's not inherent in the components, but a grounding issue.
post #9700 of 9718 Unread 01-09-2015, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Like I said, it is a system problem not an individual plug's fault. You said in an earlier post that you could get your system to be free of hum but then after doing absolutely nothing (but I presume listening) it crept back in. That could happen again, right?

Cheater plugs are dangerous long term but if you keep all pets, plant watering devices, drinks, kids, falling objects away I doubt anything will happen if you just leave it with the cheater on it. [if by fluke there is an internal fault though, and the outer casing of some device gets shorted to the AC hot lead and if touched you or your cleaning person could be electrocuted, but what are the odds of that?
See if the issue stays good. If it does then you need some sort of heavy duty isolation transformer as a bandaid approach to fixing your setup since you don't seem capable of using a star grounding topology like I originally pointed out.

post #9701 of 9718 Unread 01-22-2015, 08:53 AM

My receiver has a problem (I think).

System: Sharp Elite TV, AV 7005, Anthem amp, Dish, Bluray, Roku. All connected with HDMI, some with analog, one with digital audio.

A couple of days ago, there was audio with no video. Different source, same no video. TV showed video on different source. I toggled HDMI. I turned everything on and off. I finally "fixed" it by plugging my HDMI output directly to the Dish. When I replace the HDMI out back to the AV7005 as it was, then video. Everything was skating in the right direction. Yeah team.

Then today, video with no audio. Audio in Zone 2 from multiple sources, No audio in zone 1 from any source. Amp appeared to be on. After toggleing a few settings, sound came back on. In retrospect, I should have did a reset and /or swapped HDMI cables. I run the system in significant other mode, IOW I just turn it on and switch to the proper source. Of course, these kind of problems bother my wife. She turns it on and it does not work. I cannot fix over the phone.

I suspect my HDMI cables. I did replace the cables with proper cable of the correct length. I hope it is not the long HDMI out, which is old. Since the Dish never goes totally off, perhaps the system gets out of sync and cannot get back to work.

Next time, I will try resetting Dish. Then unplugging HDMI cables, one source at a time. Then resetting the AV7005.

Any suggestions?
post #9702 of 9718 Unread 01-29-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Guys,

Something seems odd with my AV7005 and "missing" Audyssey EQ modes. I am only able to set "Audyssey" or "OFF". "Audyssey L/R Bypass", "Audyssey Flat" and "Audyssey Manual" are missing. Could there be a bug in my unit?

| Panasonic TC-P65S2 HD Plasma | Oppo BDP-93 | Paradigm Studio 100's v2 (mains) | Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 (center) | Paradigm ADP-370 v3 (sides surr.) | Paradigm Studio 20's v2 (sides + back surr.) | SVS PB13-Ultra(x3) | Marantz AV-8801 pre/pro | Emotiva XPA-5 (x2) |
post #9703 of 9718 Unread 01-29-2015, 10:21 AM
585-645-1006

^^
First step in troubleshooting any strange/weird behavior is to unplug the power cord for 10 minutes and see if that doesn't resolve the issue.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #9704 of 9718 Unread 01-29-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Page 115 of the manual discusses how to lock all the values of speaker size, distance, EQ, x-over, radio presets, input source renames, etc. into the non-volatile memory, then resetting the microprocessor to cure hiccups, and finally re-instating all the values stored in that deep memory you did in the first step [so you don't need to re-run Audysey, re-name the inputs, etc.].

post #9705 of 9718 Unread 01-29-2015, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Page 115 of the manual discusses how to lock all the values of speaker size, distance, EQ, x-over, radio presets, input source renames, etc. into the non-volatile memory, then resetting the microprocessor to cure hiccups, and finally re-instating all the values stored in that deep memory you did in the first step [so you don't need to re-run Audysey, re-name the inputs, etc.].

Yep... that is exactly what I did and is all good again... Thank you guys.

| Panasonic TC-P65S2 HD Plasma | Oppo BDP-93 | Paradigm Studio 100's v2 (mains) | Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 (center) | Paradigm ADP-370 v3 (sides surr.) | Paradigm Studio 20's v2 (sides + back surr.) | SVS PB13-Ultra(x3) | Marantz AV-8801 pre/pro | Emotiva XPA-5 (x2) |
post #9706 of 9718 Unread 01-31-2015, 12:10 PM

Ground loop "solved" in a safer manner by use of a Ebtech Hum X

On a separate note:

Is it possible to control the "Trigger" lines? In other words create a different "on state" for Trigger 1 and Trigger 2?
I'd like to have only my mono-block amps turn on when I am in Stereo mode. There is no need for my 5 channel amp to be on if I am not running surround mode.
I do have the ability through an RJ 45 Ethernet connector to connect to my multi-channel amp (Krell Chorus 5200), but my system does not have a computer controlling any aspect.
Also, I'm not likely to add a computer any time soon - the hum issue was sufficiently frustrating!
post #9707 of 9718 Unread 01-31-2015, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is there an android/kindle app available to access the network functionality of our AV7005? I downloaded the Marantz Remote App but discovered it does not work/recognize the AV7005, only the models that followed the AV7005. A little disappointed that Marantz has already forgot about us.

Sean
post #9708 of 9718 Unread 01-31-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ground loop "solved" in a safer manner by use of a Ebtech Hum X
That's only rated for perhaps 600 to 700 watts of AC power consumption. Your 250 stereo power amp alone draws
"Max. 1850 W" http://www.krellonline.com/archive_p...A_V000_MAN.pdf

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-31-2015 at 01:20 PM.
post #9709 of 9718 Unread 02-06-2015, 05:04 PM

Can any of the rear USB be used to power an external blower fan like this one?
post #9710 of 9718 Unread 02-06-2015, 05:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Can any of the rear USB be used to power an external blower fan like this one?
No USB's on the back of the AV-7005 - you thinking of a different model? Only one on the front so doubt you want to have a cord hanging out there and it might not serve the purpose anyway.
post #9711 of 9718 Unread 03-31-2015, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I bought a refurbed AV7005 from accessoriesforless in mid December. Just now, I noticed the sound on a playstation game seemed all wrong. Turns out I was getting zero sound from the mains. I have the 7005 paired with an Outlaw 755 amp. I set the 7005 to test signal, selected the right front, and switched the RCA plug from the right main channel of the Outlaw to the right surround. That way, if the amp channel had gone bad, I should get the right front test signal coming through the right surround. No dice - silence. Presumably, the Outlaw is working AOK.

So - my main L & R channels on the AV7005 both went dead at the same time. My 30 day return window with accessoriesforless is finished, but I'm well within the 1 year warranty period on factory refurb Marantz gear. Two questions:

1. Any idea how this could happen? I literally was in the middle of a game, so I didn't touch any of the controls. I can't think of a way to make just the mains go dead on purpose with the settings anyway. I tested it with my Directv box too and it was the same issue, so I know it's not the playstation.

2. Anybody dealt with warranty repairs with Denon? How was it? Any tips for making it a smoother process?

This is going to be a major, major pain in the ass. I am not looking forward to it.
post #9712 of 9718 Unread 03-31-2015, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you sure your speakers A/B switch under the front panel, just to the left of "HDMI out" didn't inadvertently get pressed?

post #9713 of 9718 Unread 03-31-2015, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Unless my dog opened it and pressed the button, yes. Nobody else lives in the house and I haven't opened the panel since the first week I owned it. They cut out while I was using it and handling only the PS3 controller.

WAIT!!!! You nailed it man, there's an A/B switch on the remote, which happens to be placed directly under the power button. High five! If you're anywhere Stevens Point, WI, I'll buy you a beer.
post #9714 of 9718 Unread 04-01-2015, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad to have helped. I wont be in your area any time soon but thanks for the beer offer.

post #9715 of 9718 Unread 04-16-2015, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi all.

Just a quick one - How can I get the AV7005 to display the audio bitrate of the stream from the player?

(I've had a couple of receivers in the past that could do this)

Thanks in advance...
post #9716 of 9718 Unread 04-16-2015, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The AV7005 will show the incoming signal sampling rate and format, but not the bitrate.

post #9717 of 9718 Unread 04-21-2015, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having a problem with my AV7005, info not being displayed on tv. All other modes such as HD Radio show correctly. Have tried unplugging unit for more than 10 minutes, have switched output to HDMI 2, have reset processor both saving and not saving settings, can navigate and use front display but would like to see info again on tv. Corrupt firmware? Also unit will not connect to Marantz server to download updates. Help!
post #9718 of 9718 Unread 04-21-2015, 01:09 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The Marantz servers are apparently down for the next 3-4 days so try again this weekend. Also, for the GUI to overlay on the source video, ensure the Video Convert (p. 70 Owner's manual) setting is enabled.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread - Av7005 by PriceGrabber.com