Marantz AV7005 - Page 326 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #9751 of 9760 Old 11-11-2015, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
As mentioned before I have a problem with my sr7005 going black occasionally.
I have a 10m cable to my projector, a sony hw-50es.
With a short cable the problem is gone.

Anyone with the same equipment have a 10m cable that works?
If so, what cable do you have?

Last edited by Trond-Eirik; 11-11-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9752 of 9760 Old 11-11-2015, 10:17 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7311 Post(s)
Liked: 3365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond-Eirik View Post
Hi
As mentioned before I have a problem with my sr7005 going black occasionally.
I have a 10m cable to my projector, a sony hw-50es.
With a short cable the problem is gone.

Anyone with the same equipment have a 10m cable that works?
If so, what cable domyou have?

You should be able to resolve the issue by adding an HDMI signal booster like the one linked to below ...

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_i...FdgGgQodSGkG4g

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
Authorized dealer: Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #9753 of 9760 Old 11-17-2015, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You should be able to resolve the issue by adding an HDMI signal booster like the one linked to below ...

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_i...FdgGgQodSGkG4g
I tried a signal booster (cheep one), bit it made no difference.
Changed the cabel to a monster cable - and that fixed the issue.
I have also had some green disturbance in part of the picture when using some programs, for example tidal. That is also gone now.
post #9754 of 9760 Old 11-18-2015, 02:30 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond-Eirik View Post
I tried a signal booster (cheep one), bit it made no difference.
Changed the cabel to a monster cable - and that fixed the issue.
I have also had some green disturbance in part of the picture when using some programs, for example tidal. That is also gone now.
The quality of the cable is indeed important.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #9755 of 9760 Old 11-18-2015, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 449
The gauge of the wire matters, for longer runs, but not much else. All HDMI cords rated for high speed, even cheap ones, are fine for short distances.

c/net: http://www.cnet.com/news/why-all-hdm...-are-the-same/

NBC News: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/38731070/n.../#.VkxMbOSFM2w

PC Magazine: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385346,00.asp

ZDNet: http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-hdm...-really-dying/

Techdirt: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ood-will.shtml

Gizmodo: http://www.wired.com/2007/12/wayde-of-gizmo/

http://consumerist.com/2008/02/08/mo...ff-80-markups/

http://www.theguruguys.com/news/the-...d-cables-again

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/23/m...ys-electronic/

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=546405

http://lifehacker.com/5506219/why-yo...or-hdmi-cables

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
post #9756 of 9760 Old 01-26-2016, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello:

I've been a longtime lurker to this forum and for the most part love my AV7005. However, I have come across an issue that I cannot seem to rectify. I currently have 3 video input sources that are connected through HDMI. They are a DirecTV receive, an OPPO Blu-Ray player and a HTPC. As mentioned, all are connected via HDMI and then a HDMI cable goes from my Monitor 1 to my Plasma (Samsung pn58B550T2). The HDMI run to my Plasma is 15M. I have had this set up since 2011 with no issues. Then about 6 months ago, I started getting some picture issues for my HTPC and BDP. For each of these, the picture is noisy (snow) and flickers. The snow isn't exactly the typical tv snow. It's hard to describe, but it moves around the picture along with the action on the screen and doesn't exactly cover the entire screen. It's almost as if there are packets of information being dropped. It started happening out of nowhere. However, the DirecTV picture is absolutely flawless whether it is standard definition, 1080i or 1080P (in demand movies). I have changed each of the component HDMI cables with no luck. I have switched up the inputs, but this does not solve the problem either. I assume there is no problem with my HDMI cable from the AV7005 to my Plasma since I get perfect picture for the satellite receiver. Through the menu, I have checked the quality of the HDMI input. HTPC and BDP are RGB, while the satellite receiver is YCbCr.

Is there any reason at all that one component would work fine, but the others don't? As I mentioned, everything worked flawless for 4+ years. Any suggestions on additional troubleshooting would be appreciated.
post #9757 of 9760 Old 01-26-2016, 05:37 PM

Liked: 0
Hello:

I've been a longtime lurker to this forum and for the most part love my AV7005. However, I have come across an issue that I cannot seem to rectify. I currently have 3 video input sources that are connected through HDMI. They are a DirecTV receive, an OPPO Blu-Ray player and a HTPC. As mentioned, all are connected via HDMI and then a HDMI cable goes from my Monitor 1 to my Plasma (Samsung pn58B550T2). The HDMI run to my Plasma is 15M. I have had this set up since 2011 with no issues. Then about 6 months ago, I started getting some picture issues for my HTPC and BDP. For each of these, the picture is noisy (snow) and flickers. The snow isn't exactly the typical tv snow. It's hard to describe, but it moves around the picture along with the action on the screen and doesn't exactly cover the entire screen. It's almost as if there are packets of information being dropped. It started happening out of nowhere. However, the DirecTV picture is absolutely flawless whether it is standard definition, 1080i or 1080P (in demand movies). I have changed each of the component HDMI cables with no luck. I have switched up the inputs, but this does not solve the problem either. I assume there is no problem with my HDMI cable from the AV7005 to my Plasma since I get perfect picture for the satellite receiver. Through the menu, I have checked the quality of the HDMI input. HTPC and BDP are RGB, while the satellite receiver is YCbCr.

Is there any reason at all that one component would work fine, but the others don't? As I mentioned, everything worked flawless for 4+ years. Any suggestions on additional troubleshooting would be appreciated.
post #9758 of 9760 Old 01-26-2016, 05:41 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck344 View Post
Hello:

Change the resolution to 720p. If the BDP and HTPC now work without issue, try adding an HDMI extender.

------------

post #9759 of 9760 Old 01-26-2016, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'm far from being an expert...

OK, you've determined that your HDMI cables are not the problem. If you haven't tried this already, using your 15m HDMI going to your Plasma, connect that cable directly to your Oppo and later to your HDPC. If everything is fine, it's your Marantz at fault.

After some 5 years, mine acted up - the video going to black for a second when playing some DVDs and Blu-rays, inability to pull-up menus and on-screen volume graphics missing.

My Marantz is on its way to United Radio in East Syracuse, NY per Marantz's recommendation. I wish you well, the 7005 is a wonderful processor, when it works!
post #9760 of 9760 Old 01-26-2016, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck344 View Post
Is there any reason at all that one component would work fine, but the others don't?

Yes. Each device has effectively a signal "amp" for the HDMI output and they vary in strength. If one of them is borderline it may be fine one year but then the next year, as the connections get loose and ever so slightly oxidizes the once "just barely works, but it does" connection suddenly acts up. A dead giveaway for this is finding that when disconnecting the cable at both ends, then reconnecting, snuggly, the problem goes away...at least for a while. A quick, easy, free test! As jdsmoothie mentioned, 720p is easier to conduct, so that also points to the same issue.

15M is a long run so an inline HDMI booster amp may be in order or one of the "Redmere" style cables [Monoprice] that exist now which effectively have a booster amp embedded in the cable itself and are bus powered.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-26-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page