Marantz AV7005 - Page 327 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #9781 of 9784 Old 05-09-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 620
^ Yup, that's the way to go. I have had great success with a similar product which calls itself an inline "surge/lightning protector" however it's transformer is what kills the ground loop problem. Some people roll their own with common parts leftover from the days of VCRs when we sometimes needed to change from 75 ohm to 300 ohm ribbon cables, or the other way around. Only some of these piggybacked methods work because the ground isn't always perfectly isolated, however I thought to mention it if you happen to have these two, once common parts in you junk drawer anyways:http://flynwill.rosshay.com/Electron...backtoback.jpg
As the author of that link http://flynwill.rosshay.com/Electronics/antIso/ mentions:
"The problem is that it seems that a lot of these sort of Baluns are NOT isolating.
This is easy enough to test with a multimeter. Test for continuity between the shield of the 75 ohm connector and either of the connections on the 300 ohm side. In this case I got lucky -- the balun on the left is isolating. However the other one on the right is not. I tested the 6-8 units I had in my grab bag of these and only found this one that provided the needed isolation."

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-09-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9782 of 9784 Old 07-01-2016, 04:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered.

I am wondering what level you use for the subwoofer channel (in settings, test tone, channel level) for the AV7005. When I leave it at zero, I would have leave the Gain (level) Controls at 1 o'clock position on my Crown XLS2500. I read a couple of articles where is is advised that the controls on the Crown should be left at maximum. Does it mean that I should reduce the level of the subwoofer in the pre-amp?

Hope the question make sense as I am new. Thanks.

Luke
post #9783 of 9784 Old 07-01-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 620
You should put the gain control on your sub at half way and use the Marantz supplied microphone calibration system, Audyssey, to determine what works best for that particular room shape and sub placement. As long as the value it determines is not pegged off scale (that is, +12 dB or -12 dB) then that gain setting on the sub's amp is good to go. [Although some people like to tweak this level slightly, after it has been determine by measurement, to suit personal taste.]

There's a lot of audio mythology out there, including in this forum, that certain sub output level values work better than others perhaps based on very early subs made in the 1970/80's which didn't have as much latitude in terms of what levels they could easily accommodate, but with modern designs this shouldn't be a problem as long as you are not pegged off scale, like I just warned about.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-02-2016 at 07:25 AM.
post #9784 of 9784 Old 07-02-2016, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi M. Zillch,

Thanks for the response. I'll give that a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page