Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #9811 of 9832 Old 01-28-2017, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks JDSmoothie, I'll try that.

m.zillch - I don't think I explained the setup correctly. There is only one system, everything goes through the 7005. The passthrough works fine in standby, the 7005 isn't outputting the sound through the amp to the speakers, it is going to the tv speakers. Only when I turn the 7005 off and back on will it output correctly through the amp. It doesn't matter if I'm using the Xbox, Directv, Oppo, etc. It seems to be a handshake issue, could be the combo with this Sony, maybe it's the order each component is being powered (checking that now). I do use a Harmony remote to run the setup. Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 9832 Old 01-28-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
By "two audio systems" I meant the little amp in the TV and TV's own built-in speakers as one system and the Marantz AV7005 and it's connected amp and speakers as the second. As I understand it you currently toggle between those two systems, depending on who is operating the system, you or your wife, and HDMI doesn't always play friendly when doing that.

HDMI has hand shake problems for millions of people, by the way, not just you. One of the main reasons I bought the AV7005 is because it has 4 HD component inputs, which is a lot, so if I ever encounter a scenario where I can't get HDMI to play nicely I can abandon it completely and switch down to component connections, limited to 1080i, since I'm of the mind the advanced audio systems which only can travel through HDMI and not optical digital are not really important. [This view is extremely rare.]

Last edited by m. zillch; 02-07-2017 at 12:02 PM.
post #9813 of 9832 Old 02-07-2017, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I was amazed to see a popup for new firmware today. It downloaded in about 5 min. Anyone know what this update does?
fgsouza, Face2, BobK88 and 1 others like this.

post #9814 of 9832 Old 02-09-2017, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermar View Post
I was amazed to see a popup for new firmware today. It downloaded in about 5 min. Anyone know what this update does?
Since the latest software load my AV7005 turns on and off itself. Still trying fo find out what's wrong! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kris
fgsouza likes this.
post #9815 of 9832 Old 02-09-2017, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2730 View Post
Since the latest software load my AV7005 turns on and off itself. Still trying fo find out what's wrong! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kris
I was skeptical about installing it. I haven't noticed any changes but haven't really used it. I can't believe there's no info on what it supposedly fixed.
fgsouza likes this.
post #9816 of 9832 Old 02-09-2017, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15370 Post(s)
Liked: 7517
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermar View Post
Fixed the inability to log on to Pandora.

http://marantz.custhelp.com/app/answ...tail/a_id/3943
post #9817 of 9832 Old 02-10-2017, 10:31 AM

Thanks Smoothie, saved us some time! 1st update in years on the old girl.
schalliol likes this.
post #9818 of 9832 Old 02-27-2017, 06:20 PM

Hooray on the pandora firmware update!

--Rayfes
post #9819 of 9832 Old 04-25-2017, 03:25 PM

Liked: 0
Hello,

I am experiencing a similar issue. First the AV7005 stopped outputting HDMI (on either output).

Attempted a factory reset which did not resolve the issue.

Now factory reset does not even work... (attempting again after making some changes)

Any advice would be much appreciated ~ still digging for solutions...
post #9820 of 9832 Old 04-25-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15370 Post(s)
Liked: 7517
As the unit is most likely out of warranty, consider upgrading to a more current model.
post #9821 of 9832 Old 05-19-2017, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi All,

Well, after many many years of great performance by my AV7005, a few days ago - my right front channel became very static-y.

I factory reset my AV7005 and that didn't help. I also switched the front left speaker with the right, and it's definitely that channel that's problematic. I am not quite sure if it's my AV7005 or the MM9000 that it's plugged into. I need to do some cable swapping to see if the MM9000 is to blame.

Not sure what happened, but I'm pretty sure it would cost a lot to fix. :-(

Anyone have any advice or other tests before I resort to a repair shop?

- Thanx
- Jon

Last edited by jbauer; 05-19-2017 at 06:39 PM.
post #9822 of 9832 Old 05-20-2017, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
Hi All,

Well, after many many years of great performance by my AV7005, a few days ago - my right front channel became very static-y.

I factory reset my AV7005 and that didn't help. I also switched the front left speaker with the right, and it's definitely that channel that's problematic. I am not quite sure if it's my AV7005 or the MM9000 that it's plugged into. I need to do some cable swapping to see if the MM9000 is to blame.

Not sure what happened, but I'm pretty sure it would cost a lot to fix. :-(

Anyone have any advice or other tests before I resort to a repair shop?

- Thanx
- Jon
Hopefully it's just a bad cable. Switch the bad speaker input (interconnects coming from preamp) on the back of the amp with a good one. If the problem is still in the same channel, then it's the amp. Switch speaker wire to rule that out as well. If it changes with the cables, try to change it with another one. If the problem follows the cable, replace it. If not, the problem is the preamp. Once we narrow it down, we can try to troubleshoot further. Best of luck
post #9823 of 9832 Old 05-20-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIN27 View Post
Hopefully it's just a bad cable. Switch the bad speaker input (interconnects coming from preamp) on the back of the amp with a good one. If the problem is still in the same channel, then it's the amp. Switch speaker wire to rule that out as well. If it changes with the cables, try to change it with another one. If the problem follows the cable, replace it. If not, the problem is the preamp. Once we narrow it down, we can try to troubleshoot further. Best of luck
Thanks for the note.

This morning, I determined that it's definitely the AV7005. I moved the cable that was feeding my front left to the front right on the AV7005, and the static stayed on the same channel.

Ok, so other than bringing it to a shop, any other ideas for things I might be able to do?

- Jon
post #9824 of 9832 Old 05-20-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the note.

This morning, I determined that it's definitely the AV7005. I moved the cable that was feeding my front left to the front right on the AV7005, and the static stayed on the same channel.

Ok, so other than bringing it to a shop, any other ideas for things I might be able to do?

- Jon
How did you move the cable? If it didn't change I would suspect the amp.
post #9825 of 9832 Old 05-20-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIN27 View Post
How did you move the cable? If it didn't change I would suspect the amp.
I tried replacing the cable from the MM to the AV (the right front cable) with a whole new one - same static.

Then, I plugged the cable that was going to the left front channel on the AV into the right front channel on the AV, and I still had the static.

That points to an issue on the AV, right?

- Jon
post #9826 of 9832 Old 08-10-2017, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Help with Marantz Pre/Pro

Hello everyone. I have a Marantz Preamp AV7005 which is probably 6-7 years old (somewhere around there anyways). For the past several months, out of the blue if I'm using it (listening to two channel audio or watching a movie), it will shut it self off, and then immediately turn itself back on. It will then repeat this process over and over again until you physically push the power button to turn it off manually. Volume doesn't seem to make a difference either whether loud or soft. Currently the only connected components are two Emotiva amplifiers, wired network (RJ-45), HDMI blu-ray, HDMI Roku, and HDMI out to my projector. This unit is plugged into a Furman Elite-15 which is plugged into a dedicated 20amp run to my breaker.

If I unplug it and let it sit for a few days, sometimes it will go weeks before this problem presents itself again.

Any thoughts on what to do? It's obviously out of warranty at this point and I don't want to spend a ton of money shipping it to a repair center.

I'm sure my fiance' won't be thrilled at the idea of buying an equivalent replacement with a wedding around the corner either.......lol

Thanks in advance for any advice!

"That reminds me Marty, you might not want to hook up to the amplifier; there's a slight possibility of overload." - Doc
post #9827 of 9832 Old 08-12-2017, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
AV7005 DACs

Also posted in the Chromecast Audio thread.

I have been using a few of these devices to provide whole house audio for a year or so. A few months back I switched two of them from analog audio to digital audio out. One is connected to a Marantz AV 7005, an AV processor from 5 or 6 years ago. The AV 7005 can handle digital audio files up to 96 KHz. It cannot play 192 KHz 24 bit files. The Chromecast Audio device can play the 192 KHz files, and outputs PCM audio to the AV 7705. I was surprised that in this configuration the 192 KHz files can be played through the AV 7005.

What is going on here? Does the 96 KHz limit in the AV 7005 only apply to decoding the FLAC files and the DAC's can actually handle 192 KHz PCM? Or is the Chromecast Audio device downconverting the 192 KHz files to 96K PCM (or less) output?

I've tried to find specs on the Chromecast Audio devices, but can't find this level of detail.

Can any of you shed any light on this?

Thanks!

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
post #9828 of 9832 Old 08-12-2017, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop View Post
Also posted in the Chromecast Audio thread.

I have been using a few of these devices to provide whole house audio for a year or so. A few months back I switched two of them from analog audio to digital audio out. One is connected to a Marantz AV 7005, an AV processor from 5 or 6 years ago. The AV 7005 can handle digital audio files up to 96 KHz. It cannot play 192 KHz 24 bit files. The Chromecast Audio device can play the 192 KHz files, and outputs PCM audio to the AV 7705. I was surprised that in this configuration the 192 KHz files can be played through the AV 7005.

What is going on here? Does the 96 KHz limit in the AV 7005 only apply to decoding the FLAC files and the DAC's can actually handle 192 KHz PCM? Or is the Chromecast Audio device downconverting the 192 KHz files to 96K PCM (or less) output?

I've tried to find specs on the Chromecast Audio devices, but can't find this level of detail.

Can any of you shed any light on this?

Thanks!
I was able to confirm on a new receiver that the Chromecast Audio optical out downconverts to 96KHZ PCM.

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
post #9829 of 9832 Old 08-21-2017, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schmidt View Post
Hello,

I am experiencing a similar issue. First the AV7005 stopped outputting HDMI (on either output).

Attempted a factory reset which did not resolve the issue.

Now factory reset does not even work... (attempting again after making some changes)

Any advice would be much appreciated ~ still digging for solutions...
Late to the party, but I have a possible solution.

Check if Zone 2 is enabled. If it is, turn it off and try the microprocessor reset again.

I, too, was having the problem where the reset didn't work (the front panel display didn't flash when I powered up the unit while holding "surround mode" and "auto").

After I turned off Zone 2, it worked.

I wasn't even using Zone 2. I must have accidentally enabled it via the buttons on the remote at some point.

I learned about this from Marantz tech support. Unfortunately, they didn't mention it until after three or four rounds of email exchanges. They should've mentioned it as soon as I reported the problem, and it should be in the FAQs at their website. smh.

I was trying the reset because the audio output had become a garbled and distorted. This is a periodic problem. Strangely enough, it resolved itself before I did the reset.

Bob
post #9830 of 9832 Old 08-25-2017, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Thanks for the note.

- Jon
This is interesting. I have the av7005 amd there 7055 amplifier , and a few months ago I had this static discharge sound in my rear left channel . It happens at start up , and does its thing for approx 15-30 minutes, then goes away ?
I was going to reset the computer to see if it would resolve it , but it just recently corrected itself. I had this feeling a reset wouldn't resolve it though .
I was going to trouble shoot it , but been lazy and assumed it was the 7005 causing the issues .
I cannot remember my past issues , but I remember resetting the computer a half dozen times for one reason or another .

Was going to jump ship and buy an Anthem 60 , but recently learned they don't have a built in music client like the Marrantz, so I'm keeping the Marrantz for now .
The av7005 is on a power filter , and it's a dedicated 20amp circuit going to the stereo .
I am replacing the amp very soon , either an anthem P5 or Arcam's P49 and P349 .
I was hoping that would correct this static issue, but I believed it was the av7005 causing it all this time , and you guys have pretty much figured out as much .
I want better amplifters regardless if it helped or not though.

Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 08-25-2017 at 06:09 PM.
post #9831 of 9832 Old 08-25-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
This is interesting. I have the av7005 , and about a month ago I had this static discharge sound in my rear right channel . It only happens at start up , and does its thing for approx 15-30 minutes. I was going to reset the computer to see if it would resolve it , but it just recently corrected tself.
I was going to trouble shoot it , but been lazy and assumed it was the 7005 causing the issues .
I cannot remember my past issues , but I remember resetting the computer a half dozen times .
Was going to jump ship and buy an Anthem 60 , but recently learned they don't have built in music client like the Marrantz.

The av7005 is on a power filter , and it's a dedicated 20amp circuit going to my stereo .
I am replacing the amp very soon , anthem P5 , so I was hoping that would correct this static issue , but I believed it was the av7005 causing it regardless .
I need more power regardless if it helped or not though
Yeah. It's nuts. I replaced my AV7005 with an AV7702 mk II and then I STILL had the issue. Couldn't figure out where it was. Brought my MM9000 in for repairs and it checked out fine. Replaced all the cables. Still had the issue. Was about to give up, and then it WENT AWAY BY ITSELF and HASN'T RETURNED YET!!!!!

I have NO idea what it was, or why it stopped, but for now, I'm thankful.

- Jon
post #9832 of 9832 Old 08-25-2017, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Yeah. It's nuts. I replaced my AV7005 with an AV7702 mk II and then I STILL had the issue. Couldn't figure out where it was. Brought my MM9000 in for repairs and it checked out fine. Replaced all the cables. Still had the issue. Was about to give up, and then it WENT AWAY BY ITSELF and HASN'T RETURNED YET!!!!!

I have NO idea what it was, or why it stopped, but for now, I'm thankful.

- Jon
Wow this is definitely weird . I'm using 500 bucks worth of xlr cables to .
It's a PITA to access my rack , so I have left it assuming it was the processor.
Otherwise I'm happy , other than voices dropping out in my center channel with certain movies . But that's another story I guess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page