post #1441 of 9656 Old 11-28-2010, 04:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

Anyone running a ~35ft HDMI cable from pre/pro to display with one of these? How's it working for you?

only 25 feet here (i feel small )... works fine for me with a bjc f2 belden cable... haven't tried it with anything else...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 9656 Old 11-28-2010, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidadi View Post

Wondering if anyone can answer these two questions:
1) When using two subs with this processor, when I run the Audyssey, I only hear the tone out of the sub1 or in my case left sub. Is this normal? How can it be accurate if the whacking sound only comes from one sub yet my music and movies come out of both?
2) can I do a simulcast whereby 2 sources share an hdmi? I want to be able to have satellite or blurray playing while listening to iTunes. I should be able to assign any input to any source. It is so easy to implement and yet it seems Marantz locks you out of using any input more then once.

1) that doesn't sound right, but i don't have 2 subs so i can't test it for you (actually i do, but i'm not hauling the other one upstairs, i don't need a coronary right now... ). first place i'd start is to check my connections. drop a question in the audyssey thread as well.

2) see my earlier discussion in this thread with pprao.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #1443 of 9656 Old 11-28-2010, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Not claiming I am an expert but I thought gauge really relates to analog connections with copper (or other material) conductors in the middle. For HDMI, I don't think it has the same correlation for HDMI unless thickness is just a general indication of quality but I don't think HDMI cords really come in different gauges in the sense that the diameter of the conductor is relevant (they do come in different gauges but I think it indicates quality of cable and how thick the rubber sleave is)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Although the signal traveling through an HDMI cord is digital, it still is an electrical signal traveling through a wire and therefore if the resistance is too high, due to an inadequately thin gauge and/or too long of a run, then it wont work properly unless intermediate signal boosters (amplifiers, aka "repeaters") are put in place along the run. [Using a 22 gauge wire for short distances of a meter or two would be overkill, however.]

what mz said... there's still copper in there... and signals still have to travel on it...

it'd be nice if it wasn't that way... we could use nice spaghetti thin hdmi cables to connect everything...

- chris

post #1444 of 9656 Old 11-28-2010, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alour View Post

I have read the specs on the AV7005 and am interested to see how actual users are using it? I am a "traditionalist" in the sense that when I want to hear music I get off the couch and put a disc in the player. Are you using the networking features to stream audio files from your PC to the unit and if so how does is compare quality wise to a CD in a player next to it? Also, Pandora radio etc, is it worth it? I would be willing to change for convenience sake only if the quality is not compromised.

How are you using the AV7005?

"sorta" traditionalist here... i have not used the internet radio features, but i do stream from itunes (via a mac mini)...

i did play briefly with internet radio on a previous unit...

it's entirely source dependent... for example, in a blind test, i would wager that streaming a high bit rate file from itunes would be indistinguishable from cd... internet radio, while not necessarily "indistinguishable", is more than adequate for "every day background music" listening...

it's a little amazing how many bits you can "throw away" with a "modern" perceptual codec... if you want some "good hard data" and want to spend some time, check out hydrogen audio...

- chris

post #1445 of 9656 Old 11-28-2010, 04:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerickso View Post

I think I have it figured out. I put my SPL-12 SW in factory default mode , 0 phase, 30/100 volume level (no eq ran) and the clincher, set the mode to Jazz/classical (the so called reference mode - no eq). Then I ran Audyssey. No more punchiness

I increased the 'amp' volume from -20 to -10dB after noticing that Audyssey was repeating the first test tones at a higher volume. My trims still are +5dB for the fronts/center and +8dB surrounds and -5 dB for the SW.

I would now like to widen the center field from just the center to a little bit on to the L/R's as I like it that way. I saw the setting to do such once but cannot see it again. I'll read the manual. Thanks Chris for the suggestions.

good deal! 1 issue down....

as far as "widening the center field"... i believe that is only an option when using matrixing (dplii, dsx, etc.)... search for "width" in the pdf manual...

- chris

post #1446 of 9656 Old 11-28-2010, 05:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg_1 View Post

Has anyone used Audssey on the AV7005 with large (full range) speakers for the L/C/R/SL/SR? I tried it, but it set the crossover at a higher frequency. I had to manually enter the crossover.

i have "almost full range" mains (even though audyssey is convinced, as always, that all my speakers are "large")...

crossover settings are highly speaker/sub/setup/room dependent... 80 is a good place to start (assuming that audyssey didn't set it higher), and for a lot (most) users, a good place to end too (for many reasons, and if warranted, we can discuss this)...

after starting at 80, experiment...

- chris

post #1447 of 9656 Old 11-28-2010, 05:10 AM

Liked: 14
Don't know if this has already been posted, but Hrmony has uploaded the codes for the unit

My question now is: If I've entered and set-up most of the codes manually myself, will downloading the file from Harmony modify in any way my activities, preferences or button position settings/on-screen positions?
post #1448 of 9656 Old 11-28-2010, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

it would be a new "device" (i.e. it wouldn't overlay your existing setup)...

if you want to use the new device that you download from the harmony site, you'll have to change all your activities to use the new device, and also do any modifications that you desire to that new device...

iirc, no real easy way to do this, short of manually setting it up...

- chris

post #1449 of 9656 Old 11-28-2010, 06:20 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i have "almost full range" mains (even though audyssey is convinced, as always, that all my speakers are "large")...

It's not Audyssey that selects the LARGE setting, rather the Marantz is doing that, just as it sets the crossover settings as well. This is why it's okay to reset any LARGE speakers to SMALL as well as increasing crossovers to 80hz as it has no effect on the Audyssey filtering. On Denon AVRs, if a speaker is able to go below 45-50hz when the test tone is run, then the speaker is set to LARGE, otherwise it's set to SMALL. It's likely a similar range on Marantz AVRs as well.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1450 of 9656 Old 11-28-2010, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yea, i understand what goes on behind the scenes... i referred to it as "audyssey setting them" since people are more likely to understand it that way, since they get set as a result of running audyssey...

it works the same way with mcacc... and i gave up LONG ago attempting to explain to people the "why/how" behind it (which is the logic behind my first sentence ), since some simply can't wrap their heads around the fact that just because their speakers are "big" that they shouldn't be set as "large"... and so on....

- chris

post #1451 of 9656 Old 11-28-2010, 06:58 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

^^^

it would be a new "device" (i.e. it wouldn't overlay your existing setup)...

if you want to use the new device that you download from the harmony site, you'll have to change all your activities to use the new device, and also do any modifications that you desire to that new device...

iirc, no real easy way to do this, short of manually setting it up...

Thanks Chris. Since I already have all of my activities/buttons/etc... set up for my system, I'm going to leave things as they are. Besides, loading everything manually gave me a great opportunity to learn a lot about the remote's software.
post #1452 of 9656 Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 AM

Liked: 11
I am new to FLAC and playing MP3's over my main system. I have played MP3's only on my Ipod/Iphone thru earphones. Never thought I would play MP3's on my main setup because of the lack of quality.

Few Questions from a rookie in this field:
1- Can u use a standard external drive and just put music files on it from home PC then hook up external to the main system via USB?
2- Do you hook up the source hard drive with the music files to the AV7005 or thru Blu Ray player such as the new Oppo BDP-93?
3- Can you rip CD's, SACD's, DVD-Audio discs to the External drive and if so how do u do this? Also, can u rip multichannel SACD?
4- Apple Loseless vs FLAC what is best quality?

Many thanks. I will be getting the AV7005 soon and am trying to figure out this brave new world of music source to feed it.
post #1453 of 9656 Old 11-28-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

fwiw, i use itunes on a mac mini connected directly to the marantz... i've done it the "apple way" for years, first with an airport express and then with an appletv... besides the "apple way", there's many ways of skinning the streaming cat...

however...

since you mention "ipod/iphone", i'm guessing you are an idevice kind of guy (like me)... very shortly (as in 3 days), we should be getting the airplay upgrade... then you will not require a hard drive hooked up to your pre-pro at all, you'll just be able to stream from your iphone or anything that is running itunes...

airplay (assuming correct implementation) really IS gonna be the best thing since sliced bread... a lot of us are waiting quite anxiously for it... there are a LOT of people out there with idevices... imo, this is gonna be a great feature... used in combination with the wizz app and the apple remote app, it's got a lot of "real world usage" possibilities (unlike most "features")...

some answers...

- yes. assuming correct formatting and music files that the avr will recognize.

- either way works. i'd use whichever one has the best user interface.

- 3 part answer:
o cd - yes, easily.
o dvd-a - yes, a bit more difficult
o sacd - no.

- both. as they are "lossless" codecs, neither is of "better quality". "lossless" is exactly that, lossless. what goes in, comes out.

- chris

post #1454 of 9656 Old 11-28-2010, 12:47 PM
vvv

Liked: 10
I am strongly considering the av7005 but have a few set-up questions:

I have a Panasonic blu ray player, xbox 360, and direct tv DVR today. This will eat up three of the 5 rear HDMI inputs on the Marantz.

I also have a Velodyne DD-18. In addition to they typical sub out, this sub needs an analog left and right audio input to an input on the receiver for set-up and a composite or s-video connection so I can see the on screen eq info. I like to keep this stuff plugged in at all times using a remote control macro to access it when tweeking is needed.

I believe I can maximize the Marantz inputs by sending the video portion from the Velodyne directly to my TV and use the CD input on the Marantz for the audio portion of the sub set-up. I think this keeps my ability to use all 5 of the rear HDMI inputs from the Marantz.

In the future, I plan on getting an apple TV and would like to do a HTPC at some point. This would have me max-ed out on the HDMIs in the rear with the Marantz.

Am I thinking this through correctly?

It's hard to judge the future but who wouldn't want a little insurance.

I just don't want to get the Marantz and realize that I am short on inputs and have to juggle or leave the front door open.

If any owners have opinions, or can confirm or deny my assumptions, please let me know.

In my eyes this is one of the most important HT decisions, I want to live with this piece for a while.
post #1455 of 9656 Old 11-28-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:

My connection is about 30 feet as my equipment is in an entertainment center on the side of my room and the cable has to run underneeth the room and up behind the TV. I think the question is can an HDMI signal run that length without any issues and my answer is yes. It worked fine with my last Denon 4810 and now fine with the av7005.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

I am (30 ft to be more exact), but it is important to note it's a rather heavy gauge (24). If I were to do it again, I'd get even thicker still, (22), just to be on the safe side. These sorts of cords from vendors such as Monoprice are a fraction of the cost I originally paid for mine many years back.

Quote:

only 25 feet here (i feel small )... works fine for me with a bjc f2 belden cable... haven't tried it with anything else...

I have the 24ga "Tartan" brand from BJC when they were clearing them out. It works 99% of the time from my BD player to display, but every now and then I'll have to give it a second try. Certainly isn't a make or break deal, just curious as I think about going with a AV7005 in place of my AVM 20v2.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #1456 of 9656 Old 11-29-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

@vvv...

1) if you run out of inputs, hdmi switches are cheap...

2) see my/pprao's discussion earlier in this threads on assigning/associating inputs... keep in mind that the pre-pro considers the "audio" to be the baseline for inputs, not the video... post back if the referenced discussion doesn't make sense or needs clarification...

- chris

post #1457 of 9656 Old 11-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sorry if this has been covered, I am on page 36. I just got my 7005 last night. I have it hooked up to a switch>switch>router>cable modem. Does this little guy really need to be hooked directly up to the router? It's not talking to my router going through the switch.
I replaced a Denon 3808ci, the surround sound is a massive upgrade over the Denon.

ok, I found the issue. I did a switch reset and it worked like a charm. sorry need to go and listen to more music.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #1458 of 9656 Old 11-29-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

nope, I have mine hooked to a switch.

hmmm... thinking about what your problem might be...

- chris

post #1459 of 9656 Old 11-29-2010, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Sorry if this has been covered, I am on page 36. I just got my 7005 last night. I have it hooked up to a switch>switch>router>cable modem. Does this little guy really need to be hooked directly up to the router? It's not talking to my router going through the switch.
I replaced a Denon 3808ci, the surround sound is a massive upgrade over the Denon.

Just to note a bit further, hooking up to a network of switches is equal to going into the router's built in switch. If you get issues of performance on your network, we can look into the speed of the switches, connections, etc. I don't have an AV7005, but can likely help. Probably this should go offline though, so PM me if you'd like a bit of help troubleshooting.
post #1460 of 9656 Old 11-29-2010, 10:10 AM

Just put my order in over at OneCall.com after working a good deal and of course they are backordered but oh well I can wait. They said that they can't keep this in stock.

So while I'm waiting I was going to order my XLR cables over at monoprice to pair it up with my XPA-5 and I wanted to see what type do I need. Is it Male to Female? Thanks in advance.

So excited to hook this up. Going to be replacing an old Denon 3803.
post #1461 of 9656 Old 11-29-2010, 10:19 AM

Yes, male to female on the XLR. I just ordered these myself from monoprice.com (and will be auditioning the AV7005 this weekend at a local dealership).
post #1462 of 9656 Old 11-29-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I have the av7005 and I already have the XLR connectors from Monoprice that I ordered a few weeks ago..do I win anything
post #1463 of 9656 Old 11-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

No you can hook it up as you like. My AV7005 is hooked up to a wireless client which is talking to a wireless repeater which in the end is talking to my wireless router. Works fine. I used Webradio and did the firmwareupdate this way.

HD-EP35 & PS3 & (soon to be) Regionfree Oppo BD-93. 148 : 481
post #1464 of 9656 Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 AM

Slightly off topic a bit, but still relevant:

Although Monoprice XLR cables themselves are good, the connectors remain questionable to me. Quality XLR connectors are the ones from Neutrik that you will see on cables from Blue Jeans Cable (BJC), BetterCables.com and even from some boutique cables. I had a ground loop hum on my right surround speaker using Monoprice XLR cables of 15 ft. length. When I switched to another cable with a Neutrik connector, the hum went away. I plan on sending back all of my Monoprice XLR cables and will probably use BJC or Markertek that uses Neutrik connectors.

Monoprice is good for digital cables and one should be cautious with analog cables, without getting in to voodoo of high-end boutique cables, keeping in mind validated electrical engineering principles.
post #1465 of 9656 Old 11-29-2010, 11:48 AM
vvv

If you are planning on getting an Apple TV to hook up to the Marantz AV7005, is it redundant to pay for the airplay upgrade? Am I missing anything here?
post #1466 of 9656 Old 11-29-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yes. you would stream to the atv at that point.

one thing i'm not sure of, and that would be zone processing. we need to see how it's actually implemented first.

i pulled my mac mini from the rack yesterday in anticipation of the airplay upgrade to re-purpose it, since it had been reduced to simply being an itunes server... so it had BETTER be implemented right...

- chris

post #1467 of 9656 Old 11-29-2010, 12:07 PM

So...If I decide to do Audyssey wides and rerun audessey..Does it find them automatically and after I do so do I need to engage anything for them to work ?
post #1468 of 9656 Old 11-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Liked: 18
I read in the specs that this unit would handle add'l high or wide front speakers. In looking through the manual there doesn't appear to be any balanced connections for these add'l speakers...only unbalanced connections. Am I missing something?

Klipsch RF-7II(2)
Klipsch RC-64II
Klipsch RS-62II(2)
Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Velodyne HGS-15
HSU VTF-15H
Marantz AV8801
Emotiva XPA-5
Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
post #1469 of 9656 Old 11-29-2010, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by promike View Post
I read in the specs that this unit would handle add'l high or wide front speakers. In looking through the manual there doesn't appear to be any balanced connections for these add'l speakers...only unbalanced connections. Am I missing something?
You are reading it right (unbalanced only for high or wide). I have the unit and looked into this recently. BTW, I work in Taylor Mill but live in Cincinnati (Kenwood). Small world.
post #1470 of 9656 Old 11-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
You are reading it right (unbalanced only for high or wide). I have the unit and looked into this recently. BTW, I work in Taylor Mill but live in Cincinnati (Kenwood). Small world.
You said it! I have the Onkyo PRS-C5507 which will do 9.2. I was looking at going to the 5508 when I found the Marantz. It seems like an absolute steal for what it does. I beleive there is a Marantz above this one that is due for an upgrade. Maybe I'll wait a while.

Klipsch RF-7II(2)
Klipsch RC-64II
Klipsch RS-62II(2)
Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Velodyne HGS-15
HSU VTF-15H
Marantz AV8801
Emotiva XPA-5
Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors