Marantz AV7005 - Page 327 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
post #9781 of 9795 Old 05-09-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 702
^ Yup, that's the way to go. I have had great success with a similar product which calls itself an inline "surge/lightning protector" however it's transformer is what kills the ground loop problem. Some people roll their own with common parts leftover from the days of VCRs when we sometimes needed to change from 75 ohm to 300 ohm ribbon cables, or the other way around. Only some of these piggybacked methods work because the ground isn't always perfectly isolated, however I thought to mention it if you happen to have these two, once common parts in you junk drawer anyways:http://flynwill.rosshay.com/Electron...backtoback.jpg
As the author of that link http://flynwill.rosshay.com/Electronics/antIso/ mentions:
"The problem is that it seems that a lot of these sort of Baluns are NOT isolating.
This is easy enough to test with a multimeter. Test for continuity between the shield of the 75 ohm connector and either of the connections on the 300 ohm side. In this case I got lucky -- the balun on the left is isolating. However the other one on the right is not. I tested the 6-8 units I had in my grab bag of these and only found this one that provided the needed isolation."

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-09-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9782 of 9795 Old 07-01-2016, 04:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered.

I am wondering what level you use for the subwoofer channel (in settings, test tone, channel level) for the AV7005. When I leave it at zero, I would have leave the Gain (level) Controls at 1 o'clock position on my Crown XLS2500. I read a couple of articles where is is advised that the controls on the Crown should be left at maximum. Does it mean that I should reduce the level of the subwoofer in the pre-amp?

Hope the question make sense as I am new. Thanks.

Luke
post #9783 of 9795 Old 07-01-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

You should put the gain control on your sub at half way and use the Marantz supplied microphone calibration system, Audyssey, to determine what works best for that particular room shape and sub placement. As long as the value it determines is not pegged off scale (that is, +12 dB or -12 dB) then that gain setting on the sub's amp is good to go. [Although some people like to tweak this level slightly, after it has been determine by measurement, to suit personal taste.]

There's a lot of audio mythology out there, including in this forum, that certain sub output level values work better than others perhaps based on very early subs made in the 1970/80's which didn't have as much latitude in terms of what levels they could easily accommodate, but with modern designs this shouldn't be a problem as long as you are not pegged off scale, like I just warned about.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-02-2016 at 07:25 AM.
post #9784 of 9795 Old 07-02-2016, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi M. Zillch,

Thanks for the response. I'll give that a try.
post #9785 of 9795 Old 08-09-2016, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love my 7005. I thought I was set for many years after it replaced a Lexicon MC-1 in 2011. Now I'm looking to replace my 05, 50" plasma. I'm very disappointed to hear the 7005 won't pass 4K content. Is there a workaround to get 4K movies via the TV HDMI rather than going through the processor? Hate to think I have to buy a new processor because the one I have so quickly became obsolete. Thanks.

Jerry
post #9786 of 9795 Old 08-09-2016, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, the 7005 can't do 4K no matter what. If you only buy 4K devices with dual (simultaneously active) outputs you can send the sound to the 7005 and the image straight to the TV. unfortunately this means you have to switch the audio and video separately.

4K can make a big difference, but only if you sit close enough or otherwise the added detail just isn't discernable. Check out the charts to see how incredibly close one would have to sit to a 50" screen before you make the plunge:
http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

post #9787 of 9795 Old 08-09-2016, 04:20 PM

Thanks so much m.zillch. You and your chart made me feel better about it all. I was thinking about 65 inches, and according to your link, I should be fine with 1080P.

Jerry
post #9788 of 9795 Old 08-09-2016, 08:11 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9813 Post(s)
Liked: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermar View Post
Thanks so much m.zillch. You and your chart made me feel better about it all. I was thinking about 65 inches, and according to your link, I should be fine with 1080P.
Give it another 2-3 years and 8k TVs should start being released so you can skip 4k and go straight to 8k, not too mention Atmos/DTS:X should be much more readily available as well.

If you are forced to go 4k (due to 1080p TV going bad), you can purchase a dual HDMI 4k Blu Ray player and the HD Fury Integral can be used if you want to pass the 4k/HDCP 2.2 video through the AVR.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #9789 of 9795 Old 08-09-2016, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Luckily 1080 isn't going to go bad any time soon since it and 720 are the US HDTV broadcast standards which, if I'm not mistaken, the FCC mandates must be provided for.

post #9790 of 9795 Old 08-13-2016, 02:09 PM

So far, I've been very happy with the 7005's upscaling performance such that there's really not that much difference between DVD and Blu-ray discs in our opinion (me, my wife and my brother) when watching movies on our admittedly "low end" Vizio TV (a several years' old 55" model.)

Granted there's probably some responsibility for that on the source material to be sure but we have rented the latest and greatest Blu-ray discs AND the same movies on DVD and we are really hard pressed to determine the difference between the two.

Sure, maybe our eyes aren't calibrated and we are old. I get that. But I popped in the latest release of Star Trek (2009) in both Blu-ray and DVD last night and they looked the same to us. So that either says a lot about the Vizio, the Marantz, or our eyes. Whatever it is, I see no need to upgrade to 4k at all given our experience and we continue to buy/rent DVDs instead of Blu-ray. Cheaper and really just as good.

I say don't sweat it and just enjoy.

Kevin
post #9791 of 9795 Old 08-13-2016, 02:28 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkar View Post
So far, I've been very happy with the 7005's upscaling performance such that there's really not that much difference between DVD and Blu-ray discs in our opinion (me, my wife and my brother) when watching movies on our admittedly "low end" Vizio TV (a several years' old 55" model.)

Granted there's probably some responsibility for that on the source material to be sure but we have rented the latest and greatest Blu-ray discs AND the same movies on DVD and we are really hard pressed to determine the difference between the two.

Sure, maybe our eyes aren't calibrated and we are old. I get that. But I popped in the latest release of Star Trek (2009) in both Blu-ray and DVD last night and they looked the same to us. So that either says a lot about the Vizio, the Marantz, or our eyes. Whatever it is, I see no need to upgrade to 4k at all given our experience and we continue to buy/rent DVDs instead of Blu-ray. Cheaper and really just as good.

I say don't sweat it and just enjoy.

Kevin

More than likely it's the distance you are seated from the TV as HD distances are much shorter. If you are seated more than 7' away from a 55" TV, there is likely to be no difference between 720p and 1080i/1080p.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #9792 of 9795 Old Today, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi all.

Just a quick question.

I've just bought a Presonus Temblor T10 subwoofer, which can reach down to 20Hz.

Most of the time, it will live in my Edit Suite, paired with two KRK VXT 6 active studio monitors.

Occasionally though, I'll want to move it out to the loungeroom HT system where it will be used with the AV7005 and three KRK 10-3 studio monitors.
They already have superb bass response down to around 35Hz, so I'll only bother when playing LFE-heavy content.

Question - Can the AV7005 be configured with presets to work both ways, so the crossover will simply turn on or off with a button-push?

Many thanks in advance.
post #9793 of 9795 Old Today, 06:55 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Haggis View Post
Hi all.

Just a quick question.

I've just bought a Presonus Temblor T10 subwoofer, which can reach down to 20Hz.

Most of the time, it will live in my Edit Suite, paired with two KRK VXT 6 active studio monitors.

Occasionally though, I'll want to move it out to the loungeroom HT system where it will be used with the AV7005 and three KRK 10-3 studio monitors.
They already have superb bass response down to around 35Hz, so I'll only bother when playing LFE-heavy content.

Question - Can the AV7005 be configured with presets to work both ways, so the crossover will simply turn on or off with a button-push?

Many thanks in advance.

It's a little more involved than that as you would have to run Audyssey for each configuration and then store each Audyssey EQ to a PC file and then load each file (~10 min) to the AVP with each configuration change.

------------

post #9794 of 9795 Old Today, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
It's a little more involved than that as you would have to run Audyssey for each configuration and then store each Audyssey EQ to a PC file and then load each file (~10 min) to the AVP with each configuration change.

This is news to me. The AV7005 allows you to load speaker configurations from an external source? I don't think this is in the manual. Do you have a link with more details? Thanks in advance.

Are you talking about buying a (several hundred dollar, last time I checked) "Audyssey Pro kit"?

post #9795 of 9795 Unread Today, 12:00 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
This is news to me. The AV7005 allows you to load speaker configurations from an external source? I don't think this is in the manual. Do you have a link with more details? Thanks in advance.

Are you talking about buying a (several hundred dollar, last time I checked) "Audyssey Pro kit"?
I'm simply referring to using the Web Control SAVE/LOAD feature (p. 58 Owner's manual) for each Audyssey EQ (ie. one with and one without the sub).

------------

Last edited by jdsmoothie; Today at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread