AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg_1 View Post

Slightly off topic a bit, but still relevant:

Although Monoprice XLR cables themselves are good, the connectors remain questionable to me. Quality XLR connectors are the ones from Neutrik that you will see on cables from Blue Jeans Cable (BJC), BetterCables.com and even from some boutique cables. I had a ground loop hum on my right surround speaker using Monoprice XLR cables of 15 ft. length. When I switched to another cable with a Neutrik connector, the hum went away. I plan on sending back all of my Monoprice XLR cables and will probably use BJC or Markertek that uses Neutrik connectors.

Monoprice is good for digital cables and one should be cautious with analog cables, without getting in to voodoo of high-end boutique cables, keeping in mind validated electrical engineering principles.

Finally someone with common sense! It seems like monoprice is the holy grail for everyone, but people tend to forget that analog cables have much difference requirements than digital cables.

I 100% agree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 9658 Old 11-29-2010, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Promike, you could run a 9.1 ch system using the balanced outs (XLR) for 7.1 of the channels and the extra two from the unbalanced outs (RCA). Although poorly documented/labeled, Marantz calls this (and you need to turn on) "Speakers A+B"). That's my read of the manual, at least. [recanted in post #1475, pending further testing]

Keep in mind XLRs have no inherent sonic advantage, despite the audiophile BS myth otherwise. Their exclusive advantage is they are less susceptible to picking up additional noise (usually hum) over long runs, [while maintaining the audio's existing noise in the signal quite well ], rather common in a recording studio environment but less common in a singular stereo rack in our homes.

As was pointed out earlier by another forum member, some gear, including a reviewed Marantz amp, may actually have inferior performance (worse S/N ratio) when using balanced connections!

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #1473 of 9658 Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^^^I can believe that as longer runs of well shielded cable, but not necessarily low loss (less attenuation), will attenuate the signal.

The Marantz AV7005, in my system, seems to be more susceptible to ground loop hums than my previous pre-pro the Proceed AVP2. I suspect the AVP2 had better shielding and isolation around its connector outputs. With the Proceed AVP2, I couldn't tell the difference using unbalanced or balanced connections. With the Marantz AV7005, there is a difference and even between different types of balanced cables, it seems I have to be more careful and re-think my cabinet layout to shorten distances between the pre-pro and my Proceed amps.
post #1474 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 07:26 AM
vvv

M Zill,

please elaborate about the 9.2 capability. what speakers could you put in place using the A+B configurations and how does that translate into a surround sound set-up?
post #1475 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

^ I recant what I wrote in my last post pending further testing/exploration.

According to the manual (at least), one can't select both surround back and front wide speakers simultaneously, however, using manual setup (sorry, no supplied microphone use allowed) with Amp assignment set to "normal", one can indeed set the levels of 9.1 independent channels, including also distance, crossover frequency, and size for all 9 at the same time. [front wides plus the normal seven]

Perhaps 9.1 is allowed but only without the use of Audyssey calibration, perhaps? I don't have nine speakers and amp channels handy to do further testing at the moment. I'd also suspect using a recording with an active Dolby Digital EX flag present may possibly be pertinent as well. They are rare in my collection but I do have some. [The movie "The Village" comes to mind.]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #1476 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

From reading Outlaw's guide, the situation as I understood it was that the processor can only have seven speakers active at a time (suggesting it uses an eight-channel DAC), so you can set DSX to use either Wide or Height speakers - and when it is engaged in either mode (or when PLIIz is engaged), the surround back speakers will not be used.

gonk
Beta tester:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1477 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 12:13 PM
vvv

So to be clear....if this was possible in the manual domain, it would be with a traditional 7.1 setup (back and side surrounds) and with front width speakers.

Not with front height speakers....correct?

BTW, I can see how front height speakers could be cool for things like gaming (Ex: chopper flyovers in Modern Warfare) but how are front width speakers a good idea?

Proper placement and set-up of front speakers should produce a nice soundstage with effective imaging. What would the advantage be to adding a second set of width speakers?

My guess is that the feature is meant for ultra small sat speakers that cannot properly reproduce a large soundfield as a matched pair.

I would be happy to admit that I am mistaken. Can somebody clue me in?
post #1478 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 12:16 PM
vvv

BTW, that Outlaw guide is sweet. I cannot believe that they went through all the trouble to write an instruction book for an instruction book.

Marantz should be paying them.

They must really be serious about selling av7005s and not interested in going down the rocky Emotiva Pre-amp development road.
post #1479 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 12:46 PM
vvv

Does anyone know if the AV7005 will output both HDMI and Component video outs at the same time with the same video source?

I'm pretty sure you can't output the same HDMI source to two displays at the same time. I think you have to toggle.
post #1480 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

that would be a very smart move by them...

as far as the heights/widths... sorry, can't help there... haven't even bothered to think about it... heard a couple that were "reasonably well set up", and it didn't seem worth the effort to me... others, i'm sure, will have a different opinion...

ymmv... i'm more than satisfied with a 5.1 setup... i had a 7.1 setup in here at one time, and it was not as "good", as i had to make some pretty big compromises to make it fit...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #1481 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvv View Post

Does anyone know if the AV7005 will output both HDMI and Component video outs at the same time with the same video source?

I'm pretty sure you can't output the same HDMI source to two displays at the same time. I think you have to toggle.

hmmm... good question...

possibly if:

- you used zone 2 for the component output...
- did a video assign to the component inputs...

gotta think more about that... it definitely would not send a hdmi video input to the component outs...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #1482 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 PM
vvv

The application in question would be watching something on a projector on one end of the room and then on an LCD perhaps in a bar area of the same basement. Superbowl Party style.
post #1483 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

BTW, that Outlaw guide is sweet. I cannot believe that they went through all the trouble to write an instruction book for an instruction book.

Marantz should be paying them.

They must really be serious about selling av7005s and not interested in going down the rocky Emotiva Pre-amp development road.

They did the same thing with the SMS-1. Much better than the original Velodyne version.
post #1484 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The application in question would be watching something on a projector on one end of the room and then on an LCD perhaps in a bar area of the same basement. Superbowl Party style.

gotcha.

like i said, i gotta think about it and see what the manual might give up for information on it, but it "might" work if you treat one of the displays as "zone 2" (even though it's in the same room)...

later tonight i'll spend some time with the manual and see if it even hints at a solution... i don't have a second display up here to try it on, and i can't easily haul the other one upstairs...

- chris

post #1485 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

something to note, if it's only tv we are talking about, most boxes have both the hdmi and component outputs active at the same time... if that's the case with you, it makes it a lot easier...

- chris

post #1486 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 03:00 PM

Hello Eveyone

Ordered my AV7005 today, which will replace the Integra 9.8 which is up for sale.
i will be using my Anthem MCA20 and MCA 50 amps.
Here is a review of the SR 7005 if anyone is interested

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...-715712/review
post #1487 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Glide View Post

Hello Eveyone

Ordered my AV7005 today, which will replace the Integra 9.8 which is up for sale.
i will be using my Anthem MCA20 and MCA 50 amps.
Here is a review of the SR 7005 if anyone is interested

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...-715712/review

You are in for a treat...I made the same move from the Integra and I am thrilled with the sonics of the Av7005 vs. the Integra 9.8.
post #1488 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 03:52 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minge View Post

You are in for a treat...I made the same move from the Integra and I am thrilled with the sonics of the Av7005 vs. the Integra 9.8.

I went from the 9.8 to the AV8003 and never looked back...
post #1489 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 06:03 PM
vvv

Wow lots of Marantz converts from Integra.

So new AV7005 owners, are you comparing the 9.8 to the AV7005 from a digital or analog comparison?

I figured the Marantz would be better from an analog standpoint, but how does it compare HDMI to HDMI?
post #1490 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 07:02 PM

Add another Integra convert to the list. Going to go AV7005, Emotiva UPA-1 x3 for my front soundstage and the XPA-5 for surround duty. I can't wait for it all to arrive to power my JTR Quintuples x3 and slanted 8's x4! Christmas is coming early!

My build thread....

post #1491 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 07:29 PM
vvv

Hey MicroMax,

Couldn't help but notice the interesting amp set-up you got. I have a Emotiva XPA-5 and absolutely love it.

I have considered the UPA / XPA combination. How do they blend together?

Do you notice a big difference with mono blocks up front?

The XPA-5 is stupid powerful on it's own. I told myself it would be like splitting hairs to do mono blocks up front...especially for 95% home theater duty.

What are your thoughts?
post #1492 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromax View Post

Add another Integra convert to the list. Going to go AV7005, Emotiva UPA-1 x3 for my front soundstage and the XPA-5 for surround duty. I can't wait for it all to arrive to power my JTR Quintuples x3 and slanted 8's x4! Christmas is coming early!

my goodness... is your room the size of an auditorium?

- chris

post #1493 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 08:42 PM

44'x15'....so kinda She is under construction right now.....hoping to be complete by the Super Bowl

My build thread....

post #1494 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 08:45 PM

I'll let you know once they arrive. I was told they ship the end of this week. The XPA-5 caused a touch of a delay since they didn't have any. I realize they put out a ton of power, but in my situation with the JTR's, more headroom should really open them up.

My build thread....

post #1495 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

hmmm... good question...

possibly if:

- you used zone 2 for the component output...
- did a video assign to the component inputs...

gotta think more about that... it definitely would not send a hdmi video input to the component outs...

I've been supporting a second TV in the bedroom in my old system, but I would hate to have to run duplicates in analog for everything again when I could go HDMI and be clean. If one wanted to only transition from one room to the other, could they just switch the HDMI output from 1 to 2 in software? Heck, 1.4a supports some Ethernet use. I really wish this pre/pro had a 5x2 matrix for HDMI.
post #1496 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just ordered an AV7005 today and will use my Sony ES receiver as an amp for the interim to drive a Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v5 front, Studio CC-690 v.5 center, Studio 20 v.1 in the rear and a dual 12" push/pull MK sub with upgraded drivers (really like that sub). When I can afford it, I'll go for a dedicated amp/set of amps and maybe go to 7.1. Right now I use a 1080p 2010 LG LED-backlit LCD 32" that will go to the bedroom when I buy a 2011 46/47 next summer.

In addition to TiVo, Blu-ray (old PS3) and DVDs, etc, I have a Network Attached Storage device with most of my audio in Apple Lossless Codec, and this unit has an integrated iTunes server. I also have a Mac mini in the well ventilated cabinets and use iPads and iPhones. I use a Xantech IR network and a Philips Pronto NG remote with RF to IR and I have an IR to RS-232 bridge in case that proves useful. I will be interested in seeing how this all will work most seamlessly together!

Just had to write-in that I'm excited and introduce what I'm working with if it proves useful to anyone!
post #1497 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only one HDMI output can be active at a time.

The component out for zone 2 can either be from the same main source's incoming component feed (but not a downconversion of its HDMI feed, as is the case with virtually all receivers) or it can be a different source selected by the front panel button "zone select".

Keep in mind all sources for zone 2 out must arrive in component form from their sources as well as having accompanying RCA analog sound arriving as well. The zones won't extract the digital sound from an incoming HDMI signal, nor the video, and also wont convert from an incoming Toslink/coaxial digital sound signal either (with the exception of PCM stereo, according to the manual).

I've relabeled my Zone 2 out to read "Record Out" because it does just that for me. I can record one HD video signal while I'm watching another . [In previous setups I've also used my "zone out" selection as my TV's PIP feed]

post #1498 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So to be clear....if this was possible in the manual domain, it would be with a traditional 7.1 setup (back and side surrounds) and with front width speakers.

Not with front height speakers....correct?

Correct. In the manual setup page there is no settings for front heights nor are they shown on the 9.1 speaker icon image, only front wides are shown.

I'd assume what gonk says the Outlaw manual describes is correct but if anyone out there has nine speakers and nine channels of amps ought to try, just to be sure.

post #1499 of 9658 Old 11-30-2010, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you are planning on getting an Apple TV to hook up to the Marantz AV7005, is it redundant to pay for the airplay upgrade? Am I missing anything here?

With the Marantz Airplay you will only get audio--as I learned from the Marantz guy at a demo day--so with the AppleTV you can stream both audio AND video.

erik g
post #1500 of 9658 Old 12-01-2010, 03:24 AM

Liked: 14
Recently jumped on the AV7005 wagon myself, after having used a Denon AVR-3300 pre-amp section for the last several years. The 7005 is now the heart that controls my XPA-1's driving Swan F2.2+ fronts, Rotel RMB-1095 driving a Swan 2.3C+ center, R3 surrounds and C3 back surround. It is a truly melodious ensemble thruout the theater room now, thanks in good part to the Audyssey's fine job!

My dedicated home theater room:
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread - Av7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page